/cpg/ - Cassette Player General

Hey and welcome back to the second edition of /cpg/.

Here we discuss the vintage antics of the cassette player, which for those who don't know, was a popular transportable medium used in the 80s and 90s.

Last thread we got accused of being autistic and hipster, an user showed off his sony deck and others experimented with an amp combo.

Share your findings and tips fir beginners here, and have a comfortable browsing experience.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/p/Vintage-Sct-86-Realistic-Stereo-Cassette-Tape-Deck-Tested-Clean/1708067045
youtu.be/erpZRWYASws
youtu.be/IJ81-TMP4pI
youtube.com/watch?v=qA3r9NUoAHk
youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA
youtube.com/watch?v=JUTpPBQIEfs&t=1s
performermag.com/band-management/music-promotion/7-reasons-your-band-should-release-your-music-on-cassette/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How do I record cassettes? I really want to record some but I don't know what gear I need. Is it possible to buy a brand-new recorder cheaply?

What do you exactly mean, do you wanna record on a cassette or do you wanna record what a cassette sounds like?

To be frank, some walkmans have the built-in dictaphone/recorder and they can be found for cheap locally.

Happy hunting, brother.

any ole tape deck can record, thats all you need
dont use high speed dubbing, makes the quality not quite as good

Oldfag here. Why would you go back to cassettes? WHY???

ebay.com/p/Vintage-Sct-86-Realistic-Stereo-Cassette-Tape-Deck-Tested-Clean/1708067045

Because why not? It's pretty healthy to know what came before ipods and mp3s and whatever.

Plus, nothing beats the feeling of sliding your cassette in and pressing play.

It might be more inconvenient, but it sure has its moments.

You must be really bored, I dug out a cassette player the other day anyways, it's just gimmicky but hearing my ridiculously warped nin was fun

>Last thread we got accused of being autistic and hipster
That accusation is 100% true

Wanting cassettes back is like wanting diskettes to make a come back or using a typewriter unironically

That said, I grew up with cassettes, got my tape deck and a walkman still, tons of old metal band cassettes too. Sure I feel like kids are gonna miss out on the experience, but they're a thing of the past. Inferior in every way to compact disc and prone to failure and degradation. A literal waste of time.

If you're an indie musician CD is cheaper than cassette as a recording medium and you don't have to waste money getting quality equipment to record cassettes properly.

It's just a hipster thing

To record music on my radio. I actually want to use my analog cassette radio for this. Its so convenient to use analog.

Not true user, fuzzy analog music sounds comfy

>cheeze pizza general
where's the cheeze pizza?

I see two pizza pans in op image

so close lol

You think cassettes are bad, but they're a godsend compared to fucking 8 trak.

>In 2014 Sony and IBM announced that they had been able to record 148 gigabits per square inch with magnetic tape media developed using a new vacuum thin-film forming technology able to form extremely fine crystal particles, allowing true tape capacity of 185 TB.

interesting

Does anyone on Sup Forums use data tape to backup their data?

>analog medium

My sides. At least discuss LTO for data archival purposes.

bands are putting shit out on tapes still. some punk with a "borrowed" tape duplicator has been doing 20-150 unit releases for local bands for years here

I'd rather go back to cassettes than CD. Fucking shits scratch up just looking at them

>It's just a hipster thing

news flash: indie bands and musicians try to exude hipness/coolness to have people come their shows and buy their records. at least the ones that want to make any money. if someone will buy a tape, fucking sell them a tape.

Thanks for stating the obvious, I appreciate it

Wrong, 8-track was the betamax to cassettes VHS.

No rewinding, cheaper to produce, better audio quality.

The problem with 8-track was that the player was slightly more complex and thus cheaper ones, which is what it was all about for many people, were prone to malfunction and poor playback.

My mini mayfair still has a fucking 8-track deck in it, I don't use it anymore admittedly but damn son that thing got me through some rough times.

