/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

t.fuelr.at/snickiz
github.com/conformal/spectrwm#readme
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for *BRAPPPFT*

>mfw there are freetards in this very thread using google botnet captcha to post on a closed source proprietary imageboard software

>mfw you're right
>mfw not sure if that is worse than buying a Sup Forums pass

Anyone had any experience using spectrewm? If you did, how was it? Good? Bad?

ok apt-get is slow as fuck idk wtf i should just an hero nobody knows the fix not even google

>slow as fuck

But does it actually get done or does it just hang forever?

Wew lads.
Looking for a hi-dpi friendly DE like gnome. Any ideas? the laptop has a touch screen, which I like to utilize some times as well.

I'm pretty sure that Stallman's said free websites miss the point of free software by being server-controlled anyway, but I can't find it right now.

change where you're downloading the lists from

You will never be a GNU/Linux pro if you use qwerty.

This is a fact.

change your mirror you dumbass.

apt picks the closest mirror to you so you can have the least latency/biggest speeeds when downloading from repos.

if the mirror shits the bed you need to change it.

I used it, but only for a little while, didn't do too much tinkering, but I think it's a pretty good.
The configuration is straightforward and it's much simpler than i3 for example.
Definetely give it a try, now that you've reminded me, I might give it another go as well.

?

I don't give a rats ass what that hippie said!

it gets done it hangs at the "connecting to blah blah blah" but it hangs for about 2 minutes before it goes through. i think its my router but theres nothing i can do because its a leased router and it doesnt have an option to allow all traffic on port 80, and it might not even be that because i tried ftp.us.debian and ftp.ca.debian and it all does the same thing, and the wierd part is sometimes itll not hang at all itll just go through

t.fuelr.at/snickiz

How straightforward are we talking about? i3 has those damned dotfiles that are OK, awesome requires some basic lua knowledge the last time I tried it.

I understand that configuring a WM is a lot different than a DE but I would like to make one look somewhat decent (not trying to rice here) without needing a physics degree, so to speak.

What's a good Arch based distro to install to USB? I already tried Mangjaro 16.10.3 and it shits itself trying to boot, shits itself before it even hits the desktop/login and never boots to either of the two.

Just want it for persistent USB install to run off my Chromebook on USB.

Try Antergos?

fluxbox

there are devs that still hunt-and-peck

For manually using the AUR, when I am updating something is it enough to just git pull or do I have to run makepkg again? Guessing I need to do makepkg again but just wanted to check. Will I lose my config files?

>i think its my router but theres nothing i can do because its a leased router and it doesnt have an option to allow all traffic on port 80
Wait. Your router only allows some traffic on port 80? I've never seen that before.

If it is properly setup to use git then it will base its package version on the git commit.Just go to the folder and makepkg again

If you're looking to get your feet wet use Bunsen Labs. It has a very polished Openbox experience OOB

Consider trying out one of these nice distibutions of GNU and/or the Linux kernel
> GuixSD
> NixOS
> GoboLinux
> Gentoo
> Funtoo
> Exherbo
> Source Mage
> Slackware
> CRUX
> Void
> Devuan
> Debian GNU/kFreeBSD
or these fine Unices
> FreeBSD
> OpenBSD
> NetBSD
> DragonFlyBSD
> MINIX 3
and remember: keep an open mind.

>Will I lose my config files?
No, because makepkg -i will call pacman -U, which is strict about not losing user-modified config files.

>and remember: keep an open mind.

>you should be an absolute assfaggot to deal with when discussing software because someone's quote
god how much I want you Sup Forumsedditors gone

thanks

Who are you quoting

name one

What distro has the premier KDE experience, lads?

Gentoo

Using a pass is even worse. Every single post you make is tied to your pass ID which is in turn tied to your IRL identity through your bank details.

KDE Neon is basically built around KDE.

I have a quick question. I own a GTX 770 and I'm currently using Windows 7 as my operating system. What would be the best way to get the latest drivers for my particular graphics card?

I'm going to be buying a pci-e pass-through compatible motherboard/cpu in the future for some games, but is there a best way to get the most out of my GTX 770 in a Linux environment.
Thank you.

I looked at my logs today and I notice I have a lot of these Avahi errors:

Jan 16 14:20:45 anonme dbus[441]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.Avahi' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service'
Jan 16 14:20:45 anonme dbus[441]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service not found.
Jan 16 14:20:46 anonme dbus[441]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.Avahi' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service'
Jan 16 14:20:46 anonme dbus[441]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service not found.

I check and I do have it installed:

1 extra/avahi 0.6.32-3 [installed]
Service Discovery for Linux using mDNS/DNS-SD -- compatible with Bonjour

How do I get rid of these errors? Anyone know?

>Ubuntu

Does it use that patched version of Firefox from openSUSE without the godawful GTK filepicker?

github.com/conformal/spectrwm#readme
>It has sane defaults and does not require one to learn a language to do any configuration.

Repostan:
So what exactly do I need to backup so I can move my current setup to another system? I have some stuff from /etc/, /var/, and ~/, but don't know what else would I need.

/usr/

Any decent distro will have the latest stable drivers for that Nvidia in their repositories.

Fedora only requires the addition of the non-free repo (takes a few seconds to add this repo) in order to use the recommended proprietary Nvidia blob.

Checked and I hate Ubuntu shit too but you have to admit that KDE Neon is built with and focuses on only KDE...

Bitch just backup whatever is in /home, reinstall the the same distribution, reinstall the software you used and you'll get literally the result you wanted.

No fucking clue why would anyone go through the hassle of backing up root if you used a generic distribution that's still available, up and running.

every bit of data that's relevant is in /home.

