If there's two people in the office with the same mouse type, how do those USB dongles tell each mice apart?

If there's two people in the office with the same mouse type, how do those USB dongles tell each mice apart?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20160302232153/http://www.michaeldornisch.com/2012/07/replace-missing-microsoft-wireless.html
youtube.com/watch?v=2OzTWiGl1rM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Unifying_receiver
amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Marathon-3-Year-Battery/dp/B0034XRDUA
amazon.com/Logitech-MK270-Wireless-Keyboard-Mouse/dp/B00BP5KOPA/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm sure they can operate on a range of different frequencies.

magnets

just mark them dumb donglepster

every product has a different key?

my guess would be each packet contains, apart from the key pressed, some form of serial number
the dongle and the mouse/keyboard have a hard-coded serial number in them
the dongle simply drops the packets that have a different serial

alternatively, different sets can operate at slightly different frequencies

That's my thinking as well. In the factory, they must somehow pair the dongle and the mouse together.

Also, if you lose or break your dongle, I think your expensive mouse is good as trash.

Has anyone tried calling up Logitech to buy a replacement dongle? I don't think you even can do that..

This.

If it works with bluetooth it won't be an issue but if it is on a set 2.4ghz this user is right.
The 2.4ghz freq range is quite large, something that bluetooth actually relies on since it consistently jumps frequency to ensure (by chance alone) it doesn't operate on a specific frequency used by something else the whole time it is communicating.

So probably the pairing will seek serial number across the 2.4ghz range and once it sees the one it 'expects' ie the correctly paired mouse, it will listen only on the freq of that serial number. Would be the best way I assume but idk what goes inside these mice to tell the truth. Just going with what I know about comms.

They're so cheap, why would you bother?

Heh, I have Microsoft Sculpt Mouse (wireless of course) and apparently, if you lose the receiver, your mouse is worthless.

web.archive.org/web/20160302232153/http://www.michaeldornisch.com/2012/07/replace-missing-microsoft-wireless.html

>I called today and got the same thing, a support number. I called it and explained that my transceiver was taken with my laptop when I lost my job a couple weeks ago. They could only offer me a new mouse at a discounted price of $14.95 + $5 s&h, which actually isn't bad, but I have other mice and I'd hoped to keep this one.

>I just called to order a replacement receiver for my wireless keyboard and mouse, and was told that since I didn't have proof of purchase, I would have to spend $30+, and an additional $7-8, which covers the replacement fee, tax, and shipping. This really sucks, when all I need is a replacement receiver!

basically, if you lose the receiver, you better have a receipt and even then, you'll have to pay.

You can buy a replacement one. You just have to pair it to your mouse/keyboard.

>They're so cheap, why would you bother?
my mouse is over $100, pleb.

What? Yes you can. We have loads of those logitec stuff at work and we have had a few unified recievers failing. Just ordered a few spares and they could easely be paired to the existing mouses/keyboards.

I *think* that Logitech mice and receivers are not paired and that you pair them when you install the receiver and the mouse (it basically searches for mouse/keyboard and if it finds it, it pairs it) but Microsoft does pair them in factory. There's no pairing of any kind with MS mice.

And that post above confirms that you can't pair two MS receivers of the same type.

I think that Unified receivers are like that. Older Logitech receivers are like Microsoft ones... paired forever at the factory.

This is one of the rare occasions when I wish one of the anons with a broken wireless mice would tear it down and look to see if there's pins or dip switches that you can change... it might work like some padlocks... just a limited number of choices.

Also, I think these non-Bluetooth receivers are pretending to be USB devices so the computer/OS just thinks it's another USB and doesn't deal with wireless protocols at all.

If there's no pairing step involved in setup, I'm wagering the mouse & dongle are hard coded to each other.

A dip switch pack would be extra expense that the hardware maker likely would not bother with in this time.

And why wouldn't the dongle simply report itself as a USB device?

>You can buy a replacement one. You just have to pair it to your mouse/keyboard.

Logitech has a program you can download from their site explicitly for this purpose.

How do they work?

You mean sorcery

ur dumb

Each one is individually linked to its respective keyboard or mouse.

>typing passwerds and other important shit on a wireless keyboard

Don't do it anons. Pluheeeese.

It will tell them apart by each device's unique address/ID.

Some transmitters will hardcode to a specific address and pair onboard, rather than through the OS (albeit often using some shit utility to monitor status).

I was looking for one where the computer didn't need to be compromised but this is pretty neat
>malware turns display into FM transmitter while maintaining display's functionality
>unmodified cellphone hardware can be used to intercept data

youtube.com/watch?v=2OzTWiGl1rM

I'm pretty sure non Bluetooth wireless devices are given a carrier frequency not unlike an FM ( if you didn't know, it stands for frequency modulation) radio station. A reciever could either be paired to the specific frequency either from the factory or through a sweep function usually activated a sync button on both devices be pushed as on an xbox.

It's one of the reasons certain remotes can cause inadvertent effects on random other shit in your house, although it's really rare. The chances of something like a mouse having the same carrier frequency as another nearby one would be very slim.

Magnetic keycards work somewhat similarly as well. Though they just have an inductive winding embedded inside that the readers measure. The ones my workplace uses have the value printed on the side the ID is adhered to. My old one had a value like XXXX.XX, which would give an endless amount of combinations.

> dongle: duno bro you 11245123123?
>dongle 2: No man fuck off this is 11245663357
> dongle: O sry bro Im outa here then
> dongle 2: Yes stufu idiot you made my master lag and I sent him a enter accidentally
> dongle: Zoory my comprade
> dongle 2: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE he is going to replace me with an usb cable
>dongle: kys

Each dongle uniquely pairs with its mouse or keyboard with the same serial number. I have two dongle keyboards and lost a dongle, and can now only use one of the keyboards, since the other keyboard won't communicate with theothers dongle.

