/wt/ watch thread

This is a thread about watches, not autism.
Goodnight Sweet Prince Edition (Walter Lange died this morning).

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

chronoauction.com/cgi-bin/auction/auctionchrono.pl?action=newbid&item=ORI06&L=1
hodinkee.com/articles/mbandf-hm7-aquapod-introducing-sihh-2017
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Rest in good health.

>this thread again.

pretty neat dial

>This is a thread about watches, not autism.
Good thread. None of that microautism bullshit.

he did literally nothing with the lange you know today. he had an honorary position. im not even sure if he's even a watchmaker at all desu.

Without him the brand wouldn't have been relaunched again in 1990. So without him there would be no Lange.

>And then, you trained as a watchmaker yourself?
>Yes, when I was 16, I followed the family tradition. At that time, only master courses were available in Glashütte, so I went to Karlstein in Austria. After one and a half years, I had to interrupt the apprenticeship because I was drafted into the army. After the war, I continued my apprenticeship with Alfred Helwig at the School of Watchmaking in Glashütte.

How do I know how much an uncommon watch is worth, I don't want to be taken to the cleaners. It's got a valjew 7750

poorfag here looking to get into collecting
Would you say that pic related is a decent place to start?

Depends. Do you want to collect something specific?

Although, the only question, that really has any value, is: "Do you like it?" - if it's a 'yes' you get it, if it's a 'no', you don't.

This one went for 530 euro.

chronoauction.com/cgi-bin/auction/auctionchrono.pl?action=newbid&item=ORI06&L=1

It has folded links so it's going to feel cheap on your wrist.

sorta true, altough someone would have picked up the name sooner or later.

thats pretty cool, though my point still stands, lange is a brand, walter lange hasnt designed any lange movements, a team of designers did and none of them ever get any mention.

idk desu, i think i just low key hate the modern watch industry. also i am convinced the square one is the only nice lange

Just some more quality stuff once I can actually start saving up, but nothing too specific.

I planned on replacing the strap anyway

Just get an 803, 805, 807, or 809.

>not discussing the ultimate diver
Why Sup Forums?

>What are you wearing??
>A Rolex??
HAHAHAHAHA

hodinkee.com/articles/mbandf-hm7-aquapod-introducing-sihh-2017

>the watch measures a whopping 53.8mm across
>it sits very high on the wrist as well, being 21.3mm

>Glorious movement

>>the watch measures a whopping 53.8mm across
>>it sits very high on the wrist as well, being 21.3mm
You a manlet, or what?

i just got a strapcode bracelet for the SRP777.
it's pretty beefy.
SKX weighs 6 oz, the SRP weighs 7oz

i just got a strapcode bracelet for the SRP777.
it's pretty beefy.
SKX weighs 6 oz, the SRP weighs 7oz
pic related

Wage slave reporting in.

that hexad's very nice. strapcode makes a quality bracelet.

that's nice! i like yacht masters.
do you shave your arms?

Hairless asian wristlet here. No shaving.

does Strapcode make them or Miltat?
same company?

All I wanted is a two tone sub with an all steel bracelet

you're guess is as good as mind, I've always wondered that too...

Sup /wt/, finally got my Chris Ward homage in the mail.

why is this on Sup Forums? You faggots don't even talk about the tech behind the watches. /fa/ has the same thread and its actually more alive than this saged thread.

vomits into mouth

is the oyster from strapcode too

Thinking about getting a LG urbane 2 nd gen.
Anyone have experience with it? It's a smart watch, but doesn't look like a fucking toy, unlike all the others.

>It's a smart watch
top kek

I've got a 22mm End Mill coming from them for my L5100 Speedmaster.

>Quartz movements are generally more idiot proof to manufacture, however to be certified as a chronograph (accurate time keeping to +/- 1 second per month i think) it must be a mechanical movement, its VERY rare to have a quartz movement be certified to that degree of accuracy.

from the /fa/ watch thread

Fucking KEK the idiocy over there is amazing.