I only realized the similarity now, well shit I ain't gonna change it.
God Optimus was good back in the day, what the hell happend to it?
How about no?

nice topic OP

got this fucking tank from the 80's but never had the opportunity to try a cassete in this guy (I was told it was 100% working though), been only using it to play my LPs. Unfortunately my godfather and my parents gave their big collections of LPs and cassetes away and its being very hard to find them here, as a matter of fact yesterday I went to 4 different 'old books, LPs, CDs and DVDs store and didn't find 1 single cassete...I guess I am gonna have to buy online, which I was avoiding...

sorry about the low quality pic

"Stu-stuhp liking what I don't like! It's inferior to compact discs!"

Who cares? It's still a lossless format still used by underground artists around the world.

Holy shit, that is a giant metal beast, user. How did you acquire it in the first place?

And yeah, cassettes aren't as popular and novel right now as opposed to LP's.

Which I really don't understand, since cassettes are cheaper to purchase, more poetable and you can skip and rewind on the device; you can even record sound and make mixtapes.

can only be nagra
premium tape

>Swiss made

Now that's quality, alright.

were the only thing to use for motion pictures

they still fetch prices

youtu.be/erpZRWYASws

every single 1 of those (say 'amstrad') had dual tapes , cos everyone was copying tapes

the FEATURES .. look @ all the buttons

also required (biro)
only oldsters will know why

youtu.be/IJ81-TMP4pI

they got the wonky sound on this (cassette)

youtube.com/watch?v=qA3r9NUoAHk

that's extremely sexy

Got it in a pretty nice store that only works with vinyls, very good price too, came with the 2 original solid wood, heavy, big-ass speakers. Bought two LPs along with it and the guy pretty much gave me a brand-new 'the doors' self titled LP.

That store is cozy as fuck, its probably the best here in my city for this kind of stuff. It has one store for international/used vinyls (not american, so 'international' is pretty much US classic rock, led zeppelin, T-rex, lou reed, doors, bowie, etc.) and another whole store next to it with brand-new CDs, DVDs and few LPs

This thread made me thinking about getting my Nad deck from storage.

>Look the prices of type iv tapes from Ebay.

Imma leave the Nad in the storage.

Here's my Panasonic.

The other problem with 8-tracks was having to fast forward through the whole damn tape to get to a song. Being able to reverse and flip the tape over with cassettes were good things.

Also two little wads of paper for when you wanted to record Beastie Boys over your mom's Barry Manilow.
And this for when things got ugly.

I've got an old reel to reel with a missing fuse. Would you have any idea what it used? Its a akai ds somthing

I've bought at least 6 decks at thrift shop and I've only got 1 that is fully functional. It's a bitch.

Yes, because cassette player threads come up so often at the same time that we needed a GENERAL for them.

yeah - had to think then
little wads of paper or tissue for the place where the tabs were - taken out once something is recorded forever. little lever within the player is pushed - system "can record".

not an expert - just liked the look of the "nagra"

what about RTR ?

Well it draws attention, so that kinda proves you wrong.

Well it draws attention, so that kinda proves you wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA

Kek I use my fingers.

>pretty healthy

fag

Just got a mini cassette player yesterday for playing all my dungeon synth albums. The scene is based primarily around homemade, self-distributed tapes, not sure I'd own one otherwise.

What do you guys play on yours?

I had something like this when I was in elementary school, the strange thing is I started off having a portable CD player but decided to see what it would be like to record and listen to cassettes, the quality was astonishingly lower, but it wouldn't skip no matter what.

I just bought three tapes for €1, two of them still sealed. They're nothing special: Cristopher Cross' self-titled, Rick Astley's "Hold Me In Your Arms" and an early British pop compilation. Damn, I had forgotten how good tjis Technics RS-B18 deck sounds.

Whats a good portable cassette player that has a radio function as well as a loudspeaker? I want to get one for traveling so that I don't have to get out a expensive phone in dodgy areas.

