/sqt/ Stupid Question Thread

Previous Can I change the Freesync range over HDMI?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles
github.com/openpreserve/matchbox
traynier.com/software/steammover
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
deb.torproject.org
download.opensuse.org
discordapp.com/download
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD1P56598
ebay.de/itm/Intenso-SSD-SATA-III-HIGH-120-GB-SSD-2-5-Zoll-500-MB-s-520-MB-s-120-GB-/132060191829?hash=item1ebf669c55:g:1REAAOSwmLlX~dkV
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My firefox keeps resetting after every PC bootup. I changes everything back to the default theme and all addons strewn all over the bar at the top, and the browser loads up multiple tabs of addons that you get when you first install them as if I had just installed the fucking things.

This keeps happening and it's pissing me off.

Sounds like your profile is messed up. Here: support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

What I mean by is that you need to create a new profile and install your add-ons again - so write them down before you create the new profile.

Profile corruption happens most often because Firefox was interrupted in writing the profile file on exist at some point (either by system shutdown, killing the process or because it crashed while writing).

how do i remove similar photos from my pc? (linux)
rdupes wont works cause the images are not the same file but rather the same image with slightly different md5sums (due to resolution differences or file type or buttfuck other shit

I believe it can be done with SSIM: github.com/openpreserve/matchbox

I tried deleting all profiles, making a new one, then copying my old profile (that I had saved before this problem started) and replaced the original right away. It worked only once, though, and it keeps happening regardless of what I do now.

I shutdown right away after closing firefox. Maybe I need to give it a little while to save properly before shutting it down then?

Thanks for the help

You can monitor the firefox process in your task manager, once it quits it should be safe to shut down your computer (but realistically your computer shouldn't kill processes, but wait for them to quit with a proper signal code) - so there may be something else wrong with your OS installation.

I am trying to make a bootable usb drive with dban on it so I can wipe and return a laptop but the usb drive doesn't seem to boot. It's recognized in bios and windows. I used rufus to make it bootable using the .iso from the dban website. I made sure the usb drive was selected as first boot priority in the bios but it still just boots to windows. I tried this on the laptop and after several attempts (double checking I did everything properly as well as I know how) I tried it on my desktop.
It just did the same thing and booted to windows.

What am I doing wrong here? Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. The laptop does not have a optical drive nor do I have an external optical drive.

I've noticed that Firefox takes a bit longer to turn off completely (youtube video audio keeps playing, process stays active, etc), but I always thought it would do its stuff faster than my PC would shut down. That might be the problem I guess.

>Gigabyte Motherboard stuck in a boot loop
>it's out of warranty
>Can't buy a new one, there's only one else on the second hand market and it's overpriced
REEEEEE

You say it's recognized in the BIOS, but can you not force your BIOS to boot to the USB disc - either in the BIOS itself or through a Boot Menu?

Does it POST? Gonna need a bit more information than 'stuck in a boot loop' because what's wrong depends on where it's looping.

Oh, forgot to mention this in , but your BIOS or DBAN might not support USB3 booting - but this only applies if you're using an USB3 port and not a USB2 port.

Nope, it doesn't POST.
It either gets stuck on the initial splash screen that hides the POST information, or another screen which is used when there's some sort of message the mobo wants to display.
It's a relatively common problem apparently. For some people it was a bent pin on the LGA socket, and I thought that could be the cause, but the pins look fine.
Who the fuck knows any more, I've already wasted hours on it trying everything I could think of. I'll have to find another H77/Z77 motherboard, but most people sell them in pairs with CPUs, or they sell entire PCs.

Not sure if this answers your question but I originally set the USB to be the first option in the boot order (it ended up booting to windows).

After making sure I didnt forget to save or anything and checking a few other things I went and disabled the windows option in the BIOS boot order, this caused it to boot directly to the BIOS.

I believe the USB port was USB3, I think that is all the laptop has. I suppose I could check if my desktop has a USB2 port and try that.

What are these Service Host shit on my task manager, and why does it eats 50% of my processor and lagging my stuff all the time. And have 10 or multiple shit running. Cant I just disable them?

All the stuff I googled are microsoft designated worker answers that smells like bullshit.

What is the best e-reader

Yeah just double checked, the laptop only has USB3 and type-c so I'm fucked either way.

I'm going to try using unetbootin to create the bootable usb since an someone on /wsr/ suggested that.

You might have updates pending/installing
go install win10 first of all

Sorry about your loss, mate. It's dead.

Service Host is part of svchost on Windows which is completely binary and inpenetrable to anyone - much like what systemd is becoming on Linux. Any issue you have with it usually means reinstalling Windows is simpler than debugging it.

Kindle Paperwhite or the Kobo version with similar backlit display.

