Tech-related professionals of Sup Forums...

Tech-related professionals of Sup Forums, do you ever feel bored or depressed grinding out 40 or more hours of cubicle work every week?

I know I do, but it pays the bills.

Other urls found in this thread:

usesthis.com/interviews/joey.hess/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I am not a code monkey

What do you do?
Tradeoff of not being on welfare is I make a lot more

neets are worse than niggers.

I do basic shit tech support and want to end it every moment.

>cubicle work
That shit actually exists outside of Hollywood movies?

>he works in a cubicle

Move to a city

But I already live in one?

>cubicle work

I get called to go out to local businesses to fix their computer junk. Its by appt only, 80/hr plus travel, half the time my pay is rounded up to the nearest hundred as a tip, schedule most of them when I want, get to travel to different places around the area (within 60mi of my house), 10-15 hours a week, comfortable but stressful. I'll lay in bed and work on projects most of the day today. Pic related, I take work home too sometimes (but not much these days), rate cut in half for in-shop labor.

The day I work in a cubicle is the day I die inside.

You are literally fucked when mommy does bro. You are gonna be homeless especially if you are American.

Then you've probably noticed office building. Guess what, those are packed with offices.

NEETs who do nothing but fap and play video games are fucked, the ones who are actually doing something productive (like learning how to code) can use their enormous amount of free time to get really good at it and when they're ready, become independent. I myself was wage slaving last year, fuck that shit. 60 hours a week to make some Jews rich while I had no time to better myself and learn new things.

Guess what, not all offices have cubicles.

>the ones who are actually doing something productive (like learning how to code) can use their enormous amount of free time to get really good at it and when they're ready, become independent.

You mean pretend to do something while continue to do nothing but scam some furries out of their money by promising them some game?

>Guess what, not all offices have cubicles.

Relevance?

Get a better job if they force you into a cubicle and you hate it

this is what i should get into.
How do you get started user?

>Tfw I have to go offshore for work
>Already dead inside
>Pic related, view from my "office"

I worked for a computer repair shop for a couple of years after I was done with schooling, watched how it all worked, then started my own when their pay started to dwindle and working there wasn't fun anymore. Local advertising (radio and papers), word of mouth, free jobs for people here and there.

So you rely on reputation?
How much you spend on advertising?

Not a whole lot. I have a friend who's a dj, they play my ad and plug me sometimes if I fix their stuff when it goes down. There are a few free papers around that I'm in and Tha paid ones totaled about 400 last year.

Yes. Systems engineer/devops sorta person here.

My dream is to work remotely doing something away from the city, similar to Joey Hess.

usesthis.com/interviews/joey.hess/

If I could be a kernel dev or similar that would be really nice. I don't mind the tech work, even though working 40+ hours a week blows, at least I wouldn't be bound to my office surrounded by normies.

Nice, how many clients you get?
Is it better than minimum wage?

I'm applying for your current job at a big tech company. Good chance I'll at least get an interview. It'll probably pay well but this wage slave life blows ass

I work at one of the BigTech Co's, maybe you'll be in the same one as me. It's a pretty comfy job, I learned and continue to learn a lot, it's sort of made my resume recruiter-bait because the names mean a lot. I don't think you'll regret it and the money is good too and for the most part I'm surrounded by amazing coworkers that motivate me to do better.

I wish you the best of luck user, but at the end of the day I'm horribly depressed because I feel like it killed the hobby for me and I'm wasting my life at work.

I have a lot of repetitive business, mostly small businesses, a few home users I still cater to. As for a number, to many to count. I've driven 3 in-house techs out of a job out of the 12 businesses I administer. There are 3-4 new customers a month (home users) and 1-2 new businesses a year.

Yes, much, with more downtime for hobbies and such. I keep 10-12 hours a week at advance auto because not stressful, don't know who's going to call for maintenance (unsteady nature of repair), cool people, and 20% discount on parts for ma hobbies.

It's exhausting some times, and not in the good way.
My office is so out of touch with modern development, and good practices in general, that it's difficult trying to accomplish anything at all.

I was hired as part of their modernization strategy, so I somewhat feel it's my responsibility to push for modern tactics and good practices. The problem is that there is so much to do that I feel a little overwhelmed, and management isn't doing much to reduce the friction caused by change.

You do computers only?

Post shitbox pls.

Yes. If you're a good friend you can come over and I'll walk you through changing the shattered screen on your phone, but nobody wants to pay good money to get their mobile electronics fixed so fuck em, I hate phones anyway.

Nah, I drive to housecalls with power, no boring toyota/Honda here.

I can take my phone apart its not that hard. You've tried networking and servers?

My job bores the shit out of me. The fact that we're working with a legacy PHP CMS doesn't help, either.

I'd love to change to something more Linux-related or embedded, but the market is almost non-existent in my country. Shit, I live in a 600k city and there's a whopping 7 or 8 companies that are anyhow related to embedded dev.

>here's a whopping 7 or 8 companies that are anyhow related to embedded dev.
You realize that is far more than most cities of your size, right?

Now that's a way to get places. Those came with the LT1, right?
>kentucky
Damn I miss living back east.

I can too, but there's no money in it.

Yes I've "tried" networking and servers. I hated working at the same place everyday, seeing the same people, doing the same tasks. It's not that it wasn't a good job, just not for me. I love problem solving different problems, I love being respected for doing my job, I like when I see gratitude in people's faces and not just a boss that takes me for granted, I like going to new places, I really like the money.

The Gen before did, this one was originally an ls1, then an lq9, now it's a hodgepodge of parts of different engines. Everything has been modified for strength and durability. Highly recommend you get one, a bit more in fuel costs, but totally worth it.

