I have lost basically all fucking interest in gaming, which was one of my main hobbies

I have lost basically all fucking interest in gaming, which was one of my main hobbies.
Lately I haven't been doing much other then watch YouTube and browse Sup Forums.

Well anyways, what are some cool technology related hobbies? Really wish I had more stuff to do.

I was thinking of maybe ordering chink shit and making things (Like a taser for example) but I don't really have many ideas.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5xw8DJY7aZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8nxQoeyHQ40
youtube.com/watch?v=RV7pmE4MC-I
processing.org/,
threejs.org/),
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Video games waste of time. Waste of life.
Smartman learn to program.

Yea they sure are man, that is why I quit them. You learn nothing, achieve nothing, and just waste a shitload of time.

Bump

Nothing wrong with gaming but if that's your Only hobby, then I can see why you're burnt out on them. I still play games often. Usually for an hour or more after work. But I digress.

Depends on what you want to do OP. Want to create content? There's programming. There is also amateur photography. You can learn to edit your own content. I personally picked up networking. Made my own file server. Turned it into a print server as well. I rip and encode all my own movies and music to share across the network. Let's me play with setting up server stuff. Also going to start messing with thin clients and network OS installs.

im at the same point op

considering selling all my shit, I don't even know why I bothered with computers, I'm not smart enough to be a programmer or engineer, I just liked to game

I mean there is nothing wrong with it, if someone likes it then good for them.
My only issue with it is that I got extremely bored of it.
Really I started losing interest a couple years ago, and now it's 100% dead.

I don't think I would be good enough to program, if not I would have gone for that. Maybe creating videos would have been good but I have no idea what I would do.

I am not selling shit because I use my computer most of my spare time, just not on games.
I really want to figure out some new hobbies though, or things I could do.

I like hiking, camping, hunting, and all of that but I can't do it often if at all. So it has to be tech related.

you have decision fatigue, you probably have trouble choosing movies to watch so you end up watching things you've already seen a bunch over and over. it's the new plague with the invention of instant everything always forever technology

Pick up a scripting language like python and write basic shit like a text game or something, then work your way up from there.

Cryptography is fun.

I wouldn't say that I have exactly that mate, I don't really do that. I have been feeling bored though.

I'll look into it, thanks.

>Cryptography
What does it require?

there's always anime, user-kun

No, never.

Antidepressants

No need.

I recommend you explore the process of creating symbol by systematically posting an image/text that makes seemingly no sense for a long time in Soon you'll notice how this image/text that made no sense begins to garner its own sub-culture and following in the board. It's a really fun experience to have.

Basically you can become a meme expert in as little as 3-months of methodical funposting

Here's what you should do OP, stop bothering with expensive high end computers, just use a simple modest laptop and try to keep your life as minimalistic and clean as possible. Get a good pair of headphones and start cultivating a rich taste in music, go jogging every day and start working out at the gym. Get a hobby like hiking, or anything outdoorsy.

>loses interest in a primary hobby
>does fuck all except browse Youtube and Sup Forums
It's depression, bro

Photography.

Lol

I am not bothering with high-end computers anyways.
Like I said here I love all of that outdoor stuff but I live in the city, and don't have a lot of chances to do all of this.

Nope, I am fine dude. Not depressed.

Could be good

>What does it require?
For an engineers needs, not much more than general knowledge of computers.

>engineers
Well

That's what everyone who's depressed says. I said the same like 3 years ago

Dude how am I depressed when I don't feel depressed? Not everyone is the fucking same.

>Dude how am I depressed when I don't feel depressed?
lol that's now how it works, it's not a feeling it's a chemical imbalance in your brain that leads to lower overall energy, motivation, and enjoyment over the course of years

Dude probably just burned out.
When that happens to me I just lie in bed for a couple of days until it passes.

I guess, it's not that bad at least. I feel fine.

I'm only saying this because OP's situation mirrors mine almost exactly 3 years ago, and I probably would have gone on like that for the rest of my life if a prof of mine who was also a psychiatrist didn't notice my grades on exams being lower than on mocks

6 months of some super mild medication and I've never felt better

I'm doing fine dude. I haven't been gaming much for like what, two years? So it's not a new thing.
I just don't have many hobbies that I can do everyday, and am looking for some new ones.

Cars are something completely different than Sup Forums and Sup Forums shit, you'll spend more time outside but they're still very mechanical and straightforward

you like reading?
got myself an ereader last year & been reading a lotta shit on my commutes and in random bits & places
Shadow of the Torturer is making me feel funny

But would have to dedicate a large amount of money, wouldn't be able to afford that right now.

