Is 16GB... dare I say it... The New Standard™?

Is 16GB... dare I say it... The New Standardâ„¢?

Who cares you fucking faggot. Go outside.

this

/Thread

rekt

What is this fashion, metal shit? What next, LEDs?

I use 4GB in my desktop and 10GB in my laptop. What the fuck do you need that much RAM for day to day stuff? Is Windows 10 really that bad with memory now? Install GNU/Linux and you only really need 2GB.

8 gigs has never held me back. Any reason I would 16?

that's /thread

playing any games past 2007. witcher 3 uses 16gb, so does bf1

No, it's not windows 10. It's just OP.

I have 8 gigs on my machine and it's currently using 4 gigs. I'm only running Chrome right now...

My guess is that I haven't shut this computer down in days so the pagefile has grown to a large size. IDK if windows caches data after applications are closed like linux does to make them load faster on the next time you execute them.

hownew.ru

dominator platinum looks so shit

It kind of feels like it.
Don't mean to blog post but I play a shit ton of Ark (very unoptimized) takes up a ton of memory (10-13gb)
When or if it crashes cus of low memory and shit optimization I check how much memory is used and windows end up at 2-4gb with some compresed Mem on the side.
Microsoft needs to get their shit together Win10 is fucking unorganize, inconsistent, and a bloated up PoS. Reboot of it all would be nice.

Confirmed Windows 10. Debian does not have this problem.

>300MB masterrace.

>have 8gb
>played pretty much every triple a game since 2007
>ram usage never exceeded 7gb during gameplay (usually at 4-5gb)
I don't run anything in the background, though. If you're a subhuman normalshit who needs skype and facebook open in the background while playing games, then 16gb is useful.

My 2 yo win 10 install co consumes 1.3gb. I have 8gb on board

(You)
I just changed tabs on task manager and I guess that's what's going on. I'm not terribly familiar with win10 but I need it for school. If I'm reading this right 3.6 gigs is cached so only about 500 megs of memory is currently being used currently from apps running and the OS??

you first :^)

please.

go play witcher 3 (basically the new crisis standard).

/board

I have over 250 hours in witcher 3, user. Never came close to 8gb.

>Any reason I would 16?
Fucherprufing

I have 32GB but I usually have a game running on one monitor and a couple camgirl streams on the other. Only thing I run in the background besides built in windows services is usually web browser, firewall, and antivirus.

Better start becoming it, yes.
I mean, for normies, 8 - 12GB of RAM is fine, but for anyone who browses Sup Forums and actually uses their PC for more (ex. content creators, or even people who dabble in the idea of it) having 16GB is a necessary buffer.

I found that even trying to survive on 12GB cut it too close as I could easily push 10 or 11GB of use.

Upgrading ram is something I do to extend the life of an old machine. I can always wait until I see ram holding the system back and buy the ram for cheaper then. If the cpu is dated by that time I likely have to switch to a newer memory standard and mobo.

What resolution/ fps/ settings are you Witcher 3 fags playing at?

If I want to play at 1440p >60fps, would more RAM help or does that depend more on video memory?

You do realize your ram usage is going to be higher the more ram you have installed? Just because you see 12 out of 16gb used while playing bitcher or any other game doesn't mean a player with 8gb is going to go over 8gb. Witcher 3 itself doesn't use/need more than 5-6gb of RAM. Sure, if you have 16 or 32gb of ram, it might load more than 5gb but that's because of "le unused ram is wasted ram" meme. Windows 10 on 8gb systems uses 1.2 - 1.7gb of RAM, 2-3gb on 16gb machines, 3-5gb on 32gb and so on.

It wouldn't help with framerate and yes, it depends more on VRAM (you need at least 4gb).

>16gb is the new standard
>the retard pajeets at google and mozilla now think they have TWICE the ram to work with
>browsers become more bloated
no thanks

>>pepperidge farms remembers when your multi-tab browser only needed 2-300 megs.

