Are gaming motherboards a scam?

Are gaming motherboards a scam?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/2Phj4D/asus-strix-z270-e-gaming-atx-lga1151-motherboard-strix-z270-e-gaming
ddr4motherboard.com/specs/MSI-Z270-SLI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

a scam is being told you're buying something but you get something else entirely. like you're being told you're getting an iphone but in reality you're getting a mandigo party for your wife.

gaming motherboards aren't scams. they're just not worth the money.

the cheaper ones are definitely worth the money.

simple gaming? yes
GODLIKE GAMING - no

They're a scam in the sense that they have to charge me extra for all those unnecessary ports I will never use when all I simply want is a budget board that can give me stable high end ocing on my Skylake.

Not really.

Just like any purchase, it's up to you to look at the specs, build quality, reviews and features.

I could give less of a fuck if the branding says GAMING or XL SUPER PRO or ARMOUR WAR EDITION as long as it does what I want.

Anything that is marketed to a niche crowd with more money than sense could be considered a scam.

As with all things, there are degrees of scam. In this case you're just paying more than something is practically worth. So I guess in that sense its more capitalism than it is scam.

... I never really considered how closely related the two terms are.

fpbp

May be better to think of them as over locking motherboards. Games run the same on a $50 board if the CPU settings are stock.

In general, if you don't know what it does, you probably don't need it. Not a lot of people have use for a >$150 motherboard.

Are lamborghinis a scam?

lol

What even is a gaming mobo?
All higher end models look riced but that also means more features, ports, newer stuff integrated on the mobo and so on.
Question is do you want a premium board or something more mid-tier?

If you stop to think on it, any luxury product is not worth the cost

You are right in that it can't be considered a scam, so then I would consider it a swindle, or simply just a dirty trick

>why buy their piece of shit, when you can buy mine that has a cool logo on it?

It has a fucking dragon on it. You will never go wrong with a dragon.

Gaming is marketing and not a luxury.

Luxury isn't always marketing.

>dual lan
>gaming

>not having separate lans for internet and nas

h-how m-much does this cost?

$440

No.

They *are* overall pretty damn fast motherboards with a lot of features, and have long been.

Of course having those extra, uh, fancy shaped coolers and covers doesn't really *do* anything extra, but for the most part the technology was solid even as far as computers go.

And ultimately beyond that, it's damn impressive what you already get for your money in "normal" computers. But yea, gaming motherboards actually DID various things more and better in general.

Last bit of information: That doesn't mean most people who used them needed these cool features.

> In this case you're just paying more than something is practically worth
No. It's -as such- usually worth that much.

You do get a whole lot of extra high tech for those $100-200 extra, plus usually software features.

I'm not saying the buyers need or even use this, but the manufacturers usually didn't "scam" for shit.

If anything, it's the buyers buying something way more capable than they actually need for their application.

So, is $200 the maximum that anyone should pay for a motherboard for personal use?

I got the Asus Z170 pro gaming for $100 after mail in rebate a while back, how did I do?

PS: I even think generally, most computer components manufacturers are doing a fine job (customers also look closely, of course).

Even with the large spec sheets these devices have, there are a whole lot of components that could be *utter shit*, but usually they are not.

Oh sure, not everything is perfect, but in general you are far from "getting fucked over" by that omissed spec or otherwise poor design. Yea, the onboard sound card you also got is probably pretty decent and hooked up in a decent fashion. The screw holes are reinforced. The actual speed of your USB ports and controller is at least okay. And so on.

Try that with other $100-300 consumer devices that are a fraction as complex (dunno, law mower perhaps), usually one or another thing (engine, starter, blade maintenance, oil port, who knows what) is a far more major pain for a lot more people.

I'd say so, some mobos offer things that are pretty useful desu like Bluetooth/wifi and other useful little things along with more than usual ports. It really just depends on what you need for the system

I am with the people who don't think so.

But it's realistic to say that most people don't need anything more than a $120 or whatever board offers, even for a pretty generous definition of "need".

You lost the warranty

Gaming gear have unnecessarily many phases for the CPU because muh overclocking.
They also have shielded parts that separates sound from the rest of the board
They have gold plated ports

All these things are mostly useless but in the end it's all making the electricity cleaner through the board.

So inter tingly enough a high end gaming board is perfect for studio machines due to these over the top things that most people wouldn't notice the difference between cheap gamer and expensive gamer gear.

It look gaudy though.

