Let's talk about encoding, Sup Forums.

What kind of videos do you encode?
What's your favourite encoder?
What settings do you use?
Why are you encoding?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cI-a4WZWwZc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Waiting for a good solution for AV1 encodes. All of my shit is x264 VBR placebo.

What makes you say it's a placebo?

Is that One Punch Man

A short cosplay of him.

some finnish guy who ruined animays

He's Daiz, the man who single-handedly killed fansubing in 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015.

Dude what the actual fuck? Are we the hivemindnow?

Who's this semen demon?

What the best way to downscale an upscaled source?

Yes.

Encoding some gameplay for /vg/, using ffmpeg and libvpx. This is definitely not my favorite encoder; I don't think I've seen blocking artifacts and motion encoding this bad since early XviD, and I think even that was better at allocating some damn bits to maintain a certain inter-frame consistency. At lower rates it seems almost impossible to avoid this pattern where the image (even the parts that barely change) becomes progressively more blurry and/or blocky and then suddenly changes a lot when there's an I-frame/keyframe/whatever.

It's also horribly slow. I don't know how Google can afford to encode YouTube videos into this shit. Custom hardware encoders?

I don't know what Google was smoking when they bought On2 desu. Maybe they just wanted them for their precedent of mostly avoiding patent threats, because I'm pretty sure they have never produced a good video encoder.

>It's also horribly slow.
One of the reasons why I wish Sup Forums supported h.264 MP4 uploads instead.

I have no clue why, literally everything can play it in hardware

Really. I just tried running the same encode with -preset veryslow and x264 instead of VP8 and it actually encoded faster while looking like it suddenly had twice the bitrate or something (it did not, file size was about the same).

The block artifacts really kill VP8. Is the format just that bad at gradients / motion / deblocking or is the encoder just hopelessly bad at RDO?

royalties

That's a setting for the x264 encoder, something like -crf 0 is referred to as "placebo"

wat

sauce

how?

i can rip, encode, and upload to nyaa with whatever settings i want

This needs to be updated with successful assassination of Coalgirls

Waiting for AV1 too. Let HEVC die and Babbylake will become obsolete overnight.

same

I VBR 2000kbps x264 and aac 160kbps in handbrake all my videos

it just werks

>bloatgirls
Nothing of value was lost.

Fuck you daiz. Your autistic naming standards for manga are not only shit but are also visually ugly with no capitalization.

To make it worse. Madokami follows it as well.

Fuck off, daiz.

AV1 is slow as fuck atm as in 5 frames per minute. It's not properly multithreaded, same goes for decode. This shit would need at least 3 years to get going into mainstream

>That's Daiz' revenge against the world for going bald
He shouldn't have fapped so much to fakku shit though

hevc has great performance in the newest intel cpu's

2.4% cpu usage on a 120mbit 10bit 4k hevcs video file:

youtube.com/watch?v=cI-a4WZWwZc

Indeed, there is no reason not to use HEVC until AV1 matures. Even hardware encoded HEVC files pretty much acceptable.

>Daiz is real and not a terrible forced meme

Wait what? Is coalgirls kill?

Even with the bloated filesizes they were always a nice place where to get high quality rips with good subs. It's a shame.

>It’s about time to be straight – I don’t see myself returning to vigorous fansubbing again. Simply put, my interests have sort of just changed over the past 9 (!) years. I’d rather write, game, and work than continue to sub.

perhaps he's talking about the "placebo" preset for the x264 encoder?

when encoding animated material with x264, should trellis be 0 or 2?

hmm...

REMUX all the way

>measuring CPU usage of hardware decoding
why?

That's Daiz. He killed Franz Ferdinand and singlehandedly caused World War I.

"Hardware decoding" doesn't always mean eating raw bitstream and shitting frames; some older acceleration frameworks only took care of a few parts of the codec.

2.4% with a stream like that means the CPU has really good support for the codec and even its slower models should have no problems with HEVC video (long as it stays within the hardware decoder's supported profile, anyways).

Can someone redpill me on HorribleSubs. I use them because of how easy/convenient they make downloading shows with perfectly acceptable quality (most of the time).

You hit he nail on the head, most of the time cr/hs is perfectly acceptable, and considering fansubbing is dead, it's a lot of the times the only option.
Occasionally however, crunchyroll's encodes are absolute dogshit (see Keijo) so you have to use an alternative.

I usually just leave it at 1, I haven't noticed any major benefit for turning it on (2).