Wireless for companies?

Hello there,

I work for a mid sized IT company. We set up networking solutions including Intranets for small to mid sized companies.
What's most noticable about our customers is, that around 90% of them don't want any wireless technology at all, mostly
for security reasons. That's fine with us of course but it seriously got me wondering if wireless has a future in a
professional envireonment. Any thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

inhabitat.com/its-official-cell-phones-are-killing-bees/
fortune.com/2016/12/14/donald-trump-musk-kalanick-nooyi/
independent.co.uk/news/people/elon-musk-donald-trump-advisory-council-a7474416.html
inverse.com/article/25199-elon-musk-donald-trump-administration-job
washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/12/14/elon-musk-and-the-ceo-of-uber-are-now-advising-donald-trump/?utm_term=.2a23c8bec3b4
aerohive.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It not only has a future, but will likely over take wired connections at some point. I have worked for large companies with a fairly large network footprint and they lean heavily on wireless connectivity for mobile devices and quick deployment for satellite offices.

It is a lot easier to set a vpn to one wap for a small office using laptops then it is to set up a switch, make sure the wiring in the office still works, and then set up an edge router to act as firewall and vpn access point.

You must have older customers who think wireless = insecure because they don't understand WPA2/ RADIUS authentication. The business world is starting to heavily lean on mobile devices, which I have no problem with since wireless is easier to manage imo.

Either that or muh WeeFee sickness

Actually we're mostly working for recently founded companies and startups.

I think it causes colony collapse in bees or something too.

inhabitat.com/its-official-cell-phones-are-killing-bees/

huh, weird. We offer public wifi at my company but that's pretty much it. Everything business related is ethernet all the way except for the cunt of an HR manager who refuses to use a wired connection for some reason, so we have a RADIUS network setup basically for one person to use.

>Donald Trump selects Elon Musk to serve as strategic advisor
wut.
Not sure how reputable that source is there user.

>refuses to use a wired connection
no shit? afraid of evil cables strangling him or what?

fortune.com/2016/12/14/donald-trump-musk-kalanick-nooyi/

independent.co.uk/news/people/elon-musk-donald-trump-advisory-council-a7474416.html

inverse.com/article/25199-elon-musk-donald-trump-administration-job

washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/12/14/elon-musk-and-the-ceo-of-uber-are-now-advising-donald-trump/?utm_term=.2a23c8bec3b4

They might not want wireless now but they sure will soon afterwards

no it's purely A E S T H E T I C

She claims she doesn't want visible wires in her office for appearances. She also requested meme wireless charging pads, despite the face that they require wires to work.

Also does dumb shit like request a laptop to bring home which is left at the office every night, then asks for a tablet to use since the laptop is often left behind.

>aesthetic
gon buy me some macboog

Jesus Christ. Hit that bitch with the company car.

can't because the company car doesn't have a fuel tank for aesthetic reasons

company car would be a mack truck, so no problem there :^)

If you've got static desktops then wired is still the best overall solution with a wireless router set up for light usage from visitors etc. I don't know why you think it's a big surprise that corporates go for the best method.

>for security reasons
One sign of shitty security is that anyone with access to an ethernet jack can fuck your shit up.

There's really no point. People just sit at their desks on their desktops / laptop docks

More reason to hate this smug prick and his shitty electric cars

You would still require authentication to access anything interesting, provided the IT department was competent.

Yeah. Port security is a thing for a reason.

aerohive.com/
This is professional wireless solution with cloud computing.

>She claims she doesn't want visible wires in her office for appearances.
So is she a bitch?
Or do she want camouflaged cables, and you are the bitch for failing to understand?

If it has a strong encryption and the router can't be hacked easily, I don't see why not.
If their devices are unsecured they're fucked anyway.