Is this thing Sup Forums approved?

Is this thing Sup Forums approved?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2CjbdLyJzzA
youtube.com/watch?v=gP2ZnVuLzgE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no

Is the firmware open source?
If not, can you mod it to run free software?

>capacitive touch screen
>shit os
>paid online
>no App Store
>no multimedia functionality
>no games

The concept is cool. The rest is pretty much not. While I would tell you to fuck off to Sup Forums that place is always going to have the same shit. So I'll give you my opinion instead.

It's really underpowered for its current price. The prospect of playing "big" titles on a portable sounds good, but then you have to take in account battery life, temperature and such things. It seems to be featureless, aside from gaming you can't do much with it and, to be honest it had the potential to also be a normal tablet for them normies, which would probably convince a lot more people, but nah, just games, without backwards compatibility.

The online subscription system is also nuts, unless it's priced fairly which we don't know yet. Priced fairly means half of what the competition costs, considering they're also not offering much with the service (renting a SNES game worked 24 years ago, not now).

Really it's only going to be worth 66% its price when it's open and modded to a level where you can put more things on it than emulators. For now though? Save your money. Don't buy a PS4 either. Get something else, like a thinkpad. Pretty fun device.

The performance:battery life is ridiculous.
They've bogged it down with useless shit like HD rumble. When it could've been put to use with a better battery and better cooling for higher clock speeds.

One can only hope they update it like they did wii U and add a slight over clock

Isn't capacitive the good touchscreens?

If it's anything like the 3DS it should be.
People are looking for fully open source shit, well that thing's had its guts dumped and you can do whatever you fucking want with it.
I'm guessing nintendo has taken a "From scratch" approach with the switch as well, so once we get bootloader it'll be a world of fun.

HD rumble's just the same shit in apple's taptic, and it's only in the controllers, and there's no word on their battery life. I'm guessing far longer than the consoles.
Putting a massive battery in the controller to help charge the tablet though, could be a novel idea.

Honestly, I don't care about the neocons, the rumbles, the entire gimmick. I would buy a switch "home console" if that even existed, if they actually bothered making something better hardware wise. While this is a "more useful" gimmick (depending on which people you're selling these portables to, that is) it is not exactly necessary to prosper.

The reason why nintendo handhelds sell much more than their home consoles is the focus on putting so many fucking games on them. They're really underpowered as well. The problem now is that Nintendo has tried to merge both, and didn't get either very well. You don't have a home console that screams "better than the flop the Wii U was" and you don't have a handheld that's filled with titles and has at least battery life that can support the better titles and not just another fucking picross. It's not looking well.

sorry, I meant joycons.

I don't care about neocons either to be quite honest

I'd be really into a mini PC in the same form factor, say using one of AMD's new ulv chipsets.

The smachz is a nice concept, but i dint have a great deal of confidence in the industrial design or build quality

It is the iPhone of consoles, Sup Forums will hate it.

When a worst version comes out, maybe with a broken android, Sup Forums will buy it (in alibaba full with maleware).

No unless you can install Gentoo on it

the only good touchscreen is no touchscreen

I wonder if they'll come out with a cheaper non mobile version, just like how they came out with the 2DS because people don't use the 3D gimmick after all.

No
I might consider it if it gets hacked and I can run emulators on it.
also

It's obsolete right out of the gate: it uses a Tegra X1 when it could have been an X2. Why? Nintendo, I guess.

I was just thinking, like a little PSTV, and way cheaper, although something about that screams failure.
Maybe they're using X1 on a smaller node for better battery life?

there is a watch general, a trap and a chinese ebay thread and this is not technology

Why always so retarded, Sup Forums?

nope.nx

No. It's just a locked down android tab with more childrens games.

>It's obsolete right out of the gate: it uses a Tegra X1 when it could have been an X2. Why? Nintendo, I guess.
This might come as a surprise to you, but it's probably been in development for longer than a day.

nice garbage graphic chart

feel free to post something better.

>GPU performance = video game quality

>Lots of causals buy it = video game quality

When the wii U ends up the only console that reliably outputs 1080p 60fps in an online shooter then fuck your GPU performance, I'm happy with games made by competent programmers.

Yes, nu/g/ approves because it has Nvidia stuff in it.

>comparing 2007 numbers
Yeah, nice trick.