Yeah Yeah, I was in a berizon store earlier today and saw one, it literally fooled the normie I was with.
Most wouldn't even be able to tell, the fucking thing was sharp and felt proper.

Our normal OP tries to set the tone for the tech behind watches, but some people try and turn this into an /fa/ thread. At least the people who remove our normal OP aren't still removing the Hamilton video like they used to.

there's fewer idiots here. I get what you mean but it's not exactly fashion either.

>why is this on Sup Forums?
Because we can.

>falling for the being asian meme

>falling for the being born meme

Isn't he somewhat right?

Are quartz watches even allowed to be COSC certified? Do the Jews actually allow it?

Have you ever heard of Google?

Should you even be allowed to post here while being this much of an horological and technological pleb?

>Are quartz watches even allowed to be COSC certified?

Yes, there has been some quartzes that reached COSC certification, like the B-1 SuperQuartz calibers from Breitling (pic related).

If I remeber correctly, the key thermocompensation of the quartz crystal.

>the key *was* thermoconpensation of the quartz crystal

>You faggots don't even talk about the tech behind the watches

Yes we do

So it is rare to see quartz watches ccertified, right?

How many typical quartz watch producers can afford to thermocompensate their pieces while keeping the price down to traditional quartz watch prices ?

The COSC sign won't really increase value on a quartz watch, so there is no point on spending on it. Everybody knows that quartz is around chronometer accuracy anyway. And real accurate quartzes like GS can't even get the certificate because they're not Swiss.

>So it is rare to see quartz watches ccertified, right?
Yes, very few quartzes are COSC certifed. Especially, since COSC parameters for quartz are really tight. (see pic related)
To my knowledge, only Breitling has mass-produced a COSC quartz chronometer, with their thermocompensated technology.

>Everybody knows that quartz is around chronometer accuracy anyway.
Except that the parameters for quartz tests are way more strict.
see

Been working well as my daily wear for about two years, have a decent self winding skeleton watch I wear when it's time to get fancy.

Apparently so, but even then it's not that hard to find a quartz that gains a minute every two weeks or so (ignoring other parameters, which might be harder to achieve)

Thermocompensation is key, but that's only 25 spy average. I'm curious if a 9F movement could pass.

>I'm curious if a 9F movement could pass.
Maybe.
Does anyone has the accurancy chart of 9f calibers?

While on that, I'd like to see if the performance of GP13500, inside the Girard-Perregaux 35th Anniversary Laureato Quartz, could also reach COSC certification.

I know most are rated 10 SPY, with some at 5.

>I know most are rated 10 SPY, with some at 5.
By whom? Who is making the test?

Those are Seiko's own figures. I don't lurk the High Autism Quartz section of WUS enough to testify as to their actual veracity.

The main problem with quartz is the fact that accurancy drifts a bit when the temperature of the crystal drops when the user takes it off its wrist.

If the 10-5 SPY grade is achieved while performing temperature changes in the lab, then it'll surely be capable of being COSC certified.

However, if temperature is not considered in the test, it might be 10-5 SPY but may not stand against a +-0.07 reading at 23 C, so it would fail.

BTW, I dislike accurancy claims that aren't expressed on a dayly value, because it would be next to impossible to really verify. I'd prefer a +-0.0000000* reading than the "SPY" nomenclature.

9F is supposedly thermocompensated, so it should be fairly consistent through any temperature changes. Also whether you say .0274 seconds per day or 10 seconds per year doesn't make any difference, the latter is just an easier reference.

>shit, how do we make our quartz movement worth more?
>I don't know, just cover it in some metal

>Also whether you say .0274 seconds per day or 10 seconds per year doesn't make any difference, the latter is just an easier reference.
Yes, but my point is most people wont even think about how to check its accurancy when the value is expressed in years.
Maybe they are dumb in their reasoning, granted, but I know of at least one journalist who couldn't realize the convertion rate and gave up, limited himself to transcribe the press release.

