What is this cable used for?

What is this cable used for?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_connector#8P8C_.288_position_8_contact.29
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable#Cable_standard
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

idk lol

you lick it when the computer it turned on so you can check if its getting power duh

Front panel Firewire, aka the most useless port

it's called a usb port, I'll show you later.

another good way to check if ut has power is to take a paper clip unfold it and put it through the exhaust holes if it lights up you have power

Floppy connector?

thank you so much, anons!
I was worried my computer was broken, but with these 2 simple tricks, it's fine and dandy now, and I can resume posting hilarious cat videos on my myspace profile for all my friends to adore!

for plugging in 1394

>What is this cable used for?
It's literally labeled with the type of port it is for.

Donate your computer to charity and never use one again in your life. You don't deserve to exist.

to be fair 1394 died about 10 years ago with the death knell being in 2012 when Apple stopped using it.

another helpfull and privacy aware tip if you put these between your motherboard and case you should remove them they are meant to cause the motherboard to viberate with the data the CPU sends allowing the NSA to decode the viberations and figure out what you are up to

>died about 10 years ago
did google die with it?

This
also know as firewire in Apple parlance.

>google
get with the times, grandpa

>googling random numbers
if it said firewire it would make sense.

but i just used google five seconds ago to try to find yolandi visser nip slips

Fireware is Apple's trademarked name for this. IEEE 1394 is the technical standard that defines the interface.

s/Fireware/Firewire/

Man was that ever hard.

but why would you think 1394 had any significance to the cable?

I could grab a 8p8c cable and look up random numbers from it and it would only be the graduation marks on the length of the cable.
Get it? or are you too thick to understand?

>but why would you think 1394 had any significance to the cable?
Because they went to the trouble of stamping 1394 on it.

whatever you want it to be used for

Because it's the only thing on the cable to go by. You've got to start somewhere.

god i hate people who refuse to admit them they are wrong biggest fucking cunts i tell you

yeah, lost ya again.

I'm gonna just go ahead and assume you are too thick in the head to understand.

>8p8c cable
kek. There is no such thing as a 8p8c cable. There is a 8p8c connector which can be used with a variety of types of cable. Stop trying to sound smarter than you are. It isn't working.

durr hurr whats this 1394 mean
muh googles

Pretty sure you are the thick one here. Google's first result for 1394 is the wikipedia article for IEEE 1394. See

>cables can't be 8 position 8 conductors

You are sounding as retarded as you are.

google basis shit on your past searches, nerd.
Using startpage the first link was wikipedias article on the year 1394

This is a technology board, guys. You should know these fundamentals.

all my 8-pin cables are clearly labeled PCI. pretty obvious they're for powering a PCI card. they'd work just the same if i plugged it into my motherboard 8-pin port, but that cable was clearly labeled AUX. my autism dared not let me mix them up.

>Using startpage the first link was wikipedias article on the year 1394
Oh, it's a year 1394 cable. Fuck me I was wrong the whole time.

Also, it's not an 8 pin cable

>Also, it's not an 8 pin cable
who said it was dipshit?

It's 8 position 8 contact moron. Cables don't have contacts, the connector does. You use a 8P8C with different kinds of cables, usually CAT 5E or CAT 6 cables, but that doesn't make the cables themselves 8P8C.

>The 8 position 8 contact (8P8C) connector is a modular connector commonly used to terminate twisted pair and multi-conductor flat cable.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_connector#8P8C_.288_position_8_contact.29

>Nearly always, 8P8C modular connectors (often referred to as RJ45 connectors) are used for connecting category 5 cable.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable#Cable_standard

It does, but this isn't one of those cases.
>startpage
I just searched "1394 connector", literally every result on the page was about IEEE 1394.

>contact doesn't mean conductor.
>I can only regurgitate what's in my trade school structured wiring textbook because I couldn't make it to a four year school.

>I can only regurgitate what's in my trade school structured wiring textbook
fucking pedantic sperglord is off his meds again

No, Google on a clean computer and browser will still give you the right result. That's just startpage not giving very good results.

>>contact doesn't mean conductor
Sure it can, still doesn't make it a 8P8C cable. It makes it a cable terminated with a 8P8C.

>>I can only regurgitate what's in my trade school structured wiring textbook
Project much?

A dead Apple technology that lost to USB 2.0.

Kill yourself, you dumb fucking shit stain.

I'll be sure to google it first, fucktard.

Anyone who's been around computers for more than 5 years has heard of IEEE 1394. gtfo underage b&

Never said I never heard of it, retard #1383 of the thread.

Go back to gender studies. We don't need another fucktard who needs spoon feeding for everything giving us a bad name.

The really funny thing is, he posted the Google result saying "IEEE 1394" which was a pretty fucking huge hint that maybe you should look into that. Perhaps the numbers DO mean something specific to that cable? And for that matter, what is IEEE? Instead you decided to berate and insult the educated anons trying to help you out and not only do you look retarded but you also look like a huge asshole. Good thread OP. Made me laugh.

>what is IEEE?
It's the standardization body for electrical engineering, retard.

Oh, and it's pronounced eye triple e, just in case you want to show your ass in public.

Random user here, also googled 1394; have never googled numbers or anything related to IEEE. Got pic related. Just so you know, of all things that have 1394 in them, google is smart enough to know that the most likely thing people are looking for when searching 1394 and nothing else, is the widely known 1394 specification.

read the thread, retard. Already been covered.

That was a rhetorical question, friend. One directed at OP, suggesting that it was a question he should have asked himself. Not great with reading comprehension, are you?

>I don't know how to properly reply on the 4chins!
>I know I'll blame the ONE (1) (single) guy I replied to!

You're dumb

You're dumb if you think the guy you first replied to was the OP.

Well I don't so yeah

Oh, so you just don't know how to reply properly.
Because you replied to me, so it's stupid to assume the question was to go to the OP.

get better.

using duckduckgo and still IEEE 1394

See

Was that to me or the OP?

Well I was replying to you, I hope that's enough for you to figure it out.

firewire. ie1394 is firewire. like for tape cameras n shiet

haven't you read the thread? A reply to a post means a reply to the OP.

Keep up, slowpoke.

Do any motherboards even come with Firewire ports anymore? What's the point of still including them in the front panel if not?

Expansion cards can provide front panel IO headers

IEEE 1394 = firewire, ar tard

No one uses that shit anymore.

*few people use

Because the number is printed on it instead of molded into it.

If it was molded then it would probably be some form of production identifier, like the composition of the plastic or when and where it was made.
Because it is printed on it that means it was done later, when the connector was given a purpose, in this case to be a 1394 connector.

No problem, this is what Sup Forums is for

Firewire. The slightly technically superior competitor to USB 1.x/2.x that nobody used, and is now obsolete next to USB 3.x anyway.

Never change Sup Forums.