Windows

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

download.wsusoffline.net/
ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/45005-Simplix-Pack-to-update-Live-Win7-System-Integrate-hotfixes-into-Win7-distribution
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There are no gnu coreutils.

they stopped being open source

This picture just made me realize how retarded microsoft's naming system.

What did NOT go wrong?

Pretty much the entire 9x line was a mistake. Sorry, 9x was a gigantic piece of shit bolted on top of DOS that was a stopgap while waiting for computers to be fast enough to run NT and ditch legacy DOS shit.

Other than that, every Windows has been better than the one before it aside from 8, and even that one is arguable.

The only good Windows were XP and 7. Everything else has been shit.

You can always tell the newfags - they never mention 2000.

You know I didn't know why it was called windows until I was 22? crazy

Or any version of NT before XP.

NT 4.0 especially was fucking amazing and rock-solid.

Its clearly missing versions.

The only issue with 8 was metro. Otherwise 8 is better and has greater Bluetooth support OOTB.

When was it EVER open-source?

9X was a pretty decent DE for DOS, it's only "bad" in that it encouraged DOS to remain as the dominant PC OS for so long rather than something more sophisticated. The pinnacle of Windows IMO was somewhere between XP and 7, when they dropped support for NTDVM in 64-bit Windows and then started pushing the botnet so hard is when I seriously started to consider switching to another OS.

The way that 8 smashed Metro and Desktop together was incredibly inelegant, and considering it was the headliner feature and the presumed future of Windows that's enough to consider it 8 a failure outright. Have you ever tried explaining to people the difference between the two versions of Internet Explorer included with 8? Yeah....it was horrible.

The reason why I said it was arguable is that 8 perplexity also added a number of nice features to the desktop. Still, it wasn't until Windows 10 that the whole Metro/Desktop thing was properly cleaned up, which made upgrading to 10 worth it for me.

Only problem with NT was the hassle to install third party USB support.

the life was slowly drained out of it

that and they thought a registry was a good idea

The best windows as follows:

>98se
>XP
>7

Windows 7 was the last windows, RIP windows

press f to pay respects

F

>9X was a pretty decent DE for DOS, it's only "bad" in that it encouraged DOS to remain as the dominant PC OS for so long rather than something more sophisticated.

Windows NT was out at the exact same time as much of DOS-Windows popular lifespan (it came out a year after 3.1), and if you were a tinkerer you also had early Linux distributions to mess around with, pic related.

Both NT and Linux offered you true protected memory. That's one of the principal jobs of a multitasking operating system, keep programs from taking the entire system down. Anything that doesn't is a toy.

Vanilla DOS at least didn't give you the illusion of multitasking, and Windows 3.1 was clearly a DOS shell, so we forgave it.

>NT 4.0
>checked
>oh and pic related

Assuming we bunch Win8/8.1 as one release, we get the following sequence: 1 2 1 2 2 1 2 1 2 2 ... where 1 represents good, 2 represents shit.

Because there will not be other Windows release after 10, Windows will forever be a shit OS.

I just realized that the CD doesn't actually tell you what version of Linux it is - it's Red Hat 5.0, at least according to the reverse-face on the insert to the left, if you're curious.

And now that I look at it, the copyright notice on the CD is especially hilarious.

You have Windows 98 and Windows 2000 switched, idiot.

>2000
>shit

>Me
>not ultra shit

>Neglects to mention Novell Netware
Where is the Novell love here? Bunch of kiddos here perhaps.

dos based:
1.x
2.x (not pictured)
3.x
4.0 (95)
4.1 (98)
4.9 (ME)

nt based:
3.1 (not pictured)
4.0 (not pictured)
5.0 (2000)
5.1 (XP)
5.2 (2003/64bit XP) (not pictured)
6.0 (vista)
6.1 (7)
6.2 (8.x)
6.3 (10)

i believe 7/8/10 are from major consumer releases;
1: 1
2: 2
3: 3
4: 9x
5: xp
6: vista
7: 7
8: 8.x
9: skipped due to shitty third party programs breaking because of the name
10: 10

>Windows 1
Can't comment, not oldfag enough

>3.1
Good.

>95
Ehh... Better than 3.1 I guess... "Hover" was kick ass

>98
Very good. What 95 should have been.

>2000
Excellent.

>ME
Crap. Partly because no one bothered to make drivers for it, but partly because it was crap in its own right.

>XP
Excellent. Everything that was good about 2000 + more support, newer features, and accessible to newfags and normies. Graphics seemed great at the time, but retrospectively haven't aged as well as 2000's

>Vista

Not as bad as it has been made out to be. Had issues in the beginning, was solid in the end, but by that time it was too late.

