I understand basic programming tenants. I know my searches, sorts...

I understand basic programming tenants. I know my searches, sorts, and data structures and I've made some projects in C and a few OOP languages that've I'm proud of but, short of outputting a text file and having another program read it as input, I have no idea how multiple programs communicate with each other, with the OS, or with an external server.

Where do I learn this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-process_communication
udacity.com/course/gt-refresher-advanced-os--ud098
udacity.com/course/advanced-operating-systems--ud189
udacity.com/georgia-tech
csapp.cs.cmu.edu/
Sup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I have no idea how multiple programs communicate with each other, with the OS, or with an external server.

You learned to program on Windows, didn't you?

They communicate with sockets, pipes, files, etc

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-process_communication

Just replace one of those shitty books with APUE. Then install Gentoo.

Yes

socket.AF_INET

You learn it in system programming:

Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment by Stevens and Rago
Windows System Programming by Hart
Windows Via C/C++ by Richter and Nasarre

Modern Operating Systems (4th Edition) by Andrew S. Tanenbaum and Herbert Bos covers IPC/sockets/threads and system calls.

Everything else is usually an API, so server X has a GraphQL/REST API sitting there waiting for other programs to script it and give commands. FIX Protocol run by NYSE is another example, so is RabbitMQ.

There's Erlang's concurrency model to pass messages you may be interested in, plus the paper 'The Art of The Propogator' by Sussman et all.

Oh, yeah, also Georgia Tech has courses on os and computer networking on Udacity. I occasionally skimmed their videos as review. Miles ahead of the cute chink that lectured my class.

>Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment by Stevens and Rago
This one is really good, but too old imho. "Linux Programming by Example" by Kurt Wall is pretty good, fast and pragmatic.

"Modern Operating System" by Tanenbaum is a classic that you must read, and there is also "Design and Implementation".

You may also want to take a look at "How Linux Works" and "Linux Kernel Development".

>Georgia Tech has courses on os and computer networking on Udacity
user, do u have links? i have trouble finding this...

Thanks you guys.

I need to face the fact that I completely squandered my time in uni thinking my courses would adequately prepare me for a professional environment. Unless you're going to grad school, University is a fucking meme. Least I have no debt.

Here's the prep course:
udacity.com/course/gt-refresher-advanced-os--ud098

Here's the main course:
udacity.com/course/advanced-operating-systems--ud189

>This one is really good, but too old imho.
But APUE was updated just three years ago? It's a great reference.

udacity.com/georgia-tech
Grad school can also be a meme. The median grade is a B. It's on you.

>Unless you're going to grad school, University is a fucking meme.
It really is. Use your time working on personal projects, a few freelance jobs, and at least one internship.

thanks user!!

>Unless you're going to grad school, University is a fucking meme

What the fuck did you study in uni if you never took system programming, comp arch, OS design, or networking?

>system programming, comp arch, OS design, or networking
What are some good books on the subject(s)?

CS:APP covers all of that
csapp.cs.cmu.edu/

You can buy it on Abe Books for $17 if you get the 'global' version.

Even if you don't have a BSc you can still get a PhD or Masters by either proving knowledge and being invited by a staff member (so, writing papers and getting noticed, or being a top innovator in a field of study relevant to said professor's interests) or you just go to Europe and take a 1yr "PreMasters" course which allows you direct entry to a real MSc or PhD track skipping Bachelor's entirely.

For example TU/e in Netherlands does this, it's how buddy from Tor who dropped out of college was able to get in as a PhD understudy of Tanja Lange and Dj Bernstein in cryptography

>CS:APP

cheers

>what did you study if not this one years worth of material

Sup Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

Thanks for making this thread OP I was wondering the other day but didn't ask for fear of looking dumb.

>CS:APP
>You can buy it on Abe Books for $17 if you get the 'global' version.

Ah so thats what this meme was about, fucking anti-freedom shill