Where does one learn to program?

Where does one learn to program?

Other urls found in this thread:

edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-9)
youtube.com/watch?v=42LLo2H6Bm4
youtube.com/watch?v=V3ycmN0rSU8
codecademy.com/learn/python
edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x
google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=learn c programming&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming
csapp.cs.cmu.edu/
nostarch.com/rootkits
beginners.re/
is2.Sup
safaribooksonline.com/library/view/developer-testing-building/9780134291109/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

At home.

College.

Books.

Tutorials online.

Self-taught.

There is no easy way, it's like learning mathematics in a different language, if you wanna do it you just gotta get to it until you git gud.

At home:
Books, compiler, Ideas.
Read a little, code a little.
Dont care about how many mistakes you make at first, or if you are progressing fast enough, just play with code.
Later learn more about Algorithms and data structures since they are the heart of CS and independent of programming language.

/dpt/

no, since he is not programming (yet), much less daily

Pick "x" language for dummies book... read it... (yes, I said READ it), practice on your pc while progressing on book... once finished pick a more advanced one... some stuff are going to be repetitive since every programming book starts with the basics... but you will go faster and learn new and more complicated stuff... while reading always remember practice a lot...

Don't be a woman.
You'll be a programmer in no time ;)

at Sup Forums.org/g/

bullshit. See my answer here:

you just linked me to a post of a cuck

gb2/pol/ moron.

lol

fuk

At a computer.

gb2/reddit/ moron.

start simple, really dial it back

learn HTML if you don't know it. Codecademy is an incredibly casual, light way to test the water.

You could kill like 50 hours on Codecademy and really start to feel like you understand some basic concepts, better than reading some book imo

from there, probably do Free Code Camp, or start watching youtube videos about whatever you want to build, or jump into CS50X

that's what I did and now I'm actually a salaried web developer. two years ago I was a call center "manager"

Even if you don't plan on being a webdev, take some advice from and learn HTML. It's not actually programming, but it'll help you get ideas on things like proper indentation.

at home
learn some easy OOP language

hey op, sounds like your in my position. I was a super poorfag becouse the single mother meme, so i was browsing the poor kids thead on 7chan a few years ago. I came across a thread where this dude layed out his life from just getting out of jail to owning and selling startups. He used mit open course ware (what im using right now) to learn the more advanced programming and sold phones to drug dealers. Im doing it right now and just made my first executable using python to code some shit for my job. Just a simple print program based on raw_input, but it works so im thrilled.

But, i keep getting dragged back into the hardware side of things. Im about to go to some local hobby store and buy some more breadboards and some transistors and start fucking with logic gates (becouse i just learned how they work).

But im stuck right now on memory chips. Like, i understand how the cells work individually, but now im having an issue trying to understand how the row decoder actually record information one one cell without effecting all the other cells on the WL. And i can't find shit about how the decoder, amplifier, buffer, and column decoder actually work.

And i can't find out if this shit is the standard and only way to do it or now (ram, that is).

But op, you just got to do it. AND YOU HAVE TO TAKE NOTES DURING LECTURES AND WHEN YOUR LEARNING ANYTHING NEW. I forgot all the shit a month ago, but after writing it down, it finally starts to make sense.

on the topic of note taking:
Cornell Note taking system for lectures
SQ3R (or any of the techniques derived from it) for taking notes from books.
Feynman method to be sure that you have really understood something.

Look up all those 3 terms in google.

holy shit, this is gold. Why have i never haerd of this? Actually, taking notes seemed to be a meme in school, and nobody did it. (though it was 'bama, and everyone was retarded).

The cornell system seems like it'll help me organize my shit alot, ive just been listening or reading, then pausing and pouring out what i think they were talking about. And if i didn't know what they were talking about, i would end up on a never ending rabbit hole of finding out how this works, and the things that make it, and the things that make it, ect.

ty

It comes naturally. If you have to force yourself to do it, then I don't recommend learning it.

not op, but the logical aspects of it came very naturally to me. Especially the loops and shit. The only thing that gives me shit is memorizing all the codes. And having to learn what certain parts of the computer are. I'de hate to think about how many potentially good programmers are discouraged because of advice like this. Plus, even if they're shit at it - they could always teach.

yw.
I work as a private tutor, this is the trinity I teach during the first hour usually. Many students have the same reaction as you do. "WTF, no one told me one could learn to learn?!?"
Sadly I only discovered those methods myself long after I was out of university. What would I have given to know them earlier.

