>notice outdoor light is dim and pinkish
> go to change it
> see pick related
What the fuck is this shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GU24_lamp_fitting
a.co/hBaOH2K
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog
dx.com/p/e27-female-to-gu24-male-light-lamp-bulb-adapter-converter-white-220v-258869
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Cried_Wolf
homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Weatherproof-Socket-Black-R60-00055-000/100356874
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's called a light bulb

That is actually a dark sucker. It sucks the darkness from around it.

that connector looks proprietary as fuck though. Why would they install these?

It's not for you to know. You're not bright enough.

That's a GU24 CFL my man

sageru

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GU24_lamp_fitting

>GU24
That's actually quite helpful, thanks

>Use of the GU24 fitting provides compliance with a 2008 ruling by the California Energy Commission under Title 24 (California Building Standards Code) to require high-efficiency lighting on all residential remodels and new construction. The GU24 fitting maintains the energy efficiency of the light by preventing an occupant from using an incandescent bulb instead of a CFL. Adapters to use incandescent bulbs in a GU24 fitting are illegal in the State of California as they would be a fire hazard in fixtures designed for the lower heat output of a CFL bulb.
Holy shit. Talk about a police state.

HOLY FUCK

California is fucking weird with their laws. Especially their "contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer" messages.

but the adapter thing for fire hazards makes sense
I think that's a specific law for being able to sell your product in California, or there is a lot of cancer research in California

Funny as making this funky connector was, they could have also simply gone with a GU10 connector and maintained better compatibility amongst other bulbs.

CFL contain Mercury. :^)

> police state because California has a new bulb connector

so what are you idiots going to say when we actually become a police state?

I'm (OP) in massachusetts. Police state because they are mandating what kind of light bulbs you're allowed to use, specifically ones that have a price premium. Replacement bulbs list on amazon for $10 for a CFL

CFL's on average last much longer than incandescent bulbs, even by conservative estimates, so in the long run you are paying less.

Not when an LED bulb with a standard connector would cost less to buy.

What the fuck? I've only ever heard it called an Emitter of Light Rays

California is master of making retarded laws and stripping freedoms.

I really hope a giant earthquake sinks the entire state soon, hopefully before more of the California residents infect other states.

Massachusetts is right behind california on freedom hating

All it really takes to adapt any socket is two pieces of wire

>New connector
For the sole purpose of fucking people over and preventing backwards compatibility? Whenever Apple or whoever does that Sup Forums goes fucking nuts. Making it the law is even more obtuse and intrusive.

Buy this and be happy user - a.co/hBaOH2K

The difference is Massachusetts doesn't matter and has like, 5 electoral votes.

America would be better off if California secceeded.

That's actually illegal in California.

California BANNED HIGH CAPACITY LIGHT SOCKET ADAPTERS.

Mass has 11. Not much compared to California's 55, but still more than any other state in new England

>the government will incarcerate me for using an unapproved light bulb or for bypassing the government mandated lightbulb connection
>thankfully I don't live in a police state

California is straight out of fucking Brazil. Pic related, it's what happens to you when you illegally replace your own lightbulbs.

It's Illegal in CA because CA mandated high efficiency lighting use the GU24 in construction after 2008.

My guess is it's from some communist shithole

>california

I hate being right all the time.

>I really hope a giant earthquake sinks the entire state soon
Suddenly you lose Silicon Valley. Do you really want that? Literally the only reason why we even have the Internet and PCs in general is pretty much because of California.

honestly I'd take the risk. Silicon Valley is getting to expensive to live near.

Is that why FOX shills for Boston?

>Police state because they are mandating what kind of light bulbs you're allowed to use

The government mandates what kind of toilets are used in the US. And ovens, and fridges, etc.

This is nothing at all new or unique to California.

>Implying geography had anything to do with it and not the business climate created by Reagan and the Bushes
Silicon Valley could easily have been in Seattle or Denver or Boston. Nothing in particular was special about San Fransisco.

The purpose was to promote energy efficiency, and the reason adapters can't be used is because it's a legitimate fire hazard.

If you think that's oppressive, you probably have never had to deal with building codes or fire marshals, which are in all 50 states.

Fuck, I just realized it's EVERY light socket built into this apartment. God damn my wallet hurts.

Installing these are a bitch compared to just screwing it in.

dude cfl's last forever the one in my bedroom died this week I moved in like fucking 4 years ago
what in the fuck statism not even once

>so what are you idiots going to say when we actually become a police state?

We would be too desensitized to even recognize it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

dx.com/p/e27-female-to-gu24-male-light-lamp-bulb-adapter-converter-white-220v-258869
>dude cfl's last forever the one in my bedroom died this week I moved in like fucking 4 years ago
That's how long incandescent bulbs often last if you don't have any grid issues you know

and they cost 2-5 times what they would if I had normal connectors. I have a bunch of LED that I can't use in the ceiling lights.

>That's how long incandescent bulbs often last if you don't have any grid issues you know

You are flat out wrong. Incandescent bulbs last on average 1.5k hours, with outliers maybe lasting a thousand more. CFL's last 6k hours as a super-conservative estimate and usually last much longer. And that's before you take into account electric bill savings.

>America would be better off if California secceeded

Yeah we dont need stupid califirnia

The answer is not tilting at windmills, because people will just tune you out.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Cried_Wolf

someone should bring out a cfl bulb in GU24 just to fuck with them.

In fact, how has that not happened already?

OP, are you sure your lease agreement doesn't include something about your landlord being responsible for doing shit like changing lightbulbs?

