What will Sup Forums's windows 7/8 users do after it stops being supported?

I installed windows 10 and it is painful.

Decided to take a look at linux distros and i am fairly surprised on how well they work.

Already installed Linux on an old lappy loved it.

What about you?

Other urls found in this thread:

tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/usr.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What will Sup Forums's windows 7/8 users do after it stops being supported?

they will switch to windows 10 or what comes after windows 10 you dumbfuck

Install gentoo of course.

There will be no after Windows 10. Switching operating systems is no more unless you leave Windows altogether or upgrade to an older version such as Windows 8 or 7.

> dumbfuck

you know it is surprising how defensive stupid people can get about little things like the OS one is running.

I'll stay on it until a major vulnerability is discovered that makes it unusable.

When that happens, I'll just switch to Win10. If all I did was browse the internet then linux would work, but I need a Windows environment for my work.

And you'll be incapable of setting up a VM even given the years you have to prepare?

>install W10
>install classicshell
>done

>lappy

You deserve to die.

>stops being supported

Literally nothing. I still use Win 98 as my main OS and I see no downsides even with OS lacking any "official support". Just do not fall for corporate meme tellibg you to "update" for ne OS just because they no longer "support" their product.

>Stops being supported
If you want "security updates", please prove that Windows 7 or any other version of Windows ever got security patches? You can't, because it's a proprietary OS. The supposed security updates shouldn't make you switch to the most backdoored OS yet.

really ? what are your specs?

I want native performance.

i'll keep using W7
i couldn't care less if it's supported or not. i'll switch when there will be hardware problems

photoshop or premiere?

I will keep using Windows 7 after it stops being supported.

You can achieve that as long as you've got even remotely modern hardware (given this is like 5 years away I'm assuming you'll be set by then if you somehow aren't already)

if only VGA passthrough was simple

There's still people using XP out there.

fuck off kevin

i'm not a fan of every aspect of the modern internet, but with 98 you can't basically doing anything than email and watching plain websites.

I will keep using Windows 7

If you main Microshaft Wangblows you're nu-Sup Forums.

my work laptop came with Win10, which was painful, so I had to install Linux on it.

current desktop will likely remain a Win7+Fedora combo until I pass it on to my otouto.

when I get my new desktop I will probably buy (or otherwise acquire) a Win10 licence for muh games but carry on using Linux for everything else.

Nothing more satisfying than a clean install of Windows 10 fully updated with no errors.

>buying anything from M$

Is it alright to go from 8.1 to 10 right now ?

7 doesn't have spyware if you bother to manually update periodically. If you want auto updates with no spyware just use Vista for 3 more months lol.

I haven't updated my Windows 8.1 installation since October 2015 anyways, so... business as usual I guess.
I won't be switching to Linux on my gaymen rig, but I'm already using Debian on my Laptop.

Actually were not getting defensive. Were getting angry because people dont know what we already know so it angers us that ppl would even have an opinion on something thats clearly wrong especially on our super secret website.

My plan is to move to Linux, and have a windows guest that I'll pass my videocard to and will just be for gaming and shit, otherwise all other operation will be in Linux

I'm going to keep using Windows 7 until Windows 10 gets its shit together.

I will stay on W7.

Xubuntu

Luddites like them will still use outdated software.

7 got the very same telemetry shit as does Vista (that's where it started)
The telemetry update actually gives you more control about it, it doesn't ADD it.

Glad that I jumped ship to Linux land, I've gotten so much better with it as well.

If it runs Office under WINE and Kdevelop, I'm set for life

>If it runs Office under WINE
It does? Only the 2003-07 shit or newer versions too?

/thread

I just checked a laptop with Win10 Pro and the default settings of Administrator account blocks you out from using retarded built-in apps like Edge, Groove Music and Win10 Photo viewer.

Into the trash.jpg

>Windows 10
>No errors
Does not exist

I will force myself to gpu passthrough. Easy.

I'd love to install Linux on my desktop as well, but I only use it for games and games run pretty shit on Linux

Literally using Windows 10 right now

I tried to use even Windows 7 for personal non-work use and I could not bear more than 2 hours. I'm sure the people who already actively use winblows have built a tolerance for it that will carry on into 10.

>side taskbar
my nigga

I've got another three years to figure that out or for Microsoft to come to their senses. I'm not betting on the latter.

qemu gives you native performance

>2017
>Using Windows

The only thing I keep Windows (7) around for is muh vidya gaymen. I actually disabled updates a while back when they started issuing those "rollup" updates, I presume to stop people from opting out of the telemetry ones.

I'll keep it around for a while while Linux game compatibility improves some more. When all it has to do is run Steam I don't really give a shit about security updates.

