How hard would it be to engineer a GPU for an M.2 slot? It could be sold as an upgrade to laptops

How hard would it be to engineer a GPU for an M.2 slot? It could be sold as an upgrade to laptops.

If you can fit it on an m.2 card. You can fit it on the CPU. CPU at least has a heatsink.

it would HAVE to be a pcie m.2 slot, not a sata m.2 slot.
and then you would have to figure out how to power and cool the fucker because m.2 isn't rated for that much current

>and then you would have to figure out how to power and cool the fucke
Molex plug on the other end?

>Upgrade for laptops
>Molex

>taking a shit
>read this
>laugh so hard the poop flows faster

Thanks user

>tfw taking a shit while reading this

>tfw thinking about taking a shit bc I read this

Just use a m.2 to pcie riser

It would have to be so low power it'd be worthless they'd need to design it in such a way a heat sink makes contact

It also doesn't have the power delivery to drive a decent GPU

They tried something like this in the past with MXM. The problem was that every GPU/laptop combo required a specific heatsink, which greatly limited options unless you were willing to do some literal hardware hacking.

But this is wrong

Molex is the brand that makes the PC-power you call Molex cable.

That's like saying the Chevrolet car, posting a picture of a Vette when you meant the Chevrolet Beat.

No, OP the fastest M.2 is currently reading 3.2GB/s, regular GDDR3 at 384-bit reads around 73-76GB/s unless you overclock the VRAM.

>Molex is the brand that makes the PC-power you call Molex cable.
>
>That's like saying the Chevrolet car, posting a picture of a Vette when you meant the Chevrolet Beat.

and yet everyone calls it molex, americans call tissues 'kleenex' and australians call adhesive bandages 'band aids'.

This happens everywhere, just accept it.

Molex < crispy motherboard

May as well just get an apu

I'm sorry you are wrong, here in Australia we do not refer to out adhesive bandages as 'band aids'. We refer to them as 'Bitch Stickers'.

Molex are a very specific kind of connectors made first by Molex.
You idiot's just don't know the difference.

They still use MXM.

m.2 is for storage, accept it, there's MXM for GPUs

Show HN: My startup is making an M2 based GPU for laptop upgrades it works within the standard Molex power adaptor.

We anticipate wide adoption despite the fact Molex can carry only 20 watts of power vs the 75 watts of power PCIe.

We also offer a stylish heatsink that only adds 1 inch of thickness to an existing thickpad.

Finally the driver is written in house in node.js with a focus on hackability and open source. The GPU never down throttles so a ThinkPads battery is reduced to 25minutes.

> Finally the driver is written in house in node.js
That's where I realized something is off.
> the fastest M.2 is currently reading 3.2GB/s
That's the NAND issue, isn't it? OP is right about M.2 being a PCIEx4 slot. Worst case scenario, we'll get another EXP GDC for M.2.