What would you do if you received 8-10 P4 computers + a fuckton of old parts and cables?

What would you do if you received 8-10 P4 computers + a fuckton of old parts and cables?
asking for a friend

>asking for a friend
Lmao why did you steal a bunch of heavy ass, worthless shit?

didn't steal
it was a donation of old shit, and I was probably high as fuck when they said "10 computers and parts for free"

Make them into servers.

Maybe it's possible to use them in parallel but who knows.

You can probably scrap them for like 2-4 dollars per computer

If you know how to you could make them into arcade cabinets, most arcade games from the 90's and before should run perfectly fine even on old ass P4's

Power consumption my friend. Sell them to some retarded scrapper.

i found a core2duo among them
its running lakka perfectly fine
also build a retro pc for my young brother, he will experience warcraft, gta and half life like I did

I just don't know what to do with the rest of them

Also use them for overclocking practice.

nice
they are keeping the house warm even at stock speed

>pentium4
you'd need your own substation to run 10 of them in one room

I already have that

If theyre all lga 775 machines with decent p4's in them, refurb to working shape with windows xp or 7 and sell them for 10-20$ a pop on craiglist or something

People still buy old 775 systems for fun and web browsing
I buy them for cosmetic practice

Pic related, HP DC7700 ultra slim
C2d e6400, 1.5gb of ddr2 and a radeon hd 3450
Kinda shit but it was fun to work with, finally had use for all my plastidip and cable sleeves

build win 9x computers and sell them as retrogaming consoles. most people don't know how to set up a vm so they can play Journeyman Project. A p4 should do all emulation up to 5th gen okay.

use them for heating

Assemble a few computers with said old parts and gave some them some use, or donate them to some charity. Obviously with no less than 250 GB on HDD and 2 gigs of ram to make em useful.

>also build a retro pc for my young brother, he will experience warcraft, gta and half life like I did
why? do you hate him that much?
ohthehugemanatee.gif
The problems with some HP and dell computers are the propietary connectors on the PSU's
Other than that 775's offers some room to upgrade, like aquiring some core 2 duo cpu's and infuse extra life on those fuckers

If the hard drives are over 100GB, pull those and create a RAID for your own backups and stuff. Keep one or two and turn them into home servers. Sell the rest for scrap, or remove all heat sinks/thermal paste and fans, then use the CPUs for cooking.

RAID IS NOT BACKUP!!!!!

oh yeah its some bullshit
the psu only has a cpu 6 pin, one sata power and the proprietary mobo 20 pin
which is very compact, id actually think it would make a very good replacement for the 24 pin on atx mobo's, its like half the size

not even a spare molex for an led strip
is usb to molex a thing?
that sounds like a fire waiting to happen

Recycle P4s. They're useless AND non-collectible. If there are any Pentium 3s or older in that lot, save those, they are "retro" and actually worth something.

No, better idea. Smash them and upload to Youtube, so you can trigger the autistic children who hoard old PCs.

"1000 degree knife vs 1000 degree cpu"
I can see it now

Toss them or give it away.

Why would I care about a fuck ton of hardware so old that it's not that useful?

Use them as a raid solution, which is also a backup solution. Forever.

What is on the drives? 100TB+ of "raid is a backup solution" in plain text

then drive up to some rich person's house and pretend it's yours while you destroy them all in a unique way and put it on youtube

If its socket 775 keep it and put in some core 2 duo's in there

And then?

No, but it can be used to store backups.

Turn one into server
Make meme computers for relatives
keep any monitors you have desu
tear them down for parts
sell

then sell them or keep one as media center or retro gaming great for 1080p streaming great for that kind of thing remeber to keep the xp stickers you can sell those for a profit.

if you are not lazy you can make a project like pic related just for fun, sell or rent

> NAS Server
> MAME Arcade cabinets
> Shitposting machines
> Retrogaming systems for old consoles and PC Games

Or like say
> Build some computers and donate them to some charity.

Rebuild them all if broken and sell all but one. Then use the one to install a lightweight distro.

Arcade cabinets sound really fun to do. If you do it, post on diy

Is it easier to sell the whole computer or just the parts?
Will do with at least one

I was giving a fuckton of old part's and 12 HP machine's namely about 6 Elite 8000's, 3 7900's and forget the other model's 78's or 79's. Was selling them with legit upgrade windows 10 licenses to normie's on gumtree in the uk for half the refurb prices they were going for online and there was still next to no taker's. Got rid of most of them now and have 1 of the 8000's up and running and another that need's RAM and 3 79's that need RAM, HDD's too. Them 3 i couldn't even give away on fucking facebook. Reason why i don't think they sold so well is because i concisely described them when most retard's just put something like "pc want gone as upgraded has firecuck's" and fucker's on gumtree are so cheap even if you put the price is £50 - will not accept any less, do not ask" they still try.

The one's i sold i ended up having to mark them down to £30

ship them to fiji and start an internet cafe

Input 240V directly into mobo with an isolation transformer.

If you are into charity io can clean them, install a light linux distro and gift them to whoever needs them

It is normally -10 C in winter where I live, so the air intake to my servers is connected to the ventilation system, keeping the house nice and warm.

Make HowToBasic like videos with them, so some idiots can complain how you waste precious ressources. Of couse, while wearing a furry armor like that Claridge character.