I miss firefox 2.xx

Fucking told, lel. Saved.

You're reading it wrong.

Can you explain? I thought the cache was similar to a cache in unix/linux

/thread

i miss being stupid and using IE
even with 1gb ram that piece of shit chugged along

"In use" is how much is being actively used by your OS, software, and whatnot.
Cache is not included in this. See that little purple line on the far right of your memory composition ? That's where the cache ends, to the right of that is actual unused memory. Cache isn't counted as being in use because Windows will free it up as necessary.

max settings? how muxh ram? if you have less than 8 it wont render far distances at all.

no shit. but thats not playing the game to its proper experience.

>90's and early 2000's
>people develop software on basically the same machines as the end user
>everything runs smooth
>late 00's and now
>all devs have SUPR EPICH 500GB RAM systems to program shit on
>no home user has this kind of processing power
>people with crap systems have to suffer
>people with powerful systems have to suffer

plebs who dont know optimisation. honestly its from all the c++ and java programming. new devs dont ever work with assembly or machine code

Holy crap, that's insane. I just opened up resource monitor and it shows all this additional memory that chrome is using that processes doesn't show. Chrome is gobbling up like 2 gigs of ram... Lol, it's still responsive though. Firefox becomes unusable after a day or two of continuous use.

>Firefox becomes unusable after a day or two of continuous use.
PEBCAK

and you can't fallback on an older browser as they wont meet the new web standards. Time to give edge a shot?

Currently have 4x4 for 16 gigs, when I get ryzen I'm gonna get 2x16 for 32 gigs, then grab 2 more sticks when I want to go to 64.

>tfw 16gb of ram wasn't a meme after all.

>firefox is a shit ram hog because of U
holy fucking shit pajeet how much does mozilla pay you?

>PEBCAK
Fuck off ruskie.

>PEBCAK
It's a web browser dude. There's nothing being screwed up here. Disabling all the addons and running bare install does no good. Bloated browser is bloated.

yeah i'll download edge the same day i plug my webcam in lmao

They don't, but my Waterfox instance is happily chugging along at 780 MB RAM. 7 days uptime, still as responsive as ever.

Not as bloated as Chrome.

>having barely enough memory to run chrome is the new standard
What year am I in?

we're talking about firefox not waterfox

no, and bloated chrome is making excessive writes to the ssd.

>muh ridiculous number of tabs

So how does waterfox compare to firefox? Is it missing any features from firefox?

>buy H110 they say
>no one ever need more than 16 gigs they say

Tfw 64gb ram

Get fucked, ramlets. You make me sick.

Went from 4gb to 16

8gb is cuck tier Tbh

My thinkpad has 8 gigs and I gave ubuntu a 16gig swap partition. That computer never dips above 2 gigs of use and it has never used that swap partition once. Ubuntu isn't even considered to be a lightweight distro. Why the fuck do you guys need this much ram? When I game in windows it never goes above 8 gigs. I don't get it.

yup

>When I game in windows it never goes above 8 gigs.
why would it? windows has swap. the hole point of swap is when you GET CLOSE to running out of ram, it starts to SWAP things to the pagefile... so you won't run out of memory unless you also run out of swap. in windows case, it likes to swap before you even get close because it tries to be "intelligent." linux for the most part won't start swapping until you hit around ~~50%~~ usage by default. you can change swappiness levels, size, or disable it in linux. windows you can either disable it or reduce / increase the pagefile size.

linux is better at memory management for not only the way it handles swap, but also less demanding. on windows you better go 16gb unless all you do is masturbate to anime and shit post on /g about people not being poor like you. if that's the case enjoy your 4gb atom chinkpad.

>4gb atom chinkpad.
Did you even read my post? If a game had to use the pagefile the performance would be atrocious. There are no games out there that need more than 8 gigs of system memory to run the game + OS in background.

Still chugging along nicely with 8GB even with gaymes and multitasking.

