Hi Sup Forums

Hi Sup Forums

Yesterday I cracked open my y510p to add more RAM and saw a SSD 'slot' I guess? Weird since it has none and the available slot already has a second GPU (that doesn't work but that's another story...) It does have a 1tb HDD opposite this supposed 'slot'.
I thought I knew the components but now I feel stupid, help.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2
ebay.com/itm/152348197017
ebay.com/itm/172486403352
twitter.com/AnonBabble

m.2

Oh this is sweet. Thanks.
Now if only I got the fucking GPU to work, the ultrabay one.

Interesting, pics?

That takes a m.2 42mm ssd.
Did you update the firmware for your ultrabay gpu? You need that in order for it to work for 8.1 and above.

Source: Owner of y510p with dual gpu working.

i believe it is actually mSATA

mSATA is left
M.2 is right

see: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

I don't have any on me and I'm using the computer now.
This laptop has a customizable slot called ultrabay. It came with a dvd drive that I replace for a OEM 750M GPU. The computer came with Windows 8 but I immediately downgraded to 7. I though that's why the GPU doesn't work so I tried windows 8 and had the same problem. Official drivers don't work and Lenovo support is a bunch of hopeless pajeets

I did on Windows 8 and it still doesn't work. All I wanted was to get this working on win7, can't stand 8

That's very cool, I'm looking at YouTube videos of it right now.
Hows the performance of the 750M? How old is that laptop anyways? Also, how much did that second GPU cost? Thanks.

Hope you get it working.

it seems mSATA, not m.2. m.2 has 3 pin sets on the connection.

What's your two gpu firmware version? Does device manager regconised both gpu?

No. It's m2, look at the mounting hole.

I bought it in November 2013. I use Adobe CC a lot and have a lot of games installed. After researching for weeks I found that this pc had the best bang for buck. I had to ship it front the US because it's not available in Australia. The battery came fried, I'm up to the third now. The screen is 1080p in 15.6 inches which was unusual at the time, the keyboard is pretty cool, track pad is shit. The bottom cover is brushed plastic that doesn't inspire much confidence, some screws disappeared.
Overall I'm quite happy. I want to play Witcher 3 with a decent framerate so I'm considering updating but now I see this laptop still has some potential left. Performance wise, I can manage to play 2015 titles, the framerate isn't the best but it runs. Gets pretty hot but that's normal, never shut down from overheating like my old HP did.

Oh the second GPU got discontinued so I found it for an arm and a leg from Hong Kong. And it doesn't fucking work, no returns either. 500$ because I also needed a new PSU.

Quite interesting.

Ouch.

Device manager only recognises the default 750M and the Intlel on board one. Tried to explain to a pajeet that I wanted to install a second GPU and he said 'oh you already have a second one, the onboard one'

Does it shows up on nvidia inspector?If so what is the firmware version the second gpu has. If not i'll need to find that firmware file i used to get it working

Kek, pajeets

I almost bought a Y510 but got a Y50 (non 4k models) instead and swapped in a 840 pro.

didn't the Y510 require a different power brick to run a second GPU in the ultrabay?

good luck OP, free bump i guess.

Yes it needs a 170watt psu to run.
I was running my y510 sli'ed with the default 120 watt psu for close to 3 years before i went to the service centre and got a mb replacement and a spanking new psu.

Yeah a super brick I also had to get.

Not on nvidia inspector either. Could it be just borked?
The fan works so it's like I have an expensive fan cooling my right hand, feels nice but I'd rather have it working.

Are the new YSeries good? I'm thinking of upgrading to a Razer Blade, the thought itself fills me with shame

Oh and I'm using win7. I tried 8 and it doesn't work either with the official firmware from lenovo

Try disabling IGP in your BIOS

Will do.
Is win7 going to be a problem? It came with 8 by default.

Doubt so, the setting should just force it to use your 750m on your mb all the time.

What about the firmware for 750M SLI? I don't think there is official one for win7

Those are Drivers, Firmware are lower level than that and you shouldn't have to touch it. Any recent nvidia driver would do.

