Best editor/ide for linux

Hi Sup Forums i can't decide if use vim, emacs or neovim. In my day to day i use for java Intellij, for dotnet(in linux) visual studio code this one can handle other languages but i want to use a "ide/editor" to handle the majority of languages an can extend by myself. Which one you recommend and why pros/cons. Speed and versatility are necessary i can contribute with my autism

Geany

Linux itself

Spacemacs

Vim is a good editor, Emacs good for everything except to edit text.

And evil-mode lets you have the best of both worlds

>editing with a kernel
?

vim

ed

If you want custom extensibility, go with emacs. It has an archaic cursor movement system, but it's usable like a normal editor if one is dumb. It is only inefficient when compared with vim.

Vim is best suited for code review and editing, and with best suited, I mean of anything avaiable, but its extensibility is a joke. Vim will make you rethink how you view computer text, and I'd learn it even if you go with emacs.

This is because by default, most systems can be edited and configured most easily with vim, as it is almost always installed and the default terminal editor. Emacs can often be used too with some trickery, but rarely do you need extensive editing in the terminal. Just going through vimtutor is plenty.

Emacs is my personal choice, although I use evil-mode, short for Exstensible VI Layer. Essentially, all the functionality of vim, with the extensibility of emacs, with quirks mainly from some modes that don't interplay with evil well (usually stuff like buffer selection (tabs, basically), where emacs bindings will be the default.

Spacemacs is an emacs distribution with vim-like characteristics. It's extremely well-made and fuses the two philosophies well, but is frowned upon, as it's got a lot of stuff going on that the average user won't "get".
It's a valid complaint, and why I don't use spacemacs, but I do often copy their defaults into my personal config.

It's still a fair option if you don't intend to alter vanilla emacs. It's like the straciatella or nougat in that analogy: putting your fruity shit in there won't work as well anymore, because you'll need to know how it plays with the other flavors, which you don't understand properly

>but its extensibility is a joke
What is Pathogen and Vundle?

Joke managers.

Plugins in vim are very poor in quality compared to emacs packages.

Consider the "joke" being in relation to emacs. Certainly, it blows most standard editors out of the water, but the same applies to emacs navigation, which is a joke compared to vim, but is far superior to e.g. Sublime (subpar, more like).

99% of Vim extensions though aren't necessary, you can do them with Vim itself. Emacs having to be extended so much sounds more like a failure of emacs to actually function correctly out of the box

A hackjob fix for the poorly thought out spaghetti that is Vim's code base.

learning vi is a life skill.

Neovim. Vim has excellent interaction but is fucking terrible from a technical perspective (extensions, scripting, multi-threading, erratic inexplicable behavior, etc.). Neovim fixes (most) of that.

It doesn't "have" to be extended, it CAN be extended.

Emacs with evil-mode is essentially vim, but far better.

It's what neovim tries to be.

>Emacs with evil-mode is essentially vim
I know, I just enjoy a good holy war right after breakfast ;^)

>but far better.
I hate everything you stand for

This
If you think you need a plugin you probably don't know Vim well enough to use the superior built-in way
Or you are trying to make Vim behave like another text editor (which is worse because if you don't use Vim the Vim way just use another text editor)

Some Vim extensions are nice though and usually that's enough
For the rest there are external tools and Vim users are ok with using them

Neovim FUD by Neovim shills

Vague promises about
>extensibility
>external libraries (like libuv and reinventing json in a more retarded way)
>outdated Vim coding style (fixed in Vim 8)
>async (fixed in Vim 8 and in a better way than Neovim shit)
>bad bram doesn't accept our patches (proved multiple times wrong and fake)
>interface decoupling (still no practical benefit of that)
>neovim will be a component of ide (see above and after so many years this is still no possible)

Neovim is awful, a please-donate scam, with less feature than Vim, with an awful pompous community and with outdate documentation and half baked "features"

I'm new to linux and programming (though I'm not computer illiterate) and am interested in learning how to use vim, but in the mean time and in general, what do y'all think of atom? It seems slow to start (not surprising given what it's based on) but it seems very sleek and extensible.

>what do y'all think of atom
It's a meme for retards, who are scared by the power and possibilities of a real editor

If you're interested in learning vim, just fucking learn vim.

That's a fair response.

As is this but from suggestions I've read it's best not to use vim for work until you have a good understanding of vim. In this way, I'm using atom as a bit of a crutch, but I also like it because I'm not a pure-cli guy like I imagine some of you may be.

>but I also like it because I'm not a pure-cli guy like I imagine some of you may be.
$ gvim

yeah as soon as I hit send I realized that'd probably be the response.

Again, fair. I guess I'll learn vim.

There is gVim too and I prefer it than terminal Vim

It takes less screen real estate, it supports more colors and looks better, it's easier to increase or decrease the fonts, it feels faster, allows you to map more keys and you don't have to mess around with terminal settings

Using Vim exclusively in a terminal is a meme that started from mac hipsters

>Vim is a good editor. Emacs good for everything except to edit text.
People who say this are still stuck in the arrow key mindset of editing text.

Notepad users use the arrow keys and mouse to delete and enter characters. Vimfags get more powerful motions and some text objects which inflates their head, but they're fundamentally still manually moving around and inserting and deleting characters.

In Emacs, you work at a much higher level: insert a function definition, wrap this in a for loop, inline this function call, move this expression up two levels and down one level in the next expression. Unenlightened users try to use Emacs like Notepad and think it sucks.

Wow that's a lot of horseshit you're spreading about neovim.
What you fags conveniently forget is neovim lit a fire under Bram's ass to actually push out worthwhile development.

Atom's actually a pretty good editor with a large community and plenty of plugins.
Yeah it's slower than vim, sublime, etc. And Sup Forums likes to shit on it because of that, but it's really newbie friendly so actually mess around with it for a bit.
Plus atom has a vim-style keybindings extension which is a nice crutch to ease yourself into vim.

Yeah well, fuck you too buddy, you heathen.

>If you think you need a plugin you probably don't know Vim well enough to use the superior built-in way
Fonts. Powerline.

>For the rest there are external tools and Vim users are ok with using them
Windows users are ok with using Windows tools, that's not really an argument

I'm not saying it's even remotely similar in scale, vim is obviously a very capable tool and the interoperability isn't bad enough so as to invalidate that workflow, but it's certainly a notch in its otherwise pristine usability.

I honestly have no idea what Atom is supposed to be. What does it do?

vim really isn't hard to get started with. Just use gvim for a while and you'll get used to the most important principles
>but from suggestions I've read it's best not to use vim for work until you have a good understanding of vim
why? That sounds retarded
It's already better than your regular mouse-based UI just by the tools taught through vimtutor

>Unenlightened users try to use Emacs like Notepad and think it sucks.
Using a text editor like a text editor - what mad fools

>>In Emacs, you work at a much higher level: insert a function definition, wrap this in a for loop, inline this function call, move this expression up two levels and down one level in the next expression. Unenlightened users try to use Emacs like Notepad and think it sucks.
How exactly do you propose this be done?

Also I use vim for all my writing, I don't even code

Emacs is a desktop Sup Forums browser with some accessories senpai

>Fonts
Muhh ricing

Sublime text

Have a gander at this peon

>>Fonts
>Muhh ricing
Or maybe I just want my text to not make my eyes bleed famalam

>I own a shitty monitor
Gotcha

Can confirm, though spacemacs is really just a configuration of emacs and not a text editor in and of itself.

I use it in emacs mode without all the evil stuff, is there stuff I'm missing out on?