>journalist

>denying the beauty of a well made and finished movement, disregarding the brand
Why must you be so pedestrian, m8?

They are on a different level and I definitely appreciate them, but they just seem blinged out compared to what they actually need to function.

That's true with mechanical movements too

>tfw regulated my snk809 by myself

that was fun, what's the point of buying watches if you're not tinkering with them? Next up a set of good screwdrivers and movement disassembly, pretty sure I'm going to fuck it up, but at least it will be fun

Whats a good cheap 100-200$ watch that looks similar to a Rolex/Luxury Watch that's not a knockoff?

>>reddit

>It's the same arguement over and over.
I have a need, yes, and watches fulfill this need, but I also appreciate well made things, to the point that they actually become something beautiful and inspirational.

If you don't need to fulfill this need with something "blinged out", then no one is forcing you to buy anything.

I, in the other hand, prefer to fulfill this requirement of my modern life in a way that satisfies my desire for extremely well made, aesthetically appealing, mechanically complex -or quartz- things, and therefore I buy watches that fit that criteria.

Both approches are equaly valid.

>tfw regulated my snk809 by myself
Congrats m8.

and thank god for it. I've been lurking /fa/'s watch threads, but the watch-snobs are unbearable.

anywho, this is a pleasant thread with pleasant posters so far.

I have a Steinhart incoming - yes, an homage. But I'm excited for it. 2824-2 TOP with the module from Dubois Dépraz DD 2020 (It's a chronograph), 51 jewels.

anyhow we'll see. hopefully i'm not underwhelmed.

>needing anything more than a waterproof, crush-proof casio you get for 20 bucks and will never fuck up unless you try to break it

>Steinhart chrono
>underwhelmed
If anything, you'll be overwhelmed. You may even have problems lifting your arm up!

The Mach 1 is 1mm smaller with the 2824-2 dd2020.

Now that there is a watch

I think GPs old quartz movements were also cosc, (they had chronometer on the dial)
Also the citizen chronomaster could probaby get it.

Speaking of GP im going to switzerland in a couple weeks to see the mir manufacture :3

>Speaking of GP im going to switzerland in a couple weeks to see the mir manufacture :3

If they'll let you, take pics (of the watches at least) user.

>buys a Yachtmaster
>does not sail or master Yachts on the high seas

Ill see if I can user, but theyre always p anal about that stuff

Don't get it on the bracelet. But yes, it's the quintessential starter watch.

>50m WR

Orient Ray II

>implying modern divers ever do anything else than deskdiving
1/10

Disregading the fact that it's huge and ugly, the new Panerai lab-id carbotech is really cool.
>No lubrication anywhere, 50yr warranty, no servicing
>Carbon nanotube black dial
As far as I know, it's the first lubricant free watch you can actually buy. Pretty neat.
I hope this means we'll get more watches like this in the future.

>the dial is coated in vantablack
Neat.

Hasn't been confirmed as Vantablack.
There's lots of other very black substances.

>astrolon 2250

Really? Didn't know that.
Then again, those were made to be disposable, so it's not exactly the same.

One of these came in the store just now. Circa 1973, a low to midrange quartz movement of the time but an absolute beauty of an movement compared to todays basic 6x8 movements.

The old man didn't want to have it fixed for the at least $40 it would have cost, so I made him an offer that I'll take it off his hands for $10 if he doesn't want to repair it. Looks like it's just a stripped tooth somewhere in the date mechanism or the hour wheel since the hour hand gets stuck at every 3 AM.

The watch itself is fine too, only that it's gold plated, with non-standard lugs like on an Oysterquartz.

Okay, the old man came back and I bought the watch from him. It runs, but as I said hour hand doesn't go past 3AM. He'll bring the bracelet next time he comes around here, but that's only for completions sake anyway. I'll start taking it apart now and see what exactly is wrong with it, luckily Cousins keep all the parts for the movement dirt cheap.

Komandirskie for scale, another watch I'm working on.