/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00?1=1&utm_placement=0&referer=2YVXYC&mode=guest_open
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for cable risers

second for brilliant pebbles

Just bought the Philips SHP9500. Haven't used open headphones before. Assuming I'm using them at a reasonable volume, how much sound can a person sitting like a feet away from me hear? Half of what I do?

>how much sound can a person sitting like a feet away from me hear?
most of it

set your current headphones at normal volume down on your desk. that's roughtly how loud open cans will be when on your head.

What do you guys think about Pic related

I-I can't hear anything when it's on my desk. Using DT 770s.

easy way to test that
cover the inside cups with your hands
hold it a foot away from your head

there you go

though a foot is PRETTY FUCKING CLOSE for someone else to be close to you, that's what, like 30 cm?

you're basically rubbing shoulders at that point

>you're basically rubbing shoulders at that point
gaaaaay

Who here besides me has a lot of money to spend on audio gear but he's not going to spend any money because he's definitely satisfied with what he already has?

maybe spend it on a non-shit waifu instead

Me.

Hopefully your music and audio taste isn't as good as your women taste.

>showing bare mammaries to all men around
>waifu material

she literally has a boob window
she's sucked off two guys and did one anal between your two posts

it's like he wants to get cucked lmao

oh I forgot that was a thing
well move along then user

You're mistaking my waifu for somebody else.
Please stop posting.

see if that's not a boob window made exclusively to stare at and stick your dick in, what the fuck is it

Your thoughts are dirty.

not as dirty as your whore tier waifu

>a correctly filled purchase advice form, too
Oh, they don't bother with that as often as they should.
These people can't figure out why we encourage you post about your previous headphones in the template.

One of the things I'd want to convey is that the better electronics don't so much make it sound better, so much as reproduce it without artifacts.
That power is listed as a spec instead of voltage tends to make things annoying.
>basic infographic points
-Headphones in general don't require amplifiers
-Amplifiers are not going to make a headphone sound "better", just louder
-DACs don't drive headphones directly
-High impedance does not explicitly require an amplifier
-How much power(voltage) you need from your amp is just how loud you want it to be, and headphone dependent

There's a very annoying thing about headphone users, that they tend to assume high impedance to be more "difficult to drive". It isn't like this in the speaker world, where 1 ohm speakers are rightly considered brutal loads.

Effective EMI rejection ratio comes down to component choice, as well as as arrangement and shielding. As you might expect, electrical engineering is way more complicated than just moving the op-amps away from the emitter.

>I'm questioning if I still need to be using my external headphone amp/DAC. I tried out the onboard audio on my Asus Maximus VII Hero and it drove my headphones just as well.
Of course not. If you don't have an issue, why are you bothering with other gear?

>I get so much goddamn EMI using my external unit
Actual EMI or just noise floor? As in, interference that can be strongly correlated to active GPU, motors, wireless data, etc.

She's everyones waifu ;)
You prob tasted cum from her lips too, faggot

is there any reason i shouldn't get these?

my last pair were koss PRO4AAT headphones and they were tits aside from being uncomfortable after a while

I think ma-900s have ruined me, I've tried 10+ different sets of phones (currently using k712s) and every other headphone causes me pain/discomfort during extended sessions, after spending 2 years wearing ma-900s daily I don't think I can change my daily set of cans.

HD650- might be a while before I start saving for endgame gear

Speaking of which what is your endgame /hpg/?

880 prob

They get uncomfortable after a while

massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00?1=1&utm_placement=0&referer=2YVXYC&mode=guest_open

best closed headphones are back b o y s

>400 bucks
>cable isn't detachable
into the trash

The amount of sound that will leak out into the room is a lot, and it's not quiet. It will be VERY noticeable to anyone sitting anywhere near you.

I never have tried them but their FR looks like the most confy thing to listen to, i have the hd600 but these are tempting

go fuck yourselves

Cancerous taste on music. also it's kinda sad that you have this shitty albums as your favo while you watch anime with very bright/uplifiting sounding OPs as where your shit waifu came from.

Damn that sucks. The PC is in the living room so was hoping it wouldn't leak too much. Oh well.

The meme50x is not very comfortable and the ear cups sit on top of my ears cause I have a big head.

I LOVE my logitech g930 but they do not have very good audio quality, the comfort level is insane. Are there any headphones like these?

>urbanears

these aren't WS1100is

>Solid BassĀ®
niggers should be lynched

>actually believing to the marketing meme
You missing a lot

well, the sound getting past the headphones and into your head is also a lot. There is almost zero isolation with these.

US, Looking for a desktop DAC/AMP with switchable pre-amp output.

So far I've found the Micca Origen+, but people complain about power, quality and drivers, and the NFB-11, which is $320.

Any other good choices under $300? I'd also go with just an amp.

Out of all of this. What should i get?
Want it to be closed back, comfy, good bass if possible. Previous headset wqs g930

why

Forgot pic

because, how much this cast you?

Take your pills against depression, user.
With love,
a true patrician audiophile

speak english please

You are depressed

I made a typo

Update
Bought the hd559s

>goes to store
>post pic of store shelf on Sup Forums
>asks what to buy

>and headphone dependent
I guess many of these are in some way headphone dependent except for gear behind the amp(DAC, source, phono stage, shakti stones).

Some concepts like "sounding better" are subjective to a point and relative to whatever gear a person has now. As an example, a competently designed amplifier could have an audible impact on the sound but only if the device you compare it to is really poor. While this is more a situation where the existing gear was just bad and the other one merely works, it could confuse some. This is something that is hard to know without a comparison and even then listening isn't exactly a reliable way to tell. How to convey this without removing the idea that amplifiers only make things louder? Or should it go unmentioned until a problem arises?

