/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sGsacygwvZM
head-fi.org/t/831355/hifiman-edition-6-headphones/300
youtube.com/watch?v=BsBgCYL9Dn8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Sound signature
>doesn't matter xdd

FUCKING STOP

My fuckin 6XX's cord is comically short

First for world's greatest headphones

For sub $30 at least

HD600 > your headphones.

>$30
where?
they're $45 on amazon

GearBest

Where that guy said

Process ingredients takes forever, but the extra money saved will get some decent pads

Post you're test track when auditioning headphones

My brother uses Aphex Twin - Polynomial C

For bass control, Aether - Elysia's Heart.
Treble harshness, Beautiful Lies by B-Complex or No One Home by NCT.
Mids/Female Vocals: Rearranged - Subsonik & Muffler Remix or Lights Bassnectar Remix by Ellie Goulding

try Raven by John Dahlbäck

>Budget
$1000+
>Location
USA
>Source
Fostex HP-A4
>Type of headphone
Full Size, electrostatic is ok
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Not a huge concern
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
HD600

I just send my Marshall Major II back because of a fucking mistake, long story
I want them back but now they cost almost double
any similar budget headphones?

Rate my shit bois
-Right headphones are argons btw

Which pads did you get with your Argons?

How are you enjoying those 1More triple drivers?

On a side note, when did the 1More triple drivers become the IEM memephone here? It felt like it came out of nowhere, then suddenly everyone was recommending it for that pricepoint.

>Budget - £50 with some slight flexibility
>Location - Bongland
>Source - computer or Teac AG-790 amp
>Type of headphone - full sized
>Open or closed - preferably closed but not set on it
>Comfort level - breddy gomfy plz
>Sound signature - a general good range
>Past headphones - meme tier gaming headsets and cheap shit

You really should go test out some cans at that price point but if you like HD600 and want to do a blind buy, I'd probably go for Elear. I've compared them against HD800S, HD800, HE1000, LCD2/3 among others and they're very middle-of-the-road and fun to listen to. Their most notable characteristic is their punchiness, they kinda sound like planars in that sense.

>First for world's greatest headphones
>
>For sub $30 at least

Kek'd.

1) SHIT BUILD QUALITY - it's crap. They will fall apart after 6 months of daily use.

2) SHIT PADS - you need to buy a set of expensive velour pads to make that shit comfy.

3) ZERO RESALE VALUE - if you get tired of them, the only way to get rid of them is to put them in a trash can.

only retards buy that shit. save fucking $100 and buy a good set of phones.

Overall much crisper than my se215 but arent quite as bassy. Def worth the price though. Couldnt see anything in this price area which can compste
Lambskins havent come yet but from what ive heard they are the pad they were tuned for

youtube.com/watch?v=sGsacygwvZM

Best 765.

>Budget
$250
>Location
Murica
>Source
PC, vintage Thorens turntable
>Type of headphone
full size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Indifferent
>Sound signature
As neutral as possible
>Past headphones
AKG K540

Best studio headphones for mixing? (I'll get some monitors next).

Gearslutz says HD800s are too colored.

lack coloration isnt actually too much the main focus. youre better off going for something incredibly revealing like MDR7506's, though which are pretty flat, depending on what year/generation you have

HD600's are probably what I'd choose for pure flatness

if you're going cost no object, i have to recommend stax. sr-007 or sr-009. they're considered the world's best among many "audiophile" forums AND the inner fidelity man himself, tyll. he's a relatively famous reviewer within the headphone community who owns/has tested hundreds of headphone models. if you're looking for near $1000-$2000, then i do highly recommend the hd800S. it's very neutral, has arguably the best sound stage and imaging in the game, and is exceedingly comfortable. if soundstage isn't your primary concern, hifiman he-6's are considered to be among the best planar headphones, though their build quality is lacking. they also require some insane amplification. also something to check out is the ether flow; a guy in san diego hand-makes headphones and they run about $1600, Tyll prefers them over the hd800S, but he generally likes darker headphones. check out innerfidelity for sure, but i think you can't go wrong with any of those.

"do it again" by steely dan for sound stage/imaging/instrument separation. they just recorded everything perfectly.
"left right" by yg for bass.
pretty much anything classical with lead violin for treble

I'm gonna go pick up my 668Bs in a couple of days from the post office
Hype

You better be picking up new pads at the same time.

Getting them soon enough

Hey. Did anybody webarchived the deleted posts from?? I kek'd at the pics head-fi.org/t/831355/hifiman-edition-6-headphones/300

Hifimans quotes are still there from other posters nevermind. kek.

>citing tyll "these $1000 cables sound much cleaner and bring out the details" hertsens as a reliable source
Tyll is only good for his measurements.

yes and as long as you only look at the data and skip his analysis on it.

