Why are Microsoft designers so bad?

Why are Microsoft designers so bad?

Because they have no taste.

Lack of anime perhaps?

Do they not hire designers?

This is software that costs hundreds of dollars. Then again, Microsoft never had their own design language. They tried with Windows Phone to make this disgusting lowercase text based thing, but it looked awful so they changed it.

YEAH NOW ITS JUST ALL UPPERCASE ALL THE TIME

MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!

You can throw money at it, but you can't buy A E S T H E T I C

In the Task Manager alone you have this horrendous mixture of Segoe UI and Tahoma; in other places you still see MS Sans Serif mixed in, which has been around since the Windows 3.0 days. Nothing says 'We just don't give a shit' quite like Microsoft non-design.

Because they know their users are fags. They have third party software to use. Mac and Linux fags live in their sad little lives with limited software so they only have the OS to look at.

and yet W10 is the most aesthetic OS out there right now

Why can't Windows look like this?

Finder sucks

Calm down, joyce. There are bigger things to worry about than your iron matching your stove.

They hire some brilliant people who do amazing things ...and then fuck off to other jobs without documenting shit, even stuff that is recent. The guy who coded the new Control Panel? He doesn't work for Microsoft anymore and allegedly nobody knows how the control panel works while it's apparently more complicated than the old one for no reason.

This will be the fate of all software for a long time. At least until AI can write competent programs that humans can understand, then the human coders will be replaced and all OSes will be beautifully functional and cohesive forever.

Except Linux.

Because even though Microsoft has been trying to copy Mac OS for 30 years, they don't understand WHY it functions like it does or why its design decisions work because Microsoft is composed entirely of autistic engineers and soulless corporate marketing drones.

a microsoft programmer in irc. he told us why the software is shitty

an irc chat log, totally legit!!!

dude
this is the internet

That's easy. Because years of development and changes in the overall visual design of the operating system, but not all components. So for example, they might add a new add a new style of icons in a new version of Windows, but certain parts of Windows might still use the older style, which clashes. This is before we even get into the crazy bullshit Window devs do/use to do for backwards compatiblity, new doubt there is some some stupid program out there that expects that stuff to be a certain way ( in like perhaps the file browser, for example )

There's a parameter in the windows Main function (meaning the entry point for every windows executable) that has been NULL since the literally 16-bit 3.1 days

Does anyone have that image of the different context menus in Windows 10?

At least they can design a kernel

Not one that can remain stable for six months without rebooting.

shit I kek'd so hard my sides are hurting now

I don't care if it's fake or not that was a memetastic read

low quality baitposting

they all left after 95, there was no reason to continue after creating perfection

Time to suck the dick of leterally every other operating system thread.

You otherfags need to get over yourselfs

ok, on redundant information, what's at the bottom of that window is on every single tab, you went to the one tab where it would become redundant info, and 25% ram =/= 2.03gb used

on the blue glass, do you really want all of the ui to be see through? are toy retarded?

and third, are you complaining about two different programs (or at least two entirely different uses of the same program) not having the exact same ui and instead different uis better used by the different applications?

Why is Steve Jobs dead?

Wouldn't go with the NWO plot to stick iAMT botnet into his product.

The biggest problem with Windows is consistency in the UI, with OS X you get one settings cog that contains all systemwide opions, with Windows you get a control panel in the new style which doesn't contain all the options that you get with the old legacy one, it has been such a mess since Windows 8 that they haven't implemented any UI consistency because they've adopted the legacy control panel due to the new one not being fit for purpose, I mean, is resolution really an advanced option in display? Really?

That's is actually true. I've used an apple laptop for a year and I had to install some addon for the finder to work right.

The best thing MS ever did with Windows is Start menu and taskbar.
Well, Start menu went to shit.

Because Microsoft needs Apple

This

Don't use Windows 10 or you'll have a seizure.

>Do they not hire designers?
They hire vapid bullshitters with hipster glasses and Macintosh computers.

what's so innovative about a menu
it doesn't even work - major problems with it's indexing

Fucking gold

Finder won't even tell you basic metadata about files, I'm surprised it can show thumbnails.

All good designers were hired by Apple.

Reminder Microsoft hired the designer of the original Macintosh icons to design the icons for Windows 3 (since apparently there were no other designers in the world)

When will all GUIs finally become render-based?

As in, actually drawing the entire GUI content through OpenGL and not having to rely on m*cr*s*ft's absolutely shit and inefficient controls?

