Htf does this work Sup Forums?

htf does this work Sup Forums?

Is there really a tiny microntroller in my debit card?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV
wsj.com/articles/costco-names-citi-visa-as-credit-partners-1425302174
capitalone.ca/credit-cards/costco/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_field_communication
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV

If mastercard and visa created the standard then why has it taken so long for it to get adopted?

Probably because there's licensing fees rather than being an open standard

>not using cash

forgot to say thanks user

>he doesn't use AMEX and Diners exclusively

Please kill yourself

>using cash

fucking primitive asshole

i hate fuckers who pay with cash at groceries. you people are the reason why traffic at lineups exist. i hope you get robbed.

>inability to stand in place for a minute
Typical fatty.

New ID cards have a chip. Just ordered a card reader to be able to access government services for no cash.

>AMEX

You're falling for the jew no matter what cred it card you use, might as well use the best one.

>abstract merchant
>is clearly cubist

No, it was adopted quickly years ago in any country that isn't third world (e.g. America)

The chip is a SMART card, like your phone's SIM card. It is a full processor, registers, ROM and all, which allows it to do crypto calculations.

On feature phones you could even run software on them.

>he is okay with inefficiency

typical RETARD

Where does it get power from?

Your fat rolls are quite efficient.

the best cc is visa.

Amex is cuck tier

Chip aren't safe against RFID nor are they safe against malware breaches... what's the fucking point?

>VISA

Poorfag-tier

He's bullshitting. It's entirely passive circuitry.

>convenience for the sake of freedom
Enjoy having everything you buy and when you bought it be tracked across all levels of corporate entities as well as governments. Add this to your mobile data, etc, and you're a walking beacon, all brought on by the ignorance of modern consumerism.

From the device it's pushed into

No

I guess I'll have to get a RFID sleeve to keep my ID in.

>whats the fucking point?

of what? the chip? I guess convenience and uniformity to provide government services saves money on the back office end because they're unifying 4 cards from four departments in one.

If it works as they advertise on the web page that means I can do everything from my computer without having to go to a branch office of either Social Security, IRS and others. I can change my government issued ID address at anytime for no costs, make Dr appointments at NHS and authenticate it with my ID, deal with the IRS without calling them or going to a branch, benefits are huge.

Of course there are always privacy concerns.

>pushed into
>not just tapping

lol this. not to mention it's way faster everywhere else given how much burgers complain that it takes as long as swiping a card

That uses induction instead

>asspained euroniggers grasping for any reason to shit on the greatest country in the world
smfh family

>he thinks is bad

okay i dont give a shit if they know what i buy. its also impossible to hide. stop trying to be cool by living incognito you schizo

>i dont give a shit
Brilliant argument.
>impossible to hide
Measures can be taken, like using cash.

Are we ever going to get to widespread fingerprint-based security readers?

>losing 2% on every purchase

>fingerprint
>security

choose one

Cash
>Hand cash to cahier
>wait
>change and receipt handed
>Y-y-you too

Cards with and without chip
>Insert card or swipe
>wait
>enter pin (or wait even longer for credit to sign)
>wait
>wait
>bloop bleep
>wait
> BEEEEEEEP TAKE CARD OUT
>Cashier looks at you like the fat autist you are because she thinks the transaction from the POS to the customer terminal is instantaneous
>REMOVE CARD SIR!!!!
>wait
>finally you get the message to remove card
> hands receipt to you
> Go home and cry while you eat your tednies
Yeah.... Faster

>brilliant argument
im not trying to convince you to use cc. im just telling you you are stupid

this
pls stay technologically backwards usa
how's your capped internet contract btw ?

America could nuke the entire europe and still have enough nukes to nuke you five times again retard

Everytime i pay with cash le jew merchant smiles because he won't have to pay taxes on it

Can't use Visa at Costco. Only MasterCard.

Visa in Canada is almost always worse than MasterCard and Amex for rewards too.

>hurt durr we'd nuke yo ass yuropoor
Who gives a shit.

You should begin by getting out a map and trying to locate Europe for starters.

wow how backwards and shit is america that you dont have interac flash?

>tfw recently discovering nfc payments through phones

Pretty nice being able to leave my wallet at home at times

>>i dont give a shit
>Brilliant argument.

