Is the new macbook pro 13" without the touch bar meme worth purchasing as a computer science student...

Is the new macbook pro 13" without the touch bar meme worth purchasing as a computer science student? I currently have a surface pro 3 but I'm finding in all of my classes this semester I'm using the command line for pretty much everything and as the professors are teaching these classes from a osx/linux perspective, it's a pain in the ass to get everything to work on windows. Literally 95% of the students in my classes already use macbooks but they all are the 2014 models that have the proper ports on them. My concern is that the new versions with thunderbolt 3 will just be a pain in the ass when I need to transfer a file from my desktop, or any other computer in general, to the macbook because I would have to purchase a separate dongle. Also in the curriculum is a class in handheld device programming for iOS which essentially requires osx use and I would basically have to make the purchase at that point, but I am just wanting to get through all this shit right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/sch/PC-Laptops-Netbooks/177/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=hackintosh&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1
businessinsider.in/58-Cognitive-Biases-That-Screw-Up-Everything-We-Do/Post-purchase-rationalization/slideshow/36777361.cms
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I bought the nonTB MBP. its godly and the best computer I've ever owned. screen is amazing and the build quality is like no other computer. I def recommended it for CS. i'm a CS sophomore at Dartmouth and 95% of people have some form of a MB or MBP.

>should i buy a MBP
No, unless your parents are paying for it.

Yeah, you're going to want a normal laptop that gives you the freedom to install linux or a mac. You can just buy a cheap $300 laptop and it will meet all your CS needs. I'm using a thinkpad yoga 14". It's basically just a laptop but it has the ability to act like a tablet with the touchscreen. I just use it as a laptop though and dual boot. The laptop also supports uefi and legacy bios.

>My concern is that the new versions with thunderbolt 3 will just be a pain in the ass when I need to transfer a file from my desktop
You don't have a home server? Your desktop isn't even connected to your router?

>or any other computer in general
Wifi and millions of cloud services do that just fine.

>Also in the curriculum is a class in handheld device programming for iOS
So not like you have much of a choice either way.

The only point for a dongle would be something like using a second/third screen or a very old projector, and the only downside of the new Macbooks is the price, otherwise it's a pretty perfect laptop. If you're that triggered by the modern ports, get a refurbished 2015 version.

The shit you do in CS classes could be done on computers from the 70s. You don't need a $3000 facebook machine for CS

>just install ganoo/lincucks on it

Do you have the 13" or 15"? Have you ran into problems with needing a dongle for stuff like usb drives? Also what processor and solid state did you end up with? Do you have any problems with the keyboard and switches?

Yes I can do all those things but having a usb drive is just convenient to use and is still common.

Being upfront yes, my parents are paying for it.

I don't want to go with a 2 in 1, touchscreen, or tablet/PC ever again. I am getting really fucking tired of this surface pro, it was great when I first got it, and it did serve it's purpose just fine in earlier years of school and I could take notes on it just fine with the pen, but now I am just getting pissed off with the aspect ratio of the screen and how it doesn't sit well on college desks or my lap.

I'm dealing with very large data files and sets that basically require command line usage to manipulate. Sure I can use a VM but it's slow and still a fucking chore to deal with on a sp3.

>I am just getting pissed off with the aspect ratio of the screen
Uh, you realize that Macbooks got a very similar one, right?

If you're a compsci student you should be able to build a hackintosh

there's more vertical space on macbook than on sp3 at 1440p

>Do you have the 13" or 15"? Have you ran into problems with needing a dongle for stuff like usb drives? Also what processor and solid state did you end up with? Do you have any problems with the keyboard and switches?
13"
I have an Anker dock with USB3, microSD, etc. I use it occasionally.
see pic for tech specs of what I bought.
I like the keyboard a lot. I got used to it after a day.

Get a XPS 13.

this or really just use any fucking linux.

buying a mac just for this ONE purpose is patently retarded

>t. mactoddler

>and the best computer I've ever owned
>95% of people have some form of a MB or MBP.
That's just sad.

don't knock it until you've used it. I know it's easy to just dismiss it and shitpost about it but you will not find a laptop with a better screen and a laptop that's better built.

