Yfw qualcomm server/workstation processor engineering samples out in the wild

>yfw qualcomm server/workstation processor engineering samples out in the wild

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/10918/qualcomm-demos-48core-centriq-2400-server-soc-in-action-begins-sampling
fudzilla.com/news/processors/42586-intel-is-covering-qualcomm-s-success
9to5google.com/2016/12/24/why-chromebooks-dont-use-qualcomm/
lkml.org/lkml/2016/5/3/279
lkml.org/lkml/2015/5/28/868
lkml.org/lkml/2017/1/13/111
lkml.org/lkml/2016/11/1/155
lkml.org/lkml/2016/2/17/88
lkml.org/lkml/2015/6/9/172
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Who fucking cares.

t. Pajeet being paid 10ยข/hr by Intel

An ARM sever chip? That thing must have an insanely low TDP, or a shit load of cores.

anandtech.com/show/10918/qualcomm-demos-48core-centriq-2400-server-soc-in-action-begins-sampling

"No performance numbers were shared and the company did not open up the boxes so not to disclose any further information about the CPUs"

Must be really good, right guys?

Are you sure it's not just a shopped AyyyMD?

>running a server from a phone
RIP internet

@58473628
t. literal shit for brains

it's fine pajeet, not everybody has the brain capacity for new things, don't beat yourself up.

so how much FPS GTAV have?

>qualcomm
how about my lack of a face when it's fucking nothing

pls go

Can it play overwatch at 60FPS

Hopefully it gets more traction than AMD Seattle did (more than none, in other words). Did they ever sell anything other than dev boards?

they did buy a couple patents from AMD when they ditched ARM to go buy ATI (iirc), including all of their mobile IP's -- deal of the century for qualcomm.. or anyone, actually.intel does.

How did they actually become market leaders?
Their CPUs suck, they've always sucked.

>qualcomm server/workstation processor

Oh boy, something to replace my itanium rig with.

Good radios

I know you're joking, and don't own one, but I'd genuinely would love to have an Itanium machine. Just for funsies.

As someone whose worked on some of the old HP ones before, you don't.

I've got RS/6000s and SPARCs, yes I do. Just to flesh out the collection.

>can't natively run x86 software
>emulation of x86 software incurs a huge performance penalty
>dogshit IPC
>dogshit efficiency
can't wait

Will qualcomm actually sell them to anyone? Cavium wont let anyone sell thunderx at retail to smaller businesses and individual users.

why?

There already are ARM based servers and they're ok for small sites.

>Qualcomm and ARM processors are exclusively for smart phones.

Why would you need x86 software on a server?

The thing that will kill Qualcomm in the server/workstation market is the same thing that already keeps Qualcomm SoCs out of Chromebooks.

9to5google.com/2016/12/24/why-chromebooks-dont-use-qualcomm/

>yfw it's not a Samsung Exynos workstation processor

kys if the answer isn't "so I can run VMS"

If Qualcomm can do Windows 10, I am sure they will also Chromebooks this year. I can't imagine ChromeOS being more difficult to support with drivers than Windows 10.

>HP ones
fuck off nigger, at least your shit could actually run an operating system other than WS2k3
you've got it easy

The real problem is Google requires open source drivers for Chrome OS.

Companies like Red Hat aren't likely to have much enthusiasm for Qualcomm's CPUs either for the same reason.

Qualcomm have always been complete assholes when it comes to drivers and as the Android community have found, they lose interest in supporting drivers for older hardware very quickly.

That's a big processor.

How are there MediaTek and Exynos ChromeBooks if they are required to open-source their drivers? They are even worse than Qualcomm when it comes to supporting ROMs.

00000100 you

Because they open source their drivers.

lkml.org/lkml/2016/5/3/279
lkml.org/lkml/2015/5/28/868
lkml.org/lkml/2017/1/13/111
lkml.org/lkml/2016/11/1/155
lkml.org/lkml/2016/2/17/88
lkml.org/lkml/2015/6/9/172

Qualcomm are the absolute worst, there's only ROM support because they're common in US phones and people hack binary driver blobs into new ROMs. Qualcomm offers no support for any custom ROM or linux kernels, drivers etc. They are by far the worst SoC manufacturer in existence.

I bet it's going to be a locked down piece of shit with encrypted microcode and firmware and bootloader and you'll have like 3 version 3.X kernels to choose from like every other qualcomm CPU lmao

ARM really needs to do something to get ARM SoC vendors under control. Give them slightly reduced royalty rates if they provide proper kernel and driver support.

I was actually complaining to ARM on twitter recently, surprisingly they replied straight away. I don't think anyone has even tried nagging them to push for better support.

