Barring a miracle, does AMD have hope in the long term?

Barring a miracle, does AMD have hope in the long term?

I want them to do well, but realistically, things don't look good.

They always under-perform financially, and they don't have the luxury of massive piles of cash to sit out a few bad years, like intel or apple do.

They consistently cut R&D spending, which is basically a death sentence when it comes to chip design. You can't compete effectively when you can't pay top notch engineers.

Most of their stuff occupies the unenviable "cheap" niche, which wouldn't be TOO bad if it weren't for the fact that their competitors STILL beat them on volume, and for much higher margins!

Are we looking at AMD dying a long and slow death, only kept alive by it's low margin console contracts and secret infusions of cash form intel and nvidia?

Or does anyone see some miracle happening soon that'll allow them to be able to compete effectively like back in the old days?

Thoughts? I'm really hoping something happens so that they'll start releasing stuff that's competitive on the high end of the market, and not just because it's cheaper.

AMD will be kept alive not due to their products, but solely to prevent monopoly laws from affecting nVidia and Intel.

that gets repeated all the time, but honestly, with the way the industry operates now, I don't think that's something intel and nvidia really have to worry about

the traditional desktop market where they would be a monopoly is growing smaller year over year. at this point, intel's biggest competitors are ARM based companies like apple and the like. i don't think intel and nvidia would really have much to worry about in the event AMD went under anymore, just because of how much the industry has changed.

Servers still need CPU's

Indeed they do, but the server market is much more diverse than just Intel and AMD.

For the high end, there are a bunch of RISC designs like IBM power, and on the low end there is the growing ARM based solutions.

Intel has a virtual monopoly at the moment in the server market on x86 chips, no one buys AMD unless there is a very good reason to do so.

So again, I don't think Intel has much to worry about regarding anti monopoly laws in the event AMD goes under. They basically aren't competing in any meaningfully way already, and they face competition from other vendors when it comes to server solutions

Also, there's the growing gpu based server solutions market, while those systems still have a token CPU to get up and running, all the hard work is done on the add in cards. And intel doesn't have too much presence in that market, even though they've been releasing stuff like phi and knights landing

Man don't you know the people that buy Intel are asleep right now? Oh thats tight you are in Israel.

Wait and see OP. Tbh I'm surprised AMD didn't go under when they bought ATi.

are you implying the only reason why AMD performs poorly financially is because the people highlighting the fact that they are performing poorly are jewish?

?

AMD does not perform poorly. Why don't your Jewish friends go back to shilling on the investor sites. Nobody buys your bullshit here.

>AMD does not perform poorly
Yes, it does.. They post losses almost every other quarter, and their profits the quarters that they don't post losses never cover it.

Are you denying facts just because you don't like them? Check their website, you can see their operating losses. Every other quarter they post losses.

>Posting year old numbers

AMD is on the cusp of releasing their best platform in years. Their stock price is up from under $2 a share. I just wish I held on to my stocks.

it's funny that I called you out on the financials, because I happened to see a bunch of you Israelis posting this shit there too. GTFO faggots.

Now tell me, do these measly figures cover those losses?

These numbers are all publicly available, and come straight from AMD. These aren't fake numbers made up by intel. They're right from the horses mouth

>posting year old numbers
you're an idiot if you don't think those numbers are relevant

the only profit they posted in 2016 was for q3, and it was only 27 million dollars. That does NOT cover their losses over the rest of the year

It's also known that they're going to be posting losses for q4 when they release the financial information on the 31st. They've been doing shitty like this for years, they're running out of cash.

You also seem to think I want them to die, I don't, if you've been paying attention I actually WANT them to do well, I'm just pessimistic that it'll actually happen.

>stock price
their stock is in freefall right now, it's been doing awful the past few days

Explain this

AMD's stock looks fucking awful when you put it in perspective

Explain what? Over the past week their stock has been getting hammered

Also look at

The trend over the past YEAR has been positive. I expect more of the same. You are a terrible investor if you go by the results from a few days of trading.

You're goddamn retarded if you think investor speculation on stock is a good indicator of the companies health.

Look at their net income and operating losses. They did awful for 2016. The company is in trouble, and has been for years. They even admitted it multiple times. Or does none of that matter to you?