This is about Sup Forums approved, not Sup Forums approved

X1 is old ass hardware

There is too much wrong with it technically for me bother typing, but if they released a Metroid game at least as good as Fusion on it I would go buy a Switch that same day.

Unfortunately that won't happen.

What Metroid is to you, Zelda is to tons of people. They don't care about technically inferior hardware.

I recalled that specific image from memory. I can't be bothered to do an up to date comparison. If you want to, be my guest

this

I buy nintendo stuff pretty much for zelda and nothing else. (Although I usually just buy the input hardware and emulate)

I think it was fairly obvious in my post that I would completely ignore all the technical faults with the Switch if it allowed me to play something I've been pining for for the last decade.

I enjoy Zelda games quite a bit, as well, but I won't buy a Switch for them.

>old snapdragon is faster then docked switch

This is all you need really. The whole "Scaling a picture of the console" is also quite misleading (Wider consoles have bigger size)

Brand new S835s are only $30 a pop.
High performance, really efficient, cool running. Everything the Switch's shit tier Tegra X1 isn't.

The question is: How much power do you need to run a nice looking Mario/Zelda game.
Whereas i don't really think something like HD Rumble is a killer feature, I wouldn't either say, that more computing power would benefit Zelda or Mario Kart etc.
What I would appreciate:
Cheaper (no gimmicks)
More open (with a browser and some apps it could be a substitute for a tablet, also I would like to tinker with the IR-camera etc.)
A new Metroid

Also something, that is rarely mentioned:
Nintendo is the savior of local coop with the switch.
You always have two controllers with you and you're also able to connect up to 4 (or 8?) Nintendo Switch via Adhoc.
The possibility of easy (big screen) Monster Hunter Lan parties would be a big selling point for my kind of people

It's a video game console, no

>How much power do you need to run a nice looking Mario/Zelda game.
As it looks, more than this. New zelda isnt very good looking at all, but the switch still only does 900p 30fps. It's pretty bad when it cant even do 1080p at launch.

fpbp

I've preordered 4 of these for family members.

How does the Nintendick feel in your butt?

I got hopes for the switch, but that all they are, hopes. That basic concept of ninety combining their portable and home hardware is a good one, if only because it means access to more games with a single device.

The GPU doesn't really matter. Only idiots care more about that than the quality of the games, I think it's a valid business choice to not even try to compete on that front.

There are a lot of things that worry me though.
The price. It seems fine at first, until you factor in how weirdly expensive all the peripherals are. It really starts to rack up if you want a pro controller or a second set of joycons. And then there's the fact that you'll probably want to buy memory cards and battery packs. It all adds up.

The second presentation focused on the motions controls, which no one cares about any more, and completely ignored the portable aspect in terms of games announced.

And the online charge is bullshit, obviously.

And there the probability that they'll continue to mishandle the virtual shop catalogue. If buying a switch gave me access to all classic ninety titles at a reasonable price, with a great selection at launch and a good release schedule for more it would add SO MUCH value. The switch has the potential to be a machine that lets you play every Zelda ever released, but it probably wont be.

I agree that this is a plus

>Slower version of X1
>512 GFLOPS of compute performance
>2.5 hours of battery
>$300
>No games
>Paid online
>Motion control gimmick
>32GB of memory
>Probably gonna lose 3rd party because of low specs
I was excited for it but this is a huge fucking mess.
Might get it later when Mario comes out.

>battery life
I'm sorry to bring it to you but this is a home console not a handheld console, battery life doesn't matter as much. You play the games with the AC plugged in and on a big TV for the best experience. And, if you want to, you can bring it with you to play anywhere you want. Of course the battery won't perform like the 3DS, but that's not the point.
Switch was never intended to be the next 3DS, its the next nintendo home console.

I wish i could bring my PS4 to the loo and keep playing japanese anime game while i poo for hours like a real man.

HD rumble doesn't affect battery life, the controllers have their own batteries and only draw power if the Switch is charging

>home console
It's less powerful than a fucking flagship phone.

No
>>>Sup Forums

Yeah i don't know about that but in any case your flagship phone can't run the next zelda. Maybe there's something else going on than muuh power.