>7
Supremely excellent. The perfect waypoint between "old" operating systems of the past and obnoxious modern, web 2.0/3.0/4.0/infinity.0, social media integrated, "designed for mobile" operating systems of the present.
>8
Shit. Microsoft's first foray into stupid trendy OS designs mentioned above. Not even executed well.

>8.1

What Microsoft invisioned for 8. Unfortunately, the vision was shit.

>10

Microsoft's faux attempt to return to 7's greatness. In reality, it's more obnoxious OS design trends with even more limits on users' ability to make desicions about their computer. Plus, spyware and ads. In short, shit.

>2000
>literally the best windows
>shit
0/2000

and win10 is better how? the homescreen is still worthless to the max.
the metro apps are still shit and useless

XP64 despite lacking drivers ran so much faster than Win7/8/10. Hell the fuggin thing screamed almost as if on an SSD (mechanical) and booted faster than all of them.

>2k
>good
trust a weeb to be so painfully wrong

use ltsb version, no appstore and no default apps, the start menu is different but you can make it be very similar to the normal one, right click start menu is very useful

It was stable but sluggish. Sluggish seems apt here to describe Win2k. I enjoyed but there is that.

>stable but sluggish
yeah linux is both of those things but it's not good either

It was also around the time of the slot 1 and slot a pentium/athlons so it might've also been the hardware too. I fucking miss chipsets like the 440BX.

No Direct3D. Limited drivers.
Oh, and let's not forget the fun of having the user's internet cache saved to the roaming profile.

W8.1 has been great for me with classic shell installed. Otherwise I agree.

>and win10 is better how? the homescreen is still worthless to the max.

Homescreen? What homescreen? You do know that you can remove all the tiles from the Start Menu, right? And then it looks like a normal fuckin' start menu. Cortana sucks ass, but you can hide the button completely and never see her.

The Metro apps that I actually interact with at all (Settings and such) work just fine for me as a keyboard and mouse user, whereas any interaction with Metro at all could be charitably classified as a war crime in 8 since it took over your entire screen.

With 10, you get all of the desktop upgrades that came with 8, plus a few extras handy ones like a built-in menu option to start cmd.exe or PowerShell in Explorer without me having to dig into the registry or use a third party app to enable it. 10's win-tab implementation is actually USEFUL as a kind of expose-lite, as opposed to that stupid thing that 7 had.

The only unkind thing I have to say about 10 is the way it looks. The Aero theme of 10 is a significant downgrade from 8, and in order to enable colored titlebars you have to also turn on an option that turns the background color in the interface from black to a darker swatch of the same color, and I can't abide that as somebody who used a black interface background color in 8.

Come to think of it, Aero never looked better than it did in 8. 7 and Vista had that tacky-looking pseudo-glass thing going on that only looked good in blue or white.

I am anonymous, and I approve this message.
/thread

I never used themes and was always and still am a classic shell guy. I might change the color from blue to black solid color on my desktop. Once in a blue moon I might apply a wallpaper for giggles. Other than that who the fuck cares as it's my PC and it's not a fashion statement.

Commercialization

I remember that animation so well.

2007 Microsoft joins the PRISM network.

Next OS to come out was win8, surprise surprise you need to register your machine to a microsoft account.

It was all downhill from there, Windows is now used to police stupid people who can't install anything else.

Are you retarded or too young to use a computer by yourself?

There is always the option to use "local account" instead of microsoft account. It's available in 8, 8.1 and even in 10. It lets you use a normal username and pasword.

Windows XP was too comfy

And 7 was the tipping point. They knew they could and had to release shit to make you upgrade and become the product.

windows 10 has no sound
*ding dong
*dom
*baram
*bam boo boo ba bam
all gone

Windows 10 adds sounds by turning the PC fans to 100%, killing your hdd and making you scream in terror.

how terrible...

Ok, This seems to be as good a place as any, Im going to have to reinstall windows 7 for the first time in I want to say near 6 years due to building a new system soon, I want to run update one time on a fresh install and be done with it, but problem is the telemetry shit is also on it now too, are there any programs that remove everything so its simple? I can do it manually, but if something else exists that kills them and stops them from every trying to reinstall that would be for the best.