Effectively relegate my windows system to the status of a video game console and not use it for anything else.

Wine is the best way to wean yourself off of Windows. It will keep improving.

2010 works fine

anything newer than 2010 is complete garbage with awful fonts anyway

I'm gonna keep using it. Why should I care if M$ no longer releases updates? I've had the update service disabled since day one.

I've been a Windows user since like 1999 and I'm not smart enough to use linux. I've only successfully installed linux maybe 3 times out of a dozen or more attempts. Every time I install it, I never have a clue what I'm doing, and I wonder why everything has to be long-winded and make people feel like they are some uber hacker autist who types things in to the terminal. I even wonder why someone had the thought to compile the build of slackware I was using to NOT start the graphical interface after successfully installing. I had to google what to do, after slackware was installed. "OK what now?" "startx". Great.

Why do you want to make things difficult on yourself? I got told once 'just type app install ' or whatever it was, and he didn't bother to explain how one would tell if the program they wanted is listed in the software library or not, and what to do if it wasn't. Also graphics drivers.

I'd honestly love to switch to a more aesthetic OS and have a lightweight install with a handful of partitions and run a really smooth system. But it's just so inaccessible and even if I managed to get something good installed, I literally have no idea about computer security and how to protect my files, since according to google search results linux systems don't need anti-virus or firewalls. Even though I tried pidgin once and was spammed with junk messages and viruses through it.

And on top of that, no one is going to release the video games I play on linux. If 2017 was the year of the linux desktop, I'd gladly switch and put myself through the required amount of grief of learning to do the simplest of things. Linux is made for servers, not normal home users.

I feel those feels, user. Give it time. I started by trying out 'Live" CD distributions, first on CDs, then I learned to install them to USB. Many Windows utilities to help. Youtube and the web in general have been invaluable to to me.

Also, some distributions have a native Steam client. I've successfully played my Steam games in Manjaro, and have even noticed improvements on my aging 10 year old hardware.

just keep in mind, windows is made for others to use, linux distros are made for linux users to use (generally, there are exceptions, slackware is not one of them)

If I could get Slackware to play Steam PC games with no issue, I'd switch. I also need it to play Star Citizen, but I don't think the support is anywhere close yet.

Yeah I want a user OS not something bloated that lets other people see what I'm doing or log in to my system.

But like I said I don't have the faintest idea about security on linux, I'd have to install truecrypt but there's nothing stopping a hacker using a keylogger on me to get my passcode anyway.

keep using it of course :^)

1999 born faggot here. I remember installing ubuntu 10.10 as my first linux os, which means i was 11 years old. so, if a retarded 11 year old kid can do why can't you? Ubuntu installer is easy to follow, and there's lots distros that are based on ubuntu but looks good. I'm pretty sure you'll like zorin, deepin (it has retarded software center), ubuntu mate

Yeah I know what you're saying but I don't like Ubuntu. I did enjoy xubuntu for a short while until it broke and I gave up.

What do you do about security? Do you have any firewall or AV installed?

compromised

You'd think so but it's not the case. 7 is shit but 10 is ten times worse.

>security
I don't, I stopped using AV on windows a long time ago and i found out there's no point using it on linux either. You can install comodo's antivirus btw.
I didn't like ubuntu/unity either, that's why i go with ubuntu mate. Also, you might want to use LTS versions since they're more stable than normal releases (some people use it for servers) if you don't want it to crash again.

>slackware
I don't know what you expected. The point of slackware is that it's meant to be reminiscent of Unix and BSD rather than being a flashy Windows-migrant OS.

>Also graphics drivers.
Have been provided by the manufacturers since something like 2010.

>its another lincuck autist pretending to be a win use who JUST switched to lincuck from win 10

2% heh

>lincuck
but user, he isn't sharing his computer with microsoft, i don't think you know what cuck means.
also, attacking to free software won't award you anything

>Do you have any firewall or AV installed?
i haven't used a software firewall since i moved away from dialup, any modern router has a firewall, and an AV isn't needed if you don't run dodgy software (which is easier to do in linux)

there are some AVs for linux if you have the need for it, they're mostly only used on servers, so they can filter content going from/to windows machines

Is that vanilla Deepin or Manjaro's Community Deepin?

Fuck. Never Mind. I'm tired as shit. Slow realization. Lol!

>meme.jpg
Start using Arch.

Thanks for the good answers.

