Is high refresh rate gaming a meme?

Is high refresh rate gaming a meme?

I have been thinking about ditching my U2515H for a 144 hz IPS monitor.

I'm just afraid I'm gonna end up spending a buttload of cash on something that isn't all that different from 60 hz gaming.

Other urls found in this thread:

overclock.net/t/1605507/samsung-monitors-of-2016-introduced-curved-high-resolution-gaming-flat-and-business-monitor-help-me-understand-125-srgb-and-quantum-dot/2620
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have an U2715H
I have tried a 144 hz TN monitor once.
The fluidness is amazing, the difference is huge. The TN panel was fucking awful though and couldn't stand it after using IPS for years
There are expensive 144 hz IPS monitors on the market but I don't know if their color and image quality matches my current monitor, I wouldnt give up those for the 144 hz

>isn't all that different from 60 hz gaming
It's completely different.
However, you get used to it after 2 days, and it feels like 60hz again.

However you will not be able to go back to 60hz ever again.

I want the dell S2716DG but it's still too expensive

No it's not a meme but the state of GPUs right now means it's kinda difficult to drive games at that refresh rate. For that reason it's a waste of time IMO to go 144 Hz without GSync or FreeSync.

Unfortunately there are only two monitors that are 1440p @ 144 Hz, and have both FreeSync support and IPS panels: the Asus MG279Q and the Acer XF270HU. You'd need a 390X or Fury (X) to drive either one.

Not sure about how many GSync versions exist but on that side you could make do with a GTX 980 (TI) or a GTX 1070 if buying new.

You need to get the frame rate for it to matter, if you have a 144hz panel and get only 60fps it's going to be the same shit

But you'll have a really smooth mouse cursor.

You should be able to play most games at 144fps.

Now, if we're talking max settings/max resolution at 144fps, then hell no. Will probably need 2x 1080's

OP here, I'm using an oc'd aftermarket 980ti so I should be able to hit 100+ hz on most games with high settings.

Do freesync and nvidia gpus not mix?

No,they don't.

Of course, I just mean with High settings. Right now my R9 270 gets me 60 fps in all the games I play at 1080p using High or better settings. To get anywhere near 144 Hz at 1440p with similar settings I'd definitely need a 390X or Fury (X).

No, which is why I refuse to buy any nVidia GPUs until they do. Shame because I've almost always had nVidia GPUs.

>Is high refresh rate gaming a meme?
Yes

No matter how fast you make it, it is still rendered frame per frame, a collection of choppy still pictures.

Higher frame rates are just a workaround to apparent fluidity, and a rather wasteful one at that. (Considering masterpieces of cinematography look just fine at goddamn 24fps)

The real answer to smooth gaming, or 3d rendering if you will, lies elsewhere.

~20 fps is the minimum required to trick the eye into thinking it is seeing "video" as opposed to a sequence of still images. However, the difference in smoothness of 50-60 fps compared to 24-30 fps is obvious to anyone. The BBC produced a white paper years ago explaining that high refresh rates increased people's perception of video quality more than increasing resolution beyond 2160p. They tested at least up to 100 fps.

144hz is fucking god tier.

gsync is important because most games are shit at maintaining stable frame rates though.

>considering masterpieces of cinematography look just fine at goddamn 24fps)
No, they're all choppy pieces of shit, and I hate them for not getting at least 60 fps.

Needing to crank out 144 renders every second is pretty wasteful even from that point of view.

Besides I was just pointing out that there is more work to be done on other fronts such as mimicking a capture of a real moving object in 3d rendering techniques.
I am not aware of what is being done in these areas at the moment but by seeing this 144hz stuff going on I'd guess not much?
Is say motion blur still not much further than what 3Dfx pioneered in the previous millennium? Other techniques that I'm not aware of?

>ditching an Ultrasharp IPS for pleb TN
No, OP, you don't need that 144fps for Overwatch.

You're a fucking retard. Artificial (game rendered, not your own eye one obviously) motionblur is aids. And the difference between 60 and 120hz is huge (for the better).

>get 144hz over xmas
>went from 6/10 aim to 8/10 aim in 2 days

Shit felt like sex the first time I played Overwatch on it. You see more.

The main question is do you primarily play multiplayer or single player games. If you're playing single player colors are probably going to be more important to you. You're not going to notice a huge difference and if you do you'll get used to it very quickly. If you play multiplayer games your colors are going to suck but you'll notice your reaction time increase substantially. Really its a lateral move.

Even better is when you turn on vsync or windowed mode in game the penalty is nonexistent

What shitty pcs do you have? I hit over 200fps in Doom with a single gtx1070, maxxxed out.

I can't play with 60 fps in competitive games. I need 100+ fps.

And yes, you notice the difference a lot.

That being said, once you go above 60 hz you won't be able to go back (in shooters. In everything else it doesn't matter).

So your answer would be
Yes, nothing substantial is being done to improve that at the moment

???

