Why do we hate Python again?

Why do we hate Python again?

Other urls found in this thread:

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=node&lang2=python3
github.com/google/grumpy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sup Forums don't hate python, fag

We don't hate it again, we always hate it.

It's a good scripting language 8/10 would use

I personally use it a lot, but to solve huge recursive puzzles, it's slow as fuck.

It's slow, bloated, and doesn't have pointers or s-expressions.

I love python

Except the whole v2.7 v3 thing, there are just so many people hanging out on 2.7, as it stands I have to have both installed

it's pretty much worse than javascript in every way.

the only real positive to it is that it come on virtually every distro now, like perl does. so shit like ansible make it useful.

>Why do we hate Python again?
its comfy desu

>it's pretty much worse than javascript in every way
>interpreted
>weakly typed
I can only think of these two. What else?

>doesn't have pointers
it doesnt need pointers. 100% no need for them in python

>I can only think of these two. What else?
are you doing this to win an argument?
try to get ammo for when you tell your buddy that python is no good?

No, I'm trying to understand your reasoning of why "it's pretty much worse than javascript in every way".

Jesus fuck that color scheme is atrocious

>I'm trying to understand your reasoning of why "it's pretty much worse than javascript in every way".
maybe it isnt.

It's baby's first language that is outclassed by dozens of other languages in real-world applications. It's useful for students and NEETs and pet projects. Nothing more.

inflexible module system and dependency resolution

slower by magnitudes

rapidly changing obtuse grammars that are trying to catch up and provide feature parity with more modern languages, like javascript.

large as fuck standard library

python 2 - 3 split and shit like six

Because its logo is ugly

I don't hate it, there's just things I don't like.

Anonymous functions are crippled, I have issues with some of the conventions for list slicing, "pythonic" writing usually ends up sacrificing readability for the sake of pithyness, list indexing in base python lacks some features common in other languages like masking with a boolean array. And personally I think forced whitespace is cancer. There's zero reason to load an invisible character with syntactic meaning.

I still use it a lot, though.

prepare for 100 posts from people that dont know about numpy, scipy, scikit-learn, pandas and matplotlib

python is beautiful high level glue that can call fast c and fortran defined procedures

it is best of both worlds

Weird lambdas thanks to separation of statements and expressions
Purposefully giving up TCO for the sake of stack traces
Some oddness when working with closures thanks to the confusing rules for when names are bound
Interpreter is a pain in the ass to use interactively thanks to whitespace being part of the syntax
GIL is annoying but I recognize how clever a solution it is and how naive attempts to remove it would slow things down worse
2/3 split could have been handled way better. We still have people swearing by 2 long after it has stopped receiving updates.

Overall not too bad. I use it from time to time but would rather use Racket or Lua for scripting depending on my needs.

Because meaningful whitespace is cancer.

How can you even read that. At least do a meme colorscheme like dark solarized

>It's useful for students and NEETs and pet projects. Nothing more.
You fuckin wish

We don't.

Because it's a simple language that doesn't allow the average Sup Forums neckbeard to feel el33t for knowing how to use it

Because Python 3 is shit.

Why don't you just go all the way and make your font black?

Sup Forums hates that which they can't do (programing) own (mac) or have success with (3D women).

Python is top choice for anyone who wants to be productive.

It's another blub language that thinks it's easy for beginners but doesn't try very hard at it

>top
fuck off

that would be C# friendo

We do? Python is my favourite language.

> worse than javascript in every way.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

FOIC

Because it is well paid and simple to learn. People are blinded by easy cash and don't learn anything else

>literally shilling a snake language
>goes on the defense the second someone criticizes it

It's almost as if you have a personal stake in the matter...

Ikno wrigh tfuc kwhite spacef ags.Anyo newho doesn'tu searbit rary inde ntat ionsho uld di ei afir e

>what is tab
>what is ;
Also, your argument is retarded

Because Matlab Masterrace

With the scipy and matplotlib libraries it's very useful for science and math

>indentation

> 2017
> writing a personal stake
> not writing a personal snake

> ISHYGDDT

fucking kek

Because Ruby exists

T
R
E
E
Top snek

lol no way. You're a retard.

