Opera 12.15 Source Code Discussion

Source Code: cesaserver.iust.ac.ir/vyvojar/opera/tree/master
Patches: github.com/PrestoXen/openopera-patches
Issue Tracker: github.com/PrestoXen/openopera-issues/issues
IRC Channel: #openopera on crowley.anonnet.org:6697
Webchat: site.anonnet.org/webirc/openopera

Other urls found in this thread:

rgho.st/private/6hdLkfsLr/199dd229dc50f995dc66b0a1fc744364
opera.com/blogs/security/2017/01/legacy-opera-presto-source-code-appearance-online-sharing-sites/
pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/superzaxxon-v1-76.79384/
bitbucket.org/prestocore-fan/presto
paste.fedoraproject.org/531393/49176771/
pastebin.com/7jaDGxcJ
mega.nz/#!k9R0XAZK!4FOIay_fUqLb93p7g91nPmlWmUZ7FZIEjTdo6apnISQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It would be nice if someone could get it working on Angstrom Linux.

so redpill me on developing this code; is it illegal to branch off of it and develop a new, modern browser entirely based on it?

If it has any of the old code in it, then yes.

so how does "rewriting" it work, so to speak? I'm not really a programmer, but couldn't somebody take all the elements that make this browser, see the tools and methods use to create it, and essentially make a clone of it?

I think of video games, because gameplay can't be copywritten, so popular games spawn a shitload of copycats. Couldn't you take "the rules" of the software and make essentially the exact same thing but in your own words?

Yes.

is anyone doing that or is the answer no, and you hope that by continuing to make Sup Forums aware of it that it will spawn a project to copy it?

Every fucking thread has this same convo.
Are you doing this on purpose? Is this the new fresh meme?

1. No one is currenty trying to make a copycat of it.

2.I'm fine as long as patches are made to it.

ARM soft float builds and runs. I still need to button up a few things before kicking out a package.

Qemu whole-system emulation caused more problems than it solved. Qemu only allows emulation of 1 core and 256MB memory for the emulated machine.
1. The machine can't build the code in "jumbo" mode. Not enough memory.
2. The code is broken in non-jumbo mode. There's a forward declaration of an incomplete type.

Building in an emulated chroot is much more effective.
1. Moar coars.
2. Moar memory (allows jumbo mode).
3. No emulated system overhead.
The only issue I had was the linker can't run in LTO mode. The 32-bit limit (4GB) isn't enough to process the entire codebase. To get LTO we'll need a cross-compiler.

Whole-system is still okay for testing the finished binary. As I said before, the whole-system emulator feels like a slow Pentium 2. Opera is responsive. Back before Firefox ditched armv5 it ran painfully slow. So this is nice. Opera segfaulted 3 times on startup, but that might be the GTK+2 integration library causing problems. It's stable now that it's running.

There's lots of graphical glitches in Opera's widget set when stuff gets dragged around, but webpages look correct. See tray icon. I'm blaming that on Mesa, since I seem to remember one of Opera's advertised feature sets was moving away from Qt to their homebrew 3D-accelerated widget set as part of Opera 10.50 or so, and also lolmesa.

how long till the opera code gets a light audit, security patches and is available on a .deb ? fuck copyright.

also what are the otterbrowser dudes planning to do with this ? they essentially were writing an opera 12 clone in QT

The Otter Browser developers aren't going to do anything different than what they were originally planning to do.

Why even bother with this level of autism when Vivaldi exists and is literally the old Opera devs?

Why shitpost?

Why use an ancient, slow, unsupported, insecure browser when a huge portion of the same features exist on a modern browser made by literally the same people?

>It's illegal, therefore we can't do it
Fuck the police, it's not like they're going on a witch hunt.

Just keep the code in a i2p git server. Tor is full of NSA backdoors.

The whole thing is about the presto rendering engine and a having browser that isnt chrome or a chrome skin.

Vivaldi is great bu it uses the chrome rendering engine.

This source code leak Is part nostalga (you wouldnt get it if you hadent used opera back in the day) / part justified contrarianism and free choice (see systemd debacle)

I am excited to see what people find in the code and an inevitable package release when it gets patched up - It will be great lightweight browser for old hardware.

Because Vivaldi sucks and Opera may be old and outdated but is still the best.