Is data recovery in demand too?

I used to want to make data recovery my main thing, i just never saw it through. Every once in awhile I'll get a DR call, but I haven't invested enough into that type equipment to make that my main focus.

I just got done with a data recovery job right after christmas. I don't have a clean room or anything like that, just undeleting/unformatting mostly. The recent job was a business had a HD crash and their backup was corrupted. THE backup of their past decades job files. Awesome. Took 4 days but made $1180 and about $275 in tips (he'd called around to pro-data recovery places and been quoted $3000+ with no guarantees).

One of the disclaimers I have on the service sheet they sign is that I'm not responsible or liable for data loss that occurs (or you think occurs) while I'm there. Generally I try to stay as far away from people's data as I can.

Michael?

thats why you work out a few days a week, smart one

No. Starts with am M though.

Ah, that's the most recent name on public record for the address.

Do you report income for taxes?

How far off shore and what's your internet speed?

Well damn, trying so hard but still wrong.

Oh yes, my cpa does all that though, all I do is give her all my neatly sorted paperwork, couldn't tell you anything about it.

I was just wondering since you told me about your earnings.
I could have been doing this years ago if it wasn't for my obsession with killing Prison School characters, making me a dysfunctional neet.

I don't know what that is. What's a prison school character?

I don't. Users are nice people and I enjoy every day being here.

I'm honestly struggling with this right now. Sysadmin for a fairly decent sized company. I'm unfortunately the youngest person other than the intern on my team, I'm 27 so not that young, and I feel I've been on the shit end of the stick for years now. I've been with this company for more than 5 years and I still get all the shit work that no one else wants. I started with a few of us in my position but over the years it's been reduced to me and one other guy and this dude is a pain in the ass to work with. He just is rude and is starting to refuse to do his job. I have been looking for other jobs but other than that I don't know what else to do. It's really taking it's toll on me and I've had several people at work and in my personal life pull me aside saying they're worried about me. I've spoken with my boss but he hasn't done anything to help. I feel trapped and I just don't know what to do.

I have to be at work 40 hours per week, but they only give me like 5-10 hours of work to do. It's torturous. I don't have an office and my monitors face the room so I can't even shitpost.

what sort of insurance do you have?

If I had to live in that squalor I'd have died inside already

In the IT field, there's really no such thing anymore as upward career moves. It's all lateral or diagonal, moving from company to company to either take on a higher paying role, or gain more experience.

You've gotta get out of that place. Finding another job is your only solution.

Liability for around 600/yr.

I guess you're just weak, not a problem for me.

Yeah I get that. I'm at a senior level there so that at least makes me look good to other companies. I may try to move to a different department within the same company, maybe like cyber security or something. The benefits at this place are too good to just up and leave unless I get a LOT higher pay than I'm getting now.

>do you ever feel bored or depressed grinding out 40 or more hours of cubicle work
Though I do work in a cube farm (ish), it's generally stimulating and social work.
I work in a Network Ops Center, so a lot of my job involves coordinating with other teams and remote sites, and a fair amount of problem solving.
The pay could be better, but the benefit of the uniform is that they trained me from 0 experience.

I could never be a dev sitting there grinding out code for 40 hours.

It's not the coding that I find boring, it's the problems that I'm solving that I find boring along with the convoluted process of identifying those problems and the proposed solutions. Wasting three hours in a requirements meeting while various managers talk about where they played golf over the weekend is annoying. But that's corporate America and it pays the bills.

Don't bother reading it, it's absolute garbage. It's a Japanese man's attempt at making something as long as bleach, but filled with bdsm jokes and girls losing their clothes for fan service, forced homo eroticism, and some other nasty mind socking crap.
Is the manga where these memes come from:
>Girl staring with a frontal enraged judgmental expression with the bubble speech "disgusting"
>Old man with mustache giving a thumbs up of approval.
>Short bob haired girl making a creepy psychotic smile in her face and saying "we gonna do a lot of kinky shit tonight".
>The same girl making a mindgasm expression with the thought bubble "I'm turning into a fool"
As the story progresses all the characters end up becoming gradually degenerate, lacking any virtue, fighting a worthless cause, and now I wanna murder them for wasting your time, and tricking me into believing i could have turned their school into a nation state and become their president.

I hate the old ass man and his whore daughter the most.

>The benefits at this place are too good to just up and leave
That's part of the balance that you have to strike. Your mental health and quality of life vs pay/benefits. I believe there's no point in being rich and miserable.

I technically don't work in a cubicle but yes, and I was dead inside way before starting to work actually.

I earn a lot of money but I don't really have anything to spend it on.

>I don't really have anything to spend it on
Buy a project car and watch your money disappear.

>I believe there's no point in being rich and miserable.

I won't argue with ya there. I'd much rather be poor and content than rich and miserable. However, it's not really about the pay. I don't really make that much, but the medical benefits are huge. Especially for me, I have a condition that requires me to get meds like every two-three weeks. My meds cost my about $120 a month, sometimes more depending how much I could conserve. When I got medical benefits, that bill went to about $30 a month. Huge. That's not even including things like them paying part of my cell phone and internet bills for working from home. They've got their talons in too deep right now.

Everything has a dollar value man... and honestly those benefits aren't really that huge.
$80/mo difference with the meds, $150/mo for your cell phone + internet... works out to about $3k.
If somewhere else was willing to pay you $4k more than your current job, it would still be a net raise.

>They've got their talons in too deep right now
Until you've seen the way that the DoD does benefits, you don't even know.

If you are still there, It's nice to know there are ways to make money without working in a boring office. I'm glad we got to know your story user.

All the new offices are open plan memes.