It also seems I may be forced to windows 10 due to drivers, but this is not known for a fact yet.
I wont be getting windows 10 home.
In the interest of not pirating the os, as this just causes problems down the line (and getting the real cracks/authenticators is a pain in the ass) Is there any way to get windows 10 to never install anything from microsoft? I love long uptimes and the thought of forced shut downs makes me want to just run offline. Looking at everything, it seems that I want enterprise, but cant find it for anything but a subscription service, so that leaves me with pro, there should be ways to turn off all the telemetry and updates with this, worst case scenario i'm thinking is just firewalling the entirety of microsoft ips.

Anyone able to help with any of this?

They became increasingly popular and Sup Forums don't take kindly to that, senpai.

God fucking damnit I fucking hate you hipsters so fucking much.

You can update Windows 7 here
download.wsusoffline.net/

You can use GWX Control Panel and keep it active in systray to watch for any sneaky telemetry updates. Get it here.
ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

That's it you're covered. There are also other methods and easy scripts to use to disable telemetry updates but I prefer GWX on normie machines.

microsoft also provide offline updates,,
I never succeed try to update through wsusoffline.

>Serif -> Sans Bold -> Sans
>placing the white 7 inside of a bright stripe
this is the future you deserve

You can update via the link I provided or you can use the packaged update installers on the my digital life forums.
forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/45005-Simplix-Pack-to-update-Live-Win7-System-Integrate-hotfixes-into-Win7-distribution

It's that simple and does work. The only downside is a couple updates might be missing (hotfixes etc). It's fine. In fact you could get along just fine with just some .net updates and keep trucking. None are completely necessary except SP1. It's a service pack though.

Let go of the need to download every update. It isn't necessary.

The point is it is set up to spy on you by default and 99% of Windows babies will fail to change the settings. Idiot.

Win8.1 was the start of removal of features from "Desktop UI" control panels, it is still miles better than Win10 where it feels like a linux distro where firing up one of the CLIs is necessary todo anything beyond changing a wallpaper.

I want to get a fresh, clean, and updated (without telemetry and bloats) windows 7. what should I do to get that perfection?

checked

just pirate a windows installation and completely wipe the hdd/ssd before install. (its a part of the installation process)

Travel back in time

but every single windows 7 installation I've seen is outdated as fuck, and if I updated it manually they will insert the bloat and the telemetry

but then it would degrade exactly the same way again? then you could just counter it from ever getting degraded

diskpart is the only way to do anything remotely productive in anything above 7 with hdds

no need to update windows after you installed it. never updated it afterwards and its still going strong. win7 ultimate sp1 or something. i dont care what version or what it name is it is doing what it is supposed to do. play my games and browse /v

Autistic fuck calling someone idiot

At the beginning, OSX was (Look at OpenDarwin), but Windows was never open source

My issue is more

With windows 7, I want to do a single full update, but that will include telemetry, It can be turned off, but If I don't have to go through the hassle of uninstalling it separately that would be amazing.

And with 10, If I am forced to use it, I never want updates to just happen and require shutdown along with the removal of telemetry.

I have put some serious thought into running Windows in a VM off linux as a backbone, Windows 7 for everything else as I like the environment, and 10 for the few times a program/game demands I use it but needing separate gpus for each os is the deal breaker.

Here is another question, Lets say that I vm windows 7 and linux, but need to use 10, is there a way to pause the vm of 7, have it give up all the resources, then shift them all over to 10, do what I need/want to there and close it, then move them reopen the win 7 vm like it was never touched? I could justify a second gpu for linux alone that way, and if I did need to dual boot 7 and 10, it would be the least painful way for me to shut down as nothing is really lost or closed.

Really hoping win 7 works good, as that buys me a year or two and possibly microsoft unfucking win 10 or a new windows entirely. A pipe dream at best I know, but you have to have hope somewhere.

9x was not a "DE" (no such thing) on top of DOS, it merely used DOS to load it into memory

From my experience:
>win 1.0
shit
>win 3.0
shit
>win 3.1
good
>win 95
good-ish
>win 98
shit
>win 98 SE
good
>win 2000
good
>win ME
shit
>win XP
good
>win vista vanilla
shit
>win vista with service packs
good
>win 7
good
>win 8
shit
>win 8.1
good-ish
>win 10
good-ish

some internet chat log it's gotta be legit!

Yeah, compared to Linux which is just unusable to 99% of the population kek

First logo best logo

Windows 10 might have some issues but it's a decent OS that works and does everything I want it to.

Windows 7 fags need to grow a pair and upgrade. Your software is EOL in 3 years >.

it was called a shell.

>my mom's boyfriend told me it had candy crush

it went wrong at vista
then it went really wrong at 8

And WebKit