I learned Python in about a week, mastered it in a month, and now I work at Google making 100k+

Learn Python.

lie?

What do you think?

Part of working at Google is having good judgement.

>I learned Python in about a week
at what point could you say that, i've learned this language?

If you want the Permission Slip, you go to a college or university. If you want to actually learn, you use the Internet and your local library.

learn the concepts through pseudocode.
pick a language.
apply the concepts to the language.
bam, you can program and you're not just a code monkey

when you can implement it

When I tried to teach myself programming, I got disheartened because things that I assumed to be basic would confuse me and make me struggle. I have always wondered if I'd have stuck at it if there had been other people learning it around me, like at a university or something, so I could at least understand what was easy and what was hard.

>tfw did a one-day SQL course at my old job
>tfw crushed it; everyone else in the company BTFO
>tfw maybe I should learn this shit after all
>tfw this was already a couple of years after I'd given up and decided I didn't want to study it any more

Also, I have no need for any of the software I could write. I made myself a text-only friend I could talk to in Python, but he was pretty boring so I don't really talk to him any more, and I don't need any kind of fucking calendar database or calculator or anything.

>I made myself a text-only friend I could talk to in Python, but he
gay. Lol but i did the same thing a while ago - made her respond to text. Was going to turn it into a bit of a text game, till i had to start doing ot at work.

I just picked it back up, and im going to stick it trough. All i can do is use cmd right now as an executable, but i want to start making visuals and shit.

I think its just one of those things where you have to establish a solid foundation, and then everything else comes in layers. Plus you have to have a desire to do something with the code. I want to make shitty games and programs for the company i work for (they're in the stone age). I told them i made a program that ask for a few inputs and prints a table for handling stuff in the freezer, and they thought i was Einstein or something.

100%

learning HTML is like taking a basic coding grammar class

also, do you really know any working professional programmers who don't know basic HTML? doubt it

Books, the internet, practice, and not being a faggot

not op, but do ya'll study hardware at all? Whats the bare minimum ide need to advance into any language? Is machine code worth learning?

Between a few weeks and never.
Depends on your standard for "learned".
A few weeks if you have already knowledge of other languages: You learn the syntax in 2-3 days and spend the rest looking through the standard library, maybe look up a few good software projects in Python online to see how most people actually use the language (can be very different from what any official document says).
"Never" if you really want to know every nook and cranny of it: Fortunately utterly useless most of the time

where did you learn python ?

Learned Python by taking this course (edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-9) and recommend it because except learning programming you will get to know some CS shit (algorithms, how properly write code, documentation etc). Main disadvantade is that it can be hard for newbie but anyway there is good community in the course forum

FYI: Learning programming on your own through the internet is very possible these days. But learning EE that way is a lot harder. There are far fewer resources, and a lot more of them are out of date.

You'll learn much faster if you can get a mentor, or if you stick to online college courses / edX type "deep dive" material.

...are you available?

Come on. It's not hard. Its very easy.
Get a hello world tutorial in visual basic for console applications. Search for a cool project like a chat application and find a youtube video that is relatively good at guiding you through.

I did it my self before learning it in school. Just choose something to be passionate about..

oh i don't need any computer programming explained. Im fine with that. I need the EE stuff explained. For example, i just finished learning about logic gates, memory cells (Sram and Dram) and understand how they work and how they are constructed, as well as what they are constructed of.

Its when i get to shit like the row decoder, or the row buffer. I can't find shit online on how these actually work, below the hood. And then im figuring out what a Front side bus is, and how it connects the cpu to the memory controller, but there seems to be conflicting evidence on whether or not they're used.

Minecraft redstone and the redpower mod.....
You could build a functioning and programmable computer in minecraft. Isn't gonna get you employed, but I've seen some cool stuff with it.

How to build RAM in Minecraft

youtube.com/watch?v=42LLo2H6Bm4

Btw so gonna save that puppy :D

never thought i'de pick it up again. I do have a couple breadboards and am going to pick up transistors tomorrow. Could i prototype in mine-craft, then rebuild on my breadboards?

Go to your local library and get books. It works.

I have no Idea. You need to keep power loss and heat in consideration :)

But prototyping it should work. With redpower you can place gate blocks. This way your circut is a bit more high level and easier to understand. Keep on top of.