Well, if you're into flashy aesthetics, gaming motherboards are a must. Every other motherboard will look bland by comparison. Pair this motherboard off with an MSI card that's got that red and black scheme with the dragon and use a red & black Prolimatech Megahalem and you've got yourself a very flashy setup.

> but in the end it's all making the electricity cleaner through the board
You were on head-fi or some crazy place like that and believed their completely uninformed wild theories, didn't you?

Electromagnetic interference is actually a thing when it comes to sound.

yes you don't need to spend that much just to get from point A to point B.

I don't go to head-fi, but you must be quite ignorant if you don't know the reason we use phases around the CPU.

ASUS even said it themselves that they use twice as many phases on their gaming boards than their WS series, because muh numbers.
The more the cleaner, but if you spot 4 phases on the WS board you know that's enough for proper OC, using 8 phases is just going that extra step, that usually doesn't change much but it does make the electricity spike less.

>any luxury product
Poverty and sour grapes strikes again.

This board is so predictable.

Yes because they overclock better.

Also wrapping them in exotic woods and rising the price tag even more would help a lot with that clear studio audio.

Look, the audiophile bullshit doesn't check out in scientific tests and it doesn't check out when you closely look at the respective systems either.

For instance, right until you go from digital back to analogue again it doesn't really matter how "clean" your electricity on "the board" is, if it fully works it just was clean enough.

Not even related to anything "through the board". It's for running CPU with higher power draw.

No shit you use more or bigger VRM/POL if you want more juice with equal load on the individual VRM/POL for electrical / thermal stability.

I bought it because it had excellent reviews and overclocks really well.

i'm in the market for my first motherboard. when people say 'overclocks well', how does that differ from one that doesn't?

pcpartpicker.com/product/2Phj4D/asus-strix-z270-e-gaming-atx-lga1151-motherboard-strix-z270-e-gaming

i'm going to be buying this next week along with an i5-7600k

If it has what you want / need no.

bait

8+ power phases is better for system stability when you run your cpu overclocked and especially when you feed it a fuckload of voltage

(You)

Building my first computer in a couple of months. Is it worth it to pay extra for a Kaby Lake i5 over a 6600K?

You paid too much. The Asus A series boards (e.g. Z170-A) games have all the advanced features for less money. The only thing they don't have is a red color scheme and perhaps built-in WiFi. Arguably you shouldn't even be gaming on WiFi anyway.

Like I said above, the A series boards from Asus have all you need. It's pretty much the same fucking thing.

Of course that depends a bit on how much more expensive it actually is.

If you need a board with things like lots of CPU lanes and shit like that you might want to look at server boards anyway. They're usually a lot cheaper for the same thing. The only con is that they are usually green instead of some gaymer colour.

No because it completely depends on the person needs. What if you run quad SLI Titan X'es and need 12 USB ports?

>Are gaming motherboards a scam?

Yes

what are these

PCIe slotlets

>chrome logo
>plastic cover over the PCB
>gaming motherboard
Fucking lol

Choose a motherboard based on the features and reviews, not gimmicky shit.

>luxury
It's not a luxury product. They're literally re-painted motherboards with LEDs thrown all over them, just like gaming mice, keyboards and headphones. They do absolutely nothing different other than waste more electricity.

PCIe x1 slots

>1% difference
of course not

how are they different from the others, aside from size, and what do they/can they do?

Just run at different speeds (slower)

You can connect a x1 card with the tiny connector into a x16 slot if you like but it'll just run at x1 speeds.

they can power pcie x1 devices and nothing else. a pcie x16 slot can power anything up to a 16x device (x1, x2, x4, x8, or x16). a pcie x4 slot would be able to power x1, x2, or x4 devices.

For regular use with a single gpu, 4 ram slots and enough i/o for a lot of stuff, you can get a decent mobo for 60-80$
Sli/crossfire, heavy oc'ing, need for m.2 and nvme ssd's you can can expect to pay alot more

what devices can be powered with pcie x1?

No, it's a fat kid with only one eye and a big chin.

Most things.

Cards that provide 4 ethernet or USB ports. Sound cards. SATA controllers for a few HDD or SSD. And so on.

To make this more clear, on version 4 of the PCI-E standard that x1 can do very close to 2 GByte/s.

Looks puny, but it's ultimately still fast as fuck.

Depends on features.

I'd pay an extra $40 for inbuilt WiFi & Bluetooth and USB 3.1 type-c that does fast charge for my phone.

Would I pay more for LEDs? No I'm not retarded.

Just bought an Asus Prime Z270M-Plus for gaming. Other than the tiny number of USB ports its perfect for my needs and has a second ultra m.2 for expansion in the future.

