Is any resolution above 1080p a meme?

Is any resolution above 1080p a meme?

until tv and video clips ALL become 4k or above it is indeed a meme

Depends on size of screen

Getting a 4K today is still a nice investment.

Although it's not super useful today, considering most videos/movies are not 4K yet. If you've got a shit ass good graphics card and can play games on ultra settings with 60+ FPS with 4K resolution, then yes 4K is nice as fuck.

Nearly everything you can't afford is "a meme."

only if you are poor

As long as all source material is riddling with artifacts, yes.

this is the correct answer

i couldnt imagine how tiny everything would look on my monitor if everything were half as small.
i find 1080p very small already

Only in smartphones.

It's impossible in phones until batteries git gud (read: never).

1080p is the 768p of desktop screens. It just won't go away.

I dunno. I prefer 144 hz 1080p to 4k or 1440p. The smoothness is just incredible. 1080p works quite nicely and I don't see a reason to upgrade until 4k 144hz becomes mainstream

This. I use 27'' monitors and 1080p on those is as awful as 1366x768 on laptops.

>Is any resolution above 1080p a meme?

For gaming?
Yes.

For video media?
No, it's worth it.
4K movies/tv is actually really awesome.

streaming 4k shows won't take off in the usa due to data caps

poor America, the greatest thing about Europe is unified net neutrality laws

also. Have fun with trump regarding the topic :/

I agree 4K isn't good for games obviously because most games don't have the texture quality

1440p is barely noticeable below 30inch monitor which is again autistic for gaming

More resolution is ALWAYS better, anyone claiming otherwise doesnt actually work on their computers.

Go edit a 1080p video in 1440p or 4k and you'll understand.

You have a full 1080p preview of the file you're editing AND you still have all your editing tools on screen available to use.

With a 1080p monitor you're resizing the source to 720p and editing it, or you're using a monitor to display the source at 1080p and another monitor for your editing tools.

Honestly, how many people are editing video?

If you mention YouTube, just kill yourself first

>1440p is barely noticeable below 30inch monitor

What the fuck am I reading? 4k certainly, but 1440p hits that sweet spot where the diminished returns don't buttfuck you like 4k.

I'm on a 27inch, the difference is very noticeable if you work with a lot of text and multitasking. Calling it barely noticeable is something I really don't understand unless you have vision problems. I have two 1080p monitors to the left and right of me and it's not hard to tell at all. I don't game.

That's a single example, if you can't think of any other uses for more resolution then I just can't help you.

If you program it means you can have your text editor open and a resource page open on the same monitor.

If you transcribe documents you can have both your documents open at once at or near their full resolution. Etc, etc.

More resolution means more space to work and more information you can display on the same monitor.

Anyone who works with live stock information needs to have 10+ graphs displayed at once, you can buy 4 1080p monitors, or a SINGLE 40" 4k display.

Hmmm wonder which I'd rather do.

Yeah posters like that I disregard entirely, they're just talking out of their asses.

I have two 2560x1440p and for awhile I was running a single 2560x1440p and a 1920x1080p side monitor, but the pixel density difference was pissing me off so I replaced it with another 1440p, there is a massive difference even at just 25" 1440p from a 24" 1080p.

i'd rather have multiple monitors

It's not as bad as the SSD is a meme retards.

I will never understand them. Do they leave MPC or MPV open all day?
SSDs close the bottleneck so much that even the fucking retards in my company notice the difference immediately.

Just another contrarian bandwagon I guess. 4k really doesn't have value though, not yet and not for a while. Get a Korean 1440p monitor and overclock the refresh rate, the value is insane.

Right now I am running 2x Dell U2414H, both 1080p. I want to switch at least the main one for a 1440p monitor. I've been looking around but I can't seem to find a proper one. Some have nice aesthetics but shit specs, and other have absolutely disgusting gaming looks but great specs although more expensive.

If anyone experienced in this matter is reading this, could you please guide me in the right direction to choose a proper monitor? I don't need you to spoonfeed me, I just want something good to compare.

Thanks.

Okay? Get multiple higher resolution monitors.

I have two 1440p for 5120x1440p desktop space. Two 1080p monitors is only 3840x1080.

It's all about Korea, my new friend.
I haven't done my research in the last few months, but the QNIX 2710 is still just fine because diminished returns are kicking in big time with monitors. I got mine for $200 a year ago and overclocked it to 110hz with no problems.

If someone knows the latest Korean value monitor, please let me know. At least ~110hz capable.

I'm not new. I know korean monitors are popular here.

However, I am all against buying anything that's not a recognised brand such as Asus, Dell, Acer, Samsung, etc. I can't stand having dead pixels on arrival or shit colors.

Don't buy into that paranoid bullshit. Yeah it happens but recognize the bias among people who scout for these types of monitors and their tendency to flame at any dead pixel. Textbook bias i'd think.

But to each his own, I understand risk. I think newegg has that pixel perfect bullshit. I roll my dice and have won every-time.

Pay more for a pixel perfect model.

The panels are the same panels used by Dell, Asus, Samsung, etc.

1080p 144hz > 4k 60hz

For gayming MAYBE, for literally anything else, 4k is better assuming you're on a 40" screen.

Yeah I meant for gayming kek

1440p 144hz > both

>40" screen
Fucking really? yeah 4k probably makes sense at that point but I would prefer 1440p at 30" over that shit anyday.

I feel like I couldn't even have a cozy multi-monitor setup with such a clunky over engineered gimmick.

I'd have to give it a fair go though, I just can't imagine it being comfortable.