>better built

Sorry, but I prefer laptops which can be serviced by me. You know, so that I don't have to throw them away when something breaks.

ebay.com/sch/PC-Laptops-Netbooks/177/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=hackintosh&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

>old laptop with stickers on it
yet there's hundreds of thousands of happy ppl. ther'es thousands of reviews not confirming any of that shit on these post-it notes.

I fail to see what your point is... other than trying to shitpost. if shtting on MBPs gives you so much satisfaction, your life must be depressing.

>laptop
>servicing
kek'd. good luck with that. they're all becoming impossible to service without a heat gun because of miniaturization.

Get a 2014/15 13 inch retina macbook pro

Those were the best ones, touch bar ones are far too expensive and entering meme status

>a mactoddler has defended his throttling overheating fruity trash

>the best ones
That's pretty fucking sad. Why does Applel set the bar so low?

I've found my macbook great for CS, no need for linux, good software for general crap, and zsh shell with all the packages you'd expect on a linux system whenever I need it

Use it over my windows desktop now

My ThinkPad is really a laptop first that just happens to have some tablet functionality. You can save a bunch a money by buying a ThinkPad like mine that just doesn't have the touchscreen.

Because all mactoddlers use them for is updating facebook.

See, it even still has the clit mouse on it.

Conclusion: macbook pro is the best notebook in its class

hmm

>t. mactoddler

But you are the one that posted the review

>its all shills

Doesn't it have a 16:9 screen in a body allowing 16:10? Pretty haram.

All Apple PR cares about is nice words since they don't understand facts, and neither do mactoddlers. It's the only way to get early review units while sneaking in real tests.

>Apple PR cares about is nice words since they don't understand facts
"People who get paid millions and worked for decades in their industry don't understand what the fuck they are doing, but me in my moms basement, I KNOW!"

I dont know about that, the guy had some solid arguments before saying the MBP was the best in class.

What makes you feel like this review is paid? Notebookcheck is a respectable source.

It's not a respectable source if they praise something I don't like nor ever used.

>best in class.
>performs worse than acer

see >they don't understand facts, and neither do mactoddlers

All mactoddlers need is to hear the words "max r da best xDDDD" and will filter out all reality.

>All mactoddlers need is to hear the words "max r da best xDDDD" and will filter out all reality.

Says the guy that sees the apple logo and filters out all reality.

>t. mactoddler

Just buy a used thinkpad faget. Why did you buy a surface?

/thread

Why would macfans care about reviews saying it's the best if they think that way already?

How do you explain and unbiased person reading the review, buying a mac, being happy with it and continuing to buy more Apple stuff? Is there some kind of brainwashing software pre-installed with macOS?

Also how do you explain Apple outselling everybody in premium laptop market and having the most satisfied customers?

>Why would macfans care about reviews saying it's the best if they think that way already?
You don't quite understand the point of marketing do you?

>$1k+
>2 ports including power

>the most satisfied customers

It's ok, I too used to be a mactoddler like you.

businessinsider.in/58-Cognitive-Biases-That-Screw-Up-Everything-We-Do/Post-purchase-rationalization/slideshow/36777361.cms

Just admit your a Reddit browsing weaboo faggot who loves to suck black dick

The point of marketing is to attract new buyers, fanboys don't give a fuck about what reviews say so buying reviews to get fanboys is a waste of money. Take consoles, if some kid loves Sony or MS or Nintendo, you could write about how much the shit suck as much as you want, they will still buy the system.

When it comes to new buyers and keeping them, fake reviews alone aren't enough since the people will realize if a product sucks when using it.

So why doesn't it affect the others?

That's a given when you buy Apple products.

>mactoddlers
>people

There's the flaw in your reasoning.

HOLY SHIT, A BLACK GUY, WITH A WHITE GIRL, I AM SO TRIGGERED.

These are the fanboys, they don't give a fuck. Nobody is talking about them.

>t. iCuck

Kek, how many pics do you have saved?

>HOLY SHIT, A BLACK GUY, WITH A WHITE GIRL, I AM SO TRIGGERED.

It's ok.

Some skinny as fucking white loser is banging my African Nubian Queen and about to get half her money.

Fuck me, this pisses me off to no end... Serena of all people.

wtf, is that Serena Williams?

Aint her father like, Mr. King Nigger hates all white boys?

How the hell did that happen?

At least he got a nice beard.

lol Her dad must have a fucking nigger Aneurysm every time he sees them together.

