What do you use for DNS?

What do you use for DNS?
If I use 8.8.8.8, Google will get a peek at every DNS lookup I do.
Do I need to host my own DNS if I want a little privacy?

Other urls found in this thread:

opennicproject.org/
dnscrypt.org/
opennicproject.org/nearest-servers/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Doesn;t microsoft supply the default one on windows?

Make a plugin for your browser that records and translates domain names to ip addresses.

..... And how would you keep that up to date and allow customization?

The DNS is purposly a best possible decentralized system

I donno, that's just the best idea I can come up with. Companies usually have static IPs

Depends, if your ISP doesnt block anything why not use theirs?

opennicproject.org/

I'm just realizing there's no way to do this. DNS leaks your requests by design. I had honestly though it was more like old NNTP, relaying around deltas to a big master lookup database or something.

OpenDNS

I think what you're looking for is a local proxy that caches DNS requests so that it can fetch results from cache instead of querying the DNS-server every time. Web browsers also cache DNS responses for faster access the next time it encounters the domain.

Even if you don't care about privacy, it's still a good idea to use DNSCrypt to prevent your DNS queries from being modified.
dnscrypt.org/

That sounds good too

This. Dnscrypt + dnsmasq

>dear g, i am ambarrased google is watching me dl cp. Can u solve?

opennicproject.org/nearest-servers/

These together. dnscrypt connecting to an opennic server and using a local cache for speed.

If you're that paranoid don't use the internet. The system is based on sharing and distributing information. But you're a moron if you think anybody is tracking that much information or that you can make a legally reasonable case based on DNS lookups.

I send all my DNS through a VPN to some random set of DNS servers in another country.

As long as I separate my DNS traffic from the rest of my traffic, it can't be used for correlation and is therefore mostly useless.

>opennic
No privacy statement

>dnscrypt
No android port

>Companies usually have static IPs
No.
Most of the services you probably use do not in fact.

There is in the f droid repo. I use dns66. Plus you can add various host lists.

Use your ISP's. Unless you want to fetch Netflix/Youtube/Whatever CDN content from the other side of the world instead of what your ISP caches 3 miles from you.

>No android port
That must be why "DNSCrypt for Android" is listed on their website...

a) run your own resolver
b) use Level 3's nameservers 4.2.2.2

Your ISP logs your traffic anyway, no matter where you look up the domain information. So whats the point of not using the DNS of your ISP?

my isp blocks a lot of stuff, does using a dns stop this? which dns is actually good? googles is botnet or not? i barely know how dns works

What does your ISP block, for example?

a lot of private trackers but not torrenting itself.

i use the default one until something goes wrong with it

Actually, using the DNS of your ISP gives you the most privacy, since no third parties are involved (e.g. when using Googles 8.8.8.8)