HAS INTERNET DESTROYED YOUR LIFE LIKE IT DESTROYED MINE?

How internet has destroyed my life:

>1. Be a kid in a little village in the middle of nowhere. Go online in the late 90s and pretend to be a 21 years old guy. Make my own website, make friends with all kinds of cool people (nerds) on IRC, get free games to review them in my online website pretending im old, etc. Suddenly I don't feel alone, I feel surrounded by geniuses.

>2. Get interested in many topics. Start swallowing information non-stop.

>3. Once I notice it the internet as gone to shit. Everything is mainstream, cookies, Facebook... the quality of the debate goes down. Literally idiots throwing bullshit everywhere.

>4. Now I can't visit mainstream websites because I get angry at the comments or even the news. Start to feel alone again, thinking about banning all news from entering my mind except a couple blogs and some bitcoin news.

I feel alone online. The online world is cold and shitty. I have been over-exposed to everything, including females, due to the internet. I am suffering pos-traumatic stress or PTS symptoms.
I felt safe and loved online, but now I see it as a battleground full of idiots. It doesn't feel warm.

It has fucked me seriously.
I know that playing videogames is healthier for me because I release good feeling hormones and stress.

I don't believe in democracy just because of the low level of information than most people have, and the lack of logic skills that they show.

I'm going back to loneliness. I will only follow the books feed out of KurzweilAI, the Agingsciences blog by Vince Giuliano, the coins market and IQs corner.

I am going back to the early 90s.

I know most of you are fucked too, or will be. Share your stories.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O8DXE5Sx5m8
youtube.com/watch?v=cG57mPMiJvw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Start to feel alone again, thinking about banning all news from entering my mind except a couple blogs and some bitcoin news.
i pretty much did this. only Sup Forums and a few selected irc-channels for me.

I know that feel.

Still go to IRCs and invite-only forums which consists like

move to darknet

>t. normie that has watched one DeepWeb video from DangerDolan
Literally fuck off

I miss being only guy throwing bullshit everywhere

listen fucko

>I once felt unique but now there's normies everywhere!

Thanks for the blog post

Maybe you should just try something different instead of staying with the same old crap and hoping it will always be as good as its peak. Join a successful startup while you can.

look like a thread which show you're fucked up

go back to play video games hard kid

Eternal September all over again..

Well, I don't know if it was like your life because your blogpost was way too long for me to read, but excessive usage of the internet since I was 7 years old has led to me having zero hobbies outside of the internet, and the websites I do visit are dwindling in number.

It's bothersome because I have no interest in programming, webdev, etc. Just browsing and consuming. It also caused me to abandon other hobbies like playing and fixing guitars.

What are you even talking about? Go back to your designated areas Koothrapali, and come back once You've grasped English.

you're boring me

Because the modern web, in its always-connected high-speed form, is basically dopamine on drip.

>I have no interest in programming, webdev, etc. Just browsing and consuming.
You are the source of the problem

I failed to see some kind of story here. You said that you made a bunch of friends, never mentioned them again and somehow everything is shit now.

>Eternal September all over again..
Except now it's fucking everywhere.

please fuck off already.

darknet is just as accessible as normal web to date.

Except, ironically, Usenet and BBS, where the terms first came from.

But then again it's mostly because people only go to those technologies to escape the 'Eternal September' of the web.

>the problem
What problem? There will always be more consumers than producers. I don't understand this ideology where you think every user of the internet must be a programmer, or that Sup Forums is the programming and Linux board.

My take on this is that English is too accessible for normies. In the early days we should have decided to create a hybrid natural conlang and PL that by design is too difficult for normies to learn. At the very least we should have adopted lojban. Instead we opted to make even our programming languages more Englishy, hence today we've arrived the point where Karlie Kloss thinks she can code.

Yep

I should have been on a sports team or something. Would probably have increased my test and made me taller and swoler

Instead I stayed inside playing runescape

I want to go back

Dark and deep aren't the same word.

>telling the normies about that

youtube.com/watch?v=O8DXE5Sx5m8

That doesn't solve the issue that all the new people coming would have just spoke English and swamped the old guard.