>it's pretty much worse than javascript in every way.

How about "it can run in something besides a fucking browser", you goddamn imbecile

Good luck finding matplotlib and scipy in JS, lol

>interpreted languages
lmao
m
a
o

>How about "it can run in something besides a fucking browser"
what is node

literally a piece of shit

>confusing language with implementation

>large as fuck standard library
How is this bad? It was one of the reasons Java became popular.
>oh shit, there's a ready made function available to do just what I want. I wanted to implement one from scratch.

>weakly typed
But Python is generally considered strongly typed.

>itt people who will argue that "Python should be strongly typed like C is"

*raises paw*
um....

>nano
for real ?

>pip install whatever
>lol didnt work xd gl finding out what the problem is fuckhead

>inflexible module system
Are you high? Python's module system is so flexible, it's Turing complete.

> USE LE VIM XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

kys

>compiled scripts
MY SIDES
Y

S
I
D
E
S

Any goof resources to start learning python? Books or tutorials? My focus is raspberry pi

this

Being a programmer is like being a man. It's all about proving you're smarter and more powerful and better hung than everyone else in the whole fucking world. Using Python doesn't help with that even a little bit, because it makes programming look easy. If anyone who knows how to program can use it, what good does it do you as a programmer? You have to prove you're a badass by doing excruciatingly difficult things on a daily basis. Otherwise there's no point posting on Sup Forums.

>2017
>using recursion

No wonder your software is slow dude

this is why nodejs is better.

npm is 10/10

except V8 is faster than python's interpreter/JIT

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=node&lang2=python3

>except V8 is faster than python's interpreter/JIT
It probably is in most usage cases. However, I note that your benchmark link is highly misleading in this context, since it is a benchmark of vanilla cpython 3, not a JIT implementation of python like pypy

>matplotlib
if you're making graphs and you're not doing it in R then you fucked UP

My only problem with it is the syntax

People have a natural tendency to learn one language and then latch onto that language and use it for everything and then try and shoot down every other language as inferior.

The fact is there are 3 best languages, Python, Ruby and Javascript. All 3 languages are best for what they do, none can replace the other.

Javascript is the absolute best in high order functions. The function is the ONLY scope in Javascript outside of file scope. You cant pass functions around as easily in Python or Ruby. Prototype inheritance makes a perfect compliment for holding and passing data in a functionally centered type of programming. Javascript is the perfect language for web programming and browser API functionality We should all be thankful Brendan Eich was working at Netscape in 1995.

Ruby is very smalltalkish in that objects are very isolated and immutable. Ruby is very much based on passing messages and it is very difficult to impossible to mutate data directly. This makes Ruby perfect for a DSL language such as in Rails.

Python is the most imperative scripting language. This makes it best for scientific programming and systems administration. It is the rightful follow-on to Perl for being a good all-round do-everything utility language.

Stop the scripting language wars and accept all 3 of these languages as best for what they do.

Ruby is basically dead and Rails is the only thing that keeps it even slightly relevant.

Everything is a pointer in python my darling.

>Almost all programming now is web based
>Very few jobs exist for making stand-alone programs that are installed directly to a platform
>Even most mobile programs are web based

>Rails is the only thing that keeps it even slightly relevant.
yeah, only 99% of startup jobs require you to use either javascript or ruby...because its only slightly relevant

This isn't 2006. Most startups stopped using Rails years ago. There's no point using Ruby anymore when you can be just as productive in languages that actually have significant communities and usage/libraries outside of web development.

>it's pretty much worse than javascript in every way.

Maybe if you're a HUE coder or a Pajeet only hired to work on web dev monkey projects because you are too stupid to use the higher level scripting languages normally used in engineering, acedemia and robotics.

>You cant pass functions around as easily in Python or Ruby.
What the fuck are you talking about?

Nano is fine as long as you don't fag up the color scheme.

