ITT post linux hints and things you need to know about linux and using linux distros

ITT post linux hints and things you need to know about linux and using linux distros.

I need a crash course on linux

sudo apt-get install

>apt-get
deprecated

If you wanted tips maybe you shouldn't have posted such a retarded image

It's better to use apt instead of apt-get.
sudo apt install, sudo apt update, etc.

If you see someone talkingabout command lines, then:
$ man apt
means as a normal user, run "man apt"
But:
# apt update && apt upgrade -y
means as superuser, run "apt update && apt upgrade -y"

To run something as a superuser, put sudo in front of it.

format c

Go to /fglt/

What's free on Linux that's $99 on Windows?

at no point was it specified that this was about the same piece of software.

The OS.

lmao

The OS itself.

MUFUGGEN BIX NOOD

Linux

Well you can't just apt-get install something that's $99 so they're not comparable.

Listen here you little faggot piece of shit.
Things being different don't make them not comparable.
That's the whole point of comparison.
To compare different things, not the same things.

You can damn well install a free alternative to paid software.

But pretty much everything that's free on Linux is also on Windows. Not so the other way around. (Try apt-get installing MPC-HC)

>loonixfag tries to reverse argument
>has to resort to strawmanning with user stupidity

why do linuxfags always try to pose as being tech literate but can't even fucking maintain a Microsoft® Windows installation?

kek

Get comfy with the command line. After installing Linux you can open a terminal with ctrl+shift+t

Because maintaining Linux is easier than maintaining windows assuming the user has equal knowledge of both.

if you're using something debian based, like ubuntu, here's some basics

typing "sudo" (which is short for superuser do) before a command means that whatever command you type is carried out with root privileges.

you get your software from repositories, which are just maintained lists of software available to download. you can use several tools to download and install software on debian based distros. apt, apt-get, aptitude, dpkg, etc.

sudo apt-get update (downloads the package lists from the repositories and "updates" them to get information on the newest versions of packages and their dependencies.)

sudo apt-get upgrade (apt-get upgrade will fetch new versions of packages existing on the machine. you want to run update before doing this)

you can search for packages to install using "apt-cache search program_name". (pic related, i search for and install chromium)

install packages from the repositories by using the command "sudo apt-get install program_name". for example, "sudo apt-get install htop" would install the program "htop" to your machine.

you can also download software in .deb format. for instance, say you went to sublime's website and download sublimeinstall.deb to your Downloads folder.. you could install using the command "dpkg -i /Path/File.deb". in this case it'd be "sudo dpkg -i /home/username/Downloads/sublimeinstall.deb"

to uninstall a package you can use "sudo apt-get remove program_name".
a more thorough command that removes unnecessary related packages and config files and stuff is "sudo apt-get purge program_name".
so if you wanted to remove "htop" just type "sudo apt-get purge htop"

learn the basic unix terminal commands, like rm, cp, mkdir, touch, cd, pwd, whoami, passwd, ls, etc..

it's confusing at first, but you settle in and become comfortable, and tend to learn a lot of shit as time goes by. i never set out to "learn" linux, i just didn't want to be spied on for advertising purposes. you just kinda learn as you go.

This one is actually accurate.

>maintaining Linux is easier than maintaining windows
what purpose of the system?
>assuming the user has equal knowledge of both
measured how? what level of knowledge?

you loonixfags often are as bad at making claims as modern feminists

oh and "dpkg -l" will list all the installed packages on your box

Given the context of the thread, normal desktop usage. Equal knowledge means same amount of familiarity, general understanding of how to do a task or troubleshoot a problem under both OSes.
You autists like to nitpick and ignore the context of every statement.

Get a room

updates on Linux
>run update command
>ignore

updates on windows
>run update command
>doesn't exist
>google how to update
>open a shitty GUI
>navigate for literally minutes trying to find the "check for updates" button
>find it, press it, wait a few minutes
>pop-ups everywhere telling you it's time to update
>start updates
>get nagged to reboot until you do
>shutdown takes twenty minutes, when it's finally done you give a sigh of relief
>When it starts again it has to finish setting up updates
>.NET framework
>takes eight hours
>can't use computer for basically a whole work day
>can't give presentation at work
>lose job
>suck dick for money to pay for proprietary software.

typical day of a wincuck.

does it really make a difference?

why is apt preferred over apt-get?

this so much. But add to that people wanting you to troubleshoot the pc while telling you just one part of the story,or "i dindu nothing and it just rebooted"

why should I put effort on maintain something I've already paid someone else to supposedly do that work for me?

