Seriously, would you really want gnu+linux to be a mainstream normalfag os?

seriously, would you really want gnu+linux to be a mainstream normalfag os?

Of course, why the fuck wouldn't I want that?

Wow nice taste OP.

It already is.

I don't really care what other people use.
Most people preform all of their tasks in a web browser anyway so I don't see any issues, use BSD for all I care

a free (as in freedom) operation system is requirement, it should be standard. People might not give a shit about how their image editor, web browser, file manager licence but operation system should be open software. If gnu/linux becomes mainstream and if i can't browse internet without an antivirus, i'd just migrate to bsd or hurd

Not really. Red Hat etc would gain even more power over the whole ecosystem. As it is I'll probably have to switch to BSD at some point

best girl

I don't. But, I doubt Sup Forums is overflowing with normalfags. I want autists like me to use GNU plus Linux so that we can ascend to the next plane of computation.

I don't, but it will be one day.

Guess then I'll move to BSD, ReactOS or Plan9.

Yes because then game devs would make Linux ports or else they'd be leaving money on the table. I'd have no reason to use Windows if every PC game was on Linux.

linux is free from the start and never was able to gain any popularity outside the autistic lolimahaxor crowd so i dont think so

Ubuntuos on phone failed, steamos on console failed and linux failed as a desktop os too

Its a good fridge os tho

It would help, and I disagree with those who say the plebs need to be kept out or bad things will happen.

The plebs will use Ubuntu or Mint or what have you. The guts of the OS will be the same as on any other distro, they'll just have a fancy bloated DE on top of them with a bunch of nice user-friendly GUI tools for doing things like managing packages. There'll be nothing stopping those of us who want Linux as it is now from using Debian or Fedora or Gentoo or Arch or whatever. And the mass-market adoption will bring better hardware and driver support.

Mass market adoption will probably attract more attention from malware authors, but when and if that happens, it's easier to patch the flaws in free software, once something is in the wild exploiting them.

Another one of the advantages of this would be to slowly squeeze out proprietary licensing. Not just at the OS level, but anywhere. Imagine if half of all computer users had nothing but free software in their repos. Someone trying to sell proprietary software would have a harder time, half the total market would say "Well why would I pay for that, when my distro gives it to me already?"

Please tell me you're not American. I can't stand the thought of some godless hippie communist living in my country.

That doesn't look like satanichia.

free software exists outside the capitalist-communist spectrum. Software isn't economically scarce, since once it exists it can be duplicated perfectly and infinitely at effectively zero cost. Intellectual property isn't property at all.

The people who can't resist the urge to open sketchy email attachments prefer tablets and smartphones over laptops.

would it though? Gimp is open source alternative to photoshop and it's available on linux,windows and mac, literally %99 of OS market. People would pay for photoshop because it's simply more professional and functional. But with windows 10 i can see how microsoft can go; and it's stupid how this guys have %90 of marketshare.

Sadly, now war is changing and computers are slowly dying. The future is mobile phones, and they all come with closed source modifications. If you prefer going open source on mobile you'll have worse camera quality and maybe worse battery, which will hurt open software on mobile phones, which are the desktops of tomorrow

>The future is mobile phones
WTF are guys like you smoking? I hear this shit from CEOs and Gartner all the time. But how on earth should this work? Do you guys really think that one day, serious people will get their work done on mobile phones? Or watch all their movies with it or what? I personally can't even stand laptops, even if you ignore performance for a minute. Just think about ergonomics. What are you planing to do with your phones?

I see that there are a lot of stupid normies and poor people that constantly use their phone. They even watch movies at home on their phone. But do you really think they wouldn't use a real computer with a huge ass monitor and a mechanical keyboard and a mouse if they could afford it or had the expertise to use such devices?

only if bash gets eradicated and replaced with better shell

Things are heading back to the time-sharing/mainframe paradigm with the cloud. Desktops are going to die out or be slowly priced out of reach of consumers.

Things like that might happen, especially if things like the nvidia cloud stuff gain some momentum. But for many people the latency will be a problem. Also I don't see why desktops should be priced out. If anything they have been getting cheaper and cheaper over the years. In the end server and consumer hardware is not so different from each other, at least not anymore.

So far cloud services have mostly failed in the consumer sector. Mail is a special case, but it has more to do with flexible IPs and some stupid filter rules. Personally I wouldn't count Netflix and Spotify as cloud services.

The only thing I would see some benefit is in foto/ video / 3d stuff. Given the latency isn't too bad and the servers are extremely powerful for cheap. However consumers hate to pay for those things and are accustomed to pirate everything or use free software. I never met someone who bought a legal copy of photoshop. Also I guess most consumers dislike subscriptions and non flatrate tariffs. It's just confusing and hard to calculate the costs.

We'll see, but I personally will use big towers until the botnet takes them from me with force from my dying hands.

Of course not.

About 25% will do

There isn't enough tech savvy for that. 10% is doable with chromebook.

Who is this? Is she the new Maki?

Fucking AOTY