Tips to get the most out of plex? just fucking found this amazin software

tips to get the most out of plex? just fucking found this amazin software

i need to catch up on kino

Other urls found in this thread:

rasplex.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You will need storage. LOTS of storage. Currently, the best deal on space is the 16TB WD MyBook on Amazon. You can shuck it and put the two 8TB drives in a computer, if you want, and it doesn't even completely void the warranty.

Plex is pretty decent. I wish the mobile app was better for listening to music but otherwise I'm pretty pleased with it.

>16TB WD MyBook
Fuck why?

OP, just buy a large, well-reviewed internal hard drive and toss it in your case with the others. Duplicate it if you want a backup and maybe add another fan if you want.

I've got two 6TB drives sitting in my tower doing their job.

If you have a smaller machine or you're running off a raspberrypi or something, go with something like this. They work fine so long as you go USB3.

>why?

Because it contains two 8TB WD Reds for below market value. Bare 8TB WD Reds are $310 apiece, but you get two of them in the 16TB MyBook for $500. You can then remove the drives and do whatever you want with them.

and you left this out of your original post because...?

Like suggesting a restaurant but making no mention on what they sell or why you should go.

Filebot is a great tool for renaming media

if you ever have any other issues with Plex not recognizing files, be sure to check the permissions of the directory where the library resides

Just make sure it isn't storing all of its metadata on your OS drive. Even know if you have Plex and it's media installed on drive X: I believe it still stores it's metadata on drive C: by default. I had to manually change this and it freed up like 20gig from my C: and I moved the metadata storage to some trash 1TB HD.

Also, the Plex website is very informative and will walk you through most of your questions. If you have a Roku, try Rarflix and you an stream all your Plex shit for free.

To get everything perfect (thumbnails and naming conventions) is a bit of a learning curve, but it's worth it.

Pic unrelated.

how much space does the metadata take up?

It's pretty easy to stream from your phone to from the VLC app. Just search network for Plex Media server and boom.

My only criticism of Plex is I'm not confident that my neighbors can't connect. The security is meh. I can't figure out how to lock it down. Unfortunately I'm on shared wifi with 2 tennants. So I just want only my approved devices to be able to connect.

I mean it varies, I have about 1.5 TB of stuff (TV, movies, etc.) and the metadata is only about 20 gig. To the people saying you need "a lot" of storage space, I dunno what they mean. You need as much as you want to have if that makes any sense. 20gig of metadata is nothing, but my OS (w10) was on a 128gig SSD, so in that respect it was a lot until I moved it, now I don't even care.

Plex is good about cleaning up after itself too. It purges it's shit weekly or however you wanna schedule it.

Pretty good suggestion

Why do you need so much storage?

Any tips to get away from Plex? They're moving further and further away from catering to my use case. I dont care about all this cloud access garbage and I've recently realized that my in use versions have been deprecated. When testing the new client and server versions they're completely unusable. If my prod ever fails I wont be able to rebuild as it is now so I'm looking to transition now.

So far I'm looking at Kodi but I have to admit that UI/UX is a huge factor for me and I just prefer Plex's standard layout. I've seen that Kodi has a skin feature but I've yet to go down that rabbit hole.

What specifically don't you like? I don't care about remote access either, bit Plex works great for home use.

I tried Kodi and looked at the UI for 10 seconds and uninstalled. Maybe it's good for Linux fags.

I didn't leave it out, you giant retard. I said you could shuck the drives and put them in a computer.

Videos are very big.

Kodi is alright. It's real picky with file-names and some of the media scrapers it use are also kind of picky but it's the best option there is when it comes to home media players. Skinning it is easy as fuck since you literally just download skins from the program itself.
You can also install it without an operating system using OpenElec which kicks ass.

I love Plex myself but I only really started using it because my new TV supports and it makes having an additional computer in my living room redundet.

Honestly my biggest complaints are the least valid. Requiring a centralized login is something that seriously breaks it for me. As far as I understand the latest client, Plex Media Player, (all platforms) requires you to sign in and authenticate. There is no possible way to bypass the centralized log in and search for your Plex server locally, even when the plex server has Authentication turned off.

I know I'm being unreasonable but it still bothers me.

I wish Plex had more options for arranging libraries.
For example, I want my movies in alphabetical order, but when I get to Star wars I either want them in release order or in episode order. Same with Harry Potter.
Is there any way to do that?

Kodi isn't a replacement for Plex, at least not for the server. Kodi is a player/client at its core. You can always switch to Emby. I've moved away from Plex in favor of Emby like 1 year ago. I only used the servers from both sides, so I don't know about the clients, overall my impression is that Plex tries to make things "simple" and does succeed to a certain degree compared to Emby, but Emby provides more flexibility and is generally more configurable. If you want the Apple mentality stick with Plex, if you're willing to work on your library and setup a bit give Emby a good, honest try.

My use case currently involves keeping my library/playback status synced between multiple devices, basically. I've got Kodi with the Emby plugin in the living room, on my desktop I use MPC-HC, various portable devices use Emby's built-in web interface and for remote playback I connect to my own VPN and use the. Plex didn't allow me to easily set everything up quite like this in a sane manner, the Kodi plugin wasn't as well integrated with Kodi itself and getting playback in an external player like MPC-HC is a huge PITA. Plex did have kinda better scanning, but it still fucked up fairly often and I came to the conclusion that the only sane way to do it is to have everything named in a nice, easy to parse format.