>muh zelda
enjoy your no 3rd party support because of shit hardware

If it gets hacked, yes; if not, no. If it doesn't get hacked, it's just an underpowered locked down tablet/pseudo-console. If it does get hacked, then we're looking at possibly the best mobile emulation machine to date.

Not gonna lie, the paid online is pretty bullshit. I hope Nintendo is getting their act together and unifying all their services under one account. I wanna be able to log into my Nintendo account, manage all my Nintendo devices, decide whether or not to subscribe to online, etc. It should be like Battle.net, you have all that shit at your fingertips. And since they're charging money now, the online better be top fucking quality and they better have tons of great online multiplayer games to take advantage of it. Splatoon 2 and Super Smash Brothers ain't gonna cut it. And for fuck's sake, put Monster Hunter on it.

• flagship phone: 700usd
• that shit: 300usd

at least compare it to other consoles

>implying there would even be a big screen monster hunter when nintendo is dead set on continuing the 3DS generation + beyond
LMAOOOO

i rather not play it at all than at worthless 30 fps

>I wish i could bring my PS4 to the loo and keep playing japanese anime game while i poo for hours like a real man.
2bh you could probably find a vita for super cheap and do exactly that
but w/e

well you also need a flagship phone to use basic online services on the switch like matchmaking, parties, and voice comm

more like $400 for a phone with 820

by changing subject so quickly you're implying that i am right (which i already knew), thank you for that.

>enjoy your no 3rd party support because of shit hardware
I really don't care about that, i don't buy nintendo. Go back to now

see this

cpus in phones are dirt cheap
see

actually, the only flagship phone is the iPhone m8.

>>capacitive touch screen
You're a member fucking mong .. It's a necessity these days except on laptops
>>shit os
Nintendo was always proprietary. If it bothers you that much wait 20 years for a freetard alternative or don't play shit.
>>paid online
What is XBOX live
What is PSN
What is WOW
>>no App Store
Nintendo e-store?
>>no multimedia functionality
Yes it does. Toasters can do Netflix and YouTube these days.
>>no games
Launching with atleast 23 titles and shit ton in development. Also people get Nintendo consoles for their games anyway.

Yeah good job bringing that up out of nowhere then.

>What is XBOX live
>What is PSN
>What is WOW
Shitty money grubbing tactics

The battery life sucks, yeah. But at least the charging is via USB-C, so you can use a portable charger or whatever.

Yes. But the point was that it's not something outrageously new that deserves a mention.

THIS THING WILL DO VERY WELL AND HERE'S MY REASONS WHY:

1. It gets people out of the house
2. First console to play full AAA titles in handheld form
3. Micro SD card support up to 2TB ( of course only 512GB exists in the real world currently)
4. USB-C charging means you can just use the external battery you use for charging your phone on the go to charge the Switch
5. Future proof because Nintendo will have access to new more powerful and power efficient NVIDIA chips every fucking year so they can upgrade it every fucking year like Apple does for iPhones.

Any reason why they went with Tegra 1 then?^

Maybe nvidia sold Nintendo their unused shield batch for a very cheap price. Switch = maxwell confirmed.

>Maybe nvidia sold Nintendo their unused shield batch for a very cheap price
That explain a lot because nobody seems to want the fucking things.
Absolutely not, I have no idea why they went the direction they did. Is this really the replacement for the Wii U? This is retarded, on every front but especially on the technical side of things. I mean, NVidia? The company that has a history of fucking over their console customers? Both Microsoft and Sony learned the hard way that NVidia are not good playmates, it'll be interesting to see what they'll do to piss Nintendo off.

I dunno. What the fuck is it? Why do you think that you need my approval? I'm not your alcoholic father, and I really don't care what you do.

If it makes you feel better though: how many girls have called you today, son? Really, zero? Well how many called you yesterday? Zero too huh? Well let's do the math then. Zero plus zero equals fag.

>Any reason why they went with Tegra 1 then?^
Who knows. Nvidia probably just gave Nintendo a very good price on the Tegras.

One thing that is certain is that nVidia are notoriously difficult to work with. Microsoft ditched them in favor of ATI after nVidia refused to lower prices on the OG Xbox's GPU. Sony learnt their lesson when nVidia ripped them off on the PS3' GPU. Now it's Nintendo's turn to deal with nVidia's shenanigans.

Don't get me wrong, they are great at designing chips, just as soon as they collaborate with another company everything falls apart.