That wasn't an argument, it was a statement. Stop interpreting everything as a debate. Just deal with the fact that not everyone shares the same insecurities as you, you mongoloid.

Wrong.

This. Also counting out exact change while waiting for multiple cardtards, then handing it over and immediately walk out not waiting for receipt no fucks given.

>I make a point of doing this

I just use android pay.
Shit just werks

I'm not even mad, just amazed. I had no idea people actually used that shit.

dont you need a special case to protect it from some kind of war scanning devices people use?

No, cause you have to first open an app and select a card first

Do people actually use Android Pay? You can't even root your phone last I checked and custom roms are generally no go for you as well. Seems like a waste of time. NFC is a meme anyways like firewire. Going all digital currency seems like a bad idea. Every transaction can be monitored/taxed and recorded. I still use checks and cash or even barter when possible. Cons outweigh the alleged ease of use which isn't always better.

i use a bank app's NFC payment, it uses super shit root detection so i can just get around it. it's pretty easy.

>bad idea
>Every transaction can be monitored/taxed and recorded.
> I still use checks

The only thing I like about mobile bank apps is mobile deposit. That has issues as well where I can only deposit up to 5k or something arbitrary like 2500 or 3000. I have a couple banks like Wells Fargo and Fifth Third and they all have these arbitrary limits on a nice feature. I constantly hit the deposit amount wall. Fucking annoying.

The claim wasn't that checks aren't monitored but still retain some desirable features such as delays or dating.

>How are you paying?
>"MasterCard"
>Tap on machine and leave, no change or receipt or pin or swipe needed.

Nah, I'm not wrong.

MasterCard and Amex usually have 4-5% cashback on gas/grocery without limits, Visa is almost half or has spending limits or has a big annual fee.

I have compared every single credit card because I can get any card I want.

Can't use Visa at Costco - used to be you couldn't use MasterCard. They changed contracts. I fucking work at Costco so I know.

>Can't use Visa at Costco - used to be you couldn't use MasterCard. They changed contracts. I fucking work at Costco so I know.

WRONG

wsj.com/articles/costco-names-citi-visa-as-credit-partners-1425302174

Fuck double WRONG.

It USED to be you COULD use MasterCard.

>my tap isn't working
>wait a minute, it's not detecting the chip
>hey cletus, what's my PIN number again
>transaction not completed
>insufficient funds

it's not always more efficient. expect amerilards to make it slow as shit

you're a fucking retard.

the other guy is clearly in Canada...seeings he fucking mentions Canada.

In Canada, Costco only takes mastercard.

sup man. which warehouse you in?

Different in Canada you fucking moron

capitalone.ca/credit-cards/costco/

I'm in BC. Mainly work in the freezers.

everyone who tells you not to be paranoid works for the CIA

Tfw not supported in Canada
Y tho

>>abstract merchant
>>is clearly cubist
underrated comment

>Mainly work in the freezers.

my sympathies. been there and done that (as a bakery stocker in the past). tough as shit work in there

>Are we ever going to get to widespread fingerprint-based security readers?
I'm sure cops will sooner or later. Probably public transport too. Then cars will need one to make sure that the driver is licensed.

Unless we just start implanting everyone with some next-gen rfid or something instead.

>America could nuke the entire europe and still have enough nukes to nuke you five times again retard

>You should begin by getting out a map and trying to locate Europe for starters.

And THAT's how Japan got nuked the second time.

Yeah, it has a high turnover because it's probably the heaviest lifting in that place. It's me and another young guy. Nothing like getting up at 3am in Canadian winter, getting in a cold car then stepping into the freezers...

>go to store
>get my shit
>go to the cashier
>tell the fucker that it's from the dollar account and not the local currency account
>"ok"
>the idiot still uses the local currency because she's used to it
>does it 3 more times
>she finally gets it
>transacction error
>try again
>transacction error
>move it away from the chunk of slobilly painted over metal that it's sitting on because "it looks professional"
>it works
Fuck cashiers, they are not to be used for anything more complicated than basic electricity.

yea I started at 5am as a bakery stocker.

don't miss those days. i just walk around in a red vest now and generally chill.

yes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_field_communication
although if i'm not wrong, your microcontroller was here for chip payments too

i live in eastern europe and i don't even remember how i was paying before contactless anymore, and eastern europe is kinda third world

It works, but it's shit and slow. You're better off just swiping your card at the machine.