Data mine the fucking HDDs you fool.

You can't kill fire with fire, user...

Start buying lots of old cheap PC parts and build some cool inexpensive shit.

Windows 98/95/DOS gaming computers.

Get a 88 key midi controller and build a slick PC synth and maybe an old DAW.

Build an old Linux box

Build a retro workstation for doing 3D/Video stuff.

Build a DVR.

Put an onahole in one and fuck it.

Connect two in series, set up as firewalls, bot using different versions to hinder penetration. Try Smoothwall, Moonwall and others with Snort.
Between these insert a honeypot with FTP server. On the FTP area place large files in a folder called, say, pr0n. This works every time. Once someone starts pulling a nice, juicy 500 MB file (say "hot_blondes.rar") a fourth machine starts backtracking who is doing the download, scan quickly and then cut the line before the intruder goes for counter-counter-measures.

fire up recuva on all hard drives, see if you can find anything interesting

already did, nothing but boring office stuff
most of them had network drives

Honestly, just keep them. In 10-20 years they'll be worth at least $100 a pop.

it depends on what they are, were they high-end P4s or just shitboxes?

they won't run much more than any system nowadays they just will do a lot less in what they do use

and power's cheap, get a job

some are 2.8~3.0ghz
a few have HT
512mb ram and 40~80gb hds with xp

was more asking if they were good flagship or at least mid-range systems in their own time but with those chips you could do some stuff if you really wanted

Good enough to run BOINC.

>Put an onahole in one and fuck it.
This is the only Sup Forums way to go about it, user.

use the cases for gaming pcs and scrap the insides (or sell them in bulk on ebay)

What kind of parts do they have? Those might be the only things that are salvageable (other than the Pentium 4s.)

as I said here no gpus, 250-350w psu
no big stuff

beowulf and write stuff in haskell 2 mine 4 magic internet money

Not even USB, FireWire and Wi-Fi cards?

Throw them out unless you're autistic. If so then try hard to reuse them even thought a rPi will outperform them.

nope
they're the default 2004 office computer

Then I guess salvage some hard drives, screws and fans and throw away everything else.

I wouldn't have accepted them in the first place. A computer that struggles to even run a modern web browser has absolutely zero use to me. You'd have to pay me to take them, and i'm not even joking.

ddos a small website

/thread

jesus you dolt just give them away on freecycle or something. poor students might take them for word processing or summat

ddos requires multiple internet connections, not (necessarily) multiple computers

I would try to stop the multiple orgasms from taking away all my energy.
It's good for retro shit/tinkering: both sw and hw like making an old isa card or some kind of serial/parallel interface, maybe even using the sound card.

It's also good for heating at winter, just switch on 5-10.

It depends on the raid type retard

Throw pirated windows 7 on and resell them for $100 each. Buy a hooker with the profit.

>Raspberry "just USB bus my shit up" Pi
>out-performing anything
back to the (((hackerspace))) my dumb hipster friends

Some of those motherboards might support a Core2 Duo, worth a look!

Some socket 775 mobos can't handle them.

I've never had a problem running new web browsers on P4s, are you another one of those retards that actually thinks software requirements advance at the same rate as hardware?

i would give them to someone else, they are fucking useless

I was faced with this exact scenario recently, got an entire school's worth of desktops for free. Like most people in here are saying, P4's are basically useless (too new and fast for retro systems, too weak and inefficient for even a good XP-era rig). Some of the very early P4's and Celerons are passable on Win98, if you can manage to find drivers.

Here's what I did:

1. Survey what you have, make sure they're all P4's. Boot them if possible, ideally (if they still have an XP install or something) let them boot into the OS so you can know the hard drive isn't dead.

1a. If you find anything older (P3, etc.) or newer (C2D, etc.) put these aside. These are worth keeping as complete systems.

2. Remove useful components. I take hard drives, CD/DVD drives, floppy drives if they use standard 34-pin cable.
RAM I usually take (DDR2 is good for some newer stuff; DDR you honestly might not even want, your call... don't think you'd have old enough stuff to get PC133 or anything like that, but take it if you do.)
SATA cables, IDE cables, FDD cables are all nice to have on hand, so take them.
Any GPU's you come across look up specs on, I kept a few half-height PCIe ones from SFF cases (useful for servers) and tossed everything else... not like you're going to find anything good for the era if they're your basic office PC.
If you're cheap or have a lot of old systems you actually keep around, consider taking the CMOS batteries (assuming they're not dead).

3. See if any of the cases are standard form factor. Dell are never standard. None of my HP models were. Some IBMs were mATX, all my Acers were mATX. If anything is standard form factor, remove the motherboard from it and keep the case+power supply, can use these as server/nas/etc. cases. Toss everything else.

4. Bring a computer or two to your local dumpster every few days.

All in all, it's a pretty big waste of time for little useful reward. I guess it depends on what you got, though.

strip (if burning them along with insulation is illegal) every fucking piece of cable, chokes, cases. sell it as scrap. recieve $50.
don't worry about PCBs, they'll be sent to random 3rd world country

that's really helpful, thank you

If they are erlier P4s then they are compatible with win98. Install that and sell them as retro gaymen machines on ebay