>There's a very annoying thing about headphone users, that they tend to assume high impedance to be more "difficult to drive".
I really wonder how this came to be. Was it just the realization that many high impedance(say above 300 ohm) headphones often come with a lower than usual voltage sensitivity. Or was it the amplifier spec sheets listing silly upper ranges of load impedance(like FiiO E10K's "up to 150 ohm"). Then this causing misconceptions about electrical resistance and after being repeated enough times on forums it became pseudoscience.

Another thing which seems to create very odd ideas is source file material, lossy/lossless file compression, perceptual coding(encoders+settings, bitrate), transparency and how this relates(or doesn't relate) into headphone(and other gear's) quality.

>Is it worth to upgrade my headphones if I only listen to mp3?

Answering these kinds of questions properly without resorting into "it doesn't work that way" or tl:dr is really hard.

>goes to store
>post pic of store shelf on Sup Forums
>asks what to buy
2 minutes and 0 replies later
>buys most expensive option on store shelf

fucking rofl

Thats a weird way of spelling nearly cheapest

did you look at the store shelf pic? It looked full of $30 walmart-tier options...

I wish, lowest price was 150. The shit i got was 159

tell us what oh does it sound? have you own the 558?

hey /hpg/

i'm looking for a pair of headphones that are comfy and don't boost the bass or any frequency. a flat response, i guess -- i don't know the jargon

i'm looking for something that goes over the ear and is not noise cancelling.
my main use will be playing music to play along to.

price range is up to $200.00, possibly more

Beats by Dr. Dre
or fill out the fucking template

open or closed?

open 558, closed m40x

closed
those Audio Technica look fine, but i wouldn't mind spending like twice as much more.
in the past i've usually just bought the $20 Sony headphones

I don't know of any good higher budget neutral headphones that are closed

ok, thanks. i think i'm just going to try these out. price is good enough so i won't experience too much butt hurt if i don't like them

hey guys, what's the best headphone cable you can get?

the most expensive ones

any brands you'd recommend?

In the same way that your DAC, amp and headphones should always cost around the same amount, your cables should be similarly expensive.

So for example, when you buy the HD800S as a midfi set of headphones for say $1400, plan to spend that much times three for a proper setup.

It depends on your headphones. I mean, isn't obvious that the best audio is going to come from cables made specifically for that headphone model?

>isn't obvious
no

the most expensive ones

Ja BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

What kind of cable?

1/8" to 1/8"

I hope it's DOA

I found a pair of ATH ANC7 headphones with case, cable, and adapters for $5. Foam on the ears and hand band is a little damaged, damn these things are comfy and don't sound bad for $5.

autism

So I got the HD559 and i'm loving so god damn much, what are some things I should do now that I have proper headphones? I've never owned a sick pair such as this

Learn to use a parametric equalizer to make them sound even better.

I need a 2x 2.5mm > 3.5mm/6.25mm jack cable, quite long, 2m+.

Where do I find one in Europe?

nothign?

Enjoy them friendo.

You're almost plateaued at the best headphones you can get without needing massive amps to properly drive them.

If you really want, first save up and get a proper setup. Then you can splurge on some resistant bastard phones

Is the foam mod still possible on the new gen HD 559

Hey /hpg/,

Does a Akg k702 need an amp?
I've only got a Xonar D1 sound card without amp.

My gramps got me a pair of beats for New Years, what do?

sell

>If you really want, first save up and get a proper setup. Then you can splurge on some resistant bastard phones
Yeah would really like to know what that means.

so how about a ~$50 pair of bluetooth?

it would be great if they are mesh/allow me to hear around them (currently I have to run one off my right ear because I need to be able to hear.

I'd like light that stay on head well and have good bluetooth distance. I'm not an audiophile or anything so don't pull anything trying to match the budget. (hope it's not too basic a request)

>get amp
>get headphones that are tough as shit to drive like HE-500, HD800, LCD-2, Fostex, etc

The mahogany TH-X00s are on massdrop if anyone was waiting for them.

I got the HE400i on sale this winter, really enjoying them so far.

The Planar Magnetic sound is quite different from what I was using prior (k7xx) but very enjoyable.

>no detachable cable
drake_shun.jpg

And besides spending money that gives you what?

Also...

>tough to drive

LCD-2 was never that insensitive and past Fazor magnet structure the modern Audeze phones are quite safely powered on standard electronics with a headphone out.

HD 800 is nothing unusual if you have a bit of voltage. Most sources are completely fine. My mobile phone already does a decent job with 1 Vrms. I want more headroom for EQ and high dynamic range content but for most modern music without EQ, they are quite fine.

What Fostex? Their TR50P and TR40P junk is the least sensitive but neither are especially bad. Lower than LCD-2 but higher than HD 800 as far as sensitivity goes. Higher end models such as the TH-600/900/X00 are the opposite and will not require any kind of discrete amplifier.

HE-500 is the least sensitive and due to the lower impedance it's also the hardest load. Fulla 2 won't sweat.

You shouldn't think the difference comes from the transducer type itself.

Wat?

V-moda ones are the best

kek i ignored that response, but that's what i was thinking

>Budget
200 I guess but around 100 would be better
>Location
USA
>Source
Laptop and Iphone
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Pretty comfy
>Sound signature
Want something neutral and analytical to compliment my fun-sounding vmoda's.

what's the better option

you have $100

you can buy Sennheiser HD 280 or Sony MDR-7506

or

Audio-Technica ATH-M30x for $60 and Takstar 2050 $45

I buy a 7506 and pads

HD558 or HD598SE

what brand of pads?