I'm planning my next linux install in notepad right now and will ask for advice on partitions sometime. I need to research how to install LILO, linux and slackware, with correct partition sizes and learn what to backup, and how to update the build without wiping my personal data.

i grabbed it from distrowatch, but it looks pretty much same, i used deepin myself, it has also windows kind of look, a retarded software center that doesn't allow "sort by popularity" and some preinstalled apps like deepin music and deepin videos

maybe you'll like zorin, i actually don't remember any issues (based on ubuntu lts)

7 still has a lot of people using it and its marketshare has remained fairly stable. I wonder if Microsoft will push more malware updates to force these people to "upgrade"

this plus dual booting Debian

I know what I WON'T be doing.

Installing Windows 10.

I seriously hope something kills this company.

I don't like nor want Zorin, I know what is which is a pretty much a gimped Windows skin clone.

Hm.. God Damn.. Last I remember and looked at Zorin it looked like shit. But it's nicely skinned/themed now. Looks okay.

Still not a fan of ooboongoo though, especially apt-get, nothing wrong with apt-get but I've liked and preferred Pacman since I tried it.

>LILO
didn't think anyone used that anymore, why that over grub2/syslinux?
i first tried linux in 2004, and even then LILO had already fallen out of popular use
>correct partition sizes
partitions aren't done much differently to how you would with windows, personally i do something along these lines;
>small hdd (such as a laptop or usb hdd)
small partition at the start for root
rest for home
optional swap partition if low ram or for hibernation
>large hdd (such as a raid volume)
same as above but perhaps limiting the size of home and making the largest partition for mass storage
>ssd
single partition, perhaps separate root and home if you're sharing home with another linux installation

hdd's are faster nearer the start, so things you access more often are best to put at the start, doesn't apply to ssd's

>how to update the build without wiping my personal data.
just updating won't affect personal data, if installing another distro, just don't delete home and backup any other stuff you want to keep (eg. configs in /etc)

I'll tell you this.

I've just gotten started in the world of Linux. I have messed with it in the past and pretty much given up because it was not worth my time to figure out.

With Windows 10 creeping in with some weird shit, I'm going to start using Linux quite a bit more heavily for my day-to-day web browsing. Maybe. We'll see how it goes.

The thing that's holding me up is that I do play games. That's the only thing that's truly keeping me tied to Windows. If there was widespread game support and driver support on Linux, you bet I'd have it installed as my main OS real quick.

Right now, I'm typing this post on a Pentium 4 powered HP DC7600 compact with Lubuntu installed, and it's just as good of an experience as my full blown gaming PC.

Only problem is my only video output is a VGA out, but meh. This guy only has a 200W PSU in it and it seems to be just fine for basic stuff.

This has been quite a good experience so far. I had some I/O errors earlier but I think it was CPU related as I believe I may have bent some pads on the socket when messing with it, so I replaced board and CPU from another spare I had lying around and it has been super smooth since then. Only thing that really clues me off as being on an old as shit PC is the slight lag when opening a new tab for the first time and the fact that every time I do something on the HDD it makes an audible clicking sound.

Then the fact that I'm sure Microsoft is in bed with major PC manufacturers to the point that we'll never see Linux on prebuilt machines that normies use. And that's the crux of the issue. Even if a given Linux distro is plenty fast and stable and supports all the apps a typical user does 99% of the time, we'll still have blockers from partnerships. For instance, trying to update the BIOS on this old guy is not advertised as being able to be done with the old USB stick method on the support website. They want you to download an EXE and run it from Windows.

Why do you need it to be supported and updated?

I've yet to see any exploit or hack carried out without the user allowing them to happen.

I got a 256GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD for steam games and other games, and another 1TB HDD for media (music, pics, etc).

LILO
- Slackware
* /swap
* /
* /home
* /usr
- Windows

This is what I've got so far, as well as some commands I need to run while installing, and guidelines about what to install first. But I've seen other stuff too, about a /var partition, but also others saying that it grows because of log files and how 20GB might not be enough for it. And a few minutes ago I read a post pic related, and I don't fully understand it or know what I'm going to do.

Basically what I want to do is have like 10GB free space for personal files like a desktop space to put things on until I file them away, and keep the rest in ideal sized partitions where I don't have to worry about them. And I want to be able to just update the build as easily as possible without worrying about my files getting overwritten.

I only needed windows for muh games, Linux for everything else.

So what will the defacto method be for someone who plays games (lol i no) while still being concerned about security and not falling for Windows 10 bullshit (like if they go to a subscription/yearly fee usage in the future, I will be DONE). I could just stick with 7, and I'm running Common Sense enough to know not to click taylor_swift_new_song.mp3.exe or something like that, but if it's 2025 and I get a pop up or random website ad that will give me ransomware bullshit, well... I don't want to have to live in fear of that shit happening.

So what will be the best method come 2020?

I don't want to have to simply dual boot, because I don't want to have to close all my tabs and shit in Linux to do some obscure random bullshit that I need to do in Windows or vice versa.