[Minecraft Computer Science with AGuy] - FIRST QUAD CORE COMPUTER IN MINECRAFT! [100 Sub Special]

youtube.com/watch?v=V3ycmN0rSU8

>about to get back into autistcraft to understand computer science

did he actually build everything out of wood?
I saw videos of what can happen with fire...

>>autistcraft
You don't sound arrogant at all.

>>Wood
God no. It's wool... colorable blocks?

Learning the basics and syntax of a programming language is quite easy. Easily doable in a week or two with time and/or if you're an autodidact. However, if you want to become a competent programmer, who knows how to use data structures (arrays, hashes, trees, linked-lists, etc) for all sorts of purposes, then that's a different story. If you do want to become competent, and not some kid who claims to know python who can't even code fizzbuzz, I suggest picking up a book on algorithms like introduction to algorithms (cormen et al.), even though that may be slightly advance for a complete newbie to programming. Still, I think it's a good idea to get an early idea of algorithms and what programming is really all about.

There are literally resources everywhere. Lynda.com, skillwise, and a million other sites, some even free. Books are easy to find online.

Listen, I decided to learn software development 5 years ago. Two years in I got my first gig. Three years later, I'm making 130k and have an actual career. I'm probably an edge case, but I guarantee you that if you're not an idiot, and you actually try to learn this shit, you could be making 50-70k in just a few years.

Not to mention propper clean code approaches.

>>Must read Book "Clean Code", "Art of Unit testing", "Building Microservices by Same Newman"

People spend far to much time researching what language to learn, where to learn it, how to learn it, etc. then just doing it. Once you learn a language learning others is eas, so the bottom line is go learn one.

Just go to Code Academy and do the Python course and you would be almost done by the time this thread dies and understand how to program.

And criticism for python or code academy don't matter AT ALL as it's such a tiny time investment and you WILL know how to program after you are done and from there can make decisions on what to do next.

So just go learn to program instead of talking about learning to program:

codecademy.com/learn/python

After that do this:

edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x

>However, if you want to become a competent programmer, who knows how to use data structures
this is the shit i've been waiting for
i feel like you guys have some sort of elite society syndrome, of course i can memorize how certain functions work and use them logically, but learning how to use the RIGHT is what i've been looking for. I've been studying for about a week and have never even heard of a data structure, or hashes or trees for that matter. I understand algorithms pretty well, but never studied it either. What helped me alot was studying how the transistors form logic gates, and the difference between older hard wired computers and the modern stored program computers. Thats the shit these websites don't teach.

Thank you so much

Data Structures and Algorithms is still a core Unit in my University. You need to understand that for efficency purposes and know the correct tools for the job. You will forget most of it, but it should be learned at least once.

Technical interviews still include Data structs....

Good programmers write and tell a story according to uncle bob. It is an extension of the language and pleasent to read. It makes you smile and nod.

Staring at 200 line functions with multiple nested if statements is not cool ! SOLID principle is a must for clean code

not on Sup Forums
/bread

>machine code
Absolutely not. If you're using Windows, low-level programming languages are pretty much off-limits to you anyway. If you're just starting, go with Python or JavaScript or an easy, high-level language like that, and you will never need to care about hardware. For bigger and more serious projects, you will need lower-level languages (C, C++), and those will give you the option to optimise things for specific hardware to make it run faster. For that, you will obviously need to know a bit about hardware.

i've been studying hardware and memory cells and whatnot, i was hoping that i could fuck around in machine code to find out what my machine does on the lowest level to perform functions. But ill just hold off for now.

Well learn assembly

Read books, watch YouTube tutorials, etc. If you really want to learn, you'll figure it out yourself using Google.

You don't /thread yourself, you stupid newfag.

I just want a good place to learn C as my first programming language with no prior expierience in programming, I am not using Python or other shit than C as my first language, nice try.

hey so, i tried the fizz buzz, how'd i do (python).
I know how important it is to do things in as little code as possible, and i just read that people actually graduate college classes and can't do this.

google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=learn c programming&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

You make things

By making things the piece slowly but surely click together and you understand how the cohesive system works

There is a certain amount of theory you want to read but without actually putting that into context yourself it won't do you any good. Someone can tell you what a "buffer" is and you'll know the facts but without understanding what it is, what purpose it servers and why you'd want it you can't really move forward.

So yeah, the sheer complexity of it with computers today kind of creates a self-closing loop where it's hard to get into it but carry on and you'll get it eventually. You'll create a dozen projects that don't really serve any good purpose, operate in roundabout ways and have been done 10x better and more efficiently by someone else but it's all steps towards being a good and competent programmer

Dude.... At my uni one of my mates would be kind of over challanged with this. So yeah, there 1 kind of people.

