My CPU cooler runs fine, however its a 5 year old stock piece of shit. Bought pic related for OCing up to 4.6 or 4...

My CPU cooler runs fine, however its a 5 year old stock piece of shit. Bought pic related for OCing up to 4.6 or 4.7 ghz (i5 2500k sandy bridge)

Did i fuck up? Can my stock little CPU cooler run an OC just fine if i use thermal paste? Because i can still return the 212 if i dont take it out of the box.

Probably got some dust on ye cooler. Clean it perhaps?

If you are still not satisfied, buy some other huge ass cooler.

p.s. not shilling noctua although I'd love to get a DH-14 for muh birthday

I haven't even OC'd it.

What i want to know is if i should try to risk an OC with the stock cooler and maybe thermal paste or if an old stock 5 year old air cooler is considered shit at this point.

The hyper evo wasn't as cheap as you can find it in the US, but as far as i know its probably the best bang for buck air cooler for CPUs in the market right now. That's why i want to know if i did wrong in buying it.

shoulda got h7

I bought CoolerMaster EVO 212,,, temp never goes above 45C. It's virtually silent.

I see. Change the thermal paste if you want to. If you want to OC, ask around here or search around google on how to.

I'm a non-K user but I bought the 212 meme because damn it's hella quiet.

Its an E97378-001 intel stock cooler.

Anyone has experiences with those? I really wanna save as much budget as possible but i know that a bad CPU cooler will fry the entire shit.

While i take those points, i cant do much with them. Even with the CPU cooler working at near 100% load i dont mind the sound. In fact i kinda find it relaxing to know that my PC is still working (all my case coolers stopped working and now every time i hear a fan working i take ease to know that its still there)

Fan is a DTC-DAA10 of .5 Amps. I seriously have no idea how good the cooler stands since i dont find jack shit about this specific cooler on google.

Is the cooler the little thin one or the giant tube like the ones that were on 775 P4's and c2d's?
The little one wouldnt be enough for a high oc, the bigger one maybe could handle it

The 212evo is definitely a good choice, not expensive, can handle a decent bit of heat

I personally like bequiet's pure rock cooler, which is great for a hight oc if you dont mind 60-65° under load, And an average of 10$ more over the 212, got a 4790k up to 4.6ghz at 64c average load temp on one, while my 212 evo was hitting 70

Just don't OC with the stock fan AKA intel jew cooler.

>Is the cooler the little thin one or the giant tube like the ones that were on 775 P4's and c2d's?
I think its the thin ones.

The fan itself is pretty small but the heatsink (which i think its made out of aluminium) doesn't seem too bad.

Ok, this is making up my mind. Although i would still like to know if anyone has stories or experience with the stock intel sandy bridge cooler used for OCing.

>Did i fuck up?

No.

Make sure you install it correctly (proper amount and application of thermal paste). If you get running and your CPU is too hot, one of the first things to check is if you got this part right. At least half the time people fuck up their thermal paste but check that last when they don't like the temps they see.

Upgrade the fan, or even push-pull. Put something on that can push 70+ CFM (I've got a couple that are rated 72 CFM). You won't (usually) push that much air, but the capacity will be there if you really need it. Mostly you'll run 60%-80% fan speed, unless you're doing some mad CPU load. If you go push-pull, still try to put 70 CFM fans on, but you can also consider dropping to ~62/65 CFM and still be good.

Make sure case is well-vented, with an intake fan blowing directly to the cooling block if possible.

You'll be good for an i5 2500k @4.8 GHz ... but chances are better than 50-50 that's the upper limit. If you want to go over that, you might get lucky with what I posted above, but be prepared to research other options if that doesn't work. Including, your CPU might just not be able to do it due to the individual CPU luck-of-the-draw.

Also, overclock.net and read around for a bit. Put your meme filters on if you don't want to get sucked into $200 worth of cooling block & fans. A 212 has a shitload of capacity if you leverage it correctly.

>Make sure you install it correctly (proper amount and application of thermal paste)
Got the fear on that one. LinusTechTips (pre-faggotry era) or was it JayTwoCents explained that the thermal glue has to be placed on the cooler side first, a little bit, and then sparsed with something rather sharp to make a layer of thermal paste so thin that you can see the other side. Many others i've seen just placed a small amount directly on the CPU, so i dont know if that procedure is correct.

>Make sure case is well-vented, with an intake fan blowing directly to the cooling block if possible.

Made sure of that to begin with. Bought new case (old one was FUBAR) and bought 3 AF-120 corsair fans to install.

>You'll be good for an i5 2500k @4.8 GHz ... but chances are better than 50-50 that's the upper limit.

Before i knew jack shit about computers my IT friends and current PC builder said that "OCing was dangerous with no watercooling and i should not attempt to do it with no money to replace any lost part since it would drastically reduce lifespan".

Honestly my i5 2500k is just shit. I just wanna play Arma 3 and Beamng ok-ish but instead of fishing for a new and expensive PC i wanna use the unlocked CPU and MOBO and see what i can do with it.

Worsts comes to happen, i can fish the 16gb DDR3 ram for a new MOBO and the new case/cooler/CPU cooler and maybe the PSU will do for a new slightly better computer.

>Also, overclock.net and read around for a bit.
Will do, user!

This so much. My brother has a 212 EVO and it was tricky as hell to install. Thank fuck I didn't fall for the 212 meme.

>my after market cooler doesn't install like stock coolers

>"WAAAH WAAAH 2HARD4ME ITS A MEME FUCK THIS COOLER!"

Faggot.

Using thermal paste is easy as fuck. You don't need to spread it or anything. Just clean off the old compound and place a small pea sized blob on the cpu and place the cooler on it. Some video Luke did about a year ago on LTT shows that the application method does not matter and the only important thing is to make sure there is enough paste.

Are you retarded? You should've kys'd right on the spot while desperately trying to put together your foolermaster junk.

>animeposting
This is why you are a virgin

>frog/pol/posting
This is why you are a virgin

>implying

Just put the 212 on.

They're like $25 and much better than stock. If you're really worried about the fact you spent $25 you have too tight of a budget to be spending on your computer anyways.

The cheapest i found the 212 on my country was at 70 bucks.