Time to learn how to program.

>Well anyways, what are some cool technology related hobbies? Really wish I had more stuff to do.

program bots for advanced shitposting on irc and discord

Honestly dude I fucking hate reading, I don't like it at all.

Eh

Some dude raced a $500 Craigslist BMW in the WRC against $400,000 purpose built racing machines and came in like 3rd in his class

Fuck haha that is cool. Is that someone from /o/? Plus it requires you to learn quite a bit, requires a lot of money (For parts and tools), and requires a lot of time.

I do like cars though, so I would if I had a good source of income.

>implying /o/ isn't full of bitter busriders

>tfw only enjoy videogames, Sup Forums, and music
>tfw tired of videogames
>tfw not good enough to play what I want to play on piano or guitar
>tfw been playing 10 years
>tfw not creative enough to write music
>tfw the only thing I do with my free time is browse Sup Forums and sleep

play harmonica ez and fun

if you like sims there is a entire hobby you can waste your life on.

youtube.com/watch?v=5xw8DJY7aZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=8nxQoeyHQ40

I have no interest in that.

fag

Create an online community and watch it grow.
Doesn't matter if it's an imageboard, irc, forum, bbs, tree-style-comment (ala hacker news)... just make that community, and allow it to grow.

-You get sysadmin experience
-You get to play with a culture that you're creating
-There's always something that can be improved upon.

Once you've figured out what you're going to do, buy a Sup Forums self-serve ad.

that's when you realize you might need to leave your basement

Congratulations, user. You've just unlocked /fit/ achievement.

You can now access /fit/ content and get /fit/.

Like others are saying learn programming it's gonna take time years maybe? But since all you had was Sup Forums as a hobby really take time to get past the basics. You can learn computer security, servers, cloud and other computer shit.

The idea of interacting with people is dreadful. Even on drugs I hate it.

I'm too afraid to tell my therapist any of this too because I'm afraid she'll think all our progress was worthless.

You can actually learn a LOT from video games, but I guess in the sense of the real world, you're right about not achieving anything.

>lost interest in gaming

Me too.

I only play one game now, Darkest Hour (Red Orchestra mod), without any passion at all.

Where to learn harmonica?

This.

I program php and have lost all hope for my life getting better. So I just program bots that do stupid shit on irc.

You can learn programming fast if you enjoy it.

Youtube.

why not?

you just blow in and out. I found a very old and crappy harmonica one day, started playing on it and liked it so I bought a pack of them for like $20

It's something you learn with practice

I agree bros. Sitting on Sup Forums and Youtube a lot better because

make robots, or go hack people for a living

Thanks for giving it a name.

>I have lost basically all fucking interest in gaming,
then you were never really a gamer to start with

Move to the country. Buy a big cheap block of land. Build a log home.
youtube.com/watch?v=RV7pmE4MC-I

Arduino/raspi kits

Small scale robotics (think make your own RC car)

Larger scale robotics (think remote control lawn mower)

Dicking around with tensorflow/neural nets. Especially using emulations of older video games or using widely available mass data (like weather data or stocks or some shit)

Uh.... Stupid phone apps?

You could become Sup Forums's dedicated logo maker with that

How come none of my professors could also be psychiatrists who can help me blame my poor grades on depression instead of just being lazy :(.

>Pay someone to help you
>Refuse to provide them with enough information to help you

m8 get a cheap guitar and install Yousician

you will learn guitar, trust me

i did

Fuck I would love to make a chan board, there is just so many out there.

Yea I feel the same way, every once and a while I'll try to play a game and I literally can't for more then 5 minutes.

Unironically suggesting vaping (if you're a smoker). Never learned more about electricity and electronics in my life...
>inb4 neck beard, kissless virgin, mong, autism..

I actually have a mod but my tank broke, and I had no good juice.
Honestly I was thinking about buying a new tank and some juice.
I kinda enjoyed doing and was a better alternative to smoking but it's not a hobby.

I actually like a lot of those ideas. How would I make an RC car? Sounds like some fun.

I was thinking of doing exactly this user. And for work maybe a park ranger or something? Sell animal skins and shit for extra dosh.
I just need some money and I totally would!
I have thought about this a lot.

Maybe I wasn't.

I have a good knowledge of computers I just need to apply it.

