/cyb/ - The Cyberpunk General

"I'm In" Edition

These threads are for discussion of all things Cyberpunk, from movies, TV, websites, games, and even current events.
Related topics range from fashion, to personal security and anonymity, to alternative and creative hardware, and much more.

>What is cyberpunk?
Cyberpunk is a genre of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology.

>>> Resources Old Pasta

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/q2AnW0rT
stefangagne.com/twoflower/fwls/
streettech.com/bcp/BCPgraf/
activewirehead.com/diy-wearables-head-mounted-displays/
romanticallyapocalyptic.com/archives
youtu.be/eil_1j72LOA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ce53eICXREc
youtube.com/watch?v=O-fv_KR4bB8
youtube.com/watch?v=J_WozJvfYwM
youtube.com/watch?v=Y-xEQeuxn7M
youtube.com/watch?v=XXVO1HCNQ8M
youtube.com/watch?v=hRwU9zJcT60
youtube.com/watch?v=APOAmxFEMkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=XTqnzsRg_0E
csdl.tamu.edu/~erich/cheaptruth/
youtube.com/watch?v=t22wRrEW14A
shells.red-pill.eu/
bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08bcc18/storyville-zero-day-nuclear-cyber-sabotage
youtube.com/watch?v=ESaTREAAzww
driveradio.be/radioplayer/
websdr.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=RWjBPIbJMzY
pastebin.com/9uYXMhVm
fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/changelog
literotica.com/s/for-all-you-cyberpunks
servalproject.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for cyberpunk is now.

second for cyberpunk is dead

Cyberpunk is less about the technology and more about the dystopian future. Computers and tech just happens to be the setting.

I was into it in my teens, but I've since realized that kind of future is never coming because the world doesn't work that way. It's much easier to have 3 people in a room lie about something than it is to orchestrate some clandestine server infiltration(which was probably made possible by some dumbass responding to a phishing e-mail instead of some guy in an alley way jacked into an ethernet port fed to a garbage can).

We're too schway to fall for your lies, sinister megacorp shill

I'm one of the "we're living in it now camp" but with a lot less neon lights and seedy back alleys.

I'm into making my own tech that either doesn't connect to the net, or if it does making it without backdoored parts.

>tfw your too old and irrelevant to care
Enjoy the future- we built it.... 4U

Old tech is the way to go. Anything produced before ~2005 won't be affected by planned obsolescence as badly

Old tech that still works is by definition reliable. The power bill for that pic must be immense.

I'd like a HP Superdome for a server, it has that megacorp look to it.

>pastebin.com/q2AnW0rT
Is that the list of things updated with all the contributions the last few months??

Yeah, those are the recent ones. I'm planning to make separate pastes based on category. I hope to do that today, if I'm not busy.

That looks like Gilfoyle's Bitcoin mining rig

Yeah, we were on usch a good way to having a totalitarian dystopian future. But Trump had to come and make America great again.

Or only hope right now is that we have a re election and Soros sponsored Hillary and the Corrupt DNC can continue destroying the world.

Is a live usb of tails with vpn, tor, vpn at a public wifi the best way to be user right now?

Would using it repeatedly on my own eeepc on public wifi defeat the purpose?

have you not been following obabo's setup for no privacy allowed?

Using a vpn is equivilentto having a warrantto search your shit now, and nsa just turned over all their raw data to the rest of govt

OK, there is a lot more to add, I have contributed a fair bit over the last few months.

There are still gaping holes, like literature. You could subdivide that into periods like
pre-cp: bester, Brunner etc
Golden age: Sterling, Gibson, Shirley etc
Silver age: Neal Stephenson
Bronze age: Richard Morgan etc

BTW the Cyberpunk entries on Wackypedia is pretty dire. I used to contribute but these days the politics just isn't worth it.

Got it. Any other categories?

Not everyone lives in the US you know.

Have you read "Hack the Spew?" It kind of deals with that scenario.

More CP humor: A Future We'd Like to See: stefangagne.com/twoflower/fwls/
It won a competition quite a few years ago.

Make a 2D plot
X axis is era (golden age etc.)
Y-axis is main style (noir, militaristic (Kadrey), psychedelic (Jeff Noon with Vurt), horror (Shirley), etc.

I remember someone wrote that Charles Dickens was proto-cyberpunk since he dealt with the ugly underside of British industrialisation.

Also "Cheap Truth" is a definite must to read, it is what got the "movement" underway before it got the label Cyberpunk.

When you say "2D", you mean this, right?

A large collection of older resources: streettech.com/bcp/BCPgraf/
There used to be a lot of zines, I have one issue of CNS but these are really, really hard to find these days.