We don't hate it, we just ignore it cuz it sucks

its that simple, you cant, stand alone functions or methods cannot be passed in Ruby without using stupid cludges like procs. I dont know how its done in Python (go ahead and show me), but Im sure its not much better

github.com/google/grumpy

everything is a first class object in Python, including functions

however, python's functional programming capabilities are largely an afterthought and not well fleshed out

>Nano
>Might as well be black font
Why don't you `uname -a` so I can laugh harder?

>not adhering to PEP 8

Python's biggest problem is that Guido hates functional programming. He wanted to take out map and filter for gods sake, and have everything done in comprehensions.

This sucks a lot when some ideas are much easier to express functionally

List comprehensions are much faster than map/ filter in python, and achieve the same thing, while also being more readable

compare
filter(lambda x: not x%2, range(10))

with:
(i for i in range(10) if not i%2)

also, comprehensions allow both filter and map to be applied on the same loop

((lambda x: x*x)(i) for i in range(10) if not i%2)

if you were using map and filter only, this would be
map(lambda x: x*x, filter(lambda x: not x%2, range(10)))

Of course, because comprehensions are a built in mechanism. And because Guido doesn't want to suppose map/filter.

On the other hand, comprehensions get completely overwhelming once you have to start chaining more than 3-4 operations at once.

Guido's recommendation at that point is to do that on separate lines rather than combining all of them, which isn't necessarily, wrong (in the context of having simple readable code), but can be cumbersome.

readability is almost always going to be a subjective evaluation

personally, I find the map and filter approach to be much more readable. when you're chaining together multiple conditions in comprehensions like that, I find that it's harder to keep track of the grammar of the comprehension or grasp at a glance what it's doing

also it's not exactly the best comparison because Python's syntax for lambdas is kinda garbage.

Its very good for small quick programs. Which is what it was intended for.

This, it might not handle pointers like C++ but you can always get the address in memory breh

It's used by tons of companies for:

1. Solving small problems
2. Prototyping stuff that will later be written in a compiled language
3. Math/science applications. Not that I would expect anyone on Sup Forums to know anything about computer SCIENCE.

map(lambda x: x+1, list)

how is that hard to understand?

I meant specifically the format of lambda x: x+1

You have to write out the whole world lambda and you can only use one expression at a time. It's clunky and hamstrung.

For context in scala you would be able to do something like

(1 to 10) filter {_%2==1} map {_**2}

And you can keep chaining more things and other functional goodies that way

It's beginner friendly and therefore many SJWs and feminists hang around it's community, doing nothing productive except bitch about terms like "master & slave". Although it might seem extremist to hate a language for such a reason, think again. Do we really want more special little SJW snowflakes in out communities? No? I thought so.

*our
Sorry guys I fucked up. No bully, please. :(

>you can only use one expression at a time.
One expression is enough.

#!/usr/bin/env python3
(lambda sys:(lambda input:(lambda ilen:(lambda m,olen:(lambda star:(lambda f,g:None)(list(map(lambda i:(lambda b:list(map(lambda x,y: star[x].__setitem__(y,input[i]),[i,b,m,m,i,i,b,b],[m,m,i,b,i,b,i,b])))(olen-i-1),range(ilen))),print("\n".join("".join(char for char in row) for row in star))))([[" " for x in range(olen)] for x in range(olen)]))(ilen-1,2*ilen-1))(len(input)))(sys.argv[1]))(__import__('sys'))

>Of course, because comprehensions are a built in mechanism.

Without a type system that enforces purity map/filter etc. combinators can't be fused safely and will always be less efficient. You can mitigate this somewhat by making all collection combinators lazy but this still has significant overhead in function calls.

that's disgusting to look at.

JITSHIT

There are many oldfags in Python, not many SJWs as the language lost its hype like Ruby (though Ruby was always twice as SJW).
It's at least 10 ten times better than JavaScript or Rust.

>Without a type system
Python has optional static type checking now

>can't be fused safely
Don't write shitty code

>will always be less efficient
Are you complaining about the efficiency of an interpreted, non-JIT language?

>making all collection combinators lazy
Generators are lazy

>this still has significant overhead in function calls.
map/filter has higher function call overhead than generator expressions in general