Windows
>auto downloads updates
>only 2 restarts after clean install, no more needed
>always fresh os

Loonix
>pacman fucked my xorg conf
>momma, undo all my meetings today im gonna fap to chinese cartoons and compile kernel

Ps. Yes was

>run update command
>doesn't exist
there are multiple package managers on windows.
But unlike linux, non-foss unix people actually can find software from multiple sources, from installers to app stores to repos, and don't have to rely on amateurs hacking together a small deposit of all the software they could possibly find, concept copied from automating deployments servers because without them, they have helplessly out of software. No, the app stores on linux are shit.

>Given the context of the thread, normal desktop usage
show me where this context is pointed out

>Equal knowledge means same amount of familiarity, general understanding of how to do a task or troubleshoot a problem under both OSes
this is just noise without value

Alright pajeet. Madarchod sala. Lund chus.

>(You)

THANK YOU! Saved

>show me where this context is pointed out
The fucking OP, he's asking about the basics of Linux like installing and removing apps. Read the other posts in the thread.
This isn't a thread about setting up raid in Linux or server maintenance.
>this is just noise without value
How the fuck do you objectively measure someone's ability to use an operating system?
This is literally what OP is asking about, how to do basic tasks in Linux.

This

>The fucking OP, he's asking about the basics of Linux like installing and removing apps.
don't see desktop usage explicitly mentioned. linux is known a server OS, OP might as well be interested in operating a server, hence the question about linux in the first place. but that's still projections vs implications.

>How the fuck do you objectively measure someone's ability to use an operating system?
my point exactly
>hurr just assume equal knowledge
it's not quantifiable, how can you assume equality?

Windows doen't come with an """install'''''' button.

To install a program on Windows you need to download an installer from the interwebs and execute that untrusted thing AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Most GNU+Linux distros actually come with an install function (apt, yum, rpm , emerge, whatnot).

Jokes on (You).

is it possible to sudo apt install on arch?

Top kek, this is pretty legit

>To install a program on Windows you need to download an installer from the interwebs and execute that untrusted thing AS ADMINISTRATOR.
sudo apt install does much the same thing, similar anyway.
Admittedly you could just grab the source and after auditing it, compile and install. But who does that XD

why apt install instead apt-get

The difference is that on windows you have to grand someone else's installer admin privileges, even for trivial applications that don't need admin to run at all. On GNU+Linux you only trust apt (for example) with root privileges. No code from the author is executed as root (when talking about a program designed to be runas regular user).

Quoted wrong post.

See

Linux is known as both. Usually if someone has questions about servers, they'll mention the server bit. That's where context clues and reading comprehension comes in.

>it's not quantifiable, how can you assume equality?
This is just autism. The definition of equality isn't limited to quantifiable numbers. Equality can apply to qualitative comparisons as well.
I'm much more comfortable and experienced with Linux than windows. There's a qualitative comparison.

because it's the new standard, and it works better.

Holy shit wincuck status btfo wincucks on suicide watch.

If we're going to nitpick at your level:
Linux is not a server OS because Linux is not an OS used in any server because Linux is not an OS.
You can measure knowledge about usage of an OS, informally, as "being aware of the necessary steps needed to complete an action".
Of course you're just being a little bitch because you know you can install stuff faster and better on every metric on Linux.

there's a cool linux program called WinUSB that allows you to burn a bootable Windows iso to a thumb drive very easily with a graphical interface so you can switch back to a real OS and play games

quads for frauds

>start updates
And this is where it ends. Win7 became so fucked up and buggy that it doesn't even find updates anymore. Eternally cucked.

If you want an installer just use gdebi

>Equality can apply to qualitative comparisons as well.
you won't get an objective argument, merely opinions and subjective statements
"I like/feel more comfortable with X" or "I like/am comfortable with both X and Y equally" are not objective statements

I thought this was just me. I was trying to install Win7 so I could whip up a windows app in visual studio, and I couldn't get the fucking thing to update. ended up using a development VM image microsoft released.

>If we're going to nitpick at your level:
>Linux is not a server OS because Linux is not an OS
pick up a dictionary
also see image

>WinUSB
This isn't how you spell dd

can i use dd to make a virtualbox image a bootable liveusb?