>I feel alone online. The online world is cold and shitty.
I share your exact experience (same history, grew up in a village and 90s internet was where I first encountered like minded people). Interestingly though, back in ~2007 when the web 2.0 was still in its infancy, I made a twitter account and thought that the whole augmented reality internet (now "social media") is going to be the fucking best thing ever. Back then I didn't realize what the internet actually was for me.

MUH
SECRET
CLUBHOUSE

And I'm not even ashamed to admit it. Fuck social media, fuck the web 2.0 and fuck all the casuals, shitting up the only place where I ever felt home.

Wtf does darknet even mean
It's just another buzzword
There's private websites, then there's sites that aren't even on the internet, then there's tor hidden services

>dear tumblr
>I got triggered today and I long for yesteryear

Someone spent too much time in their safe space, and that is coming from someone who's life after work is bedside shitposting.

Sometimes that really gets me depressed and I start watching old tape recordings of TV in the 90s or boot up my old Vaio PCG-C1 running Windows 98 just to pretend that I still live in simpler times. In times when the average person still had an attention span and PDAs or laptops were the only things close to a """smartphone"""

>fuck web 2.0

This so much. Pure HTML sites have their own sort of beauty in their simplicity. I always love how their pages have comments in them to remind them about all their bullshit table and layout hacks.

And I never get the moral high-ground people try to climb up to in order to say we have no right to feel angry or sad that something we love or enjoy is being taken from us.

"You just hate it because new people came and changed it."

Yes, we do. And what's wrong with that?

>Wtf does darknet even mean
>It's just another buzzword
It's exactly what's wrong with this world. It's normalfags trying to understand an Internet that goes beyond Facebook and other centralized services.

>"You just hate it because new people came and changed it."
This tbqh

The implication is that normal, well-adjusted adults can handle and accept change without throwing a fit. Because you are throwing a fit, you are not a normal adult, but in fact an autistic person whose rituals were upset.

The reality is that very few people are okay with things important to them changing drastically as a result of newcomers. The only difference between "lol autist muh sekrit kulb" spouters and you is that they don't really a give a shit about the internet.

As if normies would spend any time learning how to set up an NNTP client or the pure-text nature of telnet/ssh BBSing.

>Sports makes you taller

That's whole new level of retardation.

I've lost a few inches due to hunching over a PC screen

>Join a successful startup while you can.

Being this dumb.
I bet 10 years ago you would have recommended MLM to people.

Newsflash
Move out of >>little village in the middle of nowhere
And go to some place with some academic stuff going on.
While I completely agree on the internet going total normie apeshit,
theres nothing better than having a few phds in your regular acquaintances.

I often believe that a lot of people who welcome change for the sake of change often don't believe in anything, or hold anything dear.

And for all their defence of the change of the web they very rarely can defend it by arguing its case. It's just "you just hate change," with no mention of what improvement the change brought.

Growing up sucks. Welcome to the club. By the way, you was as stupid before as those you complain about, you just didn't care and notice it back then and don't remember it now.

>Growing up sucks.

Even people who were already "grown up" say this kind of thing. If you watch the BBS documentary there's people who would have been in their 40s when BBS gave way to the web who say of that change what we say now.

To hand-wave it so simply takes away the change for any sort of thinking or investigation into what is responsible.

>what is responsible
lack of new experiences

what you're adressing as "deep web" are private networks and servers, nothing interesting for most people. and the "darknet" is mostly a bunch of edgy sites, mailservers and copies of clearwebsites.

Story reminds me of me, only s/internet/university/g
The internet too, but IMHO world got cold in the 20th century. Chasing interesting stuff always brought me to old books where the topic was already completed and past.

The equivalent to these nowadays are in different niches, the Tor, I2p, IPFS, Ethereum or ZeroNet communities. Take a walk there and the feeling will be similar.

Any other community that is interesting to add?

Not him but I believe that's fallacious thinking. I accept change because change is inevitable, and it's the only thing that expands on our knowledge and leads to what is commonly known as wisdom as a result. Being unaccepting of the fact of change only leads to an unhappy life because unfortunately for you people, change is going to happen anyway. Being bitter over it is useless; do what humans are notorious for. Adapt. If you fail to adapt, then clearly you're not fit for the world.

I grew up in Africa. The internet has made me richer than I ever thought I could be. I only shitpost on Sup Forums for laughs.