AMD divested itself from its fab, which is why the stock price lowered, By doing so however, it wrote off a ton of debt, so the choice was a good one at the time.

>stock prices mattering for anything but stock traders

If the company was in trouble the stock price wouldn't be trending upward, for over a year. You are retarded.

>assuming a random user is a financial expert

AMD divesting itself from it's fabs was a good choice, but that doesn't change the fact that the company posts losses more often than not.

Plus they did that YEARS ago. Their stock price tanked because they were doing poorly after intel released the core series, not because of a smart decisions to spin of glofo
most people applauded the glofo decision

Yes, they would... It happens ALL THE TIME

Stock price has little to nothing to do with a companies health. All stock price means is that people are making money buying and selling stocks

>retarded

why don't we just ignore this retard and discuss what could happen to pull them out of this pit?

maybe good execution on their architecture release. AMD has never been one for good execution, but they might surprise us this time, and it might allow them to start an upward trend and pay off the debt

yeah I think thats a good start

the biggest think is they need to become consistently profitable

if they start posting profits quarter over quarter, they'll be able to finally increase their R&D budget. once that happens, they'll be able to compete on a meaningful level because they'll have good stuff coming for years

amd has been doing badly for the past decade but they havent died yet

its a mystery

>If tulips weren't worth anything, why do the dutch buy them at such high prices?

what are tulips

They're like BTC.

can they be eaten

believes Intel is part of the great Jewish conspiracy because they have hardware engineers located there. Forget about the Saudis investing in AMD though. The hatred is purely coincidental.

i wonder why the belief in jews controlling everything is so persistent

its pretty ridiculous on the face of it, and honestly the people who expose these views clearly dont believe what they're saying, because if they did, the reaction would more likely be something closer to how the Japanese reacted during WW2

>the only profit they posted in 2016 was for q3, and it was only 27 million dollars.

that was only on non-gaap sheets where they 'hid' the 100mil loss from the renegotiated wafer supply agreement.

how dishonest

>long slow death
By which stats?
They're winning marketshare in the GPU market and winning all around more support.
The only market they're continually stagnating is the CPU market, and that's only because they haven't released anything in years.

So if Zen actually delivers it will be a hard blow on Intels monopoly, and the market will stabilize slowly once again, as long AMD doesn't fuck it up.

Even their financial results are better than the previous years, I don't get people like OP, do you just make these threads for the (You)'s?
It's shitposting at this point.

Stock price would rise for any company that it's about to release a new product.

People buy hoping to turn in a profit, if AMD wasn't going to release Ryzen no one would have bought their stock.

Ryzen can be a success or a failure it doesn't matter, to the people that bought stock when it was $2 it will turn profit no matter what.

Just look at what's happening to Nintendo's stock after the Switch unveil, this is what will happen to AMD. Either way the people that bought will profit in the end.

from the looks of it to me, the market cap got shifted from 7$ a share to 10$ a share, and with no new press conference from here to february, a bunch of people are cashing out at what they perceive to be the high point, likely buying back in at a lower number.

The key points you should pay attention to is the lead up to polaris, and then post polaris.

consumers never got high binned chips, that means that enterprise was buying them up, in large enough numbers that it took how many months for 1 brands sku to even get what we perceive as a higher binned chip?

Now vega looks to be an enterprise dream chip, If we don't see high binned consumer parts, you know where they went.

to top it off, zen looks to be something in a league intel has no answer for, in enterprise where the base cost of machines are writeoffs, amd looks to have something that has more power at lower watts than intel, and with their 4 die cpu clusters, features intel has no answer for. A response from intel that is anything more then rushing the 10nm node seems to be at least 2 years out, if not longer...

From the way I see it, amd is doing great, post zen financial reports will back this up though.

amd has not had a competitive chip in the cpu realm for at least 3 years, longer when you take power v performance into consideration, zen is amd's re entry into the enterprise space.

Autistic poointheloo is back at it again

because, when you take many of the most powerful companies, either seen publicly or privately, people of jewish heritage are overrepresented, media has over representation of jewish heritage along with being heavily sympathetic to israel who are internationally condemned outside of america because of violating borders.