It's not an operating system, Linux by itself does not follow POSIX. And it's not a server OS because no server in the world has ever ran on Linux alone.
>but muh Thesaurus
Doesn't matter, it's not following a spec, just some normie definition. You also did not address the rest of my post.

>Try apt-get installing MPC-HC
Why the fuck would I emerge this shit software when I have mpv? You can keep your crap programs to your OS. There's a reason it's not available on Linux: it's because no hacker took the interest to port it to Linux because MPC-HC is garbage.

>But pretty much everything that's free on Linux is also on Windows. Not so the other way around.
If something is free and open source on Windows but it's not available on Linux, it's because there already are objectively better free alternatives in Linux.

How about you read a book instead?
kernel is OS because some online dictionary said so, nice.

you two faggots ruined the thread. shame on you.

>had this exact shit with trying to play resident evil 7 trailer
>turns out I had to manually install two specific update to get Windows update to start working again
>turns out that windows update is actually broken as shit on new installs because it changed so much since SP1 was released that a clean SP1 install can't even use it
>this has happened numerous times and so the necessary updates have changed over the years
>literally have to wade through 5 different sets of answers for the most up to date set of updates
>just to get windows update to work on a clean install
>just to get a set of .dlls that could easily be installed through a .exe or .msi instead if Microsoft actually cared
>so that I could play a demo for half an hour
I lost three hours. At least now my windows partition isn't at Cambodian prostitute levels of infection potention

there's explicitly mentioned context ITT for calling 'linux' an OS, including OP's image

some loonixfag makes a claim, as if it were fact, with nothing to back it up
when asked for not even hard data but just some specifics of the claim, all shit breaks loose

all loonixfags can do is poor attempts at reversing arguments and move goalposts

>don't install updates until something doesn't work
>blame the system

>It's not an operating system, Linux by itself does not follow POSIX.
OSes predate POSIX, so I don't see how not following POSIX makes Linux not an OS

>And it's not a server OS because no server in the world has ever ran on Linux alone.
I don't think there's such a thing as a server running the OS and nothing else. By that definition there's no such thing as a 'server OS'

>don't install updates until something doesn't work
This was a fresh OS. If I or you install Windows 7 today, you'll have to follow my steps, because OOTB Windows Update is broken.

>blame the system
I think I will

Fuck off, you're the one that made the baseless claim that Linux users can't maintain a Windows install.

>ITT post linux hints and things you need to know about linux and using linux distros.
>I need a crash course on linux
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

cool fud op, it's not 2003 anymore so we have these things called package managers. Just FYI, if you try to compile from source on windows it's just as hard. kill yourself.

Progress bar, shorter to type.
Also simplifies it so you don't have to introduce 10 tools to deal with packages.
Try apt search vs apt-cache search.
apt install vs apt-get install.
It does not have apt-file yet, but I am sure it will get there.
It is a long needed upgrade to Ubuntu.

if they can, why the shitty reverse argument image?

the original OP image has a lot of nonsense for the commands, but the actions to get something are still true (i.e. editing config files, calling command-line programs with unclear arguments)

but the reversed image is outright user stupidity, also goes out of the scope of the operating system.

Think of Linux as a sysadmin OS.
Learn bash and the user space.
Learn networking.
Learn security.
Learn virtualization and containers.
Learn the basics of programming, like how to compile different projects, how to read compiler warnings/errors etc.
Learn svn, git and rsync.
Learn to make a package for the OS you are using.

When you know these things, you know Linux.
We had a course on this at my university, so it is possible to get a decent understanding in a couple of months.

We started by reading the tldp advanced bash guide and then went into the other subjects.
Using the OS also helps, but structured learning is always better.
I had used the OS for a decade before the course and I still learned a lot.

>This was a fresh OS. If I or you install Windows 7 today, you'll have to follow my steps, because OOTB Windows Update is broken.
why are you installing games before you finish setting up your system?
why do you not have a backup copy of a fresh system with updates already installed (oh right, you install games before you finish setting it up); or have the updates streamlined to your installation media?

You're getting this assmad over meme images?
Christ on cracker, that's some legit autism, it's not an "argument" it's shitposting for cheap laughs or whatever. Please tell me you don't take memes seriously.
Look you can use Linux without ever having to edit a single config file, or entering a single command.

>assmad
why do loonixfags keep projecting things?