Yeah, that's what I was going to suggest too - that, or UBCD.

How do i stream from my pc to my smart tv and is this even a good idea?
They are too far apart to connect them with hdmi.

If your TV supports it, there's an option in Windows called Cast To which uses DLNA - but it's not always simple to setup on every TV, even if it's supported - and it pretty much requires a wired network connection between both devices through a switch because it's traffic-intensive and wifi is usually congested.

Are there any terminal emulators that handle proportional fonts well?

I know emacs does, and I can launch a terminal buffer, but I'd also like to have a standard terminal

By proportional do you mean monospaced? I use alacritty and dejavu sans mono, it's a new and very fast terminal with a monospaced sans serif font.

No by proportional I mean the opposite of monospace, like a normal font

So far as I can see, I'm the only one responding to questions in this thread. :C

Why would you use a non-monospaced font for a terminal?

Does it matter which order I install my games on my hard drive?
As in, do I want to do my favourite games first so that they are closer to the centre and load faster or is that a myth?

What are the benefits (if any) of using linux as my main OS? I've always used Windows and don't want to come off as an aspie to anyone who visits and sees my computer. Also I like gaymen cuz I'm a normie.

From a readability perspective there are different tradeoffs with each. There are some advantages to going monospace (code alignment in particular), but they're a holdover from the past and in a number of domains the readability advantage of a nice proportional font should outweigh the advantage of easy code alignment (and if you use elastic tabstops even that is fine with a proportional font).

Really, I'd just like to give it a try and see how it goes. Any curses programs probably won't behave well, so it probably won't be my only terminal, but I could get a good deal done with it.

Bonus reason: Plan 9 used proportional fonts, and this way I'd get to feel like I'm in Rob Pike-kun's secret club

Drive will be written sequentially when you're installing something, and Windows will defrag to keep system files on the fastest part of the platter - but access time is by far the biggest slow-down for spinning rust. In sort: Let defragmentation service in Windows take care of it, and don't worry.

If you want to game, you can't get away from Windows unless you also severely like limiting yourself to mostly unoptimized games. Dualbooting can be nice, but unless you burn to have a free and open OS, it's basically pointless
(I say this having run FreeBSD, a UNIX-derivative, as my primary OS - only dualbooting to Windows for gaming - for over 15 years).

The Plan 9 argument is what makes most sense to me, but even then I still can't not have a monospaced font in my terminal, and dejavu has a wide unicode coverage.

Tried using unetbootin, same issue as far as I can tell

Does the machine not have a boot menu option? Usually F8, F10, F11 or F12 when you're on the BIOS spash or POST screen.

> Does it matter which order I install my games on my hard drive?

No. Also get a solid state drive, then everything will load faster.

How do you feel about the Free Software movement? If you find their arguments compelling, then that's reason enough. If not, then there may be other reasons.

- Good package management (this is a huge pain on Windows, and quite pleasant on most Linux distros)
- Can avoid telemetry
- Better programming environment (this is subjective, I have to use Windows at work and I'm far less productive than I could be)
- Extensively customizable, build the environment that makes sense for you, rather than being forced into a one-size-fits-all default.

it runs better. the package system is really nice as well because it just works (tm) but if you do heavy image work and know the adobe tools, or are a gaymur or love ads then windows is honestly your best bet. also free as in freedom but that doesnt seem like your concern.

>closer to the centre
that would make them load slower.
if you really want to boost load times on certain games you play all the time install them on a partition on a SSD ad put the rest on your HDD cause that is really the only big difference. but otherwise dont really worry about install order.

I also opened that and clicked the usb drive which instantly closed the BIOS and seemed like it was trying to boot.

Ended with windows. There were actually two options for the USB drive though, one prefaced by UEFI and one without it. The USB option in the boot order also has a UEFI tag on it if thats relevant.

Thanks for the replies.
I have my OS on the SSD, but my steam library is over a terabyte so I have to put it on a spinning disk. I have WoW on the SSD.
Hopefully in a few years I will be able to afford pure SSD storage.

Good to see other anons replying with help, so it's not just me.

I'm , but I just want to echo what others said: Get an SSD. The access time and increased bandwidth available make ALL the difference that spinning rust cannot get around, no matter what you do to them.

That means that it's not reading the boot files it's looking for - try making a freedos d isk with sdelete from sysinternals, that can accomplish the same job.

Only machine in my entire house to still have spinning rust is my server, every other machine is using an SSD. Never Not SSD.

All that having been said, you might be able to make use of traynier.com/software/steammover

>try making a freedos d isk with sdelete from sysinternals, that can accomplish the same job.
wat

I'm using Windows btw.

How do I trace someone with a MAC Adress??