And I hate the employees who stop me from swiping and tell me to use that fucking chip. Fuck you assholes.

Swiping isn't as safe.

How is it slow, is murikka that far behind? It takes about 3 seconds to process it here. You can't swipe/signature in 3 seconds.

>America is the only country with caps
>One small section of users means the whole country has caps

I was in Kenya last month.

They use chips.

Americans once again think that their country is the entire world.

because they are fucking jews

I can tap and pay with my phone now

How can I make it so I don't have to do PIN to further streamline the process?

Be more relevant, faggot.

Check out this fucker.

You can see the die inside and 6 bond wires going from the contact pads to the chip.

So yes, there is a tiny microcontroller in your credit card.

move to a non shit bank.

Depends where you are and who you're with, one of my banks (NAB) will do PIN-less payments up to $100.

fortunately for the other 95% of the planet we do not have to deal with shitty internal american backwardness.

Hard to be more relevant when America has all the bombs.

Unless you are Russia.

>We gonna nuke you!!!

Typical Uhhmerican response.

Only for cards with NFC capability. For these you can buy a wallet or card holder lined with material that blocks the signals. Costs about the same as any other card holder or wallet.
Phones you gotta open up an app on first.

>>my tap isn't working
>>wait a minute, it's not detecting the chip
>>hey cletus, what's my PIN number again
>>transaction not completed
>>insufficient funds
This, holy shit. I used to work a register and hands down the slowest motherfuckers would always have been the people paying by card.
>whoop no money on this one, oh the reader isn't reading this card because it's like 15 years old/i have somehow managed to mangle a durable piece of solid plastic, guess i'll try this one. shit i don't remember the pin, look just do it as a signature.
Yes... Faster...

>This, holy shit. I used to work a register and hands down the slowest motherfuckers would always have been the people paying by card.
Yeah, well most people who are going to pay by cash make sure they have the cash so only the retards with no money paying by card will fuck up.
For the non-retards paying by card it'll definitely be faster.

It's like a gun discussion where the first comment is "come take my guns you commie!", even when nobody has ever tried that, and, if someone did, there wouldn't be a god damn thing one yahoo could do to stop them.

Guess it makes them feel tough as their political system and economy go down the crapper. Can't blame them.

>americans would rather have an very insecure form of payment that can be easily cloned over something much more secure because they can't wait an extra 5 seconds.

Have there been any RFD attacks/thefts reported in the wild ?
Honestly, the only stuff I was finding was proof of concept stuff and nothing else.

Be mindful, reading a card with some RFID reader is not the same as getting money.
Its like arguing that taking a picture of a credit card is some sort of 'hack' without you actual trying to order something online.
The pay and pay/RFID thing is just something built into your account, you can go to the bank and ask them to turn it off without buying a goofy wallet.

Mastercard master race

I use debit at the nice convenience store nearby because the owners are nice folk and stock all the American products you cant get here normally.

Nice getting 2% cashback everywhere, tap is nice too but most debit cards have those here as well.

check the app properties.

I know with my banks app, I had two options.

1) turn on whenever I need to make a payment (ie open app and turn on the 30 second window for payment)
OR
2) always on.

It *used* to be that the phone if powered on would work (screen off, locked , didn't matter) , they made a recent change to the app that the phone needs to be unlocked to work.

>why has it taken so long for it to get adopted?

I live in an Eastern European shithole and I don't remember anything else being standard since mid 90's.

My bank already have and I'm not ok with it.

>muh nukes
lmao

nukes are something more than just people killing thingie

>evil nips have two cities
>glorious land of freedom USA drops two nukes on two cities, evaporating civilians
>no one condemns USA
>entire situation is now only mentioned in jokes, never nuke country twice
>it's not genocide because it was a bomb

nukes allow you to kill people without making it socially awkward

Maybe you can nuke your extra chromosome.

based on this picture of half-killed nip, it seems like USA nukes simply melt people instead of fixing down's syndrome.