Too many retard in one picture

Poor nigger Serena being used as some fucking white boy's beard.

Pretty sure he gets to fuck all of her nigger holes whenever he wants.

What happened to Serena's self respect?

Install linux you cuck

>lol Her dad must have a fucking nigger Aneurysm every time he sees them together.

FUCKING

KEK

>you will not find a laptop with a better screen and a laptop that's better built.

DELL XPS 13 would like a word with you.

Wish it came with a better GPU though, then it'd be perfect.

OPEN IT SHOW ME THE LIQUIDS

GPU probably doesn't matter for a CS course. The HP spectre looks nice as fuck too.

Subpar build (although most issues are with bios) and shitty screen with horrible aspect ratio. Only the resolution and bezels are worth mentioning and the resolution gets cucked by the OS.

Now that's a great laptop.

if I have a 2011 macbook pro that the screen randomly goes to black on do you think I could get some $$$ for it?

No, but it's nice for gaming on the side.
I don't know if they did not use one to save space for extra battery, but I could see that as an issue.

>DELL XPS 13
it's a plastic piece of shit. you've obviously never tried new MBP... or any MBP for that matter. you simply don't understand what you're missing.

I would love to use Mac but gayming.
Most of it is Minecraft but I like some other light games.

If you absolutely have to, you can always make a Windows partition. The internal GPU is more than fine for "light games", hell I made GTA IV playable on a fucking Air with some tweaks.

It's some hardware differences too.
I am drawn to the Surface Book because of it's great battery life.
I'll probably buy one because of the ability to use it to take notes with the pen. The MBP offers no similar things and while I am into stationery, it would be nice to reduce weight.

> the ability to use it to take notes with the pen
It's not as nice as it sounds in theory. I didn't try it on SurfaceBook but had other laptops (and tablets) with that option and it's pretty meh-tier, no where close to pen & paper. Sketching is cool though.

I'd have to try it out in a Microsoft store.
If Lenovo would put out a high end laptop I'd love to try it but for now it's the Surface Book or Macbook Pro.

>t. mactoddler

>or any MBP for that matter. you simply don't understand what you're missing.

Well I'm not missing having to carry two bags, one for my MBP and one for all the dongles I would need throughout my day. Seriously though, I've used an XPS 13 and it's plenty sturdy. There's no flex or anything you get with crappy plastic netbooks from WalMart. When done right plastic is a better material than aluminum. It's more resilient to damage and absorbs shock rather than transferring it to internal components. There is literally nothing wrong with plastic unless you're a moron consumerist that thinks computers should be pieces of jewelry.

>There is literally nothing wrong with plastic
Beyond feeling like cheap shit. Only the older ThinkPads had somewhat decent plastic.

>mactoddlers think carbon fiber is plastic
>posted from his fruitychinkbook trash made from crushed beer cans

Good plastic is actually more expensive than aluminum, but go ahead and keep believing that aluminum is some kind of expensive special material.

Well technically it is a combination of various polymers. He's still a mactard though.

Just get an xps 13/15

Seriously man, macs are associated with homosexuality now. You really want to ruin your entire life over a fucking laptop?

>now

>Good plastic is actually more expensive than aluminum
Nobody says it isn't, or that aluminum is expensive or special. (Also it's not the material but the handling that really raises the price) Not really relevant for the XPS discussion, given how it uses mediocre plastic, and even if it were good, the durability hardly justifies the shitty feel. If you at risk damaging your laptop, the material used is your smallest issue. At least Microsoft uses magnesium alloy which is probably the most premium material out of them all and feels decent too.

>mactoddlers unironically think carbon fiber is mediocre plastic

How's that buyer's remorse treating you?

>Seriously man, macs are associated with homosexuality now. You really want to ruin your entire life over a fucking laptop?
This, unless you are fucking degenerate scum then I don't see why you would ever consider getting a mac. Also they thermal throttle like crazy even the "pro" ones.

I have an XPS 13. It's just a shitty overpriced mac clone.

>i've never owned an xps13

>implying I would lie on the internet

The XPS uses less plastic than a MBP with the same screen size, moron.

I suppose. It's a great little laptop. It's a little expensive though. You can probably get better spec hardware going for a clunky gaming laptop or a cheaper consumer brand.