1 - Those who can
0 - Those who can't

Don't know why though. He really tries

if he can't do that with a college education, i fell sorry for him. I almost flunked hs because i couldn't stop falling asleep.

Maybe he should switch to[spoiler]liberal arts[/spoiler]

>OOP
>easy

You can sign up for a class at your local community/junior college without enrolling as a full time student.

Yep he kind of picked the wrong course.

can simplify the if/else logic like so
if (!a%3) printf("Fizz");
if (!a%5) printf("Buzz");
else printf(a);

it'll still print FizzBuzz when a%3 is 0 and a%5 is 0
also you could call the function recursively rather than through a loop. just a bit cleaner

i just started so im still learning
if you wouldn't mind answering
>why does your print have a f?
>how did you condense a%3==0 into !a%3? what does the ! do? Also, im in 2.7.
Also, do you not need to say elif? Could i just keep saying if until i hit my else? Or am i looking at two if statments, and only the second what has the else?

damn im stupid, you made it into two if statements so it would perform the Fizz and the buzz if they both showed up, eliminating the and line i had. but wouldn't that also print a if the at a multiple of 3 but not five? Like, if a was 9, it would print 9Fizz? Becouse the instruction i read was for the fizz to replace the number.

printf is the normal C function for printing to standard out
in C (and lots of other languages, not sure about Python) 0 counts as false and one is true. so if a % 3 == 0 then !a % 3 would be 1, or true

and yeah the logic in the else is actually a little wrong because there are some cases where it should run but it won't and vice versa...dumb mistake on my part

yea sorry i figured out you were using c or some offshoot after just googling printf. I guess i jumped the gun on all my questions and should have just thought about it.

objectively false.
Its been proven numerous times that you program way more efficiently if you shave your legs, wear kneesocks and lick your cum on stream.

khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming

nah asking questions is important. keep at it senpai

If you want to be a programmer you must love to read because you will be reading a lot all your life.

Reposting what I posted in the other thread

If you have no previous programming experience at all, download Swift Playgrounds on an iPad and use that. Every language tutorial/starter guide on the internet is great for learning the language, but almost always only covers the syntax.

If you're new to programming, you have to intuitively think like a programmer. Swift Playgrounds is the best resource that will build that, and then moving onto another language will be a lot easier.

They were talking about women, not traps :^)

Get the book CS:APP on Abe Books for $20
csapp.cs.cmu.edu/

3rd edition is for x86-64 Linux which you can run in a VM if you run Windows.

After you can now get windows reverse engineering books like this: nostarch.com/rootkits or go full retard and read/do this massive guide to reverse engineering: beginners.re/

that is one sexy rake

What books are must reads in 2017 as a junior developer?

Any of these is2.Sup Forums.org/g/1484465450184.jpg

Plus books on testing
safaribooksonline.com/library/view/developer-testing-building/9780134291109/

On the interwebs

Alright then, Im trying to get this program to search the user_list, and ask for a password based on which user was selected. I was thinking that i would make a comparative statement between u_var and a specific item in the list, Something like,
>create a second list, user_pass, where the passwords holds the same position in their own list as the position of the username they are tied to in user_list

>after the computer verified that the username is valid, ask for a new input for u_pass

>check u_pass against the number stored in the list. For Jack, the pass would be checked against position 1 in list user_pass, since jacks posion is 1 in his list.

so i wan't to write something like this for the comparison
>If user_pass == pos1 in user_pass
but im not quit sure how to do it. halp please

>2017
>still using Python 2

Whats wrong with python 2? I downloaded if because the course i was taking was using it.

Also, i had a formatting error when my structure for the final else was

"Im sorry %s, your password is incorrect. Please try again" % u_var

why was that?

>there are people on this website who cannot fathom that there are "vetted" Sup Forums users who dont like Sup Forumstards, and that all people who dislike them must have originated from reddit
>despite the fact that half of Sup Forums heard of Sup Forums through reddit or facebook

>Whats wrong with python 2?
Python 3 is just a better designed language in my opinion

>You don't /thread yourself, you stupid newfag.
Wrong, newfag, if there is nothing more to be said in the thread, it's good practise to end it
/thread

But there is always more to be said in a thread about learning programming.

what books do you guys recommend?