Kaby Lake Pricing Crisis

What the FUCK is going on with the pricing of Kaby Lake chips? They're LITERALLY trying to sell an i3 for £183 which is fucking high-end i5 pricing territory. Who the fuck is going to buy this shit? You could get a way better i5-6500 or i5-7400 for the EXACT same price, or a 6600k for ~£20 more. Meanwhile you've got the Pentium G4560 which is completely killing intel's own i3 line, dominating the price/performance ratio by giving you practically i3-6100 performance for £65. Even the i5 prices look weird when you place them next to the fucking £65 Pentium G4560, which can easily drive a RX 480 or GTX 1060 just fine.

In short, intel have driven their own i3 line into redundancy by releasing a £65 CPU that is only marginally worse than a £183 CPU, while also keeping the i5's at roughly the same price.

Other urls found in this thread:

intc.com/priceList.cfm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The 7350K is a meme. It has the same performance per clock as the i3 6100 which can also be overclocked to nearly the same speed on the same Z170 motherboards. It also costs half as much.

A few things. Shit's always at a premium early in the product life cycle. Normies feel expensive = best. Finally, AMD's continued incompetence has left intel with a near monopoly so they can do what they wants and people will still buy it.

tl;dr blame normalfags and AyyMD

the 7350K is as faster than the i5 6400 and i5 4670K due to vastly superior stock clocks and 4.9~5ghz overclocks.

It's been wildly reported the past few months.

the real question is, why are you even looking at the i3 when you can get a kabylake pentium?

Better question, why get an unlocked Kaby i3 when you could get an i5 6400 for the same price and overclock it for 50% more performance?

If the i3 7350K is within your budget buy a Skylake i5 and OC it. If you're poor buy a Kaby G4560.

Intel really fucked up their own line, didn't they?

Any k series CPU is a waste of money.

It's a shame there's so much fud surrounding non-k overclocking. Googling g it brings up endless posts that read as if they're made by Intel reps spreading dumb misinfo about microcode updates, overheating and "just buy k if you want to overclock"

Now, yes, because Skylake crashed through the door screaming "Free the overclocking! Viva BLCK libre!"

But it used to make sense when they weren't quite as expensive, like the 2500K meme. If you bought a non-K 2500 you're probably pretty upset instead of gloating.

Yeah. Core temps don't work (use package temperature) and neither do low power states or the iGPU. Everything else works fine and the microcode update was a scare tactic that never happened.

Also half speed avx, meaningless to most people but worth being aware of.

>have 2500k
>no need to upgrade until 2020

kys

>geekbench

And what happens when you overclock the 6400, which you can and should be doing?

A 1% IPC boost and moar hertz doesn't beat two more physical cores and more cache.

>fucking high-end i5 pricing territory
Bullshit, I paid 240 euros for my i5 6500.

>Waaaaaah I overpaid

your own fucking fault

Probably even longer

You don't want to know what IL+1 is slated to be. Anti-consumerist af, theres gonna be lawsuits over it.

So i5 6500 was the best choice then

>Geekbench
I want to find and kill you

Yeah Its pretty fucked, OP. Its like Intel doesn't care about Ryzen at all.

Fuck off, it's the standard price.

they're just fucking around at this point. hopefully, ryzen will live up to the expectations and actually be competitive, not that it would affect me since i'm sticking w/ 6th gen and win7
>inb4 install linux
i'm a "gaymer"

I'm not quite sure where you're getting your pricing info from. I get my info straight from the source:

intc.com/priceList.cfm

> trying to sell an i3 for fucking high-end i5 pricing territory

On that page, the highest i3 (i3-7350K) sells for $168. High-end i5 territory can be found right above it, and is $242. In fact, the highest i3 is cheaper than even the LOWEST priced i5.

So, no, there is no i3/i5 price inversion.

> Meanwhile you've got the Pentium G4560 which is completely killing intel's own i3 line.

I would have to agree with that. The 4-thread Pentiums are a way better value than any of the i3/i5/i7 chips if you're just looking at performance per cost. There is pretty much no excuse for buying anything in the lower half of the i3 list, because a Pentium G4560 performs almost as well for half the price.

>Intel really fucked up their own line, didn't they?
This is what happens when a company only competes with itself for over 6 years. Eventually its lineup gets too crowded and starts cannibalizing sales of other products.

What you're seeing is the opening act of Intel consuming itself from within. AMD coming in and competing on price will offer some relief but the bean counters will hate it and push the top level to keep the prices for Intel's lineup more or less where it's at.

found your problem