Yup, that's right. Will look a lot cooler than just a list.

Gotta go now, back in 6 hours,. Hope /CYB/ remains then.

The first Watch Dogs wasn't strictly cyberpunk, but it dealt heavily with privacy, which I admire.

I was just bumping the thread, user.

Sup Forums is garbage.

Fuck off.

>playing pseudo intellectual games portraying a cancer mainstream view of le hagging culdujre
I suggest you follow the advice you're giving me

Who is running a open i2p hotspot?
Was thinking to start running one just need a AP.

activewirehead.com/diy-wearables-head-mounted-displays/

Looks like the thread is dying. I'll work on the pastebin stuff tonight if I can't sleep. Or tomorrow when I get bored.

Night, /cyb/.

goodnight.

you guys really ought to consider changing the name of your thread. maybe it's just me but cyb makes me think of cybering/cybersex which is apparently not what you guys are discussing. just thought I'd toss that out there

Hello darkness my old friend.

noice, I somewhat remember this comic, post more

romanticallyapocalyptic.com/archives

Does anybody have that article talking about why people should care about keeping their browsing history safe from businesses?

I remember reading it here, but I can't find it in the Sup Forums or /cyb/ pastebins

youtu.be/eil_1j72LOA
The Julian Assange show is essential. Heres a good example episode. Well worth you time.

Meant to quote OP.

I was reading the cyberpunk manifesto and lurking some threads in /cyber/ and it ocurred to me....
Shouldn't there be some sort of cyberpunk philosophy? I mean something like a set of values as to what would be cyberpunk. Not really a guideline, but more like putting together the ideas of the community of what is cyberpunk, what includes it, what excludes it, what doesn't matter.
You know these threads where newbies come and ask "how to be a cyberpunk", asking about aesthetics, OS, programming, soldering, political stances, and so on.
Some sort of document with a few opinions that we can mostly agree on about what can be cyberpunk. For example, it would include stuff as to cryptography and ditching the corps (M$), and also stuff like in pic related.

Shall we?

(OP)
>IRC
when will the irc come back, the rizon channel hasnt existed in any real capacity for years, in fact, its not even on rizon's channel list at all at the moment

I agree, that's why I've been posting videos to the cyberpunk manifesto and related material

CPEU2 - Cyberpunk. From fiction to fact youtube.com/watch?v=Ce53eICXREc

Cyberpunk Animation youtube.com/watch?v=O-fv_KR4bB8

Cyberpunk-Visions of Future youtube.com/watch?v=J_WozJvfYwM

The Cyberpunk Manifesto youtube.com/watch?v=Y-xEQeuxn7M

TUN Cyberpunk is back youtube.com/watch?v=XXVO1HCNQ8M

Cyberpunk (1990) [Full documentary in high quality] youtube.com/watch?v=hRwU9zJcT60

27c3: Cybernetics for the Masses youtube.com/watch?v=APOAmxFEMkQ

The Cyberpunk Educator youtube.com/watch?v=XTqnzsRg_0E

I vote there should be a lot of postmodernism in it.

I'm a big fan of fake reality.

The Cyberpunk Educator, in short, express ideas from deep, representing what a cyberpunk in fiction is from the perspective of mostly 80's movies.

>Assange
He was active on a cypherpunk list back in the day and he lives up to it's philosophy pretty well.

Invented crypto scheme
Makes information free
Has stuck it to several different versions of The Man
Persecuted by governments and corporations

I mean, if the ecadorian embassy were a low-earth orbit data sanctuary then it would be perfect.

Ummm... okay.

Cheap Truth is here: csdl.tamu.edu/~erich/cheaptruth/

That is a text only version. I have never seen the graphical version though it should be out there.

i need some website ideas
i want to make something interesting

i don't have any ideas, but i believe in you user

>Suggestions
There is also the Japanese side
anime/mange: GItS, Yokohama Kaidasho Kikou
movie: Rubber's Lover, 864 Pinoccio, Tetsuo the Iron Man

From proto-cyberpunk movies the number one movie is indubitably Blade Runner. It hit the mark to precisely that Wm Gibson ran out of the cinema, thinking his entire novel was anticipated by the movie.

Have you added the Usenet News newsgroups?
The news:alt.cyberpunk groups and the news:alt.cyberpunk.* has some sporadic traffic and is a gold mine of stuff.

Also, anyone found the FutureCulture archive? That was a hurricane of a mailing list, 400 messages - on a quiet day.

Add to anime Cowboy Bebop, Metropolis (2001 animated film), and perhaps Patlabor.