You pair with the dongle like you pair via bluetooth.

I have an MX Master, connect it with bluetooth on my MBP, use two individual Logitech receivers (one bought separately, one included) for my desktop PC and my Dell laptop.

That is bluethoot retard, this thread has nothing to do with bluethoot dumbass.

If my G602 middle mouse button is fucked, I bought it over two years ago and I have no receipt am I SOL? It's been gradually getting worse and now it won't work at all :/

Most likely yes unless you're handy enough with a soldering iron to replace the micro switch.

>handy enough with a soldering iron to replace the micro switch

Just how retarded are you? Literally anyone can do that.

That's bluetooth. We're talking about Wireless USB.

WTF??? how does that jewish magic work???

they have like 3 channels

that's Logitech anywhere. That's new tech.

ugh

This piece of shit never works. Gets interference when mouse is feet away from receiver. Wireless is a meme, and insecure.

You're stupid as fuck.

>completely missing the point
Kys.

Wireless doesn't work like that you dipshit. One dongle can't hold up a packet from reaching another dongle, all it has to do is ignore the packets that aren't paired with it.

Leaking noise from monitor cable?

go back to plebbit, retard.

I found the answer.

>The main idea behind the research is to use radio frequencies in order to transmit the secret data from the computer to the mobile phone. Mobile phones usually come equipped with FM radio receivers and it is already known that software can intentionally create radio emissions from a video display unit. Yes, from the computer screen. Still, this is the first time that a mobile phone is considered in an attack model as the intended receiver of maliciously crafted radio signals emitted from the screen of the isolated computer. AirHopper demonstrates how textual and binary data can be exfiltrated from physically a isolated computer to mobile phones at a distance of 1-7 meters, with effective bandwidth of 13-60 Bps (Bytes per second). Enough to steal a secret password.

what happens if I connect 10 of the same type of mouse to a single PC?

No, you're the actual retard here.
Encapsulation is hardly unknown or unusual and Logitech's Unifying receivers and software are well documented.
Making guesses like "they must be paired in the factory so you're fucked if you lose/break the dongle" is actively being retarded.

These wireless receivers are really not all that different to the way wireless networks work.

one transceiver can associated with up to, about, 5 different mice, using the software provided

I have two computer next to each other using these and there's no problem at all.

It just works.

That's Logitech Anywhere Unified receiver you stupid shithead. Haven't you even read the fucking thread? That's new tech.

No it isn't. This is old fucking tech. At LEAST 4 years old.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Unifying_receiver

yet there's millions of mice without that shit. that thing was standard on their most expensive mice only until this year. and even now, most of the mice they sell don't have it. MS also doesn't have it but only in few models yet MS sells millions of mice without it.

read the fucking thread.

>yet there's millions of mice without that shit. that thing was standard on their most expensive mice only until this year
No you stupid shit. The M705 was released 7 years ago and had a Unifying Receiver.
amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Marathon-3-Year-Battery/dp/B0034XRDUA

>dat butthurt
How can you be so stupid to argue that most mice Logitech sells don't have that shit?

well done, user

Just because they sell a range of products doesn't matter. Unifying Receiver has been common on Logitech products for years. The fact they have EVEN CHEAPER products that don't sport the Unifying Receiver is immaterial.

amazon.com/Logitech-MK270-Wireless-Keyboard-Mouse/dp/B00BP5KOPA/

what about microsoft? and why does Logitech still sell non-unifying mice?

Nowadays you have 3$ rf ic's that can do soft decision viterbi decoding in real time.
Compared to that, pairing up two devices is simple as fuck.

my logitech mx master is terrible with i use anything else wireless in the same room, the mouse skips and jumps around. ;_;

just use fucking bluetooth you cucks.

whatever weird ass serial over 2.4ghz bullshit those dongles are, are wore than bluetooth which pretty much everything has nowadays.

Microsoft uses a different system that isn't relevant.

It looks like Logitech has (fairly recently) introduced a new receiver still on the 2.4GHz range called a Nano Receiver that is exactly the same as the Unifying Receiver except it comes preprogrammed with the device it is sold with and cannot be used with the Unifying software to change or add devices.
However the device itself can be paired to a Unifying Receiver.

Looking through all their current (wireless) products on their site they only have Nano, Unifying and Bluetooth options.

>Microsoft uses a different system that isn't relevant.
nigga, you went full retard. MS is one of the biggest manufactures of wireless mice in the world.

that's only if you use microcuck products

I disagree. The Unifying Receiver it much more convenient.
You can use the devices in BIOS/UEFI for example because the receiver will present itself as a basic HID device without drivers.
This also means you can pop the receiver out and plug into another machine to instantly use the devices on that machine, and that can include tablets, and phones over OTG cable, without having to re-pair or anything.
It is lower power consumption than Bluetooth, my M705 is still using the batteries that came with it when I bought it 9 months ago.

cheaper logitech too. only their more expensive mice come with a better dongle.

>However the device itself can be paired to a Unifying Receiver.
If you lose the Nano Receiver for the cheaper devices you can just buy a Unifying Receiver instead.

>m705

dude i had that mouse for 3 years before i had to change the battery. it is INSANE

>It is lower power consumption than Bluetooth, my M705 is still using the batteries that came with it when I bought it 9 months ago.

this, I have only changed batteries twice on my m325 and been using it consistently for over 6 months now