What company might've made this headphone?

What's the best low-priced sound card? Looking for something sub $30-40.

Your motherboard. That shit won't be any better.

Rundown of the M20X up to the M50X? Looking to get the M40X.

Literally any chink comapany that sells unbranded generic products you can slap your company logo on.

Hey guys!

>Budget
200 bucks or less

>Location
Germany

>Source
iPhone 7 Plus

>Type of headphone
Bluetooth

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
I want to wear them a decent amount

>Sound signature
Im preferring a rich sound. I listen to everything from pop to metal so it should be balanced aswell

>Past headphones

Apple earbuds
>okay for what they offered

Sennheiser Momentum
>pretty darn sweet too

Marshal Mid Bluetooth
> absolute trash (my first Bluetooth headphones) it sounded like listening through a aluminum can

what are sound stage and headphone shape (v shaped or warm ...) in layman's terms

what is L-shaped?

>Budget
0-150$ USD

>Location
Denmark

>Source
PC or Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini

>Type of headphone
Full-sized, cabled

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Great, will be wearing them multiple hours at a time

>Sound signature
All-around, listen to a lot of genres

>Past headphones
Skullcandy Crusher, Logitech 930, Logitech 35, + other cheapshit

In-ears not fullsized. I was confused.

Soundstage: stupid term to indicate sound positioning which is mainly dependent on frequency response.

V-shaped: enhanced low frequencies and high frequencies at the expense of mid freqeuncies (examples: Beyerdynamics' closed and open headphones).

Warm: overall balanced sound leaning with slight enhancement in low frequencies (examples: most of Sennheiser's open headphones).

Bright/cold: overall balanced sound with slight enhancement in high frequencies (examples: most of AKG open headphones).

If tube amps improve soundstage, does it go to say that they are better for gaming?

Only if you burn them in for 500 hours with transexual healing pink noise in FLAC format.

thanks for the explanation user

Is imaging and soundstage the same?

Does "burning in" headphones have a scientific explanation or is it just experience based and/or bullshit

Budget
200€ Max. (Little flexible for big sales)
>Location
Belgium
>Source
Smartphone (pref. Bluetooth)
>Type of headphone
Full, over ear.
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Just something thatvdon't hurt mah ears
>Sound signature
Warm
>Past headphones
Gamergarbage + Cheap sennheisers. Really like the sennheisers but looking for a decent pair.

Imaging usually stands for accurate separation of different instruments and voices in a music track. Again, it's another term that audiophiles created but like sound stage it doesn't mean much. Both imaging and sound stage rely on the frequency response of a headphone.
Large sound stage is usually due to enhanced high frequencies, whereas a good imaging is usually due to a balanced sound.

my dt150's cord is comically long

placebo

> Go on /r/headphones
> Find some thread
> Oh man I'm super excited to review my new pair of headphones but they're in my burn-in station right now. Will have to wait until the weekend when they're done
Believing in burn in is literal mental retardation.

is there any hack/mod to make undetachable headphone cables a bit sturdier at both sides (the headphone and the jack side) those are usually the parts where the cable starts to get fucked after time

Something something drivers have an easier time moving.
As far as sound is concerned, no, it doesn't change shit at all, and if it did, a miniscule amount at most. There was an attempt to measure burn in with a K701 (?) and the differences could be chalked up to other factors such as the wear of the earpad.

I can't really see it being anything other than buyers remorse
>these $500 headphones are okay
>it might be better after a while
>wow these headphones really opened up

not only that, but there was this hilarious moment when someone on /hpg/ came to complain saying burn in ruined his headphones and they sound way worse after.
However he also stated that that ended after like a day.
So he went in thinking it would do nothing or make it worse, and when it "did", he came to complain about it like he wanted to. After which people who still believed in burning in told him it's a permanent change.

Man burning in is a magical thing

what are some great albums for enjoyig my gear?
looking for vocal stuff with instruments
i've been listening to some norah jones stuff recently
looking for similar stuff

I recommend a fine collection of touhou tracks.

>what music should I listen to
congratulations, you said one of the most retarded things we hear a lot

> Using music to listen to headphones instead of using headphones to listen o music
Just end your life desu

ALiCE'S EMOTiON, my dude.

Donald Fagen - The Nightlfy
Steely Dan - any album really

Listening to your favourite tracks is the best recommendation though.

>Budget
$300
>Location
USA
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
I don't want any headphones that would get soaked in my sweat during the summer
>Sound signature
Warm
>Past headphones
None or really shit headphones

Might as well go full meme and unironically listen to IOSYS.

youtube.com/watch?v=BsBgCYL9Dn8

PM3 is what you want but can't afford
beyond that I don't know of any other good bassy closed headphones in that range

Thanks for the useless recommendation, retard

M20x/M30x are pretty budget tier. No idea how they measure. M40x are neutral. M50x are V-shaped. Pick whatever you want. Both have similar raw quality. All M?0X line headphones have shit stock pads.

