How did you first get into programming? What started it all? Tell us your story

How did you first get into programming? What started it all? Tell us your story

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FrEdbKwivCI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i didint know what i wanted to do when i got out of highschool. so my mom thought webdev would be fun. got into it, found out i was good at backend, moved to SE. and mow in embedded systems. p comfy m8

>There is a problem I want to solve
>Said problem can be solved by programming
>???
>profit!

Algebra class in high school let us use TI-83+
Aunt was a math teacher, gave me one
Class taught us very basic programming features, we all learned how to program a quadratic formula program in TI-BASIC
Seemed cool, wanted to add features to the program. Eventually had it show all the work, let you solve for a b or c or whatever, and moved the drawing from the regular home screen to the graph screen because it could make smaller letters
Basically through the entirety of high school I would be programming on my TI-83+ after that in all my classes

Wanted to make vidya

I'm a scientist. Programming is important for my research

I wanted to make games and websites, started coding very early at around 8 years old

i declared my major as comp sci when i was entering college

Heard about it from classmates back in 1999.
Wanted to make games in 2002, tried learning C++.
Went to a physics reserch institute as intern in 2003, supervisor was a girl who programmed C like crazy. Got really, really interested to finally learn in properly.
I was 17 back then, never regretted it. Now I program in approx. 10 languages.

I'm making a Flash game for class

In middle school I was tired of not knowing how our computer worked; so I quit being a lazy piece of shit and started reading books.

one time, at home, i got this feel
the feel was
>that feel when you will never be awake at 2:30 AM trying to find out why your code wont compile as Home Movies and other Adult Swim shows play in the background
and that did it for me, I had to make that feel happen

My grandfather was a programmer at NASA and gave me some of his old books when I was 12. Started learning from a 70's textbook on BASIC and some other ones on LISP and C.

I read bash.org and they kept talking about "kernel" things so I googled it and got into linux, which kind of teaches you basics. You have to REALLY not get pissed off when something doesn't work. That attitude of "I can't rest until it's fixed" is all technology is

I was like 10 and liked computers and video games so i wanted to make games.

Got first programming book when i was 13ish. It was meant for people moving to c++ and didnt teach any programming outside of syntax. Got frustrated and gave up for 15 years.

Took it up again about 10ish years ago and wrote a few things to fill niche needs i had. Never released anything though.

haha, good ol' bash.org.
They are still not done unlocking the quotes from 2007, lazy bums.

Messed around with BASIC on my dad's old work computer in the early 90s.
Tried to figure out C for a while, was a bit hard with no web, shitty old compilers / IDEs and a badly translated book or two. I think I made some sort of shooter with 90% of code inside the main loop before getting bored.
School was worse than useless for learning anything; other classes didn't teach the right kind of thinking and the actual computer classes barely got past turning the machine on and starting a program. Didn't code much during this time, just wasted time playing games.
Eventually got back to programming by modding Quake, then Unreal Tournament and then got breddy gud at C++ during undergraduate CS studies.

my autistic dad taught me some pascal (in 1999) because i asked how the computer could fit a paper (e-mail) in the little wire (telephone coord)

>even autists reproduce and I don't even have a single friend while not even being autistic

>11 or 12 years old
>wanted to make my own games
>made shitty interactive stories with powerpoint on a Windows 98
>fast forward
>15 years old
>friend shows me Game Maker
>Spend class hours at the school library playing with it
>realize that it can all be done with written code rather than the shitty Drag&Drop interface
>learn a lot of stuff

I was 13 years old, it was windows xp era.
wanted to make viruses, but not for stealing data, just wanted to destroy victims system. I remember, googled for virus code, some random site showed up with VB code. never heard anything about vb. then googled for vb tutorials and started learning it. I was so proud when antivirus detected my compiled exe file as a virus.

>I was so proud when antivirus detected my compiled exe file as a virus.
heh

This.
Started fucking with my TI-83+, wanted to automate formulas and whatnot, not because I couldn't do them by hand, but to save time.
Ended up making programs for every little thing and selling them to other kids who'd cheat on tests.

Stopped using the calculator after high school, forgot about programing for a while, recently getting the itch back after installing Linux and playing with conf files.

>11 years old
>Wants to make websites
>Dad brought me old 400 pages book about HTML written in '98
>I read it multiple times, made my own shitty website (flashing text, copy-pasting the Menu to every page etc)
>Dad helped me to put it on webserver we had from our ISP or whatever that was
>It should be still there today somewhere, with my full name in the About section

>16 years old
>Wants to make better sites
>Started learning about PHP, HTML, CSS and JS
>actually made pretty good website with simple login system, simple CMS and comments (without any framework)

>17-18 years old
>Co-owner of medium size Minecraft server
>thought it would be cool to make my own plugins
>Downloaded Java book and started reading
>started using Java as my "main" language for my projects

>fast forward to now
>freshman in college
>learned Python this semester, it's better for smaller projects than Java
>planning to start learning Django after I pass all my exams
>hopefully I will get my first coding job next semester

17 y.o., in uni
I loved computers before, but was too poor to own one. I had been taught DOS commands previously... but not much more

youtube.com/watch?v=FrEdbKwivCI

Deltron 3030 - Virus

Seriously? I thought they'd just abandoned the website now due to lack of interest.

occasionally there are still new quotes that are unlocked, but the queue keeps growing.

>tfw had to try to learn programming in the 90s without knowing anyone else who was interested

You couldn't just google "learning programming" because there was no Google and the only web resources were shitty geocities tutorials.

I stumbled upon the CS50 course which is free online a few years ago and then got my interests in it. Now I'm taking a university course for computer science.

Poor Irish immigrant, mom was single mother. Figured out through trial and error how to build computers out of the junked ones office buildingspace threw out. Sold computers to neighborhood people to make money.

Later on in school I jailbroke I phones for 50$ a phone and ported games onto graphing calculators for 10$.

At one point a bully coerced me into taking the friends price of 10$ to jailbreak his phone. I did it cause I was a pussy, but I tossed in some spyware for free. Found out he was cheating on his girlfriend and quietly let that slip out. I was an asshole. Now I work for amazon.