The applications where you have to edit config files are rarely user applications.
It is servers, daemons and so on you need to configure.
Application arguments are short because back when computers were new, typing out entire sentences were a hassle.
Now we can autocomplete, paste and writing the verbose argument is not a big deal, but people still prefer to use the short names as they know what it means.

>He's too autistic to pick up on tone from written dialogue

Tells you where things are located
man hier

Wildcards are super useful
to select all
ls *
or extension
mv *.jpg /mynewpath/
or partial
mkdir daughter && mv *lisa* daughter

Pipes | can send the output of one command into another.
ls /bin | grep ls

You can also redirect input and ouput to a file with
ls /bin | grep ls > 1.txt
If you want to append to the end of a file, use >>
ls /bin | grep ls > 1.txt && ls /usr/bin | grep ls >> 1.txt

&& will let you do one command after another. mkdir new && cd new

Find is very useful for
finding files
find / -type f -name "*jpg"
directories
find / -type d -name "bin"
or executing commands based on find output
find ~/ -type f -name "*.png" -exec mogrify -resize 50% {} \;

To move up in directory you can use ../ instead of typing out the entire directory path. cd ../

If you are attempting to execute a script or program in your current directory whose path is not set as an environment variable, you will have to use ./ as in ./MySuperScript.sh

If you want to see your user variables printenv

To change permissions of a file or directory you use chmod. To change ownership, use chown. You can man those on your own.

Linux:
Click the ugly replacement for start button.
Search for the package manager gui.
Gui is fugly as usual: open the terminal like 1337 hax0r.
Boot the windows laptop and search how to update loonix on the internet
apt -ccp /woof ?blarg $dildo
Retype the command correctly
Everything broke, configuration is reset
Shut down PC

Windows:
Smash start button
Smash Windows Update
Update

>>pacman fucked my xorg conf
>distro specific meme
>even an old one

Xorg.conf doesn't even exist by default unless you create it to modify something which you won't need in the first place unless you are some kind of enthusiast.

That's the problem with both Windows and Linux.

You see, Windows is like a plastic butter knife and Linux is like steel kitchen knife. With windows kids feel always safe to use and have fun with it playing to be chefs, doing things like cutting tomatoes or maybe onions, even if they do it in a slow or clumsy way, but meanwhile they feel happy and satisfied with themselves. Then when they see you cooking with the steel knife they starts wondering how it feels, then they starts whining that they want to cook like you and want to use the steel knife instead the small plastic one. You say that you cannot do that because you're busy but you'll teach him later.

The kid gets angry and start whining more that he want the knife now and don't want the plastic one anymore, you tell him that to use the knife he must practice and be patient, meanwhile he should start with a smaller one. The kid gets more angry and tell you that he don't need your ugly and stupid knife because the yellow plastic one is more cool, and more safe, and he can do the same things, and that this one is not allowed for adults to use. Then you laugh in a light way like thinking 'that's cute' and you just say ok.

did the op pic really upset you that much

Later in the night when you're sleeping, the kid takes the steel knife and starts playing with it. He feels very exited, this one is heavier, shiny, it cuts things very easily, now he feels like a professional. Then he try to cut harder things, or trying to cut the vegetables in small cubes. During his play he mistakenly cuts his finger and starts crying very loud. You wake up and hurry up to see whats happening and you cure his finger with a bandage and cleaning the injure.

The kid starts blaming you saying that this is because you didn't lend him the knife when he asked, that you never have time for him, that your shitty knife is dangerous and you're a retard for using it, that he didn't need anyway, that was your fault for always treating him like a kid. The only thing you do then is hug him and say, 'ok but promise me that you'll not try to use the knife again until being more grown', the kid just nods with his head while a tear walks over his face.

>using arch
>not being an autistic ''''''''enthusiast''''''''
Get real ya dingus

Find is useful, but locate is much faster and gives you better results.

To use it, you must have a database, update it with sudo updatedb, then just locate file.

And since the file commands are long to type, another thing might be useful as well: aliases.
You basically write alias =''
You can get a list of all aliases by writing alias.
It is a good idea to write these in your ~/.bashrc or in a file you source from the file.
This file runs every time you open a terminal.

You source files by writing
. file
#or
source file

>wanting to try out a different distro makes you autistic

You sound insecure, it's not like you cannot use arch without a custom xorg.conf anyway

This is just the trouble getting the software you easily have the same thing in Windows

>not an alias
Dubs of Truth