/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

timezonewatchschool.com/WatchSchool/
youtube.com/watch?v=mD14QbBSGmk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What about under $2k?

Don't fall for the busy dial meme
as long as it's all coherent and theres good contrast between the different elements then it's fine.
Pilot watches are the best watches.

Also before you faggots start chimping out about the slide rule, it's amazingly useful.
Especially if you're constantly doing unit conversions, just line up the scales and you can convert whatever you want with a glance.

Question: is the ST19 movement robust? reliable? or is it garbage.

I'm on a pre-order for a chrono with the ST19 (one of Hong Kong Ed's).

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

thank you friend.

Question: is it also a 'nod' to a racing watch? or does Fortis *only* make pilot's watches?

I owned an alpha with one for a few months before selling it.
The QC is hit or miss. The most common problem is the chrono seconds not resetting properly.
Mine gained around 40s a day, didn't really bother regualating it though, so I have no idea how stable it is.
Honestly? Just avoid.
Mechanical chronographs just arent good below 1k (although hamilton, Tissot and Oris make a few at around 800 I think)
Fortis is heavily invest in aviation pieces, and they have a bunch of contracts with air forces around the globe supplying watches.
The one you posted has a tachymeter which is generally a racing compication though.

>tfw no money for a Sinn 903

>Don't fall for the busy dial meme
looks like you did

>All those grammar errors
/wt/ has a hate boner against anything thats more complicated than a dress or diver dial.

I don't know what /wt/ is, I've been on Sup Forums since 2003, and have since left to pursue other venues on the chan (the election's fuckery was the last straw).

But I digress. My autism and ocd require me to have rather plain dials. Busy dials overwhelm me, and force me to sperg.

/wt/ is watch thread, it's in the subject
Why can't you like both?

I'm the guy who ordered the horsebutt strap recently. Put the watch on it last night.

The quality is superb. Tough but malleable, and it's sporty while being classy at the same time.

May have been better to get a longer one, but it works wraps around my wrist well enough.

I can't recommend the material enough.

Link to strap?
Also, are those true wire lugs?

From the Nomos online store.

Someone here said these straps might be coming from Fluco.

The more I read about the strap and compare it to Flucos horsehide products the more I am inclined to agree.

And I'm not sure what you mean by true wire lugs.

A lot of watches have lugs that look like wire lugs, but theres a spring bar in the middle
A real wire lug will have the whole thing as one piece
I'll have to check out fluco then, cause that's a pretty good looking strap
Found a pic of my alpha

Not true wire lugs then. It has springbars.

Has anyone done the TimeZone course?

timezonewatchschool.com/WatchSchool/

Ah shame
Expected a little more from nomos
At least it's easier to swap straps I guess

Also cheapstnatostraps perlons are pretty good. The clasps are sturdy despite looking like shit.

>The Level 1, 2 and 3 courses do not cover sufficient ground to allow you to begin diagnosing problems and repairing broken watches. The courses are intended to give you a good appreciation for basic watchmaking tools and skills, and for simple mechanical watch movements. Please see question 15 below for information about who you may contact if you desire to learn more about watchmaking after completing the TZ Watch School courses.

Waste of time and money

I still have that bracelet, $50 if you want it.

Guy who just bought the Sinn556 from yesterday.

Watch is awesome, but the strap could use some work. I got leather as I already had 2 bracelets, but the leather is super stiff. So stiff it pivots on my wrist bone at an odd angle, doesnt truly sit flat. Will it soften enough? Anyone seen a NATO on it, they fit nicely on me.

nice fucking picture Michael J Fox

They have dive watches (see pic), racing watches, and recently, dress watches. But yeah, their heritage is primarily in pilot watches, being the official supplier of the Russian space program.

How do I find the model number for the OEM bracelet that came with my 3-lugged Seiko Kinetic watch similar to pic. Also, how difficult would it be to find a third party replacement leather strap for the watch?

My google searches for the model number (SKA233), and movement/case number (5M62-0AS0), did not result in any useful results.

All decent leather straps need a break-in period. I'd be more suspicious of ones that come soft (unless it's suede or lambskin or something).

How old is your watch? Might be out of luck if it had been discontinued for a while. You can always write Seiko to check.

Ok it's my first leather. How long are we talking here? Do I need to do anything to actively break it in ?

>but the leather is super stiff. So stiff it pivots on my wrist bone at an odd angle
Don't worry about that. Leather takes a little time to break in, especially the thick ones.
Wrap it around something soft overnight (like a watch pillow) and it'll break in faster.
I got it on a thicc shark mesh, and I'm saving for another sorry. Why don't you just use it? 50 bucks isn't exactly a lot of money to bother with shipping and stuff.
Here's a non shit picture, resized for your ISPs convenience.
>tfw you can resize an entire folder of huge pictures with just one line in bash.
linux is truly the watch autist's OS of choice.

You're probably right. I've had it for 12 years, and didn't see the same bracelet on any of the current models listed on their website.

>Also, how difficult would it be to find a third party replacement leather strap for the watch?
You'll probably need to notch it down yourself
If you want a cheap one to practice on get a kelaran strap, they're amazing for the price

So, to summarize, you bought a Sinn without a regimented case, de-humidified movement, and without a regimented H-link bracelet.

So basically you paid for "Sinn" on the dial of a generic ETA 2824-2 shitter.

Congratulations.

*Tegimented

>generic ETA 2824-2 shitter.
Oh fuck off, it's a great casual piece, easily better than any of its swiss competition in the price range.
I love the calculator watch unironically. planning 2cop after a Sin 903 and a speedy pro

I bought my brother the watch and the bracelet for christmas, he ended up preferring the nato more so I have an extra one.