I used Opera back in the day. Unlike the emotionally undeveloped individuals on this forum I was able to move on.

I also don't do webdev so I have no issues with the Chrome rendering engine. Last I checked webdev was also hated by Sup Forums.

If anyone here has CPP experiance and would like to audit parts of the code, that would be noice. I'm gonna start looking at it tomorrow and see if I can locate anything spoopy.

Doing this is like looking for a needle in a haystack, though. So the more hands on deck, the better.

**I'm not a great programmer, but I can spot obvious shit**

I'd like it if someone setup either an IRC, or a XMPP MUC. Zero3K, please advise.

Vivaldi 1.3: still no syncronization, but you can change the colors.
1.4: We scheduled changing of colors! Also we've fixed 9 old regressions and introduced 10 new.
1.5: Have a Phillips Hue support!
1.6: We're working just hard, better believe us.

>he doesn't use tab splitting
>he ignores all of the features it already has and only focuses on what is missing

wew lad.

Let's go over what Opera 12.15 is missing

-Security updates
-Support
-Professional developers
-Funding
-Modern web standards (do tell me how your bank website reacts to Opera)
-Continued feature development
-Feature requests
-Centralized and consistent feature set (enjoy your billion inevitable Opera forks)

Never said i'm defending old Opera, just saying Vivaldi's no so good.

Why so excited? Take some pills.

I'm not sure what that list of things has to do with Vivaldi being no good then.

I assume you're like and don't have the ability to articulate your thoughts in a manner another human being can understand

rgho.st/private/6hdLkfsLr/199dd229dc50f995dc66b0a1fc744364
5 days until it expires.
4544aa3ce75f0e023c57dcd2cf902e8a258517ccd4bf1e44dc3d501bb23a37c0 opera-next-12.15-9999.armel.linux.tar.xz

No extra botnetting from me because too lazy. No idea if there was one in the original source so good luck taking your chances.

Patches, build instructions, prep scripts are included in the archive in the anonymous-patches-and-docs folder.

When code was being compiled it had armv4 march and mtune flags, but there was also NEON and VFP assembler files all over the project. I don't know exactly how old of a machine it will run on. Might work on Angstrom / Pandora. Should work on RasPi 1 with original Debian (armel) image. Probably works on old armv5 boxes like Orions as well.

Requesting pomf.cat mirror of this file to go into an archive I'm preparing. Rghost apparently keeps IP logs.

Thank you for your hard work and contribution to this community project.

Really? Fug. Might delete it now.
Ok by me, go for it.

rgho.st file deleted.
a.pomf.cat/vfzjcx.tar.xz
rename to
opera-next-12.15-9999.armel.linux.tar.xz

was my last post itt

Thanks for confirming two different people lack the ability to articulate their thoughts.

Just because I didn't doesn't mean I can't, you colossal dumbass.

I totally believe you random person on the internet with no integrity. Prove it or shut the fuck up. If you're not proving it you're only trying to convince yourself.

Why would I bother? to prevent you from winning your little Internet argument? I'll let you have this one, it's probably the highlight of your day anyway, you pathetic little fartknocker.

You using one of the browsers I use doesn't make me feel any better. I just don't get the point of saying thing without having the balls to back them up. Why post in the thread at all?

I don't really put too much effort into replying to shitposts.

Yet, here we are.

After the shitpost you called me out on my intelligence, that's a different story. If you post stupid things (such as recommending Vivaldi) then you should expect stupid replies (such as baseless claims)

1) you have yet to prove your intelligence
2) you have yet to say why someone shouldn't recommend Vivaldi
3) you keep replying back to what you consider to be "shitposts" which makes you equally as culpable

Just go to bed user.

>1
I really don't give a shit.
>2
Vivaldi is a joke. It's essentially a Chromium web app, a website masquerading s a browser. I refuse to believe anyone even remotely knowledgeable uses it.
>3
What I considered to be a shitpost was recommending Vivaldi, you fucking mongoloid.

>Vivaldi is a joke. It's essentially a Chromium web app, a website masquerading s a browser.

I don't understand this argument. They build features CHROME LACKS on top of a well known and well liked browsing engine. Is there some misplaced Google hatred that drives this illogical attitude? For all of these claims of a "Chromium web app" there's literally no application that does anything close to what it does.

