I got given a 2008 unibody Macbook for free

What can I do with it? (after shoving it up my ass, obviously).

OS X no longer supported on it, thinking it might make a nice Arch machine or something.

specs: everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.0-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html

Forgot to say it has a 512gb SSD installed and 4GB ram.

sell it
old mac shit sells for double what a non-mac equivalent would

Actually I had El Capitan, the second newest macOS, installed on mine. Updated from 10.6 through the App Store. It had 4GB RAM but a normal HDD so everything was slow.

it ain't selling for shit without an os

OP put sierra on it, check out dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

i suppose i can upload an image of a 8GiB usb drive with the os installer and patcher on it, i have one somewhere

Can make a USB installation of sierra

op i'll pm you an encrypt key and an .iso, hmu [email protected]

wait so how does this work? just sign up for a developer account and access the download file and burn it to usb? How do I do this from a linux machine or a windows machine incase I want to make one of those machines into mac machines?

I have a pretty good
i7
2g vram gpu thing
16gig ram
512 gig ssd

mactop that I want to put to use. I've just been using it as a keyboard and xbox base. My sister left like three laptops that I can't use because she won't give up the info. They're all not old.

Use a patch to be able to install sierra on it then dual boot to w/e you want.

Make sure to clean out the thermal paste and replace

is it free as in free speech or free as in free beer ?

so ifyou want to install sierra on it you must be able to access the osx installed on it already? Or am I missing something? Patch the usb installer?

What if I have one of the 2014 pro retina bullshit macs. It would be nice to have another computer for regular use.

If I sound desperate that's because I sound desperate.

what do you see when you try to boot it

you are not giving us much info

yeah you need osx on it already, which is honestly retarded lol. I think it's a iso patcher/usb creator or something, i know it's out there just google.

You're good then, faggot. Just use it and burn it to the ground.

Oh try to see if you can make it 8GB of RAM, I remember those machines don't allow 16GB.

>OS X no longer supported on it
Sierra Patcher

>Install El Capitan
>Shove it back up ass

Alright so if osx is no longer supported on it that means I can't get into nor can I get anything out of it as it is. Therefore I want to bring in a bootable medium to install a functioning OS and, hopefully, remove the dysfunctioning OS or replace it with a functioning version of itself.

Is this possible? I just learned I could sell this thing for parts and come out with like a grand or something but I'd still rather use it to make stuff with.

El Capitan werks if you want the easy app store way. Supports modern software and still gets security updates. Also: You can try recovery mode if you can't login to os x. Press cmd + R after startup chime to access recovery mode.

>Alright so if osx is no longer supported on it that means I can't get into nor can I get anything out of it as it is.

did you even read the fucking thread

wow is that really you

also, I haven't turned it on because I also haven't bought another charger for it because I couldn't use the OS since it's my sister's old computer. She also left an old HP thing with an i3 and a p4 something or other and some tablets ( left for uni ) but those aren't as troublesome. I just need to replace the power controller for the laptop and the p4 just needs new ram and or a graphics card for loading the higher resolution imagery we have now.

Again, I could just use as a base for my keyboard or xbox like I was, sell the parts, or boot from it and put it to use. These specs aren't bad at all. I could play league from it.

>I just learned I could sell this thing for parts and come out with like a grand

nope

I'm trying to but no one has been especially direct about which process they are talking about.

What's El Capitan, should I google it or might I get a better sense of it from one of you find gentlemen?

>also, I haven't turned it on because I also haven't bought another charger for it because I couldn't use the OS since it's my sister's old computer.

you honestly sound like some kind of half wit

I just looked up the parts individually. I was just trying to point your attention more in the direction of I could be scamming this for money but I want experience and to maybe play league portably.

>What's El Capitan, should I google it or might I get a better sense of it from one of you find gentlemen?

you are literally retarded, stop fucking with your sister's computer and go back to whatever you were doing

Well, honesty shouldn't be a knee jerk reaction that you need to poit it out to me. They called that tourettes before this wave of feminism.

I'm definitely not the average Sup Forums poster a la neet, basement dweller virgin nigger cia nigger mit nigger fedora

I'm just some weird dude that spends a lot of time alone.

you don't know enough about what you are trying to do to do it

just stop and leave it alone

>I'm definitely not the average Sup Forums poster a la neet, basement dweller virgin nigger cia nigger mit nigger fedora

yes because then you would know something about computers

Enter the correct search terms into google and you'll most likely find a guide how to install El Capitan on your laptop =)

>OS X no longer supported on it
Doesn't matter, you'll still get the best battery life, temp control and performance with it. install Xcode and MacPorts and upgrade with that.

I feel bad for you guys

I was worried I'd have to do this. You can understand my hesitation to the process or rather at least my inclination towards not using google. searx doesn't exactly come up relevant so much these days.

>pirate OS X VM image or use someones mac
>download macOS from app store
>burn to usb with DiskMakerX

you are not going to get it working, sell it for parts or stop fucking with your sister's shit

he does not even know what you are talking about

you make it sound like it's any difficult to understand what he just posted

you faggot

I've never had free beer, where do you get it?

>you make it sound like it's any difficult

ElCap will be just fine for the time being.

Could I possibly make it an arch machine?

no

Sell it, the C2D ones are useless nowadays.
Also shitty trackpad.

Install some older version with a DVD with a image off tpb and than upgrade to Sierra if WiFi works, if not stay with Mavericks or Yosemite, El Shit is a fucking mess.