That sounds completely valid, I wouldn't want to be forced into authenticating against some remote server just to play video from my own, local NAS. That's retarded. It wasn't like that last I used Plex, have they really done something so stupid? I swear you could find a local server simply by being on the same network.

Kodi with a good skin is great. Plex likes to transcode the fuck out of EVERYTHING because it lacks proper decoding abilities so it's a no go for my use case. There's zero reason to leave on your computer for transcoding.

>Maybe it's good for Linux fags
It's good for people who at the very least have the attention span to find the Skins menu before they sperg out.

Raspberry pi doesn't have USB 3 though

Ya I guess if you're editing and what not.

I have the same issue I guess I never thought of it. I guess you could name it a custom name and use a custom thumbnail, thus, keeping it in whatever order you want and keeping the thumbnail.

But there's gotta be a better workaround, I tend to make things harder than they should be.

>It's real picky with file-names and some of the media scrapers it use are also kind of picky but it's the best option there is when it comes to home media players
Use filebot to rename your shit.

>So far I'm looking at Kodi but I have to admit that UI/UX is a huge factor for me and I just prefer Plex's standard layout. I've seen that Kodi has a skin feature but I've yet to go down that rabbit hole.
Kodi is a Video player. Plex is a media streaming server. I personally use Kodi as a client to stream content from my Plex server (via PlexKodiConnect plugin). I think that a decent Kodi skin is nice and allows for more functionality than Plex (ability to play trailer for videos in your library is nice). However, I did set up port forwarding to be able to use the Plex web client from anywhere.

>I know I'm being unreasonable but it still bothers me.
No, you're not being unreasonable. I agree with you 100%. However, there is nothing stopping people from taking the plex media server source code and running with it. We could make an open source plex client and remove the centralized authentication completely.

I agree that this would be nice. I just list movies in alphabetical order, and then if I want to watch star wars movies, I select the Star Wars collection and sort by release date.

>However, I did set up port forwarding to be able to use the Plex web client from anywhere.

Did you by Plex pro or whatever? Or are you bypassing that...I guess I mean, how did you do that?

No, I did not buy Plex pro. I just went into my router settings and set it up port forwarding so I could access that port on the server running it. Then I access it via web browser by visiting my ip address on the port that I have it configured to forward. (ie. 127.0.0.1:32400)

If you have an un-used raspberry pi lying around you can install rasplex on it and essentially make any dumb tv a smart tv. You then need to plug in a usb keyboard or get a wireless remote of some sort though. But what I did is actually bought the plex android app because it can be used to remote control any plex client currently connected to your plex server. It's better than spending £10 on pic related.

rasplex.com/

Remote access is available with the free version bro. You just need the pass to get full playback via the app and to allow downloads remotely.

Dude unless they are on you wireless network how can they possibly connect?

I have an old laptop laying around with and i3 and 4gig ram, is that enough to stream ~25GB movies?

Actually, if you buy the app then you don't need a pass. I'm pretty sure the only thing the pass is good for is uploading shit from mobiles and backing stuff up to the cloud.

So my landlord controls the router, and us two other families connect to it. I do have a booster/repeater up here. Not sure if that changes it.

So for example if one if the tennants are on the network, and the search available servers, they could find my server and see the content. There isn't a login or anything associated with it. How do if fix that? If I stop Plex from broadcasting, will my currently connected devices remain connected? I know Plex has a menu where you can disconnect connected devices. So maybe if I stop broadcasting, disconnect devices that u do to want, I'll be good.

tldr; I just want authentication to connect on a shared wifi network.

Go to settings > server > DNLA then untick enabled.

That will mean that your device wont show as a network location, like on win explorer for example.

Now the only was someone on your network could find it would be by typing yourip:32400 into browser and they would still need the password. And thats provided you kept the default port.

You would have to do it manually, but, you could change the sort titles for the movies you want in a different order, e.g. "Star Wars 1", "Star Wars 2."

Because he assumed you'd have the deductive skills to conclude "hmm, I guess the MyBook is cheaper than two raw drives or it wouldn't be worth it"?

Learn to logical conclusion faggot.

Thanks for validating my opinion if nothing else. I feel majorly autistic about this because no one else seems to care.

As far as I understand the latest builds, the latest server you CAN disable authentication, but this only affects the web client (accessed via a web browser). The latest client requires you to authenticate. I BELIEVE you can set your client preferences after logging in to play directly over your LAN, even disabling WAN access, but it will still require authentication.

I thought the server wasnt open source? It used to be that the Plex Home Theater Player (?), as it was based on XMBC, was open source and the server was closed source. Both client and server are closed source as I understand it right now.

I still have the old server and old clients installed, but do not have the installers. I'd be tempted to stay where I'm at and instead try to locate installers for my specific versions incase I ever need to rebuild but the entire reason I was looking into this was because I was performing research on updating because of a lot of bugs I'm experiencing with playback. Plus the new UI looks better.

I see, thanks for the advice and pointing me in the right direction. I didnt realize Kodi wasnt a server that meta-indexed for cross devices which is definitely a feature I want to keep. I'll have to put in some research in on Emby.