>refers to twittard as augmented reality
get off the internet (((Trump))) day one of the first actual job youve ever had starts today.

Nigerian prince, is that you?

what's up my brother
youtube.com/watch?v=cG57mPMiJvw

Tyrone?

Are you serious? You're going to argue with the guy and then literally admit you have no idea what you're talking about? Shit. This is what happens when Sup Forums is plastered on the news and in shitty youtube videos.

> websites that aren't even on the internet
U wot m8

Accessible via VPN or other protocols only

Still on the internet,chap

Technically, no it's intranet

You're making it worse on yourself. It is still on the internet. If your pc wasn't connected to the internet you would have no way of connecting to a vpn, proxy, or any of what you're talking about

> thinking about banning all news from entering my mind except a couple blogs and some bitcoin news

did that and i'm ok with it. anything worth of notice will eventually come to your ears/eyes.

most of the time news is about entertainment not about not giving meaningful information

>(((Trump)))
Why would you do that? Just go on the internet and use a meme incorrectly?

it would keep most stupid users away if that was actually a requirement.

>expands on our knowledge and leads to what is commonly known as wisdom as a result
Facebook and Youtube do neither.

>Being unaccepting of the fact of change only leads to an unhappy life because unfortunately for you people, change is going to happen anyway.
That is defeatist. Not only that, but change can be forced against the will of the people who experience it.

> If you fail to adapt, then clearly you're not fit for the world.
So, an American should learn Spanish and a European should convert to Islam, is what you're saying?

How old are you? That's what we called it in the mid-2000s, when Web 2.0 consisted of nothing but tech-demos.

Cheer up my brotha, startups are all the hype right now.

Answer me this question: which is going to make you more wealthy?

- Joining a successful startup
- Being sarcastic on an anonymous online image board

>I know that playing videogames is healthier for me because I release good feeling hormones and stress.

Playing games is just fooling yourself and you know it.
What you need is the feeling of achieving something through self improvement.
Sure you get that feeling from games to some extent, but it's just completing a set of tasks others have done too and receiving a pat on the back in the form of an "achievement completed!" shoutout by the game.
Which is bullshit.

I know exactly what you're feeling and when I got into learning art, it got a whole lot better.
Now I'm just dedicating time for self improvement and slowly growing a customer base, mostly composed of sad motherfuckers who basically live through people like me, who are able to create and bring their ideas to reality.
Some of those customers are filthy rich too, so even having a lot of money doesn't necessarily make you happy.
What you need to do is cut yourself off from the normie population and the gaymers and you need to get on the path of rising above them.
Stop visiting news sites and facebook. That leads to nothing.
Besides that form of existence is utter bullshit and will always have you depressed in one way or another.
There's no self improvement or meaningful achievement happening there. It's just consuming and playing games and building in identity through avatars etc..
Start by going to the gym, eat healthier foods. pick up a pen, craft something. Figure out a way to make money from the masses of consumers while doing what you really love.
Anything just as long as it's not this mindless form of consuming time wasting entertainment or reading idiotic comments on news sites.
Because it's just like you said, a battlefield of idiots and you achieve fuckall by participating there.

>Start by going to the gym, eat healthier foods.
To live longer for... what?

Screw that longevity stuff, it's simply to feel better.
If your body doesn't function, you're going to feel like shit no matter what you do and this leads to you not being able to think properly.
It all starts from having a healthy body and mind. From there you can start building a better life.
I spent 3 years glued to my computer nonstop and sitting on a bad chair destroyed my body to a point where I had to go to a hospital due to utterly fucked up back, which led to a constant state of physical stress.
Took me a year to fix it and now with a better diet and some exercise, it's a whole different state of being and it's great.
Give it a shot, it's not like you have anything to lose.
Especially if you're already a part of the mass, that always feels like shit and tries to find some form of escapism in playing games or consuming.

Kek

Just program your own 90s-like world in VR

This.
I've been unhappy with myself generally especially since I'd spend 8+ hours easy on weekends when I don't have Uni, even by then I spend 4+ hours even do I have to work on my fucking thesis.

I've cut down my PC playing to 4 hours every weekend, and on weekdays only if I have to use the PC for papers or if I absolutely need to. I've also joined the local soccer team so I can play on weekends. Gave up on junk food and started eating decent meals, nothing too fancy just well balanced meals and fruits after a meal. I don't even go to the gym and I've lost 20KG in 4 months.