Not a clue to be honest. They might

I'm surprised California hasn't banned CFLs because of the mercury or whatever.

I know that it's a thing in a lot of lease agreement boilerplate, and if they take on the responsibility of maintenance that may include bulb replacement. In which case, you can just bitch to the landlord if a CFL burns out.

most people decrying 'muh statism' and 'muh police state' have no idea how much law exists to protect and benefit them.

We could all go back to the first industrial revolution where anyone with money could essentially do or not do anything they wanted. I for one welcome not living next to open sewers and similar such trivialities.

How can you be so stupid and yet competent enough to use a computer?

But CFL brightness decreases rapidly with age.

what is your problem cuckboy?

>have no idea how much law exists to protect and benefit them
>t. statist commie

>most people decrying 'muh statism' and 'muh police state' have no idea how much law exists to protect and benefit them.

You fucking moron, lol.

nothing is stopping you from fitting a new socket
homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-Weatherproof-Socket-Black-R60-00055-000/100356874

please, go make your lawless society. Go on. Live in your amazing wonderland. I'll wait here and enjoy my air-conditioned house and luxury consumables that were transported around the globe twice over just so I could get fat off it.

yeah building codes truly are for assholes. Sewerage is for assholes too.

People asking why aren't there any CFLs using GU24 and people who think replacing an A19 is easier than a GU24.

That's the new nvidia graphics card prototype.

Well the law is

>Especially their "contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer" messages.

>People asking why aren't there any CFLs using GU24
could easily have been solved by a google search but that shows just how little I cared.

Probably because the Edison socket is cancerous as fuck

wrong

it is only illegal to use adapters for an extended period of time

GU24 sockets simply ensure high efficacy lighting is being used
a standard socket can still be high efficacy if a proper bulb is used

the law for outdoor lighting simply states that high efficacy lighting must be used
OR controlled by a motion sensor and
either a photocell

Food code
Fire code
Miranda
Rules of the road
5th

And obviously for you the disabled persons act

Could be solved even easier by you being able to read the quote.

Hmm, I wonder why Trump supporters prefer incandescents...

Why don't you all just use tube lights like us asian folk have done for the decades past, present, and future?

Efficient, long lived, little lumen deprecation, and cheap.

>party preferences aligned with lightbulb preferences

this would explain why american democracy is a farce.

I wish we did. But people find them depressing.

This is the new president of the USA :-)

Probably because shit like this is impractical and ugly

CFLs are the same technology as tube lights, just in different shapes

Most CFLs are less efficient, depreciate quicker and don't last as long
Just mount a fixture on a stick.

Tube lights cause hallucinations if you're exposed to them too often.
Also if they break you get cancer or something.

>go make your lawless society
The whole world is occupied by governments already, there's no accessible place to go.

>Most CFLs are less efficient, depreciate quicker and don't last as long
True but fluorescent technology is irrelevant in all forms now anyway
LEDs have surpassed even straight tube CFLs in efficiency

Antarctica, but you'd be in violation of an international treaty I suppose.

>but the adapter thing for fire hazards makes sense
Ok, yeah, sure, because a housing that isn't supposed to take a high heat bulb shouldn't have one put into it.
There are regulations around that already, not just with these adapters.

Billions of people must hallucinate then you retard.
When cooled to impractical temperatures, yes. Under working conditions, no. But they turn on instantly, dim fully, and aren't damaged by cycling.

International Waters, but China is claiming it all now.

>CFL's on average last much longer than incandescent bulbs
You need to really define this because CFLs can become bad without actually "failing" but you would still replace them, increased flicker etc.

I switched to CFLs first in my room but I ended up replacing them with LEDs because they were fucking shit.

>When cooled to impractical temperatures, yes.
Not true.

You can buy LED lights with over 150 lm/W today. That's 50% more efficient than tube fluorescents.

>dude cfl's last forever the one in my bedroom died this week I moved in like fucking 4 years ago
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light

The worst thing for incandescents is actually being turned off and on, the expansion and contraction of the filament is what eventually causes them to break so if you just leave one switched on it actually does last forever.

Unlike CFLs and LEDs which degrade over time just by being on.

A19 is easier to change than GU24 and is more secure.
Just twist it in until it's tight, you don't have to fuck around with hole alignment or wondering if it's turned enough. The GU24 just let's the bulb hang down precariously.

Not an argument.
If the GU24 wasn't safe it'd be banned in California.

Didn't say it's not safe, just that it's not as easy to install.

>Billions of people must hallucinate then you retard.
Literally true. But my definition of hallucinate may be different to yours.

the other problem is all bulb manufacturers years ago signed a pact to not allow standard incandescents to go past 1500 hours. they could easily make them last longer but then you wouldn't buy anymore.

>implying he is wrong

Buck off barjonetnigger

>almonds and shitty olive oil

>literal jail time for using a light bulb they don't like
>jail for using a lightbulb
>a fucking light bulb
it may not be a police state, but califagistan sure likes to get close to it

cali ?

>people should not know information

enjoy your cancer

>light is illegal in California

Jesus Christ, California.

Consumer reports did actual live testing of actual CFL bulbs and found that there was no brightness or warm-up difference after 3,000 hours.

Turning them on and off is what decreases their longevity, but the kinds of lights that you actually turn on and off rapidly usually don't stay on for very long anyway.

Not that it actually matters, because LED lights are superior in pretty much every way, and those come in GU24 sockets as well. But people have their panties in a bunch over basically nothing.

That's fine and all but incandescent and halogen are both still better

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9-iSl_eg5U&t=2m43s