>Windows 10 UI was designed in power point

I'd believe it.

press command + I

>ads
kys

We can't touch named pipes. Let's add %INTERNAL_NOTIFICATION_SYSTEM%! And let's make it inconsistent with virtually every other named NT primitive.
We can't expose %INTERNAL_NOTIFICATION_SYSTEM% to the rest of the world because we don't want to fill out paperwork and we're not losing sales because we only have 1990s-era Win32 APIs available publicly.
We can't touch DCOM. So we create another %C#_REMOTING_FLAVOR_OF_THE_WEEK%!
XNA. Need I say more?
Why would anyone need an archive format that supports files larger than 2GB?
Let's support symbolic links, but make sure that nobody can use them so we don't get blamed for security vulnerabilities (Great! Now we get to look sage and responsible!)
We can't touch Source Depot, so let's hack together SDX!
We can't touch SDX, so let's pretend for four releases that we're moving to TFS while not actually changing anything!
Oh god, the NTFS code is a purple opium-fueled Victorian horror novel that uses global recursive locks and SEH for flow control. Let's write ReFs instead. (And hey, let's start by copying and pasting the NTFS source code and removing half the features! Then let's add checksums, because checksums are cool, right, and now with checksums we're just as good as ZFS? Right? And who needs quotas anyway?)
We just can't be fucked to implement C11 support, and variadic templates were just too hard to implement in a year. (But ohmygosh we turned "^" into a reference-counted pointer operator. Oh, and what's a reference cycle?)

Oh fuck off with your singularity bullshit.

If you write a software that is able to write software why not just throw whatever computing capability you can provide and tell it to rewrite itself to be able to answer every question of the universe?

Silly faggot.

Because the Win7 design is a fucked up version of the Vista one.

That's it - Windows needs a built-in anime theme.

the japanese windows 7 has an official nanami madobe theme with a set of wallpapers and even a voiced sound theme

They already tried that

after progman it was a godsend

I dont understand people who think finder is bad. have you tinkered with the preferences and customized it so it works the way you want? this my personal set up

> set finder window to open home directory
> show path bar
> show tab bar
> column view
> turn off tags
> take off unnecessary shit from the toolbar

its easily the best file manager there is

and the fact that you can batch rename stuff is godly

finally a reason to upgrade to sierra

wtf I love the botnet now

Can confirm, Finder is garbage. OSX interface is a pile of steaming crap, it's just the applefags had developed scat fetish.

If you ever wondered why competent people would switch to mac back in 2005ish, this is why. There are plenty of reasons to dislike macs, but the UI design/consistency really isn't one of them.

>UI design/consistency really isn't one of them.
Mac's UI is shit on the fundamental level. I won't argue that it was cool and innovative back then in 2005, but in the current year, it's a pile of poorly designed and shitty optimized garbage.

KEKD

Been able to do this since Automator was added but you had to make your own finder workflow for it

I was wondering about this

>Windows design is shit
>Mac design is shit
>Unity is shit
>Gnome is shit
>Cinnamon is shit
>Mate is shit
What is your deal? Have you ever used a computer and NOT get triggered?

Only in my safe space of i3.

the answer is monopoly, why would they give a shit if there are no competitors?

>Sup Forums using computer
>Not triggered by anything

user... On what planet do you live...

sounds like a windows dev who got a PIP because he couldn't handle the shitstorm that is dev at MSFT. I don't blame him, but it a SE2 and above can figure that shit out so I wouldn't give it that much credit.

most software at MSFT is designed in PPT. I used to work in Office. PMs end up doing most all of the design because it takes about a million tries to get buy in to build and ship a feature. so it's generally not worth bringing in designers. they mostly work on aspirational user scenarios that will never get built then finally lay out redlines in a onenote doc that consist of 'this button is 20 px away from this one and is #AAFF33'

PPT is a great vector graphics tool if you know how to use it. MSFTs design issues are because of legacy. There isn't time to fix everything, there's too much 'thing' and every bit (mostly) needs to work in the next build.

because they wear jeans and not a fedora .

>minimalshit
Hell no.

I'm sure he's exaggerating or just personally speaking about his department, since some Microsoft products are surprisingly really good (ex: their hardware lineup and peripherals, but I'm sure most of this is true. Tech is plagues with retards.

You mean like Blender?

Wayland on GNU(+Linux) does just that.

Because none of them have installed Gentoo yet, no duh!

Mac design is actually pretty good, but I can only tell form the visual perspective, since I´m a graphic designer, but I never actually used a mac long term.

I bet Windows 10 still has progman.exe or some shit

t. never used classic mac

because when you're not staring at your desktop theme all day, it's harder to notice that the UI isn't consistent

Microsoft is bad at design but half the points on OP pic are fucking pedant shit.

Aero is beautiful

it took them literally years to implement tabs

Becuase Windows target market has always been businesssfags - who don't care about A E S T H E T I C S

You think windows is going to rewrite their rendering from scratch to be gpu based?

>I don't like Macs, therefore they are bad.

little witch academia?

Vista was the most aesthethic OS ever made.

Windows Vista, which was released in 2007, already had all these features. Mactoddlers are comparing it to 2010 Windows 7 though, so they can claim they copied it.

Shhh, it looks bad to argue with children.

Part of being bad at something is not realizing that one is bad at something. That plus believing one's own marketing.

Reminder that they both killed by their parents while they still in infancy.

No they didn't. They just reimplemented VMS. They even hired the VMS guys to do it for NT.

Microsoft doesn't have this problem