All heavy internet use as a kid did to me was evolve me far faster than my peers around me and effectively cause self-exclusion, because everyone is on step #5 while I'm on step #42.

It's not bad, it's not good. It's sort of like that friend of yours that just recently picked up dark side of the moon and he's trying to get you to listen to it, after he ignored your suggestion of it 15 years ago.

No I think two decisions kind of ruined my social life.
1. My parents put me on a high school an hour traveling away. So my friends could never come over. And my parents always asked me to be home in time.
2. My parents always told me not to get a job. So I was always too poor to do anything.

Im old enough to take direction of my own life, but I feel these two harmless decisions ensured I always stayed at home.

Oh it's this thread again! fear starting to set in because you're realizing you're a failure?

The internet did not destroy your life, you simply grew up and had to start judging it for what it was the whole time.

1. You felt at home at these sites/IRC because they were effectively a circlejerk or echo chamber in which you only converse with people who say the same things. So any step away from this is going to be seen as negative by you.

2. Did you know you can still do that? "Oh but nothing interests me anymore". That's because you've let yourself become a loser.

3. "Normies" were there the entire time, they were just on other sites or other IRC channels, that you were a little baby unwilling to ever try.

4. You have fallen for your own circlejerk tactics and this is completely your fault. By the way, just like all the other "geniuses" in your gay little circlejerk, they are probably retarded just like you and still poor. Nobody's ever going to admit this which is why you are stuck in this void between "mainstream sites" and "geniuses", you think you are too smart for one but you really aren't enough to fit back in with the other one.

>I am going back to the 90s
Yes and an 80s shit would try to go back to the 80s, same for 70s. Nostalgia is 110% cancer for this reason, you think you're experiencing a high but now you're distancing yourself from everyone and everything.

You are NOT different from other nostalgia shits, your memories are 100% WORTHLESS. You have retroactively only removed the bad things in your past which leads you to believe that it was some lost golden era, when it was shit the whole time.

Stop making this fucking thread. It doesn't help. What helps is owning reality and making the best of what you have now.

I'm really giving up on online discussion. The signal to noise ratio in most places is just too low in any place that isn't considered dead by modern standards. People just seem to have no ability to self moderate anymore and most sites have grown past what volunteer moderators can realistically moderate. This is really visible on more mainstream sites like reddit where you can see conversation on any remotely mainstream subreddit get drown out by irrelevant jokes and other shit that's basically spam. I tried reading an AMA on there recently and the only way to actually get anything out of it was to go through the post history of the guy doing the AMA. Hell, with the amount of meme spam today in place of actual conversation, a chatbot could impersonate quite a good portion of posters on the internet.

>1. You felt at home at these sites/IRC because they were effectively a circlejerk or echo chamber in which you only converse with people who say the same things. So any step away from this is going to be seen as negative by you.
Throughout my time on the internet I've actively tried to avoid echo chambers and find people who hold opposing views to talk to. This is becoming harder and due to how many communities today are just echo chambers where no one is actually willing to discuss things that challenge their views, and simply pointing out a logical problem or a bad source from someone who shares my views gets met with aggression.

>You are NOT different from other nostalgia shits, your memories are 100% WORTHLESS
I'm this poster here: , if you look at archived versions of websites and go back just a few years you can see the difference in post length and the amount of on topic vs off topic posts.

Just so we're clear, I'm the guy (he was replying to) and I have absolutely no clue what the fuck I'm talking about.

most of the memesters actually are scripts

why do you think rebbid banned memes?

10y ago
>>Cheer up my brotha, MLM are all the hype right now.
>>Answer me this question: which is going to make you more wealthy?

See what I mean?

Please stop soliciting poor people into overworking themselves for peanuts with the promise of unlikely great wealth.

The problem is that the internet got commercialized to the extreme. It's all about selling you something. Articles are not actually articles but advertisements for products. Can't find any of the good stuff because it gets sunk beneath clickbait 10 photo articles on shitty sites which normies love, which gives more money to them, which in turns produces more of those shitty pseudo-advertisement sites that further cover up all the good content.

What was the name of that space website that was so thorough that even NASA used to use it for info?

Kek