WINE would be an option, but isn't it not 100% yet for running various programs and Photoshop and stuff (again, random things I like to do)

GPU pass-through; don't know enough about this option. I know you need specific CPU and motherboard (like an i7-6700k or whatever) and two GPUs (one for the "main" Linux environment and one for the "Windows experience" to actually run video games. So is this just like a super-charged WINE / VM???

I know this is /sqg/-tier bullshit, but I don't know where to begin and I'd like to jump off the Windows sinking ship before it's too late.

I have a pre-activated W7 copy, but if Windows updates aren't available, you'll be able to find a torrent somewhere with all the service packs included, so you can burn those on a disk.

As far as compatibility of games in the future, I recommend just running W10 on a partition only for games and then reboot to use another OS. That's my plan. I didn't want Windows 10 but they might bring Halo games out on it, so there's that.

well if it was me;
ssd: single partition, btrfs with two subvolumes for root and home
hdds: consider a btrfs or mdadm mirror (raid1), otherwise just single partitions on each, put swap on one of those if you want one

if you're not sure what subvolumes are, they work kind of like partitions, in that they can be mounted in different places, but they only use the space of what is placed on them, like folders, so you don't need to worry if they're "big enough"

-- oh, and what i do about large content is that i put them outside of my home volume, but mount them under my home folder

for example, "~/Videos" isn't actually on my home volume, but rather a subvolume on another disk (a raid) mounted onto it

i like the /appearance/ of everything being in my home folder

Can you help me understand? I changed LILO to Grub and decided on some partition sizes, 10gb for root since it will only get used by 8gb or so, leaving a bit to spare. 20gb is enough for desktop space on /home, and I was going to give /usr 10gb too but I just read this tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/usr.html and it's implying that this should be by far the biggest partition since so much gets stored here, including software.

SSD:
GRUB
- Slackware
* / [10gb]
* /home [20gb] (Personal files) (Do not need to back up during upgrading distro)
* /usr [10gb] (Software) (Do not need to back up during upgrading distro)
- Windows

As for my HDDs, no I'm keeping them as they are, 1 single volume/partition on each. Steam games & Star Citizen on E: and music/pictures/torrents on D:

This sounds good, I could mount my D: media and E: games in /home on my desktop. Good advice, thanks. But I just need to understand; should I have a /usr folder or not, and if so, should it be big? I want a 30/70 split between linux and windows SSD space if possible.

If you have several volumes on the same partition, how will they not get overwritten? I don't get it.

/usr will probably be your biggest non-home folder, though from what i've read, separating it is a rather historical thing to do
using partitions in general is for these reasons;
- overcoming filesystem volume size limitations (not an issue nowadays, modern filesystems can go way beyond the size of any disk or raid you can create)
- putting often-accessed data near the beginning of a hdd where they're fastest (not applicable to ssd's at all)
- various conveniences such as dual boots with a shared /home, switching filesystem for one set of data without having to backup everything else, etc

my own main computers' root is 19.5G, 12G is /usr
you won't need to decide how much to allocate to root and home if you use subvolumes (you can also put /usr in a subvolume if you feel you need to separate it)

subvolumes are a feature of a few filesystems, such as btrfs
they're managed by the filesystem driver, just as files and other things are

you could also say "how can you have multiple folders on a single partition?" (really early filesystems didn't support folders, actually)

with btrfs, you specify which subvolume to mount with the option "subvol="

the way btrfs works is that it allocates 1G chunks dynamically in the background, and they can be taken by any subvolume as required, it's not something you need to manage manually, like partitions are

Cool, good answers, thanks.

well this is the -- wait this isn't fglt

I don't install updates issued by MS. Does support mean anything else?

I've already switched from Windows 8.1 to Linux + a Windows 7 VM for business apps I need for my job. It was an easy transition since I don't play games and don't need high performance in the VM.

I've been watching 10's development closely and don't like anything about it or see any evidence that it's improving at all. It's a mess.

Does this work with SLI or is there some special shit about it that makes it impossible/impractical?

Know that feel but instead with my favorite Linux distro which takes 20 minutes to install and update and not 3 hours.

If you're willing to fork over some dosh, there's crossover. Wine is written "clean room", while Crossover is closed source and they talk with companies to help them get things working. CO is also built over wine.
For GPU passthrough, yes, its a VM, but instead of creating a software renderer to run on your GPU, it simply passes communication through. your only real losses in performance are potential fragmentation of data due to the virtual harddisk file, and the fact that it's sharing CPU cycles with the host OS. You need an Intel chip that supports VT-d, or an AMD chip that supports IOV.
For rendering your linux desktop the integrated GPU should suffice (if you went for a xeon or something like that, then you need to get a cheapy GPU)