ARM people are really sweethearts, they give you manuals and guide's for only registration, they also fund linaro to make open source software for ARM, it's just companies like qualcomm, allwinner, mediatek that are vile and try to sneak in backdoors / keep tighter control over something you paid for. there are good vendors like NXP and Marvell who give you latest kernels and open firmware but they dont produce mobile SoC (with graphics etc chips sadly).

If we pushed Marvell to make a quad core A72 SoC with Mali they'd wipe out these sleazy chink companies

>If we pushed Marvell to make a quad core A72 SoC with Mali they'd wipe out these sleazy chink companies
I keep trying to get in contact with marvel about their A72 ARMADA but they won't reply to anything, I even have my own company and email with company domain etc. The main problem is they use AVnet for all their sales, any attempt to contact them gets forwarded to my local AVnet office who will not sell me marvel products. They claim marvell isn't selling ARMADA 8040s to anyone and try to tell me I should buy FPGA products from them instead.

Have you seen this, rockchip announced at CES you can now link multiple RK3399 SoC clustering both CPU and GPU power. No tech websites seemed to cover it so details are scarce.

>sleazy chink companies

Qualcomm isn't a chink company but it is run by Jews

Yeah, which is why it will be dead on arrival even if the chip's performance is amazing.

Which it probably wouldn't be anyway since it's probably just MOAR CORES 2: electric boogaloo bringing nothing else worth a shit to the table you can't do better with a GPU or Phi anyway

Isn't this a pure server CPU without iGPU/SoC though? It shouldn't need drivers

CPUs need drivers too, you just don't need to bother with them.

YEAR OF THE ANDROID DESKTOP

>Isn't this a pure server CPU without iGPU/SoC though? It shouldn't need drivers
You can't even boot qualcomm SoCs with basic a linux install and SSH into it let alone use it for anything. The difference with qualcomm is if you go to them and say I want to buy 500,000 SoCs can you help provide drivers for linux they just say fuck off.

Samsung, Ti, AMlogic and a few others will be happy to work on them if you're buying their products. Freescale/NXP use to be the best but now Qualcomm bought them so who knows what happens now.

Qualcomm are complete scum, they forced Ti and a few others out of the consumer SoC market by doing illegal things, they should be broken up for antitrust.

It does, for various peripherals built into the SoC and various device-specific configuration, otherwise the kernel simply isn't going to be able to run.

By targeting an emerging market that intel and AMD couldn't hope to enter with their x86 based parts.
And then securing deals and contracts with all the major powers in said market to ensure they had widespread use and monumental mind share.

I don't know how realistic their server ventures will be but they BTFO intel enough to make them cover their logo with a curtain at CES to hide their asspain.

They are. Because a server platform needs more than just a processor and an usb port.

To run windows server.

>embarrasing yourself this much

are you mentally retarded?

Windows server is more widespread than you'd think.

I hope x86 can finally fucking die soon.

I'm looking forward to the day where we all depend on "ship and forget" hardware.

that's a huge chip

You sure know what I think, idiot.
You don't even realize what these ARM CPUs are for, and you come here and bitch about your toy os.
Fuck off

Tell me?
What I would expect from an ARM manufacturer would be density and IO and indirectly more overall performance through lower pricing. Not some shitty Xeon competitor from a manufacturer that is known to not disclose their driver source code. Honestly with that attitude they can at best compete in a completely proprietary and closed off environment like windows. I'm sure google can live with using some old shitty linux kernel and backporting only the things they need because when you look at the hardware and electricity costs for the millions of servers hiring a hundred additional software engineers that are getting paid 100k a year base compensation to make their existing software work on some crappy shitty hardware is a drop in the bucket compared to the hardware investments they make every year.

Oh and just for clarification because retards like you don't seem to understand this:
The CPU doesn't matter. They might as well be 10 times faster than x86. They still won't reach wide marketshare. ARM CPUs are always integrated in SoCs. You people complain everytime intel releases a new sockel and chipset. With ARM every SoC is a completely new chipset. The only thing that matters is the stuff around the CPU and this is where ARM and Qualcomm are doing a terrible job. This is the reason why AMD's A1100 was delayed so much and they ended up releasing a pretty good platform except they now focused their attention towards Zen instead of ARM. Meanwhile in the ARM ecosystem you have massive fragmentation and vendor lock in and crappy to nonexistent drivers. On top of all of that you also have the problem that software has to be ported. That may be trivial but you can only start porting when all the libraries you depend on have been ported. As a business you have to consider all of this effort and it's not even guaranteed that it will be cheaper or perform better or in any other form help your business.

UUUU

Yep, I tried to contact them too, I was trying to make a quad core a72 board that i could connect to an outside gpu/display processor thru the IO ports but they keep redirecting me to europe offices who dont have shit.
NXP has a new SoC LS1046A who does 32000 coremarks (i7 680 is 16000 coremarks for reference) though and I'm sure other good vendors will follow suit, fingers crossed!