I lost interest mostly about ten years ago it comes back from time to time but I have taken to exploring different kinds of input like playing with motion creator on my hydra, or just planning different mapping plans using a multibutton mouse and left hand gaming pad. My fav right now is using a wheel in gta v with a mouse in the right hand and just doing random drive-bys. Some day with a bit of cash I'll get a an omnidirectional treadmill and sensics and revive gaming as a source of exercise in vr

I'm in the same rut. I may play a game every now and then, but mostly I just stay up all night watching trash on YouTube.

Try planning a project like building or fixing something. I replaced the CPU in my T430 a week ago and that's the most fun I've had in awhile. Gonna build an eGPU setup and a new desk next.

3D modeling, 3D animating, 3D printing, 2D art, interactive art (processing.org/, threejs.org/), sysadmin, freetarding, electronics, drones, circumventing the global surveillance system, hacking the gibson.

>Stay up all night watching trash on YouTube
Same here mate, and usually all day as well. If I am off that day at least, or once I get home.
I don't really have much fun anymore, maybe when I went out on the boat last weekend.

I would really like to build or fix things but I just need to know what.
That is why I was thinking of getting cheap chink shit, I can make some little projects.
I really need to figure something out.

>circumventing the global surveillance system
There is literally no fucking way user, you can't.

Can't wait for cordless VR, gonna be good.

Get a raspberry pi/beaglebone or others and make a project, get it to blink the lights to a song.. start there and then move to other projects

i was in the same place as you, but every now and then i got a new Project in mind, and when i am doing it everything turns back to normal.

i started with a homeserver for my PS2 vidya using a Orange pi

Sounds like you are bordering a mild depression OP.

If you need to, force yourself back into gaming, if only for the goal structure that it offers, then you can branch out into other hobbies. You probably will fail trying to pick up a new hobby if you can't keep an old one in the first place.

Did you try rebuilding and /or making your own juice? The builds can be quite challenging and mixing can actually make you money if you make a good juice. The only problem is if you're from the US. We here (EU) have a lot of small base and aroma crafters so we basically have unlimited access to different ingredients at reasonable prices.

Good idea, I can totally do this.

You run games off of your server? How good does it work?

Maybe man, not sure. I don't think I want to force myself back into gaming, I just can't, I am not interested in it anymore.

I'm in the US. I will try and get a new tank and order some tasty juice.

>Tech-related hobbies
Just go hiking and skiing dude, it's like you want to get diabeetus and get permanently fucked by a stroke at 43

I like outdoor stuff but I can't do it in the area I live quite often.
I do wish I could move to a nice state with lots of chances to do outdoor related things, and work as a park ranger or something but I would need a nice amount of money.

I moved onto playing with drones on weekends and travelling (when I have a fucking break).

Drones are nice, just somewhat expensive, same with travelling.

one man's hobby seems like a waste of time to other. Big deal.

But if a specific hobby is not satisfying you anymore, well then its time to change.

Good luck

Yup it is mate, thanks.
I do need to find some new hobbies though.

I remember you can make a taser from a disposable camera. I'm not sure if you still can or if they even make those anymore..

Programming is an amazing way to spend time on a computer
Try out new things OP - get a new pair of headphones, try out a different operating system, etc.
I bought my first Macbook earlier this year and it's been a fun time learning how to use MacOS for example

Yea you totally can, they are still sound around.

Thanks mate. Programming might be a good idea.
All the other suggestions are good, but not long term things.

Cool but again pretty expensive

Airsoft or paintballing. make your own guns and shit without the impending sense of doom of a mm of barrel shift with making guns

what are you talking about

Watch manly anime like a man.
I suggest Sakigake!! Otokojuku first, so you can start polishing your manhood already.

>I like hiking, camping, hunting, and all of that but I can't do it often if at all. So it has to be tech related.

you mean it has to be something you do without going outside and possibly making use of computers and internet?

try reading about the different languages out there, not learning a new one (for now) but the basic concepts of language, the history of language, start studying the beginings of human civilization as its bound to the study of language.

history of rome by mike duncan, some 150 audio episodes of 20min, start by taking a shit then listening to the same episode going to sleep that day, you'll fix one ep per day and jumpstart an interest for history as a hobby, its facsinating

I actually want to get into real guns, gonna buy one soon so I can go to the range. That could be one of my hobbies.

Fuck off faggot.

Thanks, seems interesting.

>you have decision fatigue, you probably have trouble choosing movies to watch so you end up watching things you've already seen a bunch over and over. it's the new plague with the invention of instant everything always forever technology

jesus fuck my ass, i am now aware that i have this issue, thats a start i hope

buy a arduino kit

And do what?