Metal tapes are extremely overrated. Just get good type II tapes, like Maxell XL-IIs or Sony UX-Pros. Pretty much same frequency response, less hiss, less wear on the tape heads and less biasing needed to record them.

Just some underground tracks, really.
Check out Aiwa's selection, they were the original creators of the thing.
Did you buy it online or locally? Also nice catch, mate

The deck? I bought it locally, yes. Picked it up as broken, just had to replace the belts, adjust the speed and clean up the internal record/playback switch for the head amp.
I made a video about it quite a while ago:
youtube.com/watch?v=JUTpPBQIEfs&t=1s
The tapes I bought locally, too, at a record store. I usually find my tapes in thrift stores, though.

Anyone know of a decent pocketsized player with line-out? Sony d6c is god tier. Sony wm-d3 appears to be prone to split gear issues.

Did you guys know the 'ol 3rd reich perfected tape recording? Just the nugget of knowledge this board needs.

I want to record digital music onto cassettes, to be able to play the cassettes with my player. I have this feature in my player but it doesn't work (the recorded audio's pitch variates). Probably cause it's a cheap and old mini-hifi.

Anyone know how to properly fix cracked gears on old tape decks? I got a 70's unit that would really nice in my setup, but it currently doesn't work because one of the gears cracked so it doesn't sit properly on the shaft it was on anymore.

Indie bands are putting music out on cassette. It's cheaper than compact disc production and it prevents piracy.

Neither of those statements is true

I've a hard time beleiving it's cheaper to put it on cassette.
Only because it's old/simpler hardware it doesn't mean it's cheaper. It's quite the opposite considering they're not mass produced anymore, atleast not at the scale CDs are.

It definitly does not prevent piracy either. A person who buys casette most likely has some way to rip it to a computer.

tapes and vacuum tubes actually outperform disks and solid-state transistors for computing in the theoretical limit, it's just that they're very sensitive to production error so they're not viable to work with at scale

How is it cracked, though? Is one of the teeth missing or is it the gears body that has a crack?

Only way is to glue it back together.

Yes they are. Are you in a band? Have you priced album production?

Willing to bet the answer to both is no.

How do I know both those are true? I've sourced and priced a limited album run on cassette.

So kindly fuck off.

Please see article.

performermag.com/band-management/music-promotion/7-reasons-your-band-should-release-your-music-on-cassette/

Cassette is cheaper until you get to around 1000 albums. Most small bands are trying to figure out how to pay for travel to their next shows and don't press more than 250 albums in a run.

I love tapes. Here's my also cassette deck. It's not super fancy, but it's from the 1970s and I bought it a couple of years ago and it was in pristine condition

Jesus, I owned one of these. It was fucking superb. Boss Drum by The Shamen belting out on a set of Sony in ear headphones. Great!

Hello bros, here's mine stuff. Small, shitty looking walkman is 16+ years old and is actually fully functional, i'm pretty sure it was the best of the cheap ones, I'm keeping it as a memoir and in case i want to listen to some tapes. the big ghettoblaster is some japanese stuff from the early 80's, its heavy as fuck and incredibly loud, seriously, it's amp is like 5 times as powerful as it should be to the point that for a long time, with proper speakers, it serwed as my pc soind centre. Right now it's used as an aux music player, its own speakers are great too and some gimmicky 80's surround effect actually works.

NO MORE GENERALS

there needs to be a board for this shit

Sony deck user here again.

This time I'll show off my Panasonic RQ-J5 I bought last month. It's got some really bad wow and flutter. I know for sure that it's the tape player and non of my tapes. It was the first player I ever bought so it wasn't that good of a purchase.

Also I was thinking of getting a newer portable cassette player like the Jensen or the Broksonic TSG-45.

Anyone have any experience with either of those players?

That's wow and flutter. Replace the belts.

>Cassettes
>In 20 fucking 17
why not just use flac or at least vinyl?

Three heads, dual capstan, no need bothering otherwise.

I want MiniDisc to make a comeback

I'm here to laugh at newfags and trendy rich kids