What is the best general purpose programming language and why is it C#?

What is the best general purpose programming language and why is it C#?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Microsoft/vscode
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck off nigger.

C# is fun to program in, but it's not exceptionally good at any specific thing, it doesn't have an use case that justifies its existence or one where it comes out on top as the best choice.

With that said though, I like it for reasons I can't fully understand much less explain.

Memeing aside C# is the only system's language I'll fuck with for 2 reasons:

1) If I make something good enough that I have to hire people, I'd rather hire normie C# industry veterans than autistic Rust/Haskell/Lisp programmers
2) Microsoft supporting the language gives it great long term support

I've worked on dozens of software projects in all common paradigms and numerous languages... out of all them, C# is the only one that has never let me down.

Thank god for .NET Core too, I can run my shit on Linux finally as well... so I can forever ignore Java exists.

C# features and .NET libraries are god-tier when it comes to productivity

What are my options if my daily driver is linux?

Isn't .NET core just a text editor?

>I like it for reasons I can't fully understand much less explain.
Pretty much everyone I know who likes C# says the same, including myself.

It's probably black magic I tell you.

No, it's basically a multi-platform engine and set of related tools.

It's a combination of how well it integrates with Visual Studio, the modern language features such as LINQ, lambda expressions, etc., the .NET framework in general and how well it integrates with Windows and Microsoft software such as SQL Server, WPF, the other services M$ offers like Azure. It's a lot of things

C# is the superior language for writing code, but the JVM is the superior mechanism for deploying code.

What books or websites do you suggest to learn it?

If you really want to learn it, I would grab a copy of VS (there's a free version) and check out some examples either from GitHub or something or some other site, I unfortunately can't recommend any personally. I personally use it in my job and I work with a beast of a web application written almost entirely in C#, which interacts with SQL Server databases (there is a free version of it as well), has all sorts of web services and integrations with other systems, etc. It's a very powerful language for the web, mainly due to the functionality provided by .NET and how tightly it integrates with the rest of the M$ stack, but it's a great language in its own right too, and actually fun and satisfying to code in, imo.

>Using Javascript editor to write real code

please cuck me

How is Visual Studio Community Edition, a javascript editor? you dingus.

This

If fucking C# and .NET is so good and cross platform too (as MS and their shills say) why VS Code is made in fucking JavaScript on top of Electron/Chrome?

Why after 15 years of .NET and C# introduction are large parts of Windows, like explorer.exe, still not ported to C# and .NET

C# and .NET is nowhere near as good as MS and their shills proclaim. It's a Java clone, with some things better than Java some things worse, but it's a horribly bloated mess of a runtime and standard library and this shows in every program made with it (eg ATI/AMD Catalyst Drivers)

All in all, fuck C#, fuck .NET and avoid it along with anything based on it (like fucking PowerShell)

github.com/Microsoft/vscode

welcome to computing

Mono C#

I know that exists. The point is that is referring to community edition and not code.

Community Edition as in the full fledged IDE

Java 8+ or Mono.

>postulating an initial open ended question then changing the question to one that seeks validation for your own opinionated answer to the initial question disregarding that the initial question is open ended and has no definitive correct answer

Look mom I can use big words