Mfw there are people here who actually use openBSD on their desktop

>mfw there are people here who actually use openBSD on their desktop

Why are you going through that hassle? I mean for some server apps it might be good, but for desktop usage it is utter shit

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22998852
google.com.au/search?q=i will try to quote a random link so that it appears I had a reply to save my face&oq=i will try to quote a random link so that it appears I had a reply to save my face
gwern.net/Spaced repetition
freebsd.kde.org/news.php#itemKDEPlasma585inarea51
wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Hardware_Support
wiki.freebsd.org/dev/ath_hal(4)/HardwareSupport
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If that works for them, why are you so bothered?

No idea OP. If you're really set on using a BSD release FreeBSD is a more viable option. To each his own I guess.

Hey Doc, gotta question for ya, what's the best KDE based distro nowadays?

gnome is the better distro

Neon

Who's the real one???

rlly makes u think.

I have many fans, Sup Forums is my fanclub

same.

why do you still make this thread

Stop faking my name, nigger

Might as well just use Linux if you're going to forgo OpenBSD's security

>KDE
lmao

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22998852

google.com.au/search?q=i will try to quote a random link so that it appears I had a reply to save my face&oq=i will try to quote a random link so that it appears I had a reply to save my face

Chill, mate.

this is a good one, too
gwern.net/Spaced repetition

You seem upset

And deal with systemd? No fucking thanks, I'll stick with FreeBSD.

There is nothing wrong with systemd

Just use OpenRC matey

>deal with systemd
>deal with
>implying systemd is a hassle
systemd is a god fuckin bless

what like two fucking people?

>some server apps
>server apps
>apps

oh you mean botnet freebsd ?

>breaks something every other update
>troubleshooting is a nightmare
>bugzilla's official stance to everything is "lel werks on my machine asshats, t. Harry Pottering"
>suspected ties to three letter agencies

Why systemd over init?

init did 9/11

init just werks though.

systemd is more straight forward and easy to use

>new software has the potential bugs, so lets use old software forever and ever, where the bugs are called features and you fail the software instead of the other way around
>i don't know how to use systemd and I'm either incapable of or don't care to learn something new
>somebody either closed my pet bug or I found somebody else pissed off at the closing of their bug so I'm now going to harbor a grudge
>botnet meme

>read first paragraph
>"sorry, i just wanted to grab everyone's attention. openbsd isn't actually insecure."
What was your point again?

Maybe try actually reading it instead of scanning it without comprehension looking for stupid reasons to ignore it.

Stupid intellectually-dishonest tactics like that is why the democrats lost last November and couldn't figure out why.

The problem with systemd is that the bugs keep returning back all the time, and the devs give zero fucks. Same mentality as why there are decade old open bugreports for Gnome/KDE and I feel great disappointment that you support it

Vanilla FreeBSD + KDE4 or (5 from area51) freebsd.kde.org/news.php#itemKDEPlasma585inarea51

>What is a fucking Jail?
The OpenBSD approach emphasizes less attaching permissions to program binaries but more to particular daemon instances.

>apps what are you, 3 years old?

Why so many of us on Sup Forums?

>SELinxu is based on the FLASK architecture, is primarily developed by the NSA

>Someone else does what works for them
>Linux user bitches about it

Desktop Linux users are the atheists of the computer industry.

it's ironic that the only thing lintards ever do is come into our threads to call us shills and post FUD

then they proceed to shill Red Hat shit, it really fires up my neurons

>using openbsd is a hassle

it takes 30 minutes to set up a fully functional system

>fully functional

if you have a clear idea of what from you system. And a fast enough internet connection. Then yes

It's loads better than FreeBSD as a desktop. The configuration is easy on OpenBSD, and there are less retarded surprises that come from the backwards-compatibility fetish the FreeBSD people have.

>in this image: someone wants to get assraped by proprietary software and is upset that their favorite companies don't produce assrape dildoes for OpenBSD like they do for GNU/Linux

What hassle? It's literally no more of a hassle than using Linux
>install OS
>install programs
>use it

A better question is why do you give a shit what OS others choose to use on their own machines when it affects you in absolutely no way whatsoever?

>tfw a screenshot of your reply becomes a go to image whiny autists

GNU users are insecure about their choices, is all.

Too much missing software packages. It's worse than Debian.

At least there is no systemd

Use Whonix faggots.

Oh good the BSD thread is still up. For any BSD users here, why is FreeBSD viewed by some as too "Linux-like", "the Ubuntu of BSD", etc compared to other BSDs? Is it just because it gets the most exposure among the BSDs so it's an easy target?

>mfw installing FreeBSD rn

BSD aint free

It's not really viewed that way by any serious members of the community. It's mostly the irrelevant, often miseducated end users who know absolutely nothing about their system that you're running into.

Everyone else with a brain begs to differ.

