Not trying to be too much of a memeing fuckface here...

Not trying to be too much of a memeing fuckface here, but does anybody else look at how thin laptops are nowadays and think, "Man, how powerful could that thing be if they just gave it an extra half an inch?" I get that the average consumer now wants a sleek looking notebook, but do you guys ever think the market will swing back towards function before form?

I hope that someday the consumer will prioritize user serviceable machines, lots of connectivity, and bring back all the mouse controls that were on older laptops.

>does anybody else look at how thin laptops are nowadays and think, "Man, how powerful could that thing be if they just gave it an extra half an inch?"
Not really, because power isn't directly proportional to thickness and laptops that fulfill that requirement already exist and will continue to exist for a long time, the reason you don't use one is because you're too much of a jew to shell out for it, or, well, gee, a portable that skimps on portability isn't very useful, now, is it?

Fags who think everything is a MacBook or a subnotebook are even worse than the fags that push them.

Of course power isn't proportional to thickness, you're taking what I'm saying too literally. I also fail to see how anything that is an inch thick or less can have it's portability be significantly improved by making it thinner. Length and width? Sure, but not thickness.

I mean to say that it seems like the industrial designers have too much control over the final product. The actual technical designers seem to be doing the bidding of the artists and ergonomics is suffering for it.

>"Man, how powerful could that thing be if they just gave it an extra half an inch?"
how much could they do with that extra inch tho. I have a relatively thick laptop and i have almost no benefit over a thin laptop, other than 2 extra usb ports and the possibility of having an optical drive (which i'll never install)

Better cooling for higher end components.

>Of course power isn't proportional to thickness, you're taking what I'm saying too literally.
Maybe, but that's how it seems. What are you going to do with that extra half an inch? Shove in a better, more expensive but still ultimately weak as shit mobile chip that can't even outclass mid-range desktop hardware from six years ago? Some more batteries when you can already get 8-10 hours? There is a retarded pursuit for thinner hardware in some areas (pretty much anything in the 13-14''+ arena really) but looking at these kinds of systems through the lens of pure performance is kind of ridiculous, they'll always be shit and they'll always be a spectacularly poor value from that angle. Ultraportables are meant to be as portable as possible, they're meant to accomplish typical "productive" tasks like information processing, internet access, and anything else less than demanding in areas where you can't bring your work with you otherwise.

Reducing thickness ultimately doesn't impact physical portability (widescreen cancer makes that shit harder to use in a plane than a quarter of an inch ever will) but it can reduce weight and improve the general convenience of carrying something like that around. It's not life-or-death, but it's something I've found appreciable that makes for a nicer experience.

All the time. Laptops just depress me at this point. I'm getting a mobile server instead.

>how much could they do with that extra inch tho
Triple the battery capacity, thus meaning they could focus more on larger innovations in processing power rather than energy efficiency.

>"Man, how powerful could that thing be if they just gave it an extra half an inch?
every girl ever

>Triple the battery capacity, thus meaning they could focus more on larger innovations in processing power rather than energy efficiency.
Yeah, fuck those stupid hipsters and their (((efficiency))), I want to play Minecraft at 200FPS and castrate myself while watching Anime in bed with a poorly cooled desktop chip just like the good old days.

The creative professional is here

It's a laptop.

They'd do better to have it a little thicker for passive cooling of a lower powered CPU.

Yes

Why don't you guys get a clevo?
Isn't it exactly what you want?

this.

>no SCSI

Now how much would that thing cost?

A whole lot, which shouldn't matter if you already paid for a MacBook "Pro"

Honestly, I'm waiting for an actual revolution in laptop cooling. If I could get a Latitude with incredible cooling, I'd be set for life or for as long as I can make the thing last. I don't do GAYMING with it but being able to play FTL or actual old games (Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, Stronghold, Shogo MAD) during downtime without WHIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ would be great.

I wonder why there is no unibody Macbook where the CPU cooler is actually the cnc shaped aluminium enclosure, directly being in contact with the CPUs cooling lid.

>does anybody else look at how thin laptops are nowadays and think, "Man, how powerful could that thing be if they just gave it an extra half an inch?"
Not really, because it would eat into the already-shit battery life imposed by battery tech which literally hasn't fucking improved in what seems like decades.
I do often fantasize about what good batteries would permit though.

Fan noise triggers me so hard.

>all that empty space and only three (3) USB ports
I'd rather just buy a fucking shitbook at this point

The tech is fine, a 10 amp hour battery is smaller than a deck of playing cards

But they won't put more batteries in, because, again, thintoddlers

with that logic small laptops shouldn't even exist as phones do many times better.

fuck off.

please let this be fake. good god.

>Man, how powerful could that thing be if they just gave it an extra half an inch?
Weird, my wife keeps saying that...

>with that logic small laptops shouldn't even exist as phones do many times better.
But the thing is that they don't, phones are gimped shit with garbage interfaces that are anti-productive by nature, and there are a lot of clear advantages to using an ultraportable over a shitty phone depending on your use case.

Besides, what logic are you even talking about? Not treating small laptops as high-performance devices because they'll never, /ever/ be?

Memepad tablet was one of the worst laptops made even though it's thicc

It's really not. By good batteries I mean something that could power my desktop for a week under full load and charges in 3 minutes.

form is a function.

That kind of all-or-nothing argument is pointless. That's not how progress works.

Point is, we have 120% of the technology we need to massively increase the battery capacities of mobile devices- right now, but manufacturers are restricted by ridiculous aesthetic demands by technological retards