If I wanted that I would just buy an ultrawide for more utility

yeah that's the sweet spot ;)

what sort of gpu combo do you need to get 144fps @ 1440p on a proper AAA game (not csgo, league of legends bullshit) at proper details?

yeah, thought so

yeah 40" 4k is garbage :^)

>he can't play games at anything but the HIGHEST quality settings because his taste is so superior to that of us mere mortals

just kill yourself, if you can't turn the settings down to where you get playable FPS, what the fuck are you doing with your life? Do you still get mommy to cut the crust off your PB&J too?

>GPU combo
what the fuck is a GPU combo?

I have a 1070 slightly overclocked and with some settings/ini tweaks you will get 120ish even on witcher 3.

>vidya
I literally just open up vidya to see what my GPU can push out. Anything that can get over 90 fps is not worth bitching about. It's really all the same unless the frame-rate is unstable and tears (aka bad programming)

I never said anything about "can't turn the settings down". You're just projecting. Are you ok user?

I just ASKED. I can't play anything below 60 fps, so of course I lower down the details if my GPU can't push 60 fps on the game.

>I just ASKED
Okay little bitch boi, why end it with this then?
>yeah, thought so

No need for your shitty attitude like "HA of COURSE you can't. "

shit head

It's literally the reverse. Computer games already support high resolutions, while there's little video content in high resolution.

Get some help. You're overreacting over a mere discussion in an anime image board.

I would take two 1080ps and a 1440p in the middle any-day. Not even close. Single monitor is painful and I had to push that shit in my company because muh thin client costs.

>purple lights
>that keyboard if it's what I think it is
can you add me on steam? :^)

My specs are 980 2-way sli, i7 4790k and 16 gb ram and I easliy play gta v with 120 fps

Kek, good job retard.

You said something retarded and got defensive, and no when I call you out on it I need help and I'm overreacting?

Try again kiddo.

>I would take two 1080ps and a 1440p in the middle any-day. Not even close
You're a retard aren't you?

1080p + 1080p + 1440p is STILL less pixels than a SINGLE 3840x2160p panel.

And no bezels to deal with.

What advantage do bezels have?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you understand the difference in resolutions importance between vidya and chinese cartoons.
Upscaling is also just about the same shit as native 4k unless you are autistic like those tube amp fags in audio

Physical separation is necessary for some people, myself included.

Wew lad

Well enjoy your bezels mate

>more pixels
I don't even know what to say to this. 4K is so horrible in value I don't even care to buy it despite having more than enough money to do it. Let's not even discuss refresh rate.

Plenty of people prefer the field of view that multiple monitors inherently provide. 4k is a gimmick but it's slowly getting there. Single monitors are shit when the value isn't justified and multitasking becomes a head bobbing technique.

Single monitor bothers me more than 4k's value personally, I had to push that shit out in my company and people lied to me just to keep their multiple monitors because their coworkers bitched about monitor's being too wide to comfortably do multi-task excel monkey work on.

>4K is so horrible in value
literally how?

It's more screen real estate than 3x1080p, and costs only slightly more.

you realize a 40" 4k panel is LITERALLY 4x1080p panels on a single panel without bezels...right?

>let's ignore the value of refresh rate and solely stroke your dick over more pixels.

Why do you think monitor manufactures try and push those curved monitors?
I don't understand how people can't see the value in angled monitors on the left and right.
Personal preference is fine, I understand. Doing power-user work/multitasking or whatever meme is used today I find much more comfortable with multiple angled monitors.

4k will get there. too bad refresh rate on a 1440p chink monitor has the superior value for now.

>those curved monitors
almost no 4k panels are curved you fucking retard.

The ONLY curved monitors right now are 21:9 aspect ratio 2560x1080p or 3440x1440p

Also, unless you're gaming even 30hz is fine for desktop use.

60Hz is fine for movies and anime and such, 144hz is for gayming.

If you dont game, 60hz is all you need, if you literally just use the monitor as a text editor for programming, then even 30hz is fine.

>using 1080P in 2017

You is a meme and poor!

>watching Russian propaganda

kekkk

>If you dont game, 60hz is all you need
I was referring to the incentive to develop ANY resolution of curved monitor, read more carefully.
It obviously has a value, at least to certain people. Otherwise it wouldn't exist in any form.

60hz is OK. Yeah it's fine, no shit. Most people don't need to move beyond it at all.
Nobody is saying 144hz makes you more productive, it's just more satisfying to work on and hard to move back to 60hz once accustomed.

144Hz is nothing crazy in price today, let's not pretend it's the fucking macbook of refresh rates.

>1080P
Tell me what that P stands for without looking it up and I might listen.

Also
>chrome
>reddit newlines

Uh, even without gaming, 30hz for desktops is pretty nauseating. And the difference between 60hz and even 75hz is fairly noticeable, for me at least.

For movies and such sure, for text editing? Fuck off.

any pixel density higher than the resolution limit of the human eye at a given viewing distance is a meme.

>unless you're gaming even 30hz is fine for desktop use.

fuck no
even 60hz is borderline usable for anything (basic tasks like web browsing)

Text editing? Are you arguing about what fits your personal preference? What's the point in even mentioning that? I can't even comprehend your point other than it works for me.

30Hz is fucking disgusting unless you're living in the terminal/vim/emacs which is sadly the case for a select few on here, I guess. For any remotely normal person in today's world 30Hz would give a fucking headache. 99% of people actually move their cursor and windows around which is directly related to refresh rate.

>is X a meme?

no, grandpa, it isn't