How can i create a youtube account without a phone number?

If that's not possible, is there an easy way to emulate the subscription youtube page? I don't want to be notified when a new video from one of my subscription comes out, i just wanna have a browser page that let me see all the recent uploads.

You can't.

Pretty sure you're required to have a phone number to have a Google account, which is what you need to have access to youtubes personalization features.

If you can get RSS feeds for the youtube channels you want content from, that's one option - but I believe those are personalized too.

Google wants to know everything about you and you can't do anything except don't use any of their services, or use all of their services and drink the koolaid.

Try another version of dban, or give up and find another solution - if you're not willing to search for things you don't know about and just want a full guide, you're on your own.

Then what can I do knowing someone MAC Adress? Also if that "probe" is connected to my wifi?

You can't do shit, mac addresses are functionally useless, can be easily spoofed and only exist to tell devices apart on a LAN without IP traffic.

Ok... uhm.
How do I trace someone?

As an addendum to : If, and this is a big if, you're on the same LAN segment as them, you can do an arp request and get their IP - but since that requires you to be on the same LAN segment as them, you could do much worse in person.

You can't. That's not how things are done nowadays - social engineering is where it's at, such as sending them an email from a system you can't be linked to, which they open on a device that has location data and you then hopefully access that location data.

Short of an NSA budget, you can't do what NSA does.

yesterday while stoned i recorded myself with amd's relive,while talking with a friend.
Since my memory of then is foggy in my mind,i wanted to rewatch the videos.

but the 2 biggest files (3.99gb each)
are not playable. (in bs player,vlc,even foobar)

Are they somehow corrupted?
what can i do to watch them?

im very frustrated about the situation,i feel i was more in touch with myself when stoned,and could express some ideas better,and could take a look at myself more objectively. But i can hardly remember most of what we talked about,so i would appreciate it a shit ton if someone helped

Knowing plenty of stoners, I can tell you that you weren't.
If it doesn't play in those players, it's corrupt.

so what do?
so i can watch the videos?
even if i am pseudo-intellectual,or feel very profound about some obvious thing,im really curious

No, you can't.

>Google wants to know everything about you and you can't do anything except don't use any of their services, or use all of their services and drink the koolaid.
This fucking sucks
I just want to watch videos
Fucking google

Now you're starting to learn why some people really fucking dislike Google.

okay,now im curious about why i can't.
what happens when a file is corrupted that makes it un-readable?

Video (with or without audio - regardless of whether they're in containers like mp4 or mkv, or whether they're just video like mp2 or mov) are very simple binary data streams - they can either play or they can't.

Out of curiocity, what file type is it?

mp4

Welp, mp4 is just a container, so the video is probably h264 and audio is either mp3 or aac. Didn't mean to get your hopes up, but there's nothing that can be done.

post ffmpeg output.
ffmpeg -i yourfile.mp4

okay user,thanks anyways.

Apache or nginx?

nginx

The amount of people that hate systemd seems rather high, why is that?

Just opened my cock.li mailbox and it said something about a false certificate all of a sudden. Anyone else get that?

What's the best VPN service? Especially for torrenting pls.

nginx, apache is a bloated piece of shit.

Because it's a bad software suite that was initially supposed to be an init system to replace sysvinit and has now become a bloated piece of shit with httpd, binary logging format, breaks with unix philosophy (do one thing and do it well, as well as running as pid 1), and there currently seems nothing that Lennart Poettering won't integrate into it if it pleases him. Also, it's primarily designed to work on Lennart Poetterings laptop, and nowhere else.

In fact, there's a whole wiki on it: without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Gonna need a proper error message.

They're all shit, as are all seedbox providers.

I want to remove my swap partition and make that space available as RAM. Do I just remove the swap space? I don't see any RAM partition in cfdisk, just /dev/sda2 which is my swap.

my 560 ti just died, what do I get for equivalent or better performance as cheaply as possible

As a programmer, what should I get into if I want to make multiplayer modifications for games?

if you want to remove your swap partition, you need to be aware that it means you won't have any way of doing kernel dumps so if your system crashes you can't figure out why. also, swap is on disk, not in ram, so it won't speed your system up.

1050Ti

Depends on the game. C, C++ and LUA for a start. That should keep you occupied for the next few years.

I know C++ but is there some sort of subject that is most helpful like reverse engineering for example?

I installed Ubuntu and want to use these sweet reaction images but the firefox upload just gives me a shitty filename list with thumbnail previews instead of the more ideal gallery of thumbnails. How do I change this shit?

You can't.

What specific updates do I need to disable to avoid the telemetry updates on Windows 7?

What the fuck, that seems like such a basic feature to have.