>What I considered to be a shitpost was recommending Vivaldi, you fucking mongoloid.

Congrats, you don't have the mental capabilities to make your own decisions and blindly follow whatever the latest Sup Forums status quo is.

What a shit company now.
opera.com/blogs/security/2017/01/legacy-opera-presto-source-code-appearance-online-sharing-sites/
>respect

>They build features CHROME LACKS on top of a well known and well liked browsing engine
>on top of a well known and well liked browsing engine
>on top of a browser engine
That's exactly the issue. The engine is for rendering websites, not the browser itself.

Also
>Congrats, you don't have the mental capabilities to make your own decisions and blindly follow whatever the latest Sup Forums status quo is.
That's based on my own decision. Just because my opinion is a popular one doesn't mean its popularity had any influence whatsoever on it.

>a popular one
>on a single niche website

wew

This is literally only an issue on here. Use your words like an adult. How is this an issue?

>wew
It is a popular opinion on this niche website.
>This is literally only an issue on here. Use your words like an adult. How is this an issue?
Vivaldi sucks because the browser engine is for websites, not the browser's UI itself.

There, a proper sentence with the exact same fucking information. Wow, what a fucking difference. Quit your bitching and go fuck a chainsaw, you whiny twat.

>Vivaldi sucks because the browser engine is for websites

You're missing the "how" for this. How does this make it suck? Use your words. I know you can do it.

"It just does" is not an answer.

>There, a proper sentence with the exact same fucking information. Wow, what a fucking difference. Quit your bitching and go fuck a chainsaw, you whiny twat.

Someone's edgy. Don't like being called out for your inability to communicate your thoughts? For someone who claims they have no problem with this you have continuously showed that you do have a problem with this.

>You're missing the "how" for this. How does this make it suck? Use your words. I know you can do it.
Browser engines literally exist specifically for rendering websites, considering we're on a technology website I was assuming you knew this. Just leave the engine for its intended tasks and write a proper native UI.
>Don't like being called out for your inability to communicate your thoughts?
No, I'm just not a fan of whiny faggots.

>Browser engines literally exist specifically for rendering websites, considering we're on a technology website I was assuming you knew this. Just leave the engine for its intended tasks and write a proper native UI.

So in other words you can find no inherently negative reason. Great work! You sound like an evangelist.

>No, I'm just not a fan of whiny faggots.

Says the guy that is this butt-blasted over being called out on their ability to communicate. I'm guessing I hit on a key fault you realize about yourself.

Confirmed shitposter

Would you stop telling me THAT it is insecure and tell me instead HOW it is insecure? To my knowledge, no fuckin security holes exist!

using opera for banking. works fine.

opera is good for old days. not now . it really buggy and have security problem. especially youtube and google. Why do you mention otter-browser? it just ANOTHER shit themed webkit. (but not chromium that's cool). It is not different from vivaldi.
This is good because of Nostalgia. That makes it different.

I tried it on the Pandora. The libs it uses are different versions than the ones of the machine that built it. A PND containing the proper versions of the libs might work though.

*it and the proper

What libraries are reported missing by "ldd /usr/lib/opera-next/opera" (or wherever your binary is installed) ?

I don't have the ldd command. The first error I get when running opera-next is:

/usr/local/lib/opera-next/opera-next: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_ARM_1.3.3' not found (required by /usr/local/lib/opera-next/opera-next)

Hm, that's a libstdc++ mismatch. Two things:
1. In place of "ldd", can you try "/lib/ld-linux.so --list /usr/local/lib/opera-next/opera-next"? I'm not sure what your ld-linux.so is named, so it may be slightly different.
2. The libstdc++.so.6 file that is quoted in the error is usually a symlink to a versioned library. Can you tell me what your symlink points to?

>banks
>modern web standards
hahahahaha

2. It is linked to libstdc++.so.6.0.10.

Here is a link to a forum post regarding the latest version of SuperZaxxon (which is the custom version of Angstrom Linux made for the Pandora):

pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/superzaxxon-v1-76.79384/

How did this leaked?

I often see those icon on windows on the upper right screen, where they come from?

They are the New Tab and Closed Tab buttons.

Someone put its source on Github.

Well...sorry but my question was dumber, and sorry for the off topic: I meant the usual 3 icons of Windows; why I have different icons, but I often see those 3?

is this a build of opera with their old engine and not webkit?