As for movies Æon Flux (2005), Enemy of the State (1998), Johnny Mnemonic (1995), Nirvana (1997), WarGames: The Dead Code (2008), and the RoboCop movies.

Cyberpunk clothing?
youtube.com/watch?v=t22wRrEW14A

Usenet is harsh for newbies user, does it worth it? Having to pay and the difficult it is to set a client takes away the attractiveness.

If only a free account existed.

There is one in freenode, not sure how is related.

Just use eternal September or something if you don't want to/can't pay

there's not a long list of games which deserve oblivion along with every single person involved and I'm sure Watchdoggies is near the top. It's pathetic how they got something and repackaged it for mainstream consuming trying to pass it as cyberpunk or hacker culture. It's a poor man GTA V with no story and lame game mechanics that turns into a really boring grind fest of doing the same shit over and over and over in a dull world where everything looks the same.
Feel fucking ashamed for even installing this shit.

what is this? At work right now, so can't look into this

seconding this question

Good stuff there, user.

That reminds me that the classic Metropolis (1927) is also proto-cyberpunk.

anyone else think /pol is very cyb?

>Usenet is harsh for newbies user, does it worth it?
Well, Sup Forums isn't roses only. Usenet News has a strong academic tradition combined with openness for pseudonymous posters and anonymity. In my experience on Usenet, as long as your post is worth a few minutes it takes to read it, you will be OK. If on the other hand people ask for their five minutes back you should take the hint.

>Having to pay and the difficult it is to set a client takes away the attractiveness.
The news clients are user friendly, just choosy about who the friends are. With "trn" it is sufficiently user friendly. Keep in mind that posting was heavy and in order to drink from the fire hose you need a study tool. And trn is such a tool: powerful, configurable, efficient and unforgiving.

>If only a free account existed.
First open a free shell account: shells.red-pill.eu/
SDR and Nyx,net are good. These normally have Usenet News access. Nyx has a strong tradition for openness and defends anonymity and has faced Secret Service. Seriously.

in the same way all of Sup Forums is
we're never going mainstream
everyone knows, almost no cares, just like death metal

Cheap Truth was a Zine made by Bruce Sterling et al, all pseudonymous so we don't know all the names. Basically they were sniping the the established SciFi authors of the day (early 80s), claiming a renewal of a stagnant genre was way overdue. They also promoted their own work, the group at the time was just known as the Movement. Later they were called Cyberpunk.

Originally there was a lot of graphics but the archives are text only.

You could say this is the manifesto for the cyberpunk authors - Stirling, Gibson, Shirley, Shiner, Rucker, and probably a few others (Cadigan perhaps?).

It is quite work safe.

Hoping this thread will be alive when I return tomorrow. Meanwhile, a Cyberpunk interpretation by the inimitable Mike Maihack, or Cyberpink as he calls it. Pic.

>Zero Day: Nuclear Cyber Sabotage
>A Storyville documentary: How the American and Israeli intelligence agencies allegedly unleashed self-replicating computer malware to destroy part of an Iranian nuclear facility.
bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08bcc18/storyville-zero-day-nuclear-cyber-sabotage

Thought I'd share this, it's about Stuxnet; It's discovery by the security industry and how they pieced together what it was designed to do as well as interviews with Washington insiders and NSA/Mossad operatives. Has some pretty cool cyberpunky visuals as well. Hopefully non UK residents can watch it. I have no fucking idea.

britfag here, that's cool it's on the bbc but whatever to them.

You can torrent it also for better viewing pleasure.
Stuxnet is just the beginning we are now at war with cybers.
It's just a free for all at the moment.

Yeah, Stuxnet was like what, 6-7 years ago? Fuck knows what kind of capability they have now. With the Snowden leaks, the DNC hack, Yahoo and other major corporate network compromises, the Internet of Things botnet et al. Just what is in the public domain is pretty scary as it stands, so what is classified but possible and currently on going operations must be even worse. I think it's safe to say, if "they" want access to a computer system, they will have access to that computer system. Going forwards, we live in interesting but terrifying times.

is digital art will survive at /cyb/ age.?

we are in /cyb/ age, senpai
start hoarding all of the digital art you can

word, Sup Forums is anti-cyb

yep that's pretty much why symantec (who happily promote the film on twitter and of course 2 of there researchers are featured in it) have changed from a protection model stance to a not if but when and so are focusing on intrusion discovery and minimizing damage

cant remember where i read about it but most likely twitter.

i think "beyondtrust" believe this too, judging from one of the profs they had do a talk in a recent webinar however that could be perceived as scaremongering and shilling as the second half was about there software but none the less it did look like it would be effective although enterprise level stuff

Bumping with a nice pic. Yersinia, a network vulnerability scanner.

