/pcbg/ - PC Building General

President Trump Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.

pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>WARNING: Motherboards with Intel's 100 series chipset (B150, Z170, etc) will require a BIOS flash to support the new Kaby Lake CPUs!
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a Kaby Lake system

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.

logicalincrements.com/

>OUTDATED CPU RECOMMENDATIONS (no mention of Kaby Lake)
>Consider substituting an i5 7500 for an i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B150/B250 or H110/H210 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.

pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com
pcpartpicker.com/list/Ky4CgL
pcpartpicker.com/list/pPHN2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/CxM8zM
pcpartpicker.com/user/castexyz/saved/PpQf7P
amazon.com/Pixio-PX277-2560x1440-FreeSync-Displayport/dp/B01HPDAF68
pcpartpicker.com/list/z2btr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/zCb8zM
pcpartpicker.com/list/swhgqk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

any input is appreciated

>Buying Windows
Why?

>paying more than 30 dollars for windows at that

Show me how to get a free copy of windows 10

google.com
You're welcome

Approaching completion, would like input.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Ky4CgL

that wasnt me
It's just more convenient for me.
I tried linux and I'm too much of a dumbass to use it to it's full capacity and Windows just looks a lot nicer to me.
macintosh is shit too.

>tfw memed myself by buying the 1060 3gb version
Besides that I think I'm good for a while. The gpu is on my list to upgrade next, this was a budget build around $600 (with a I5 6400, H110m-a motherboard, a single stick of 8gb ram, the 1tb wd blue, and the current gpu.)

Forgot pic

Just pirate it like everyone else. My copy even re activated itself when I switched motherboards.

too much effort really.
i have the money to buy it so I might as well.
I was just looking for input on the parts really.

>too much effort really.
god damn nigga i was gonna link a place to buy cheap ass keys but fuck you

>yfw it's just as easy as installing it normally if not easier

Can you help me out? I would love a cheap key

Trying Daz / Das Loader is okay, remember for every patch BotNet10 releases, you should wait for the newest version.

>Daz / Das Loader
Thats old use KMScorpio activator. (or better yet get a pre-activated copy)

What is with Sup Forums's refusal to buy windows? I make decent money and was able to justify the $130 for a copy of 64-bit windows 10 pro. It was a one time purchase for a system I will use extensively every day. For everything ranging from work, to school, to gaming. After spending almost $1600 on a PC, why not just buy a copy? You never have to worry about updates fucking your crack/Daz loader settings up.

I mean if your build is worth like $500, then yea spending almost 1/4 of your budget on Windows is a kick in the dick. But many of the systems ITT don't meet that criteria. I'm not a MS advocate by any means as I've been using a borrowed copy of Windows 7 with removeWAT since SP1 released because I was broke. Just curious.

hmmm Thanks for the advice as well.

ty famalam

No problem

Thinking about rebuilding my PC, what should I replace?

>shitpc

>Haslel
>1333MHz RAM
>MSI Krait
>3.5/4 would not VRAM
>Jewston SSD
>500GB HDD
>Windows 10
Everything pham

Xeon W3550
Nvidia Quadro 600
12 GB DDR3
120GB SSD + 250GB HDD
Win 10 Pro
+ accessories

worth 200 bucks? not for work, more of a facebook machine

:(

You need
>Ryzen
>2800MHz RAM
>Gigabyte or ASUS motherboard (non-gaymer UD5/Pro equivalent)
>Samsung SSD
>not Windows 10

Don't listen to the other user. The 4790k is still a valid chip. I would recommend a 16GB kit of ddr3. See if you can get 2400mhz stuff. If not, just standard 1600mhz is fine. Shop around in ebay. My buddy scored a 32GB kit (4x8GB) of ddr3-2133 MHz on eBay for $80.

Maybe another SSD for game installs? Minimum 500GB. Crucial MX300 525GB is usually around $140.

If your budget allows, sell the 970, get a 1070. The 1070 is almost close to a 980TI in performance with 2GB more VRAM.

Should I buy cnps10x optima or hyper 212 evo? I know 212 run a little bit cooler but that plastic fan brackets looks extremely flimsy.

I'm from El Salvador and a friend of mine will travel to the USA between July and August to get me a few parts for my new PC, budget is near $1.4k and I came with this:

pcpartpicker.com/list/pPHN2R

What my friend is going to help me get with are the motherboard and both video cards, since rx480/gtx1060 are worth around $400 here and motherboards with more than 1 PCI are worth near $200, everything else is just a couple of bucks more expensive.