You do realize that there is a substantial difference between an identical motion scene that is shot and one that is rendered.
That difference is one of the spices in the secret recipe of making a shit look real on the screen.
>Hurr-durr current motion blur is crap so lets disregard that aspect entirely and hit it with MAD FPS

>gaming at 720p
>shiggy

The main problem is that most games over do it with motion blur effects anyway, so what you see in the promotion picture you posted of the 60Hz is what it will look like on the 144Hz as well.

144Hz is only a meme if you ditch an already good monitor for it. It's not worth replacing a good monitor for, but when you are looking to upgrade anyway then consider it.

You can shut off motion blur in pretty much any title I have played over the last years

It doesn't need to be off, it just needs to be at a realistic level.

Take StarCitizen as an example (which doesn't have an option in menu to turn off the motion blur), turn a little bit and your entire view field blurs. It's just awful.

i want 1080p 144hz ips gsync

I'm gonna wait till the end of the year when the first gen gsync panels start coming down in price before I upgrade.

I just can't justify dropping like 700 bucks to game at 144hz instead of 60hz.

Does Freesync monitors not work with nvidia gpu at all? Or is it just the Freesync functionality that doesn't work?

I hit over 6000+ fps on URU ages beyond myst with a single gtx960 maxxxed out

at 21 inch right

it's no meme. you will notice the difference even outside of games.

this
using 60hz monitors is awful now

u retarded?

it's an option like motion blur reduction so it may or may not work for both obviously

The penalty is still there, the input lag doesn't go away.

anyone tried Samsungs VA 144Hz screens?
>1ms
>VA Panel
>Freesync 144Hz
>quantum dot

Samsung C24FG70FQU

it's not worth it without hdr support

>curved
dropped

Its a TN panel though. I heard its still good with the colors though.

>good with the colors
If you don't ever move your head from dead center that is

Well that really depends. A surprising number of older games either feature framerate locks (IdTech engine games using 5 downwards are capped at 60FPS) or have scripts tied to framerate, despite the engine supporting uncapped framerate (PS2 GTA games are great examples, logic is designed to run at 30FPS and will break to varying degrees in each of the games). Not to mention the Japanese are starting to put their decades old console scraps on Steam, which are often frame locked at their console framerate (usually 30FPS, sometimes 60). So that leaves you with very few games that will take advantage of a higher refresh rate.

wtf? it never feels like 60hz again it always is smooth

It is not a meme, but you currently have to choose between 4K or >60Hz.

^ Depending on the type of games you play 4K might be the better option.

Film and rendered video are very different in terms of framerates

film at 24fps is actually a collection of short exposures, each for 1/24th of a second. So they include motion blur and exposure changes etc. that occur smoothly throughout the film. However rendered video is a collection of freeze-frames, each one individually very sharp, so it's like playing back a very very fast exposure (1/10,000 of a second for example) 24 times a second - if you did this with real film it'd look jerky and unpleasant just like 24fps gaming.

So to make up the difference developers either increase the framerate to reduce the jerkiness, or add in motion blur effects, which do help to smooth the motion but because they're a postprocessing technique they're not the same as real film motion blur and it doesn't look perfect.

If you were after "smooth gaming" as you put it, you'd need to get the brain to fill in the picture in much the same way as it does for eyesight - because when you see with your eyes there's lots of jerkiness and missed frames (from saccades) that the brain fills in. VR can help with that sometimes as the immersive 360 video can trick the brain in the same way, however obviously tech isn't good enough yet and the resolution and framerates are still noticeably lower than your own vision.

you can disable motion blur in star citizen by typing r_MotionBlur=0 into the console

at least you could in 2.5, not sure if that still works in 2.6

This is exactly why i won't go past 60Hz. I recognize moments where higher framerates would be beneficial because I can't quite make out some details while the camera position is changing (especially bad in racing or shooting games), but they don't feel "bad" because I've been playing at 60 my whole life.

I don't want 60 to become unbearable like all these 144hz memesters are constantly telling me it is. That's too massive a caveat when you can't guarantee that every game will run at those framerates, no matter how good your system, due to some developers' incapabilities.

that where freesync/g sync comes in.

You realize that film captures blur which tricks the eye's into thinking there's fluid movement. A computer renders everything damn near perfectly, so there's no natural blur to "trick" the brain. You need to render alot more frames before a similar natural blur effect takes place.

I had a 144Hz panel after using 60hz my entire life,
The difference was huge. had to return it because of a manufacturing flaw, but I'm definitely ordering a new one.

Yes, it's one of the best options out there
HOWEVER, it has a ton of manufacturing flaws.
Skip to about page 150 or so and just fly over the posts there: overclock.net/t/1605507/samsung-monitors-of-2016-introduced-curved-high-resolution-gaming-flat-and-business-monitor-help-me-understand-125-srgb-and-quantum-dot/2620

Kind of. I have a 165hz monitor with Gsync. It also has ULMB that you can use at 120hz.
The ULMB is smoother in the ufo test than 165hz. So, I guess it depends on your monitors features.

>eye can only see 24.96 fps
>people on Sup Forums suddenly claim they can't go back to 60hz after 144

get memed, retards

It's great even for everyday desktop tasks. Seeing that smooth a cursor feels good.

modern motion blur shaders, which store per-pixel X-Y screen-space velocities for moving objects and can infer it for static geometry, do pretty good jobs of imitating the effect properly at a wide range of framerates.