The picture is far less black and white, but being anti jew has some reasons backing it.

>For the high end, there are a bunch of RISC designs like IBM power
stopped reading there

>They're winning marketshare in the GPU market
well they just rebounded somewhat after horrific drop

>Rebounding from a drop in market share is different from regaining market share

there are only two actually viable RISC platforms left in the high end and one is being run into the shitter while the other isn't really growing, both target different enough markets and make up fuck all of the overall installed system base anyway

I have never heard of a real ARM server platform intended for the mass market that isn't pure vaporware, let alone "growing"

Amd is doing fine. Especially because they finally have a competent CEO.

So you have AMD stuff as you are poor so you pull out the old "jew" bollocks.
Sad cunt.

>Interesting civilised thread about current AMD situation
>Some retarded vermin shows ups to defend his purchase

Every god damn time

>>Interesting civilised thread about current AMD situation
Not that guy but I'd hardly call this thread interesting or civilised. The OP started the thread off with the idea that AMD are inevitably doomed. It's like some cross between shilling and a concern troll.

He's a retard. ARM has been talked up as a threat in the server market for a long time with no real results. The other problem with ARM server chips is you've got a bunch of smaller companies competing with each other for whoever the fuck even wants ARM chips (Marvell, Nvidia, etc.)

Intel still has something like 98% market share in servers and that isn't going to change unless AMD wins some of it back.

People have been talking about AMD's death spiral for like 20 years and they still hang in somehow.

>Th-They can't keep posting these losses! AMD is done for!

Nigger they still have cash in the bank and more IP to spin off then we can even fathom. AMD isn't going anywhere.

The Ryzen 8 core CPU at 3.6Ghz is 0.6% behind the 6900k. They've lost their last chance. It's impossible for them to catch up to intel. RIP AMD.

this is a good post

proof?

Says who? The only official result we have shows a 3.4 GHz Ryzen against an i7-6900K clocked somewhere between 3.2 and 3.7 GHz (depends on boost). Ryzen was marginally faster using less power.

Both Zen and Vega must undercut alot otherwise DOA.

At CES people dicsovered RyZen builds running at 3.6 instead of 3.4 now. Eitherway, AMD has yet to show proper single core/single-threaded performance. If that and pricing fails it's over.

>asking this shit right as new products are about to come out

you are either retarded or a concern troll

just wait

>when you put it in perspective
you mean when you present data as conveniently as possible

we don't know shit until the real deal comes out in real peoples hands

this Ryzen is coming out this quarter

also Intel isn't worried about AMD so fuck off amdrones

nobody gives a fuck about nvidia ether they ain't doing poorly at all and losing a small share benefits us more than AMD.

stupid shills.

Yes they found chips running at 3.6 GHz with 4.0 GHz turbo but we haven't seen any comparative benchmarks at that speed so it doesn't say anything about IPC compared to Intel's offerings.

Are you retard or something?

AMD only exists because Intel and nVidia want it

so?
how the fuck does that have to do with anything, no benchmarks nigger

vega needs to either sit in between a 1080 and titan xp, or undercut nvidia's price... it could realistically do both on the consumer side and I wouldn't be shocked.

Amd NEEDS market share in consumer space and they aren't getting it by just being the better option, they have to force people to look at it and question life choices of getting a 1080, possibly even getting a 1070 if they price it low enough, this is an area where amd has little choice if they want to sell to consumers, and get enough brand power to force devs off the cancerous gameworks.

as for zen... they could price competitively with intel's offerings on the server side and be a worthwhile consideration at the very least, consumer side, if they don't push 8/16 for i7 prices, they may as well not even release a consumer version as they will be pairing up parts to close in performance to intel to get people to switch sides or even see a use in upgrading, but it looks like amd is going to price match an i7 for the 8/16 going on their hinting and what they said at ces, they are just milking it for free press right now.

but even if they release at 500$, that still a significant amount of power that just got released for far cheaper than intel, just not mainstream changing power.

t minus 5 week and counting.

What did you expect from a company run by a woman and a shitskin?

>implying AMD is in this state because of those two and not because of their incompetent previous CEO