Ah gotcha, so you don't have a meme blue of your own?
I still think it's a steal at $300, not sure if you can still use that 40% off code

No, I bought one for myself too with the bracelet. Guess I'll have to go shitpost on WUS a ton in order to list it there.

shitpost in good health kek

Does sinn make a 3-hander (optionally with date) with those things though?

ya several

Now if only sinn's website were working right now (unless it's some fuckup on my end).

A few days or so. Keep them compressed in a mug or cup or something when you're not wearing it, so it'll break in faster.

I wish they made a tegimented 903

>Oh fuck off

He is right though.

Sinns technologies are what sets them apart.

What's the point of paying like $3000 for an ETA shit?

>What's the point of paying like $3000 for an ETA shit?
The 556 isn't anywhere near 3k

What bracelet would compliment a 16610 style diver without being an oyster or a bond?
Would an engineer II suite?
Also no shitty Chinese mesh suggestions please

An engineer bracelet would suit fine.

That Pulsar an ok watch?

Was going to get it for a friend.

It's great
The bracelet is just like what a vintage date-just would have and the movement isn't overly loud or innacurate
Very worth the 20 bucks I paid for it

fug shitty pic

TGV just posted his one year review of the Seiko Giugiaro Aliens. What do you think?

youtube.com/watch?v=mD14QbBSGmk

Is this watch as good as he says? I'm feeling tempted to grab one on ebay.

Looks like I simply can't take a picture

Fuck off TGV. Hurry up with that Squale Tiger review already.

>16610 style diver
>shitty Chinese mesh
>probably a shitty chinese watch

Rate me

>brown strap
>black face
are you blind?

>black face

>>black face

first for chinese perfection

Nigga you're the blind one here.

>Nigga you're the blind one here.
So you're saying it's not black, and it's a color that goes with that brown strap?

>implying implications

What's the dial material?
Is it hand engraved?

It's stamped, not hand engraved if I'm not mistaken. If it were the latter I'd expect it to have an extra 0 on the end of the price.

Lmaooo it's navy bro..

And I'm a poorfag.. I just got this watch to work case it needed a new battery. The stretchy strap that came with is was broken so I took this strap off another watch. The only one that can fit..

Right now I'm saving up for either a vostok amphibia or invicta 8926

But I'm looking at pic related on eBay and gonna try to snag it for 20 bucks

Thoughts?

What brand is this?

Maison Celadon.

>1000$+ for made in China..

What kind of a meme is this.... Concierge Watches??

I admit the watches are nice. But China can't do this.. If it was like 200 I would get one.

They're well made watches, lawyeranon and a few others here have one.

China knows the meme game

you advertize concierge watches to the normies and pretty soon they think you fancy

Like the other one said QC is totally random. I got lucky with my st1940 than ran within 5s/d and a chrono that worked but plenty of others has theirs jam up and die in a few months. If you can buy used from someone reputable who's had it for a while and says it works that's best

Also to build on my previous point, just buy a quartz chrono while you save for a nice one

place vendome, faubourg saint-honoré et les alentours.

>Expected a little more from nomos
are you retarded, wire lugs mean you literally wouldn't be able to swap straps
using spring bars is l i t e r a l l y the same look, but actually practical. nobody would ever make a watch with solid lugs, apart from shit like autodromo group b which is a super sporty watch

>place of origin decides quality
are you one of the retards that overpay for """""swiss made""""" watches?

>wire lugs mean you literally wouldn't be able to swap straps
No it doesn't you moron
You push the lugs in and the swivels out on one side.

where the fuck have you seen that

Nope I'm cheap I try to get the most watch for my money.

But are you one of those fags that overpays for "premium" watches that come with fancy packaging and your own personal greeting card?

There are fixed wire lugs and swivel types

Guys help me decide if I should buy a stainless steel colored watch or gold colored.. Which one would be easier to wear with everything or different straps?

Pls no bully about the brand

>pic related

Or pic related

No. But I buy well made watches, regardless of where they come from.
If you have the chance to see a Maison Celadon watch in the metal, don't pass up on it. You'll realize why they're selling for those prices, which are actually kind of a bargain.

And what would be the advantage of that over a spring bar?

they're both awful so it doesn't matter

If you're going to get a dogshit invicta, at least avoid the gold one.

The closer your skin is to shit, the better gold will look on you.

Ok gold Rolex or silver bro?

Hmm and I'm guessing the silver one would be easier to do mods on?

It's pale white... So silver color?

Kek, this

Spic here, can confirm

Got this on AliExpress, love it! So dressy.

It's so easy to read, too!

Get mooned bitch

Lmao retards theyre's fixed lugs watch straps with a fold at the end instead of a pushpin hole.
Sidenote it would be cooler if the nomos had actual wire lugs

It's probably a Steinshit, which isn't far off.

>strap has to match dial instead of belt and/or shoes.

No it wouldn't.

Post your field watches.
On this pic USA, Japan and Russia represented.

I need a watch with a timer and a silent vibration alarm so I can measure my rest times on the gym. Can you recommend me anything?

As cheap as possible because I'm poor.

It's a really cheap watch, that's a basic copy of some of the Rolex Datejust features. Seiko takes lower quality and copy watches like this and puts it in the Pulsar brand because it's not good enough for Seiko branding.

Dogshit thread?

Dogshit thread.

Nothing wrong with a down-to-earth honest-to-God Seiko, mate.

What's the model of your digital Casio?