I'll try this once I finish work, fingers crossed

Uh can't find IGP in the BIOS

I have one of these. There is supposed to be an 8-16gb SSD in that slot which was originally intended to be a caching drive using the Intel software. The idea was that it would run along with the 1TB platter drive and make it seem as if you were running an SSHD with improved speed and loading times. It worked well for a while but I figured I could do better so I replaced it with a 128GB SSD and use that as boot and the platter drive as data.

Looks like you need to mod the bio in order for that setting to show. Thanks lenovo.

Not sure if there's any other way to resolve it, maybe just disable optimus/ delete IGP driver.

Oh yeah I remember, virtual SSD or something. Sounds shitty.

I just modded the BIOS and the second GPU roared to life!

Only to get this message at boot, pic related

m.2 is a form factor
the other one is PCI

Had to remove the GPU so it'll boot.
What if I shove it back in now that it's on?

those laptops have to be unlocked via the bios in order to get those to work

BRUH
The hardware you bought isn't part of the whitelist of allowed hardware that will work with your laptop. did this come direct from lenovo? if so I would contact them about it. if not well, good luck getting any internal wifi or video card to work without getting it direct from lenovo. I think that policy sucks but I doubt it will ever change any time soon.

Don't do that that might kill you MB, PCI Ex isn't hot swappable. Also, are you sure your model is a 750M GPU and not the 755M GPU? Both must be the same or it will not work.
He has already modded his bios.

Kinda like I am not allowed to buy Japanese domestic parts from Mugen for my car here in America. Not on the whitelist.

750M and 755M same series. Should work.

I know it's a terrible idea. It's empty now, might put the dvd drive back so dust doesn't get in.

Not direct from them but looks legit as.
It had become discontinued when I bought it, came from Hong Kong, they said it was authentic.

And the other side

Yeah they are both 750M. The place I bought it from even asked me for my serial number so they could check and send me the right one. Nice people but no returns.

GN36...????
That doesn't seem like the correct card....
pic is mine.

AWWW FUCK
lemme check speccy

GN36 is for Lenovo y500p (GT 650m)
GT750M5 is for Lenovo y510p
The CHINK has striked again.

FUCK
Well this sucks ass, does anyone want a free GPU?

OR how much do you think I can sell it for?

I'll buy this one now, I'm mad

Also thank you very much for your help guys, you are the best

Well now you know if you want an SLI for y510p you need the GT750M5 ....

Both of my GPU matches your subvendor number.

Shit I meant buy the GT750M5

Wait you mean youre trying to do mobile sli with two 750m's?

I dont think the mid tier mobile nvidia gpus support it, or if your power brick can supply the extra wattage needed

It should recognize it though, definitely try installing either the newest ultrabay drivers or find ones meant for the ultrabay gpu adapter

The laptop itself also may not support that many pcie lanes to even run the gpu if it even sees it

I'm already on ebay

I have a 170W PSU already.
Turns out the chinks sold me the wrong model, that's why it's not working

What are you blabbling about? Y510p has "Ultrabay" which allows you to have gt750m SLI so long as you have a 170 watt PSU. Heck i ran it with a 120 watt PSU for more than 2 years (It bsod under intensive gaming) until i got a replacement.

Going to sell that gn36 paperweight.
How much? 150$?

I saw a GT750M5 on Aliexpress
Is it trustworthy? The chinks already fucked me once.

Buy a bottle of lube too, just in case.

Does it have a custom PCB or a MXM slot/card inside? If it's MXM just get the card you need.

It's custom PCB unfortunately.
I don't think MXM GT750m exist anyway.

custom

It will hurt a lot...

There's one on eBay US for $175 (232AUD). Sucks you're in Emu land.

Them import rates, shipping

Can't find that one. Gib link

ebay.com/itm/152348197017

wew
10/10

kek
for real
ebay.com/itm/172486403352

You're looking for "GT750M5"

Thank you.
I'll buy it tomorrow morning.

Do you know how to make a screenshot?

Har har
I was phone posting because I got banned. I was also at work so this was faster.

That's gonna be one expensive laptop, you could probably get a better one used for the sum of those things, but I know the rush of doing these things too, it's cool to get shit working.

>I was phone posting because I got banned.
Desktop threads?