>witcher 3 uses 16gb
Are you retarded?

>Did you even read my post?
do you even know how pagefile even works on windows? i already gave a hint in my original post.
>pro tip, windows is already pagefiling long before you even start that game with systems with 8gb of ram. its stupid enough to also start doing this with systems with even 32gb of ram but not as bad as systems with 8gb and less.
again, windows tries to be "intelligent" about its pagefile.

also, many games will also try to act "intelligent" about being less aggressive with preloading assets into memory with systems with low amount of ram by doing a system check. windows itself will use around 1.2-2gb of ram at idle after a fresh reboot. windows 10 they have tried to get better and generally will hover around 1-5-1.7gb of ram after caching a few things from daily use. so take ~2gb of ram for the OS, plus say a game like BF1 which will gladly use upwards to 6gb of ram at 1080p, right there you're at around... 8gb of ram. yes, believe it or not, windows is using swap. even if you top off at 5ishgb of usage, windows will still be using swap pretty decently. it starts off cannibalizing its resources and then background applications, such as a minimized web browser, before it starts prioritizing in focus applications / heavy user applications.

but hey, feel proud about yourself you saved yourself a whopping $15 - $30 buying that 8gb kit instead of that 16gb kit because if your adamant using an 8gb kit instead of a 16gb kit this much, you probably source your ram from value brands off of ebay where fellow /g users have ejaculated on and use diablotek psus because you know the value of a dollar. see pic related.

Windows is now using almost 4gb for me with chrome and like three tabs.

I have 16gb, but I guess I'll have to upgrade to 32gb. Maybe next year. Don't feel like spending 100.

>implying I bought my ram this year.

I bought it a while back and there is yet a game that taxes it. The pagefile is going to just load apps running on the desktop and other applications that are unimportant to the performance of the game. You can actually go into settings and change the priority an app has and windows will prioritize its resources for that app. Games usually get the highest priority. You're right, Windows is smart about its pagefile. It's going to do what it needs to provide resources for the game. 8 gigs is plenty for games.

>Everyone in this thread forgets that unused ram is used for caching.

Disgusting.

That's what's difficult to get into these people's head.

You have autism.

>get an SSD
>disable page file
>get 32GB of RAM
>never have to worry about a computer feeling slow again

Keeping frequently used programs in RAM is GOAT.

>mfw I still have 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

/bread

BUT MOOOOOM
I CANT RUN CHROME, SLACK AND ATOM WITHOUT 16GB

Still using 8GB but want to upgrade soon for android app development

No, 32GB is the bare minimum now.

see

It's more that the develop it for consoles

>10GB in my laptop
>10GB
>he does not even have dual channels

>windows 10
WINDOWS 10 MLMAO
LMA0

I have 1GB of RAM in 2017.

for windows. the botnet needs ram.

The amount of RAM you should get to your computer is directly related to the amount of money you are spending on the computer.

I think so,if you can afford it why not,ide rather have way too much than barely enough.

>>Who cares you fucking faggot. Go outside.

2gb wielding 32bit using faggot triggered!! Kek

damn... never knew my 8gb ram had that much ram in it so it could run bf1 and witcher 3 for me.
good job there, research and think after before making a retarded statement

kek 4G of shit
install linux and load the base OS into memory, enjoy super fast OS

I need more, 16GB isn't enough for compression

>witcher 3
>new crisis standard

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I think so, you no longer have to pay a premium for 8GB sticks as you would in say 2010.

Include me in the screenshot

Some 32GB kits got discounted heavily in Norway for some reason.

Now they are at the same price as some of the 16GB kits.

Around 236USD.

>not using cfls
if you rice, you do it nice.

Ebin, just ebin

>still have 6gb

DGAF, I've been on 2*16GB (DDR3) for years, and I'm building gonna build a 2*32GB (DDR4, ECC?) workstation as soon as I figure out whether Zen will be OK or whether I need to bend over for an i7-6900k.

fpbp

kek