What other unix tools you think are cyberpunk?

>capability they have now
Word on the net is a biological equivalent. Look up "Genetic warfare", say on Wikipedia. Unpleasant stuff to say the least.

Look at retro computing, specifically at this short video youtube.com/watch?v=ESaTREAAzww

It gives a certain feel of purpose, access to all information in a way more open, but more importantly, more structured.

I bet some of the anons lurking this thread are thinking in gopher, usenet, and BBS, as things of the past, but what if that kind of networking can be brought back to do as the internet originally was meant for and share information we really want to?

Forums like Sup Forums can give a top of things, but for longer conversations in a more focused way, exchanging large files, or even text files, are harder to do anonymously.

Maybe this imply a sort of serving all in boilerplates and spoonfeeding the newbie and the casual, but also implies if such services were as easy as to post in Sup Forums they'll get as many people back into this as Sup Forums itself does.

Just consider, sites like facebook actually corrupted modern communications with their cluttered interface and only make easier to the much toxic personalities to succeed. Anonymous filesharing with a spartan interface is in my opinion the cure.

>soldering
I'd be a bit interested in this. Got a circuit board that needs a few capacitors replaced but don't want to do it as my first project so it's been sitting around for a long while.

There should definitely be an entry on cyberpunk technology, especially since CRISPR/Cas9 could change the world as much as the net did in the 80's.

Obvious tech topics are communications including networking and radio, electronics, wiring, navigation, ESR, ECM etc.

i think galaxy express was best cyber punk animation

>2017
>IoT botnet ravages the web creating a constantly moving blackout zone.
>social unrest in the streets and protests force goverments to use state force to supress the population
>massive effort by corp and gov actors is taken to roll out highly restricted network as replacement for the web we know today
>2018
>the last place where resistance could form has been eradicated

Oh god, yes, make these happen.

Cyberpunk diy is our salvation. Imagine what Sup Forums could've been with this instead of what is now.

slurm network monitor?
Anything with ncurses really..

Bumping with sweet retrowave vibes:
driveradio.be/radioplayer/

Yeah, ncurses is going to be my first incursion in programming because damn it looks sexy.

>tfw learning to code just for that

Lots of cool stuff is available, just look at rtl-sdr.com, Adafruit etc. Also Raspberry Pi comes with new hardware regularly. And even if you don't want to make your own receiver, you can always use websdr.org/

what skills are essential for a cyberpunk world

i'm a mathematician, how useful would i be in a post-dystopian dystopia?

Shooting, lockpicking, hacking, electronics, climbing, first aid, unarmed combat. Maths is fucking useless.

cryptography and hacking are math oriented along with some electronics. also some basic first aid requires conversions and do not forget that long distance shooting requires math

Hl2 is my favorite cyb game

Are there any more music videos with cyberpunk through the roof ?
youtube.com/watch?v=RWjBPIbJMzY

Knowledge is power. That is even more true today than when the ancient Greeks made this expression. Thus the ability to gain new knowledge and the insight to actually use this knowledge, will be invaluable.

That does not mean we are talking about the end of the world. Just the job market these days means you should assume a lot of job changes throughout your working life, moreover there will probably be major career changes too for most people. I have changed career 3 times so far in addition to job changes. Without the continuous ability to learn new things I would have ended up in the junk yard of the job market.

thanks user

Speaking of end of world of disaster events, how about radio communication and other ways of communication in dystopian world.

> cryptography
If you're going to reinvent the wheel.
> hacking
Not really. It's either skidding with Metasploit or Assembler if you're going 0day.

For that we have this pasta: pastebin.com/9uYXMhVm

I see that the FSF is re-prioritising, away from pure tech to tech for security: fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/changelog

In Wm Gibson's books not everyone is in the gutters fighting for scraps. Some are movers and shakers, others are executives. Unless we see a societal collapse on the scale of the collapse of the Roman empire, this will remain so. And even if, say, the US were to collapse, skilled people could get work elsewhere, like Japan, Korea, Australia, New Zealand etc.

wow you are incredibly dense and have no idea what either of those fields entail

literotica.com/s/for-all-you-cyberpunks

servalproject.org/
'Simply put, Serval is a telecommunications system comprised of at least two mobile phones that are able to work outside of regular mobile phone tower range due thanks to the Serval App and Serval Mesh. Some of the most exciting benefits of this are:

1. Communicate anytime

2. Communicate anywhere

3. Communicate privately

4.Communicate with people'