It's funny it's alive on bitbucket now. Let's see when it DMCAed.
bitbucket.org/prestocore-fan/presto

Given CXXABI_ARM_1.3.3 and libstdc++so.6.0.10, it looks like your distribution was built with GCC 4.3 (ABI format finalised early 2008) or one of its descendants (through 2011). It is a little shocking to see something that old acting as primary compiler for a current distribution.

Opera Software seems to build their releases on old distributions. I suppose that's so that they work on the widest variety of machines possible. My x86-64 12.16 has a note telling it was built by GCC 4.4 (ABI finalised early 2009). Quite a wide support range for a binary released in 2013. By comparison, my own softarm release was done with GCC 4.7 (early 2012), so it doesn't have the breadth of support.

Lesson learned: Use the oldest compiler possible when building these binaries.

I will look to see what is possible with Debian. It looks like wheezy doesn't have GCC 4.3 packages, the oldest offered being 4.4. Perhaps pulling Debian squeeze out of the cellar is necessary.

Yes, presto is the old, original opera rendering engine, from version 12.x and earlier

nostalgia'd
i miss the old ugly theme desu

>memealdi
bloat.

>The engine is for rendering websites, not the browser itself.
well, same words apply to firefox/gecko completely.

Well, yes.

I'm actually very interested in what is "the secret sauce" about opera's ui staying so damn responsive even when web pages are misbehaving. Is the answer just "native code", or were the coders some kind of magicians.

I understand that at this point people are just trying to get the thing built mostly and nobody has had any time or interest in investigating shit like that

Have you tried the soft-float ARM build someone posted ITT?

< som1> i made a quick patch to disable manual plugin activation: paste.fedoraproject.org/531393/49176771/
Should be added to the patches github.

Has anyone figured out vp9 sound in the meantime?

All in due time user

Neat, will add this to the repo tomorrow (away from PC atm)

I guess VP9 sound issue is a missing codec, idk what codec VP9 usually uses, surprised that it'd be different from VP8 videos 2bh

One guy mentioned that it is fixed by installing the gstreamer-plugins package.

Btw, I can upload that patch for you. Just give me push access and I will get it up there asap.

Added, just make sure not to break it :P Also update the readme.md with the details of the patch too, if you can

BTW I took a look at that ramdisk driver you linked before, couldn't really see much wrong with it (but driver dev isn't really my strong suit, I've done driver reverse engineering before, but never really any devving for them)

I might try making a win10 VM when I get back to see what happens tho, do you have any crash logs or anything from the BSOD?

1. Ok. I will update the readme soon. I just uploaded the patch.
2. I don't have the details of the crash at the moment.

>This code is not the complete source code for a modern web browser

I got the driver set up on my PC. I will link to the minidump that will be generated when it crashes soon.

Nice, can you check event viewer as well? It should make an entry in there with the fault code/module name/etc.
Can't remember which category it gets put under though, if you find it can you pastebin it?

One thing I noticed is that Windows complained that it wasn't signed. So, please find a way to sign the .cpl and .sys files.

So what is this exactly?
A decompiled version of opera? A source code leak?

Source code leak

Thanks for clarification

Why don't you fags just continue KHTML development from where it left off? It's just sitting right there waiting for a maintainer!

>tfw still no progress on ECC/GCM

I am uploading the memory dump that was made when testing the RAMDisk driver on the newest Insider Build of Windows 10 x64. It gave me a FAT_FILE_SYSTEM GSOD. I looked in the Event Viewer for more info but couldn't find any.

Has anyone tried building it for OS X yet?

Here's a Pastebin containing more information:

pastebin.com/7jaDGxcJ

Here's a link to the Memory Dump that I wrote about earlier:

mega.nz/#!k9R0XAZK!4FOIay_fUqLb93p7g91nPmlWmUZ7FZIEjTdo6apnISQ

After all, they pretend to be okay with cry.
But we can't deny it. isn't it?
althought it is not really modern, it's modern internet browser than ie9.(not ie10!)
In some respects it's not complete source code. It doesn't have mobile one. but who care?

Well, there is a mobile one (Opera Mini). Its just not open source.

It would be nice if someone could compile a Windows version of Opera with the DisableClickToActivate patch applied to it.