(OP)
A.Seasoned hacker
B.Do want 3ds Pokemon Interstellar and Mario-Fart 8
C.Switch is Shit, but will try it.
D.Picrelated about the fanboys and ignorant children

>The performance:battery life is ridiculous.
it's literally better than any portable gaming device ever made

>what is psp

>on par with the vita
>everyone was raging at sony for the horrendous vita battery life, even though the vita can handle things like basic voice chat while the Switch can't
>but its ok when nintendo does it
*yawns*

yeah, I guess when you compare how relative the performance is to the time, then yeah the PSP blows it out of the water. I remember getting 5 hours of GTA on that thing. It was beautiful
yeah it's basically nintendos vita, but yes their online bullshit is pretty stupid

I mean, the vita:ps3 is basically what the switch is to the xbone. so delivering 3 hours of cut down next gen is not very different from the vita

hopefully the specs on how long it takes to charge and shit is not true and it'll take a fast charge when not being used

Honestly, if Sony was actually worth anything anymore, they would have seen the switch coming, and fully supported the Vita as a direct competitor (maybe even announcing a Vita Slim+ or some shit).

But no, they had to let that beauty die in the West. It was ahead of its time really, only dragged down by awful Sony decisions. Shame too, the tech inside the Vita (especially the original model with that oled) is fucking insane.

I know; the PSP basically defined my teenage years so I was all on board with the VIta. Even Uncharted impressed me, and the gyroscope aiming was incredible combined with the analog sticks. MGS HD collection was GOAT too.

then there was no God of War, no Grand Theft Auto, no Star Wars games... and nothing new. Gravity Rush I guess? Was that supposed to replace patapon and the dozen other gems on the PSP? It really was a shame

I'll be getting a switch because I want zelda and my friends like mario kart; that's about it

hopefully some of those 80 gamesin development are worth something

No

>It's really underpowered for its current price.
This argument is starting to piss me off. Underpowered compared to fucking what exactly?

I'm sorry, but I really don't know any devices in that form factor that are cheaper, and if you haven't noticed smaller devices with performance tend to cost more than huge fucking slabs of plastic and steel with the same performance.

Pretty soon Nintendo games will be on steam just like Sega.

Not even that much, Lenovo sells a phone with the sd820 for $160 right now.

Most Nintendo products would not really be considered Sup Forums approved, since Nintendo has a tendency to use older hardware, and does not play well with homebrew groups. If you're going to buy a Switch, buy it because you want to play certain Nintendo games, not because you think it might be a good tech purchase.

>Last gen Tegra X1
It's trash.

Absolutely not.

>very low 720p res screen
>very weak GPU (~200 GFLOPS of FP32 vs ~400 GFLOPS on adreno 530 found on most phones today)
>dogshit 2-3 hour of gameplay battery life

A ton of children and brain damaged people will still buy this turd nintendo has shit out like though.

To top it all off, the games will be cracked and an android nintendo switch emulator will be made.

So just stick with your oneplus 3T/ Samsung S7 and a bluetooth controller if you're still a manchild that likes to play vidya.

If adreno 530 has so many gigaflops, why do all the games on phones look like trash? What's the trick?

lazy devs and thermal throttling
put s835 in the same form factor as the switch and it will have plenty of room for proper heatsink

>720p
>low res

Not using well optimized vulkan

>530
>most phones
I think you mean 406

most phone games are made to run on shit phones to get more sales
It's like asking why devs aren't making games that run only on titan xp

Dead.
On.
Arrival.

>360 not the most powerful

We have more than angry birds and minecraft now, dipshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=2CjbdLyJzzA
youtube.com/watch?v=gP2ZnVuLzgE

most of these games are compatible with a bluetooth controller too.

So isn't that essentially saying that performance means nothing? Because it does mean nothing when you're not using it.

Those look worse than Switch games, and Switch games aren't exactly the epitome of graphics.

Honestly I think Monument Valley is way more visually stunning than Asphalt. In the same way Journey looks so much better than any CoD.

No, that's not what it essentially means. The performance still exists and can be utilized by devs who want to use it and exclude shitty third worlders.

Also, you only think Switch games look better because you're a fan of the franchises. They're both technically on par. That shit rendering distance in breath of the wild is absolutely horrendous.