Linux From Scratch

> Linux From Scratch
Is it worth it using?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=umQL37AC_YM
linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/fakeroot.txt
linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/package_management_using_trip.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's worth doing if you want to really master the inner workings of Linux and completely understand it. You'll probably want to switch to Gentoo once you've truly mastered it and done a couple LFS builds, though.

So yes, it is worth is IMO.

Also, the supplied online documentation is superb. You won't need a book or any other resources as a noob.

I love it. I use arch for laptop but lfs for desktop. Something just feels nice about having a linux from scratch distro. PLUS, it's system V.

I'm thinking about using it as my daily os, updating only the web browser and security patches. I've built it a couple of times and now I'm really willing to use it.

sounds like a terrible idea dude that would be such a hassle.

>It's worth doing if you want to really master the inner workings of Linux and completely understand it
no, you wont master anything building LFS, a retarded monkey could do it. you'll learn a little bit about gnu/linux distros, how they are built, etc, but nothing more

How do you deal with package management

I've never installed packages. I've always had someone do it for me.

you ... use a package manager ?
there are even guides on how to add some package managers to LFS systems

If you really want to master the inner workings of an OS you get a Tannebaum book about Operating Systems or the Advanced Unix Programming Manual.

LFS will teach you the really hard way to make an 1990s userland

Some packages you can upgrade manually, others you'd better leave as they are. If you really have to update certain core packages you can rebuild the systems core instead.

>get a Tannebaum book about Operating Systems
i don't think anyone here has even read the fucking introduction seeing all those retards repeating the "gnu/linux is the OS, linux is just the kernel" bullshit they read here somewhere

explain?

>repeating the "gnu/linux is the OS, linux is just the kernel" bullshit they read here somewhere

It's called a "meme," user. Richard "Ganoo slash LiNUCKS" Stallman said it, and people think its funny so they repeat it.

youtube.com/watch?v=umQL37AC_YM

sadly not, because most people here seriously believe that bullshit

linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/fakeroot.txt
linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/package_management_using_trip.txt

>[email protected]
>2006
Kek. I did a LFS build and it was just annoying. Cool to see how stuff is built and I guess I know a bit more than I did though so I guess it was worth it.

As a daily driver I would ask why, and suggest you INSTALL GENTOO instead

No. If you REALLY want to learn how things work then should should install Arch.

>Arch.
Kek. I like this meme.