Welp, I thought I had 4gb ram total of which 2gb swap. But as you say it's on disk. Thanks for your help. Also, in htop I never see any swap being used, even though I have it turned on, any reason why?

meant for

What's the best book/tutorial for learning Python3?

Trying to wipe a drive in such a way that the average loser trying to recover data won't be able to retrieve pictures. I'm selling this hard drive with a computer and I don't want the new owner suddenly calling some random dude with photorec and that kid having random personal pictures to fap to.

Which DBAN method would be best for this purpose?

Single pass of anything random is fine.

You can, but it will be as involved as the process of trying to change the same situation on Windows.

You can either change your desktop environment to KDE or you can learn to compile from source Firefox and use a patch provided by someone more knowledgeable that decided to share their solution to your similar issue.

``You can't'' just toggle a checkbox.

Gutmann Method is your best bet.

>You can, but it will be as involved as the process of trying to change the same situation on Windows.
You mean more involved? Windows is a right click

trying to install discord linux but this piece of shit is getting in the way of my updates

~ $ sudo apt-get update
53% [13 InRelease gpgv 81.9 kB] [Connecting to screenshots.getdeb.net] [WaitingSplitting up /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/deb.torproject.org_torproject.org_dists_trusty_InIgn deb.torproject.org trusty InRelease
W: GPG error: download.opensuse.org Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1478959636
E: GPG error: deb.torproject.org trusty InRelease: Clearsigned file isn't valid, got 'NODATA' (does the network require authentication?

any help?

Single pass with any overwriting program is fine. Get one that boots from disk or USB or otherwise it can't overwrite files used by OS.

Personally I prefer the sledgehammer method, but that's just cause I throw away used hard drives. You could do the same and tell the guy buying it to just get a new one.

just get the .deb file from discordapp.com/download

Could I get some hints on this? I don't want the full solution, just a little guidance for a newfag

for i in string
if (i, i+1, i+2) = (b, o, b) then count +1 else null
i++

int numberOfOccurances = 0;
for (each letter in string) {
//Note: Make sure you're not going past the string length
if (letter is b) {
//this could be "bob"
//check if the following letters are 'o' and 'b'
//if yes, bob has occured once
}
//continue to the next letter
}
//print result

wew no way dude imagine if you had a trillion letters to cycle through, you'd be doing 3 letter checks pointlessly

Why the fuck can't cmake find GLM on 64-bit linux??

cmake CMakeLists.txt
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 6.3.1
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Performing Test HAVE_fdiagnostics-color=always_FLAG
-- Performing Test HAVE_fdiagnostics-color=always_FLAG - Success
-- Forcing colored compiler output
-- Disabling -Wignored-qualifiers
-- Disabling -Wpadded
CMake Error at source/CMakeLists.txt:4 (find_package):
Could not find a configuration file for package "glm" that is compatible
with requested version "".

The following configuration files were considered but not accepted:

/usr/lib64/cmake/glm/glmConfig.cmake, version: 0.9.8 (32bit)
/usr/lib/cmake/glm/glmConfig.cmake, version: 0.9.8 (32bit)
/lib64/cmake/glm/glmConfig.cmake, version: 0.9.8 (32bit)
/lib/cmake/glm/glmConfig.cmake, version: 0.9.8 (32bit)

Does anyone have a workaround for this bullshit? Can confirm this doesn't fuck up on an i686 version of arch.

I can't connect to rarbg when I'm on vpn
what gives? torrenting from rarbg is the reason i have it

It doesn't let me add string (i) with numbers though, and when I try [i] + 2 so it sums the index it still doesn't work

Okay, I'm gonna crack my head around this for a bit, thank you

Since Microsoft decided to create a proprietary botnet of an operating system in Windows 10 that doesn't respect my freedom, I decided I should help myself to it, as in free as in free beer. So brothers, where would I be able to get a free as in free beer copy of Windows 10? Any other programs I need to run to get the full free experience, like DAZLoader for 7 or OpenKMS for 8/8.1?

Should I be concerned that my battery looks like this?

What is that white stuff?

Should I tell her dad what she did in the parking lot?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD1P56598

This drive died in my brothers Dell laptop will this SSD fit to replace it? The dimensions are the same and SATA 3 is backwards compatible with SATA 1 as far as i know.

Just want to make sure so i dont make him buy something that wont fit

ebay.de/itm/Intenso-SSD-SATA-III-HIGH-120-GB-SSD-2-5-Zoll-500-MB-s-520-MB-s-120-GB-/132060191829?hash=item1ebf669c55:g:1REAAOSwmLlX~dkV

If someone could answer please and thank you in advance.

Check the battery fluid levels.

How do i do that?

google it. literally googling "white powder on car battery" wouldve given you answers in the first place