I've had my superlux hd681 since 2008 and they have outlived all other headphones I've had. The sound isnt half bad either.

Fuck you guys.

>using ATH-AD700 for years
>h-hey I want to upgrade just like all the cool senpais at /hpg/!
>buy shit stack 2
>buy HD600
>shit stack doesn't make the sound any better than my ancient STX but there's audible noise
>HD600 sounds like there's a bag of sand between the drivers and my ears, they're also extremely uncomfortable, poorly build and feel like some cheap chink shit, do americans really pay 500$ for this garbage?
>return HD600 and get HE-400i
>they feel like they're going to break in two in my hands any moment now
>sound is just unnatural and unpleasant all around
>return HE-400i and get X2
>wow those are actually comfy and seem to be decently build
>they sound exactly the same as my old ATH-AD700 except there's bass
>not bad, but was this really worth 250 bucks?
>remember that I've got HD 201 lying somewhere
>find and put them on
>wow they actually sound pretty good
>mfw they cost 20 bucks now

What the hell, is this hobby just an endless chase for better snake oil?

do you have actuall irl photos?

>do americans really pay 500$ for this garbage
No, they don't. $350 at most, usually less.

>What the hell, is this hobby just an endless chase for better snake oil?
pretty much.

>use shit like superlux hd 681 evo and m20x for the longest time
>lets upgrade to dt 770 pro and see what the fuss is about
>can hear less details and gets me killed all the time in csgo
ayy fuck you all im sticking with my sub $50 headphones.

EQ them. 681 are bright as fuck and I can only assume the M20x arent bass heavy. Low end muddies up the sound. Just EQ out the low end and youll be fine.

it's not useless, you can decide to save up another 100 and get what you want
also if I didn't reply in a few hours you'd probably feel ignored and quote yourself asking for help thinking nobody read it

In defense of "retard", PM3 does go on sale around 300 from time to time.
More suited to your price point are the NAD HP50 and PSB M4U1. The Beyer Custom One Pro sort of fits as well.

>incredibly revealing
>lack coloration
Lacking coloration is a prerequisite for being revealing. It is also the primary requirement, as it would happen.
>Gearslutz says HD800s are too colored
It is colored, but do you already have the HD800? It's not like you just have to sit there and live with the coloration.

MSR7 is about right.

>Just bought a pair of Shure SE215s
>£75
Did I get chinked and overspend or am I good?

>buy those monoprice headphones for $25
>they are really nice
>but the earpads cause actual pain after extended use of multiple hours consecutively (note that I mean actual pain, not just discomfort)
>think of replacing the pads with hm5 brainwavs like I was recommended here
>realize that I am going to end up spending near $60 on this and could have just bought a pair of sony headphones

what do

are 6XX going to be sold anytime soon again?

>tfw you feel like your grandpa in 1970

this isn't csg

You're right it's /hpg/

you would also have to buy new pads for the sony. So you better buy an m40x for 90 usd. But then you'll have to buy replacementpads again. Cant win.

what is the TL;DR?.

for external DAC? maybe the fiio k1, its better than onboard on a laptop

I'm fucking stupid. I've had a Focusrite Saffire 6 for something like 7 years, and I never tried turning the Mixer knob past center until today. I didn't think it would have any effect when not recording... It turns out that the headphone port (probably the monitor output too) becomes cleaner and louder when you crank the Mixer knob to the right.

Gonna sell all of my audio equipment now. I don't deserve it. holy fuggggg

Etymotic hf5

realize most sony headphones are shit and if you would have bought a 60-80$ pair of headphones most likely you'd have had to buy new pads regardless as well

>On this forum they keep calling me Da Bian (poopoo in Chinese)

- Fang, CEO of ChinkFiMan

M40x are nuetral? I looked ad FR and looked more like a cheap fidelio X2

Go ahead and post both frequency responses please.

SOMEONE SELL ME THEIR FIIO E10K FUCK I DONT WANNA HAVE TO USE ANOTHER FUCKING $70 JUST TO MAKE MY HEADPHONES BETTER REEEEEEEEEEE

yeah that's neutral with pretty bad rolled off bass

what headphones do you use?
for more headphones, it won't make them sound better

Youre comparing two entirely different measurement sources. You have to be fucking retarded to think that is ever going to work. Come back with the same source please.

Both rtings and innerfidelity have their own compensation curves, along with difference in positioning, microphones and a billion other factors.

dt770 250 ohm