/thread.

Strobing kicks the shit out of everything else and matter probably more than even a 1.5x frequency boost.

The only caveat is that the frequency has to be high enough (> 100 in general) to avoid flicker-induced migraines.

I bought an asus vg248qe recently and I'm never using 60hz again... as a main monitor at least. My old monitor serves as a second monitor, but I don't play on it.

Honestly the biggest meme is 60 fps. I've played on over 100 fps for years now and the responsiveness itself is worth it. If you have a 60hz monitor and don't use any *sync you should definitely push your fps as high as possible because it will play smoother as it reduces tearing and input lag to a very noticeable degree. Resolution and 60 fps are cancerous memes. I'd take 200 fps, 144 hz refresh and 1080p (even 720p for sake of performance) any day over 60fps on a 60hz monitor at 4k resolution.

Better question, is gsync a meme?
My friend recently ordered a 1080p60hz gsync monitor and accidentally bought two and is offering me one of them.
Will I actually notice any difference if I have a 1060 and will be over 60fps for most games anyways?

eh, late reply, but i'm giving it a go. I'd prefer if movies had higher framerates. Case in point, watch a yt video filmed by a camera at 60 fps and then the same video at the standard, which I believe is 30 fps. The 60 fps is smoother by a lot. I was watching some video where a guy was just talking and moving his arms around. Won't name the channel so it doesn't seem I'm advertising, but basically, yeah, 60 fps was way smoother. Try it out.
Same would work for movies. We're just used to 24 fps in them.

gsync adds someting like 10ms of input lag which you won't nouce. Brute forcing fps is better, however gsync will generally make the game smoother if you can't get like 300 fps as it eliminates tearing. The way it works is that it will sync your refresh rate to your fps, so for it to work, you will need to cap your fps to something like 142. If you get more, gsync will turn off.

So yeah, take the monitor. You will notice the difference once you nove your mouse and look at the cursor on desktop for the first time.

oh wait 60 hz lol. I'd rather get a 144 hz monitor without gsync

There's way more than two 144hz 1440p monitors. My asus pg278q, the first one available has it. So does the pg279q. Stop spreading lies.

>playing games

If your over the age of 18 and you play games, just fucking kill yourself now. It's nothing but a waste of time.

for slow games, yes
for fast paced games, no

sure well 23-26 inches i guess

I'm very confused by what's going on in this image.

It could be a meme. Depends on the games you play and how powerful your pc is. I only really have use for the 144hz refresh rate in csgo, overwatch and osu. Everything else is locked to 60fps by the devs (souls games e.g.) or it doesn't run much above 60 anyway.
Get a 144hz if you play fps games, is a good rule of the thumb

It's a test for "ghosting". Sharper image is better. Google about ghosting in monitors if you want to know more.

quality post

FreeSync flicker has been fixed in later models purple trails is case sensitive. Beats IPS flaws imo.

t. owner

so you have some novel game engine and display that renders things completely differently than all modern conputers? I would love to hear about it. is it open source?

>tfw at 1440p at "movie settings" that come with a warning not to use movie settings for gameplay due to crashing
>tfw 300fps

Does it automatically interpolate in-between frames on the fly when fps is low or something?

>Does it automatically interpolate in-between frames on the fly when fps is low or something?
it synchronises screen refresh rate down to the FPS actually needed, if it's lower than the screen's maximum, iirc

Video games are how I met the mother of my children

No it isn't. The difference is astounding. Don't listen to the shills here. Probably they've never used one.

But that wouldn't stop 60fps from feeling unbearably low, or make games run at higher framerates like that previous post brought up as a problem

It does stop them from feeling unbearably low, it removes the problem of tearing and significantly reduces stuttering
But yeah, it doesn't give you fps, it just makes non-matched fps okay
Vsync matches hz or a multiple of Hz but only works at max hz or half Hz, gsync is vsync but at every single fps level

100% difference. people say you cant percieve more than 60hz, and they are flat out wrong. a higher framerate means more stills and less motion blur conmpensating for the fact that your eyes framerate and the typical 60hz monitor ar enot, in any way, in sync.

It's only a meme if don't have a GPU that can push 144fps on most games that you play. If you have anything less than a GTX 970, don't bother.

>reading comprehension

My 960 pushes over 80 in most games at medium to high settings at 1440p on my 100Hz and even that's worthwhile, I'd argue it's still worth it just for future GPU upgrades even still.

they use a pursuit camera to track a moving image.

a strobed backlight makes a sharp image.
constant backlight levels cause smear along the axis of motion as a camera/your eye tracks an object.
slow pixel transitions cause a secondary "ghost" image behind the main.
"overdrive" overshooting can make the trailing ghosts inverted colors.

>silver 3 League Of Legends
>inherit my uncles 144 Hz
>Game feels more fluid
>now, I dodge enemy skill shot abilities like a Korean
> Play on my laptop to confirm results
>now in gold 4 promos

Meme? You tell me OP