What are Sup Forums's arguments for/against Unity?

What are Sup Forums's arguments for/against Unity?

>no 3rd party extension tool like GNOME

>anno 2017
>not using netbook remix desktop
why do you continue breathing

Nothing, i love Unity.

I just prefer cinnamon.

huge bar over the top that displays fucking nothing.

icons on the side.

they basically tried to copy macOS and failed miserably.

I use Cinnamon because it's not fucking retarded like Unity. taskbar & status bar at the bottom, can be customized with applets etc. Has a windows-like space for running but hidden apps.

Unity is fucking garbage (so is GNOME 3 but that's a different story).

>Arguments for unity

It's the only one that by default is fairly functional and adequate looking. Fairly stable, the global menu actually works. It has modern, convenient features and good shortcuts

Personal experience, I have had less trouble with shit like animations with it than GNOME. Not just as slow.

>Arguments against unity
There's like 2-3 themes, it's shitty to customize, you can't put the dock on the right or disable it and replace it with a classic menu, basically it's pretty closed.

It's fucking ugly as shit with its fisher-price icons. Might as well use macOs.

I don't totally hate it.

>purple. purple everywhere.
>launcher on the side kind of sucks
>launcher is ugly and isn't able to be made fully transparent without tinkering.
>top display bar just kind of takes up space
>default icons look like they're from 1999

>being this poor

KDE is better

>Using anything that doesn't support Wayland.

Enjoy your security vulnerabilities, May aswell use Windows if you're using xorg/xserver

>icons on the side.
Given that screens are wide, but often display documents that are oriented vertically, The side is a much more logical place to put it if it's not set to hide. And unless you're on a 4:3 display, there's still plenty of space to comfortably display photos and other horizontally oriented documents without truncating it or wasting screen space.

>they basically tried to copy macOS and failed miserably.
I thought they did pretty good. Every other dock clone I've seen up to Unity only looked like the dock, but failed at operating like it.

The HUD is also pretty nice for applications you're new to. Instead of going through every menu. You can just type up a command you want, and if something matches, it'll display the menu path so you can locate it the conventional way next time.

>huge bar that displays nothing
It's a menu bar just like macOS, only displays the menu when you hover the mouse over it. It does much more than gnome or budgie's bar
>launcher on the left
You can place it in the bottom of the screen

You can put it other places now.
run this:
gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Launcher launcher-position Bottom

Valid options are, Top, Left, Right, Bottom.

> Implying Mir's security model isn't superior to Wayland.

It's shit.
/thread

This.

I find gnome in general to be too hungry for screen space. I prefer xfce. It's just a looks thing.

FPBP

it's a resource hog, but the main reason i dislike unity is it's not a windows style DE.

the almost-dock on the left was probably quite cool when it was first shown but it's barely changed in 5 years

Pro:
>Instantly recognizable
>Most things are locked in, which means using another system with unity is easy.
>I love the feature where you hold the super key for a couple of seconds and it displays a bunch of hotkeys.
Con:
>dconf
>have to install several tools to alter basic behaviour, tools which is not maintained by the unity team, so it often breaks.
>bad default window manager
>bad launcher. It requires a lot of tinkering to get it to display the correct results and takes up too much of the screen.
>I don't personally like to have a dock.

Mir

One thing that I couldn't forgive was the implementation of themes.
The default is the purple thing you show.
If you change it to something else, say the light grey option, everything looks better.
But when you boot up, the screen is purple, and then the config is loaded, and then the background and stuff is changed.

KDE is better for me

Can't map window switch to alt+space. Same shit goes for gnome3 and wayland combo. Ah, forgot to mention they are locked up as fuck when it comes to customization.
KDE plasma, on the other hand works with no problems and have a holocaustilion of options to tweak.

getting long in the tooth. its was always a bit too fisherpricy but not enough to be utter shite for a long time, therefore acceptable. Now, we have mature Mate and Plasma5 DEs, so theres no need for unity anymore. And Unity 8 is going the way of Duke Nukem Forever, it was supposed to launch in what, '14?

The biggest problem with Unity (for me, at least) is that it's not configurable.

My brain doesn't respond to icons. My brain only responds to words.

When I see a whole line of icons on the left side of the Unity screen, my brain basically shuts off, and it's a huge struggle for me to get any useful information from it.

If those icons were replaced by words (like, for example, in a traditional Start menu), then suddenly it's like a light switch that turns on in my brain and I can make use of it.

I'll try to explain this in a way normies might relate to: Imagine seeing two newspapers: one written in english, and another written in a language where all the symbols are completely foreign to you (like, say, Chinese, if you don't know how to read Chinese). When you look at those foreign characters, you get no meaning from them whatsoever. Then you switch over an look at the english newspaper, and suddenly you get a flood of meaning from every place on the page. The difference is sudden and dramatic. That's what it's like for me when I switch from icons to text menus.

I am an absolutely 100% verbal person -- so there's a whole bunch of GUI that's either inaccessible or very suboptimal for me. It's utterly incomprehensible to me how a person could get any meaning from squiggles of color, but -- hey -- if someone has that ability in their brain, then they're lucky to have that talent. But for the rest of us, we need words in order to make sense of information.

Not customizable.
Window button stacking doesn't work right.
Looks bad.
Menu is shit.
That's about it for me.

Except in GNOME you can configure it to your liking, and improve functionality with plugins.
In Unity you can change the icon size and that's it.

Pros:
Comfy and pretty
Easy to use (especially for beginners)

Cons:
Heavy as fuck

>purple everywhere
Change your wallpaper
>launcher on the side
Move it to bottom, you can use Unity tweak tool
>non-transparent launcher
Again, Unity tweak tool
>top display takes up space
Unnoticeably small, and you can also make it transparent if it bothers you
>default icons look like they're from 1999
Which ones? Everything looks kinda modern, like from Aero era.

Everything can be fixed with tweak tool or by using a command line. It's a shame Unity doesn't come with the tweak tool settings by default.

Unity is an impossible goal because some cultures are inherently incompatible. This is why ghettoization hap– Are we talking about the same Unity here?

>Ugly as fuck
>Better options available (all option other than Gnome3 are better options)

Ugly i need screen space and don't have 1giga of RAM for this bullshit

Argument for is that I can get what I need to without fucking around with configuration or instability, it just fucking werks

You cannot underestimate the value of just fucking werking to the average person. It's literally the most important deciding factor for tech decisions.

Just fucking werks should become the motto of Sup Forums not some retarded shit called Gentoo that only neet faggots use

I can't have multiple instances of the same program in its own tab/icon.

I like the sidebar but I don't like the top bar. Either have one or the other but not both.

Why is this too much to ask for