I need opinions and how I can improve budget and performance wise.

Bigger SSD and a 1070 like other user said, 4790k is better than skyshit in some things.

Definitely don't get crossfire 480s. CF always sucks.
Get the i5 7500 or even consider the i5 7600K, since overclocking seems to be easy on the Z270
You can't use that fast RAM at full speed unless you have a Z270

By the time July rolls around, AMD will have released more powerful cards than the 480, no need for CF. AMD will have released new CPUs as well, so you should come back and check current builds then

Anyone in SoCal want to build my comp for me

You should flip a few GTX 1070s

Microsoft Toolkit

Some people are running linux; others are using a key they already own; some people don't include it because they don't want to be hazed over Win10; Win10 sucks but I have to use it on Kaby Lake so fuck M$; etc

Is it worth buying an i5 6600k for my R9 380? My shitty amd cpu can barely do 60fps in any game.

What's your CPU? Post speccy

Why the fuck you running 333Mhz DDR? Fucking get 400MHz shit. Just double up to 16GB and call it a day.

I run a 4790K, and there is ZERO reason to upgrade right now. You will see shit tier performance gains moving up to anything else. Wait for Intel's next step at the end of the year and see what they have to offer.

I have dual GTX 970 right now. I'm holding out to see how the new AMD Vega looks. Else, maybe I'll cop a used GTX 1080 for a good price. I run a 42" LG IPS 60hz display, so upgrading my GPU is a bit more of a concern.

Might whack together a G4560 & 1,024SP RX 460 build on the cheap. Should play Civ6 and isometrishit yeah?

It's an AMD A7 7700k, bad cpu who struggles even with a psp emulator. I also have 8gib of ram.

>RX480 died last week
>Silverstone 650W 80+ Gold PSU died today

what the fuck is going on here.. my previous build lasted 4 years with no problems ever and all these new pieces of shit are dying left right and centre

Dude, it's like legos. There are a billion guides to popping the shit together.

Or are you talking about piecing together a system online to buy? Even easier. Start with your CPU, then buy a mobo with the right chipset and CPU socket, then buy some good RAM for it, GPU, an SSD and HDD, power supply, and case. DONE!

My guess: bad PSU killed your GPU and committed suicide afterwards.

pcpartpicker.com/list/CxM8zM

A small upgrade that ended up replacing everything but the case, mobo and hdd.

I should have just left it in the closet.

R7 240 or GT 730

for csgo and gta 5

I'll build your computer. Post your spec sheet.

Go for the R7 assuming you are using an AyyyyMD APU system

this but a 250 non x

my lil cousin has an a8-7600 x msi 250gddr3 and it does quite well.

>A small upgrade that ended up replacing everything but the case, mobo and hdd.
why`?

I don't know how it got this far.

It was just going to get the i5 and a 1050ti so my anime body pillow could play too but I found the 390x for $165 and the 2k display for $50 locally and it snowballed.

I would've specced a better cpu if I had known this is where I was gonna end up. Still might sell it and switch.

Oh well it was pretty cheap and I'll have a decent second comp.

Still needs a cpu cooler. It will be getting clocked to 4ghz with a 39x multi and a 103 bclk if its stable.

That's how most of my "small upgrades" have gone as well.

How many sata ports do I need on PSU if I plan on having like 4 harddrives?

do the harddrives plug directly into the psu, or do they connect to some kind of splitter wire.

just about any psu still functioning will have 4 sata power connectors. did you even look at the specs of any PSUs?

it says 8 x SATA in description, so I get you connect a wire to the PSU, and it splits off to allow multiple connections?

thanks

the wire(s) will be hardwired to the psu unless its a modular design and have breakouts where you plug the stoarge drives in. you can also google psu sata cable.

Thank you for your help mister.

don't forget to get sata cables for your drives if they don't come with one. psu only gives power. you still need a connection for data.

suggestions on my build? pcpartpicker.com/user/castexyz/saved/PpQf7P

That processor will not work with that board unless you are in possession of a skylake processor that can flash the bios

Not the best value, but it's ok.

Can you recommend a best value build? Thanks

My consulting fees are 100$ an hour. Hit me up on skype: [email protected]

>case with window
>illuminated fans
are you 12?

t. bitter poor guy

>built a completely new rig last week
>today cat knocked over glass of water on my desk
>liquid cascaded down right where my tower is
>about to cry as I rush to unplug it
>investigate
>the water narrowly evaded every single possible vent and opening

Don't eat and drink at your computer fuckboy, also your cat, even if spayed, is going to spray its jizz into your fan

Did I make a mistake in getting i7-6800K?