>relevant
/etc/*.conf

>/etc/
System-wide configurations.
You care about user configurations, which are located in /home

System-wide configurations will be restored in the exact same state when you reinstall the OS

He is moving from one system to a new one.He will have none of these files there, as it is a new system.
>reading comprehension
Lern it

I'm guessing I should avoid "gaming" distros.
What are some good distros in your opinion that I can test on live usb?

Everything expect /proc, /run and so on. It's a lot easier to just rsync the whole lot over than just parts. Then you just have to update fstab and you're done.

And remember, if it's not backed up, you are willing to lose it.

"gaming" distros? Que?

>tfw still no thumbnails
What the fuck are they doing?

I have no idea, sorry.

>install filepicker that enables icon view

Steam OS and such.

>tfw use Manjaro but tell people I use Arch

xD

Ahhh OK.

Well, you can try out Fedora, it's a good OS and like I said earlier you only need to add the one repo to get hassle-free Nvidia driver installation.

You can also try Antergos and see how an Arch-based distro works for you.

Recommend me one, or at least name one.

>tfw I tell people I use Arch and I actually do use Arch

how's it feel to be a KEK

Finally got PCSX2 to work , so long suckers!

*crickets*

XFS or f2fs for flash operating system?

i've been using arch for about a year, but wifi is still finicky for me. there's no way i'm ever using debian again, so i guess i'll be going back to either fedora or xubuntu soon, although i'm not too excited about it.
are there any other distros you would recommend (besides gentoo and solus)?

What wifi card you have and what chipset? What do you mean by "finicky"?

Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN and Mobile Intel GM965 Express according to some specs page. finicky meaning that it loses connection frequently (which doesn't happen on other computers of mine) and will only connect to like 4 or 5 networks even when i know 100% i have the correct information

ext4

>tfw manjaro causes more issues than Arch

shoulda just used arch-anywhere desu senpai

Man, I would just buy a TP-LINK WN722-N (my wifi card) and just disable the others. My card works great and if you wanna play hacker man it can be put into monitoring mode and shit like that.

Hey guys,

Just bought a new XPS13 and I plan on running GNOME (Wayland) but I am stuck between Debian Testing/Sid and Fedora 25, don't have too much experience with either

fedora because the devs actually do their job

Has their been issues with Debian? Excuse my ignorance

does anyone know the name of the cli typing tutor thing?

I use KDE on Arch. I don't know about premier experience, but it seems pretty decent to me.

I need a gnu/linux distro that I can boot from a flash drive, but will run completely in RAM so I can remove the drive after booting.
What should I try?

I just fired up VMWare Player for the first time in months so I could revisit the bland delights of Linux (I am a Wincuck and proud of it). This time, though, I had my PDF of The Linux Bible open next to it so I could learn some basic introductory shit. And that is why I have come here to ask...

Does CentOS have fucking ANYTHING on it? Pretty much everything I tried, was not found. "user, see what file manager you have in Fedora!" It looks like I don't have either of the ones listed. "user, try these cool applications! They're in Fedora, but hey, the differences are minimal!" Nope, I don't have a single one.

Is CentOS just a complete desert? I couldn't even download shit because I couldn't make the virtual machine connect to the Internet.

Puppy Linux

gtypist

many thanks

thanks user

Is there a better wifi frontend than network manager? nmcli works like a charm but is a bit of a hassle because I'm stupid, but nmapplet has been buggy as hell for me

I'm sick of Linux and am trying to install Windows on a bootable USB stick using Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial. Is there a method that actually works at accomplishing this or do I need to buy blank DVDs? I've tried 3 or 4 different methods and none of them work.

CentOS is not Fedora, did you download and install a minimal CentOS? If you did you will not have any of the GUI mentioned in the Linux Bible, which is a terrible book.

my laptop (chromebook 15) overheats and shuts down when I'm playing duskers

is there anything I can do to make it throttle before it turns itself off?

Sorry, I forgot to specify that I'm trying to install Windows 10.

WinUSB doesn't work. dd doesn't work. Using the Disks utility in Ubuntu to write the iso to the stick doesn't work.

Basically, Debian stable gets all the attention from Debians security team, Testing and Unstable don't really get touched and have a constant stream of security bugs. Hence why they recommend the stable branch.

Fedora is more up to date than Debian Testing/Sid and has a dedicated security team. This means you get the latest software with the assurance of a dedicated security team.

The only negative to Fedora is you will need to add RPM Fusion (a third party repo) to get access to multimedia software and codecs, this is a considerable downside, as you can not know the legitimacy of the package you have downloaded.

Hope this helps, friend

So I recently installed gentoo and it's been great so far.
I'm going with dwm for my window manager since it's what I'm used to. However, it seems to be having a hard time rendering? The windows (in floating mode) just hop across the screen at seemingly 24fps when I drag them. Web browser scrolling is choppy.

i3 and awesome don't do this,
what gives?

Do you have a compositor?

should I? i3 and awesome don't use compositing, do they?

those low-end WMs expect you to install compton I think

For some reason thought using the AUR was tricky so I've always used Yaourt. It's so easy to do manually

How can i creampie him?

What is the advantage of doing it manually?

So I installed and ran compton. The other WMs are the same as usual, but dwm is still choppy. It's got shadows and effects so I know compton is running, but it's still choppy.

I don't know man, I run gnome/wayland which is basically the opposite of your setup...

You could try running wayland and sway if you like i3.

Why does the i3 status get cut off and how to fix it? Pic related is top right corner of my screen

>installing my Windows 10 iso in a VM just to be able to create a bootable USB with the iso using Rufus

Linux