BSD is true freedom

>mfw there are people here who actually use Win10 on their desktop

Takes me 15 mins from arch installer splashscreen to fap time on sankaku channe with a riced i3

i used both operating systems, and whenever something was either too old or missing i just compiled it myself, it's not the end of the world

literally respects all of stallman's essential freedoms, so fuck off

>server apps

>viewed by some

Because FreeBSD just tries to be a better alternative to Linux, its sort of in direct competition with Linux on every feature.

Most other BSD's have less "general" mission statements.

>using communist vocabulary like the plural of "freedom"
fuck off, plebbtiro

Linux isn't an OS, it's a kernel.

Ok Stallman, but you're missing the forest for the trees. "Linux" has become the generic term for GNU/Linux systems. Arch Linux. Linux Mint. Manjaro Linux. Slackware Linux. GNU is important but these days in most modern distros the GNU stuff is less than 10% of the operating system.

Anybody have experience with TrueOS (PC-BSD) on a laptop? Thinking about giving it a try.

Just felt like contributing something as worthwile as the rest of the thread.

I run FreeBSD, and am toying around with Funtoo in bhyve.

Try it, then. What's holding you back?

>what is a colloquialism

What graphics do you have?

No seriously if you care about hardware acceleration this does affect which *BSD you should use.

Possibly drivers.

Planning on installing it on a Thinkpad X200T, so I believe Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD.

I swapped out the wireless card for one with open source drivers on Linux, so I think that should work fine with BSD as well.

Well your graphics will work out of the box on FreeBSD (and presumably TrueOS too) then. What wireless card?

Atheros AR5B95 AR928

>Well your graphics will work out of the box on FreeBSD
That's not really true.
AMDs released after 2011 (GCN) aren't supported and neither are Intels newer than Haswell (2013).
Have fun with generic driver and no acceleration.

Only nVidia has good support on FreeBSD, and that's only because nVidia did their work for them and released proprietary drivers.

Source: wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Hardware_Support

Since TrueOS are CURRENT now, it should be supported.

GMA 4500 / 4500MHD is literally listed on the page you're linking. >>>/reddit/, newfag.

>GMA 4500MHD
>Haswell and newer

Neat. Will give it a try this week.

Oh right, I didn't notice you had and old Thinkpad.

It's my biggest gripe with FreeBSD, though. I can't install it on laptop because graphics.

Looks like that's based on the AR9285 chipset, which is fully supported.

wiki.freebsd.org/dev/ath_hal(4)/HardwareSupport

I've said this in many other threads, but it bears repeating: Software has been more important than hardware, all the way back to the 70s. You pick your hardware depending on your software, not the other way around.

This

1. The idea of running FreeBSD on the laptop only occurred to me 2 years after buying it.

2. Every new laptop is unsupported because they either have GCN-based AMD APUs or new Intels. If you want to run FreeBSD on a laptop, you have to buy an older model second-hand.
But I guess that isn't a problem since every FreeBSD developer has a Mac :^)

You have a point there and it would be valid for desktops and servers, but if you want a new laptop you are screwed.

Doesn't FreeBSD have a proprietary Nvidia driver? Why can't you use a laptop with a Nvidia dGPU?

That's not something I'd want to do.
I only use the laptop for coding, browsing, music, and the occasional movie. I don't need a dedicated GPU for any of that and it would only eat the battery faster.
Also, they usually only put dGPUs into 15"+ laptops and that's too big for the intended use.

bsd is too free for gplfags

this

i like BSD but trueos is seriously a meme what the fuck

So don't use it?

OpenBSD provides all of these secure features which is then all laid useless by the fact that OpenBSD has no support for Wayland and has to run on Xorg/Xserver.

If you are using xorg/xserver you can not ever assume your system is not 100% vulnerable to attacks.

they maintain their own version of Xorg for that specific reason

i'm pretty sure openbsd was the first to have a privilege separated Xorg, hell they might even be the only ones to have it

but yes obviously don't run Xorg on a server if you can help it

Which is why Xenocara is a thing.

I was completely unaware of this, I'll look into it. Thank you.

This is what led me to using Fedora/GNOME on my families GNU/Linux machines, the default Wayland.

wayland probably has some good parts about it, like not having some server-client design that makes no sense in 2017

too bad the devs hate anything that's not linux

Is this native to OpenBSD?

a bit, it's pretty much a set of patches that sit on top of Xorg, these patches also allow you to build Xenocara using what comes with OpenBSD, that way you don't have to install gmake just to compile it

What is a breeze for some is a hassle for others
Sorry you struggle OP

Ahh fantastic, i will get onto that now, thanks friend

And GNU users are the vegans.

That is incredibly accurate

Because it enables the use of proprietary software more than any other BSD, which makes it similar to GNU/Linux. It also has a Linux emulator that many people use. The FreeBSD people also often make comparisons between FreeBSD and GNU/Linux when the other projects just don't make any comparisons at all.
I don't really know if it's more like GNU/Linux though, since I don't use GNU/Linux.