Also got Noctua NH-D14 to cool it. (My case is CM HAF 932 so I'm good on space

amazon.com/Pixio-PX277-2560x1440-FreeSync-Displayport/dp/B01HPDAF68

The monitor I have says it has 1.2 Display Port.

But I noticed that the card I ordered, Asus Rog Strix 1070 says it's Display Port 1.4.

So did I fuck up? The card and monitor are not compatible?

Looks like you dun goofed super chief. You will have to return all of your parts now.

Yeah, USB 2 isn't compatible with USB 3 either.

To be honest when I look at Steam and all the lists of PC games nothing even looks good anyways.

PC gaming is a meme. I'll just return my parts and not fall for this meme.

What gams do u like to play bucko?

is this the video game console assembly thread?

why the fuck did ddr4 go up so much?
I bought 8gb 2400 dimms last summer for 24 dollars each

>why the fuck did ddr4 go up so much?
because people will pay for it
Step 1: sell RAM cheap
Step 2: wait for software, like games, that needs lots of cheap RAM
Step 3: increase price of RAM

thank god I bought more than I needed, I should probably sell this used for more than I bought it for, got 2 8gb sairs collecting dust and a 4gb chink nobrand doing the same

>he fell for the 8gb meme

This is why I bought 32gb. I may only use regularly around 50% of that, but if I have it, I have it, when I need it. and I don't have to jump through paygate hoops to get it.

I had all 4 of them in. Currently 16 (8x2) because I took the other two out with the intention of making another rig to sell, but haven't been bothered to yet

no you useless waste of air, it's because of a factory fire

Waste of money

Why the fuck would you buy a 300W card in 2017?

Not good for GTAV

RMA.. Only thing that sucks is the downtime

Yes but get the 1050. If you like strategy / sim games the CPU is weak

Intel isn't coming out with anything good until 2019, when the totally reboot their arch

Yeah, you should upgrade, but not right now. Wait two months and then ask here for a CPU recommendation

Why not?

Higher wattage usually means better performance

It's a space heater. RX480 is 80% of the perf of 390x for 150W, along with being a newer arch.

GTX1070 is +50% perf compared to the 390x for 150W

Convince me to replace all the Bay Trail/Cherry Trail Pentium plus two Jaguar A4-5000 thin clients and a Xeon E5-1650 v3 VM+RDS server in my home with actual desktops.

>tfw waitfag

But if amd made a card with the same power draw as the 390x on their new arch it would completely wipe the floor with rx 480...

Is it worth adventuring on overclocking Xeon processor with this motherboard?

Most BS description I've ever read.

Yes, and? How is a hypothetical card a justification for buying a rebranded space heater?

It's a bit wasted if you're not going to take advantage of ECC RAM and are going with and Xeon E3 v5s that are higher than $300 or have HD P350s.

>tfw not released yet
>tfw not released tomorrow

Graphics card is dying, and I'm trying to think my options here. I use my PC for gayming, but I don't have a lot of money so I'm thinking of getting 1060. Would I need to update my CPU and RAM too if I did that? Where the hell am I going to get any money for that.

pcpartpicker.com/list/z2btr7
How does this look?

>Would I need to update my CPU and RAM too if I did that?
No. GTX1060, RX480 or even RX470 are all fine.

Alright that's good to hear. Thanks user.

Generally good, but take a look a this, switched out a few parts without sacrificing performance.
Imho you should try to save up a little and either get a 6500/7500 or wait for the 4C8T Zen.
pcpartpicker.com/list/zCb8zM

Ive started grabbing new parts for a new PC. I already have Case and Power Supply (Might upgrade either or both if a better alternative is suggested). Also gonna replace the fans in my case so suggestions for replacements are welcome.

Here's what I've got so far.

>Why the fuck would you buy a 300W card in 2017?

It was $165 in the box. I live in Alaska,the heat output is a nice bonus, nice and toasty

pcpartpicker.com/list/swhgqk
Any suggestions? This is a combo work & play pc. Work usually has AutoCAD, Photoshop, and miscellaneous office programs up and running at once. Most work is architectural 2D related, but needs to handle occasional 3D. Gaming is limited, but I want to handle modern games like Civ at full performance. Budget as shown is about as high as I'd like to go.

Why not an EVGA X99 classified mobo and save $150.

get a real workstation with a xeon and a pro card.