Guys can I overclock with this motherboard?
It doesn't say anything about Overclocking cpu.

ddr4motherboard.com/specs/MSI-Z270-SLI

Considering saving some money if possible.

Compared to an Audi R8 V10 Plus, yes.

Why computer parts are even decorated? I never understand this. Do moronic neckbeards and coodoty kids really pay more because it looks cool?

People with no friends usually don't care about showing off their awesome aesthetics.

Should I consider a i7 6700k/Z-170 as a first build then?

Is there any difference between a 6700k and a 7700k?

t-that's more than my whole build is worth

Paying more than $150 for a motherboard is borderline retarded. You get 98% of the functions of the $300 board and the same overclocks.

What pisses me off is that you can overclock CPUs with a regular motherboard, but the manufacturers lock it out, same goes for non-K CPUs. I guess its an "exclusive feature",

Actual studio equipment is generally pretty minimalist and devoid of useless features. Audiophile stuff is a whole other market.

Were all friends here.

This is because PC gamers have big mouths and will absolutely shit all over any component online that sucks and do so with much vitriol.

>gamer motherboards
is there anything wrong with these other than the aesthetic? as long as they look acceptable and have a solid build quality, they should be fine

MSI used to have these perfect configurations on their plain old boards and strange, moronic configurations on a lot of their "high end" boards.

>get exactly what you need on a brown PCB
>get what you don't want and missing a few things you need on a black PCB
Why must they do this?

I always wanted one until I saw the crash aftermaths. Tin cans.

Does it have the features you need that other boards don't have? Then, no.

>$1700
>doesn't get red fans

Sorry, only one text stutter is allowed.

Judge me.

>red and black meme

>>Try that with other $100-300 consumer devices that are a fraction as complex (dunno, law mower perhaps), usually one or another thing (engine, starter, blade maintenance, oil port, who knows what) is a far more major pain for a lot more people.

That's because those lawnmowers are either made by illiterate mexicans or lazy union workers. PC components are made by hard working asians who consider a bad product to be a personal shame on their family honor. This is the real reason shit like the iphone can never be made here.

Those Asians also get chucked out of windows if they fuck up the assembly and everyone is told it was a suicide.

z270 can overclock

thx, I've never built a pc before so I wasnt sure if I have to buy specific motherboards with oc software or whatever.

wow... it even has 1/4" audio jack. I wonder if it could drive 600Ohm cans...

I know soundblaster Fx can drive 600Ohm cans...

If you are really really pushing for Overclocking your CPU, yes.

Extra power phases mean a "cleaner" voltage to the CPU(less variance), which can either mean a higher overall clockspeed or you'll be able to hit higher clocks at comparably lower voltages.

If you lose the silicon lottery with your CPU, it doesn't matter.

As far as chipsets go part of Z170 (and I'd assume Z270) include compliance for power management, this because Intel offers warranties now if you plan on pushing high Clocks on K and X cpus.

So basically Intel taketh away openness and replaced it with replacement, meh overall.

buy something based on what is has stop worrying about memes

aesthetics could matter to you too

so thats what I do with this shitty port

pcie is redundant.
The bigger the slot the faster it runs. x16 is the fastest and they are the big ones in the pic.
x1 is the slowest and they are the circled ones.

There are more traces, read up on lanes, to the bigger ones.
The cool thing is pcie is compatible wtih all of them, you can cut the end of a x1 slot out and put a 16 card in there and it will just run at 1x speed. Alternatively you can cut the fucking contacts off of an x16 card and put it in the x1 slot and it will function the same. But the second way is retarded.

jesus

It's not even a perfect cut.

I'm starting to believe all motherboards are a scam. I'm convinced they are essentially consumer garbage designed to last a few years and nothing more. Nothing really special about the construction or parts used in any of them, really. It always seems the ones with the most "features" or options have the most issues; like: the more there is the more there is to break.
It's definitely a scam to pay as much or more for your mobo as your cpu. Insane spending $200+ to run a 4 core chip.

yea, I got it from google.
They actually cut up into the board and past the fingers, that is actually horrifying.

Jesus Christ, why would you cut the card and not the slot?

>not just using Magic tape

I found "gamer" boards to be of higher quality, but I buy whatever has the best reviews.

some older boards (iirc) didn't have an x16 slot, they had pci legacy and x1 and people didn't want to cut up their mobo

But it's so much easier and safer to cut (or even melt with a soldering iron) a tiny piece of plastic, to make it fit any card instead of making the card permanently x1 only.

No.